Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just got my hands on pigment powder, and will be trying out milk paint this weekend. I am cautiously optimistic, but I know that is the first step towards sorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I picked this up on craigslist last weekend. For free. Guy said he was building a staircase in his house and a neighbor took the opportunity to unload this saw on him for free, and now that the staircase is done he figured he'd pass it along via craigslist. Finally got a chance to clean it and get it set up.

http://imgur.com/a/i7jIh

The blade came in it, a fine tooth Diablo, and the guy also threw in a fine toothed 10" blade that fits my miter saw. Plus there's a power strip mounted to the other side of the cart. It had a ton of light surface rust, knocked it all off with a wire brush on my angle grinder and then covered with Johnson's Paste Waxtm. I took it all apart and cleaned it up and regreased it, it moves a lot nicer now. Took about 3 or 4 hours to get it all cleaned up. 1 horsepower, runs like a champ.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

RadioPassive posted:

1 horsepower, runs like a champ.

These are really handsome saws when restored. Craftsman had the best looking machines back in the fifties.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
What would be the best method of restoring the nicks out of this blade? I've only got hand tools and recently got a marble slab to glue some sandpaper on but have been considering grabbing one of those Lee Valley chisel sharpening guides and a stone or two if they'd help.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Opioid posted:

What would be the best method of restoring the nicks out of this blade? I've only got hand tools and recently got a marble slab to glue some sandpaper on but have been considering grabbing one of those Lee Valley chisel sharpening guides and a stone or two if they'd help.

Watch the Paul Sellers guide to chisel or plane sharpening.

A grinder will speed up getting nicks out but is not required. I think the first chisel sharpening video talks about using sand paper to sharpen until you are able to afford proper stones

bred
Oct 24, 2008
You can get rid of those by hand with some 80 grit on your slab and when they're gone you can keep sharpening to the finer grits. A grinder is fast but you have to pay attention to the tip temperature so you keep the heat treatment.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Opioid posted:

What would be the best method of restoring the nicks out of this blade?

I recently took the nicks out of a bunch of chisels and planes, I found the fastest way was just to ground it down flat and square with a stone and then put the edge back on it.
A cheap try square and a cheap combination stone were all I needed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

This is the correct answer. Sometime back I spent the day at another guy's shop while he spent the day trying to "sharpen" out a nick in the blade because he didn't want to ruin the edge. Get the nick out asap then sharpen. Personally I would use a grinder but to each their own.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Looks like grind it down wins. I've got a Dremel, maybe I can grind with that first? My biggest concern is getting the right angle when I'm putting the edge back on. Planes seem to require such precision to work well

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

For the angle I just measured how long the bevel was and then just kept decreasing my sharpening angle until I got close. Neither my plane nor the work I do with it are fancy though.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

ChaoticSeven posted:

I've never actually used a mandrel to turn a pen. I somehow started off the bat turning between centers with bushings. I don't like slimlines and am generally drawn to the looks of a single barrel pen so it was no great hardship not being able to do two blanks at once.

Had a good customer request a cutting board in a style I had done for her in the past, but this time as a Christmas gift later this year to her brother.

From a while ago, but what kind of finish did you end up using for the cutting board? Asking because I think it looks great and have been considering doing a project like this as a gift.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

This one had Mahooneys. I generally use that or mineral oil and wax mixture I combine myself.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI, Lee Valley's Cyber Monday sale starts tonight at midnight. The last few years, they've had "factory second" planes for deep, deep discounts. I've bought two in the last three years and they are phenomenal. The defects are usually small casting imperfections and in no way impact the function.

This is the only time they sell those planes and they sell out fast. Last year I set an alarm for 11:55 to score the #4 I bought. They were sold out of those by 530am.

I don't really need any planes this year but since I'm getting up at midnight for a different sale, I might check to see what they have.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Do you remember what the prices were like? I've been wanting a set of veritas spokeshaves and that shooting plane...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That reminds me. I currently have a Stanley (or Bailey) 4, 5, 6, 8, 220, sw 60 1/2, and a Shelton 14 (appears to be the same as a Stanley 5?) About half of them are pre-war vintage, except the sweetheart 60 1/2 which I bought new within the last decade.

Am I missing anything major that I should be on the lookout for? The impending sale doesn't really help me because it sounds like they'll only ship to stores for that and I'm not in Canadaland, oh well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 30, 2015

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Got a 14 tpi dovetail saw, router plane, and medium shoulder plane. Feel like I'm really moving up in the world with Vertias tools.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Getting a live centre for my tailstock, almost made a fire from the friction against the dead centre last night.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Getting a live centre for my tailstock, almost made a fire from the friction against the dead centre last night.

I don't think I've ever heard of using a dead centre in the tail stock. The only thing that's similar is a jacobs chuck and everything else spins. Live centre is a definite I'd say.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got a pretty old lathe and it was a very basic design, but cast iron and steel all the way OTOH. Good thing it follows standards and I just needed a #1 Morse Taper part.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Milk paint status, surprisingly easy to make, given that I can just buy pre-made quark at any market.

Problem, cat attempts to eat the paint, also, cobalt blue is stronger than anticipated.

Just heard that the Stanley #8 I won on eBay is waiting at my grandmother's house in Michigan, am now excited to visit Michigan.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I just did two pieces side by side in linseed and tung oils, and I cannot tell the difference at all. Is there any?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of using a dead centre in the tail stock.
Before live centers that's what people used. They need to be lubricated with wax.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm about to start the tricky bit in a cutting board project, namely, stacking three hardwood boards (purpleheart, cherry, sapele) on top of each other and running the stack through my 14" Grizzly bandsaw. The trick is that I need to be able to glue together pieces from disparate boards -- the goal is to make a checkerboard-style pattern, only with curves -- so each board needs to have identical cuts.

I tried a test piece using some scrap 2x fir boards (so, cutting through 4.5" of material all told), and was nowhere near having the same cuts in each board; there's something that causes the blade to deflect significantly in the middle of the stack. I'm using a 1/2" Wood Slicer blade. It's probably dull; I'll be slotting in a replacement blade when I can. Besides that and making certain the blade is properly tensioned, any other recommendations for making certain the blade stays vertical while I do a curved cut out of a thick stack of wood?

I've done this in the past with 2 boards layered on top of each other, so in principle I know it should be possible. I don't want to waste $40-odd worth of wood just because it "should" work, though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

wormil posted:

Before live centers that's what people used. They need to be lubricated with wax.

I used oil but it only made a lot of smoke.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Tung should give you a more durable, better drying surface than linseed, but not too big of a visual difference. what sort of tung oil was it, and how many layers did you apply?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Just two coats so far, using whatever tung oil was popular on Amazon. I'm gonna keep adding coats as this is a test piece and I want to see how it looks, but I was really surprised at how completely indistinguishable the two colors/finishes are even this early.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

Just two coats so far, using whatever tung oil was popular on Amazon. I'm gonna keep adding coats as this is a test piece and I want to see how it looks, but I was really surprised at how completely indistinguishable the two colors/finishes are even this early.

You might want to check the actual makeup of your "tung oil" and "linseed oil" finishes. I know I have a can of "tung oil" that's really just a polyurethane finish with some tung oil added to it.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Unless it specifically requires you to thin it with white spirit or turpentine, t'aint tung.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm about to start the tricky bit in a cutting board project, namely, stacking three hardwood boards (purpleheart, cherry, sapele) on top of each other and running the stack through my 14" Grizzly bandsaw. The trick is that I need to be able to glue together pieces from disparate boards -- the goal is to make a checkerboard-style pattern, only with curves -- so each board needs to have identical cuts.

I tried a test piece using some scrap 2x fir boards (so, cutting through 4.5" of material all told), and was nowhere near having the same cuts in each board; there's something that causes the blade to deflect significantly in the middle of the stack. I'm using a 1/2" Wood Slicer blade. It's probably dull; I'll be slotting in a replacement blade when I can. Besides that and making certain the blade is properly tensioned, any other recommendations for making certain the blade stays vertical while I do a curved cut out of a thick stack of wood?

I've done this in the past with 2 boards layered on top of each other, so in principle I know it should be possible. I don't want to waste $40-odd worth of wood just because it "should" work, though.

How is it deflecting, what direction / orientation relative to blade? I'd expect some issues with your hardwood stack simply because of the difference in hardness between them (which I think could be prevented just by going really slowly), but obviously not with a single type of wood. Are you using double-sided tape or anything to hold the pieces together?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

You might want to check the actual makeup of your "tung oil" and "linseed oil" finishes. I know I have a can of "tung oil" that's really just a polyurethane finish with some tung oil added to it.

On mobile so I hope these work but:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002V4PF3K/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C016PG/

Pretty sure those are both the real thing, but good to know, I wasn't looking out for that.

Free Market Mambo posted:

Unless it specifically requires you to thin it with white spirit or turpentine, t'aint tung.

Yeah, says to on the bottles, and I did. I had some mineral spirits left over from thinning paint for another job.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Solid, how many layers/applications have you done? Tung tends to build up a really nice luster after 3-5 applications. Long-term you should see some durability benefits compared to the BLO at least.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Can anyone recommend a good starting jointer and/or planer?

Also is it worth having both? Seems like a jointer is best for, well, jointing. But a planer is nice to get consistent thickness

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MickRaider posted:

Can anyone recommend a good starting jointer and/or planer?

Also is it worth having both? Seems like a jointer is best for, well, jointing. But a planer is nice to get consistent thickness

If you're going to use the jointer, the planer is pretty much a must, there's not another easy way to make a wide board flat and with parallel sides.

If you're not going to use a jointer, a planer can still be useful for, as you say, thicknessing.

But it's more than possible to get by without either, particularly if you're not too bothered about using pre-cut wood and engineered wood.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You can also kind of replace a jointer with a router table jig: use a straight bit, then offset the outfeed fence so it matches the amount of material removed by the bit. It's not as good as an actual jointer (particularly if you want to joint material that's thicker than the length of your straight bit) but it does work, and you should prioritize a router table above either jointer or planer anyway.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Also, here's the end result of my milk paint odyssey.

I blended up slaked lime, water, and quark, then mixed in slaked pigment powder (50% titanium white/50% cobalt blue, should have done 75% white, 25% blue, oh well), and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Started on bare wood I'd prepared by planing to a decent finish, raising the grain with warm water, then sanding down with 320. I let each coat dry for 2-3 hours, then sanded with 400 grit and reapplied. The couple I'm building the tables for wants a worn look to the tables, so any imperfections are a bonus.

After three coats, things looked acceptable, so I gave it a layer of tung oil and called it good.

The milk paint was super easy to put together once I tracked down a pigment source, I'll definitely be using it again in the future. Now I have a bunch of left over and will be making a set of blue rabbit-hurdles as a quick Christmas gift

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

You can also kind of replace a jointer with a router table jig: use a straight bit, then offset the outfeed fence so it matches the amount of material removed by the bit. It's not as good as an actual jointer (particularly if you want to joint material that's thicker than the length of your straight bit) but it does work, and you should prioritize a router table above either jointer or planer anyway.

I did get a router table from a garage sale, it's not great but it should do the trick. Like you said, it works as a jointer for material thinner than my router bits, which aren't very long.

I think I'll stick with looking for a planer first then trying to get jointer later down the line. Ideally I'd like to not be reliant on pre-cut wood

Right now I'm eyeing either the single speed or two-speed dewalt. The delta seems alright as well but amazon recently took it off prime and the only sellers left jacked it to 400 for some dumb reason. Any other brands to consider?

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 1, 2015

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Free Market Mambo posted:

Solid, how many layers/applications have you done? Tung tends to build up a really nice luster after 3-5 applications. Long-term you should see some durability benefits compared to the BLO at least.

Just 2 layers so far, I'll get a few more on this week. Is 24 hours long enough to wait between applications or should I give it longer?

Being test pieces, I'm just going to keep recoating to see where it goes. Good to know that more coats should improve things.

MickRaider posted:

Right now I'm eyeing either the single speed or two-speed dewalt. The delta seems alright as well but amazon recently took it off prime and the only sellers left jacked it to 400 for some dumb reason. Any other brands to consider?

Have you checked Craigslist and are you ok with buying used? I got a 6" craftsman jointer for $150 and a delta portable 12" thickness planer for $120, both my first of each tool. They needed a little cleanup and I put fresh blades in, but as a first jointer/planer combo I'm enjoying them very well so far.

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 1, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MickRaider posted:

I did get a router table from a garage sale, it's not great but it should do the trick. Like you said, it works as a jointer for material thinner than my router bits, which aren't very long.

You can joint out material up to 2x the length of your bit. Do one pass with the fence not offset at all, then flip the piece over and do the other pass with the offset in place. It'll be more obvious if your fence offset doesn't precisely match the amount of material you're removing, but odds are it'll just be a 1/64th inch or something and you can just sand it down.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

RadioPassive posted:

Have you checked Craigslist and are you ok with buying used? I got a 6" craftsman jointer for $150 and a delta portable 12" thickness planer for $120, both my first of each tool. They needed a little cleanup and I put fresh blades in, but as a first jointer/planer combo I'm enjoying them very well so far.
I've been keeping an eye on CL. There's a few 6" craftsmans for 150 (none close) but I'm really looking for something benchtop since I don't have a lot of floor space available. There's a few Delta's I'm eyeing but they're like 200-250 and at that price I'd rather wait.

You can joint out material up to 2x the length of your bit. Do one pass with the fence not offset at all, then flip the piece over and do the other pass with the offset in place. It'll be more obvious if your fence offset doesn't precisely match the amount of material you're removing, but odds are it'll just be a 1/64th inch or something and you can just sand it down.

I see what you're saying. Seems like something i'd screw up on though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
There are lots of non-jointer ways to joint stock:

Edge jointing on a router table with a straight bit and split fence
Edge jointing on a table saw with a sled and hold-down toggle clamps
Face jointing with a router using rails and a sled (they use this method a lot on large slabs)
Face jointing with a planer sled using wedges

I think a planer is a lot more important for most people, but y'all can feel free to disagree. I don't have a jointer, so I use the table saw sled for edge jointing and the planer sled for face jointing. You can use the router rail/sled setup for planing, too, but it takes a long time and makes a huge mess. I would love to pick up a decent-sized jointer at some point, but I also have a pathological aversion to spending lots of money / buying new tools at full price. Most of the machines I own are either floor-model discounts or used from CL.