Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Where should I go with Ishiguro after The Remains of the Day? Heard mixed things about Never Let me Go and apparently The Buried Giant is pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Where should I go with Ishiguro after The Remains of the Day? Heard mixed things about Never Let me Go and apparently The Buried Giant is pretty terrible.

Never Let me Go is pretty good it gets the Mudkiper seal of approval

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I just finished The Buried Giant and I wouldn't call it terrible but you'd be better off reading Never Let me Go first.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Never Let Me Go is real good although I also need to read Remains of the Day. Opposite problems!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I haven't had a job for 4 days and I have read half of the Sickness Unto Death, 2 Cosmicomics, played 20 hours of Binding of Isaac and watched the entirety of season 3 of House, M.D.

Being unemployed rules :cheers:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

binding of isaac owns

It does.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
So I finished off Never Let Me Go over a couple of sittings this weekend and I can see why it's polarising. It's a bit of an odd novel; sort of a cross between dystopian science fiction and a more traditional coming-of-age story.

For that reason I'm not quite sure how to read it. My first thoughts were that the novel is essentially about how society tends to restrict people into following pre-determined paths in their lives. But I do find the suspension of disbelief here a bit difficult - the idea that all these intelligent and well-educated young people would willingly go like lemmings to be harvested for their organs. Or are we meant to believe that the clones were medically programmed to be submissive? This lends itself to a more dystopian reading but seems a bit out of tone given that throughout most of the novel the dystopian elements of the story are firmly in the background.

Ishiguro's biggest strength is how he describes human interaction and relationships so I think Never Let Me Go would probably have worked better in an entirely real-world setting rather than bringing in all the alternate history clone poo poo. For this reason I think Remains of the Day is far superior - it presents similar themes with much more clarity. Less complex, sure, but more effective as well.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Being unemployed rules :cheers:

It does.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm pissed off at that guy breaking my posting combo to talk about a book I have never heard of. The Cosmicomics are really fantastic and even better than I thought they'd be, I thought it'd just be "here's a fact and some nice prose about that" but it's way more into taking it in interesting directions and nice metaphors and talking about love and whatever and also it has nice prose.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Lol if you think you need genetic programming to convince people to go like lemmings to be harvested.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

Mr. Squishy posted:

Lol if you think you need genetic programming to convince people to go like lemmings to be harvested.

I know goons have a pretty negative view of human behaviour but Jesus Christ. If you are marked for death, are not under surveillance and can blend into the rest of the population you would not even consider the prospect of escape? Not to mention that the characters in this book are otherwise represented as creative, perceptive and cultured - not exactly brainwashed lemmings. Nah, it makes total sense that they would instead try and get a deferral from death from the woman from their school whom they haven't seen for ten-fifteen years. The novel is otherwise strong in many aspects but in this particular respect it stretches the suspension of disbelief at the very best.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Newgrounds baby feetus bad

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's good, and what's more, so is the Sefer Yetzirah.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I think you're missing the point of Ishiguro books, which is that people are passive and just let poo poo happen to them until they suddenly have an epiphany that their life is awful.

I finished The Red and the Black by Stendhal, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering a priesthood but is still open to the idea of seducing women with a series of 54 letters you got from your friend who is a Russian count.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I know goons have a pretty negative view of human behaviour but Jesus Christ. If you are marked for death, are not under surveillance and can blend into the rest of the population you would not even consider the prospect of escape? Not to mention that the characters in this book are otherwise represented as creative, perceptive and cultured - not exactly brainwashed lemmings. Nah, it makes total sense that they would instead try and get a deferral from death from the woman from their school whom they haven't seen for ten-fifteen years. The novel is otherwise strong in many aspects but in this particular respect it stretches the suspension of disbelief at the very best.

The entire premise of the novel is about how their existence creates a submission to the existing system. They are creative and intelligence but they have also been raised from birth to never fully understand the full scope of what they are and to view their inevitable fate as a benevolent necessity.

Hell, the final thought of the main character is to toss aside her sadness as selfish and childish.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Ishiguro's biggest strength is how he describes human interaction and relationships so I think Never Let Me Go would probably have worked better in an entirely real-world setting rather than bringing in all the alternate history clone poo poo. For this reason I think Remains of the Day is far superior - it presents similar themes with much more clarity. Less complex, sure, but more effective as well.

How would Never Let Me Go be better without what is the entire story of Never Let Me go? Its like saying For Whom the Bell Tolls would be better without all that war stuff.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think both those books would be better not existing, along w/ many others.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

much like your posting

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I need more book of the month suggestions but this time they have to be books people can buy easily and also books people will want to read

I should probably be asking in the star wars novel thread shouldn't I

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need more book of the month suggestions but this time they have to be books people can buy easily and also books people will want to read

The following books are all available in paperback and contain enough references to fantasy roleplaying to satisfy the TBB-er:

Wolf in the White Van
The Prague Cemetery
Bridge of Birds

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hey I tried!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh just put up The Plague by Camus or something

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 25, 2022

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
do City of Bohane.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
maybe something by Chabon? He's a perennial goonfav and hasn't had any BotM as far as i can see. probably Yiddish Policeman's Union would be better than Kavalier & Clay due to the size.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
or a novel about foot fetishists, i guess. should bring new crowds to TBB

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

I would participate if it was this

Burning Rain posted:

or a novel about foot fetishists, i guess. should bring new crowds to TBB

Or this

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Do babyfucker by Urs allemann

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

do a Chuck Tingle marathon

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Burning Rain posted:

maybe something by Chabon? He's a perennial goonfav and hasn't had any BotM as far as i can see. probably Yiddish Policeman's Union would be better than Kavalier & Clay due to the size.

Gentlemen of the Road it is

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

So I finished off Never Let Me Go over a couple of sittings this weekend and I can see why it's polarising. It's a bit of an odd novel; sort of a cross between dystopian science fiction and a more traditional coming-of-age story.

For that reason I'm not quite sure how to read it. My first thoughts were that the novel is essentially about how society tends to restrict people into following pre-determined paths in their lives. But I do find the suspension of disbelief here a bit difficult - the idea that all these intelligent and well-educated young people would willingly go like lemmings to be harvested for their organs. Or are we meant to believe that the clones were medically programmed to be submissive? This lends itself to a more dystopian reading but seems a bit out of tone given that throughout most of the novel the dystopian elements of the story are firmly in the background.

You're saying that this novel about absurdity... is absurd :aaaaa:

Congratulations for trying to apply bootstrap logic to a metaphor.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

From a tactical realism point of view, they should have escaped to higher ground since zombies are bad at climbing

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gentlemen of the Road it is

OH neat, good pick

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Just do Invisible Cities again and keep doing it I liked that one

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wolf in White Van is pretty good though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A whole buncha people on this forum really like a book about an obsessive hideous shut-in who lives vicariously through RPGs

Just gonna let that hover in the air for abit

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Stravinsky posted:

I think I'm going to read the Good Terrorists now because terrorism is cool and very in right now plus I tripped on it reminding me that I owned it

I could recommend The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid, which I remembered being pretty good when I read it two years ago. It's a short read too so you're not going to be terribly committed.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A whole buncha people on this forum really like a book about an obsessive hideous shut-in who lives vicariously through RPGs

Wolf In White Van : Literature thread :: Ready Player One : Babby thread

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, goons are unbelievably obsessed with escapist fiction, your point?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ulvir posted:

discovering that the plague is better than the stranger

This post is from like 3 months ago but this was exactly my reaction to Camus. I was completely indifferent to The Stranger and I loved The Plague. I tried to read The Fall but the second person narrative was weird

V. Illych L. posted:

I second this

I finished The Master & Margarita yesterday and, while I enjoyed it thoroughly, I know that my depth of understanding of the book was lacking due to my unfamiliarity with much of the mores of Soviet Russia that the book is steeped in. The book is usually billed as a satire, but the satirical elements were a bit lost on me. There is an obvious dig at the atheistic Soviet attitudes, but I don't quite see how those elements are satirized. The book reads like a Pagan-themed fantasy novel at parts, and the whole ball scene played out in my mind like something out of an animated movie.

Heath fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You guys should read All That Followed by Gabriel Urza

Its really good