Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh hey, welcome back, Tendai. I was wondering where you went. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

So uh, my birds are being weird. Nugget is in one of her "flirtatious" moods lately (wtf bird it gets dark at like 4pm what are you doing). She's doing that tail up in the air, cluck-peeping thing. At first I thought maybe she was doing it at Ozzy and thought hey cool at least it's not directed at me. Ozzy has been pretty confused by her behavior and goes to tap on her shoulder/wing and gets angry hissy beakbonked. I guess it still is directed at me :sigh: I'm not into you like that Nugget. Maybe Ozzy annoying her will snap her out of it faster than normal.

It is pretty cute to see Ozzy all concerned about her acting weird though.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I've been home for the holidays and my birds are driving me slightly nuts. Namely Kiwi is driving me slightly nuts. She's made huge leaps and bounds in two months, and I can basically touch her all over (lift her wings, long petting sessions) and she's comfortable once she's on me, although only on my shoulder. She craves attention just as much as a GCC, but she won't ever let me pick her up. This leads to me just trying to give her affection when she's in her cage, and that isn't great/isn't great when I have things to do. So she gets frustrated because she's not getting enough love and I'm frustrated because I can't spend hours with my arms in her cage.

I've been working on target training and she's very good at it, but she'll never get to the step up point. Neither treats nor affection will move her to get on a finger, a stick, a gloved hand, anything I can think of. I assume patience is the keyword here, but in the meantime, I'm dealing with a lot of Nanday screaming.
Please accept my offering of cockatoo because my birds don't like to cooperate when they are being cute

nielsm posted:

Pion had a shower today, and I think he actually enjoyed it!

He jumped onto my head after I was done shampooing and rinsing, didn't fly away when I squatted down, and didn't try to avoid the water when I slowly nudged myself under the shower. He sat there for a while and shuffled around a bit, not that I could see what he was doing.

Little birb is growing up :3:

I like his dramatic little turn, he is a cute little floof :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Just got home from visiting my folks. The bird sitter gave them extra millet and fruit so they're looking at me with extreme disappointment

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Cotton candy birb :neckbeard: I love Major Mitchell toos, they look so soft. The one I interacted with once was the most reserved, almost shy cockatoo I've ever seen (also the only reserved, almost shy cockatoo I've ever seen)

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

Cotton candy birb :neckbeard: I love Major Mitchell toos, they look so soft. The one I interacted with once was the most reserved, almost shy cockatoo I've ever seen (also the only reserved, almost shy cockatoo I've ever seen)

He was lulling you into a false sense of security first. As a major in the Cockatoo Army he knows how to think strategically

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

What the hell, I need to move to Australia already. That's like goddamn Disney.

Oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez :3: LOOK AT THE WET POTATO BABY LOOK AT HIMMMMM

Yeah, it was when we went on holiday in rural Australia a few years back. Morning routine was get up, make a cup of tea and toast, and sit on the veranda and feed the maggies. After a day or two of that they get very tame, and started to patiently sit on my knee waiting for their food.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
My parents feed some of the local magpies in the afternoon. One of them is particularly keen/tame. Around 4:30 or so he jumps up on the outdoor chair right next to the door and beeps to make sure they haven't forgotten food. One afternoon my Dad opened the door to go out to the patio, saw the Magpie, turned back and went to the fridge to get some mince, went to go outside, and little magpie had flown in and was standing right behind him.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Once they trust you they get really bold.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GoldStandardConure posted:

Once they trust you they get really bold.

Translation: once you pay your protection crackers, they expect payment promptly when they send the head-bombers around.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Well, I have to buy this bird now.

edit: GCC face :byodood:

i poop fire fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 30, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire posted:

Well, I have to buy this bird now.

That took a moment for me to figure out what bird part was where

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Shirec posted:

I've been home for the holidays and my birds are driving me slightly nuts. Namely Kiwi is driving me slightly nuts. She's made huge leaps and bounds in two months, and I can basically touch her all over (lift her wings, long petting sessions) and she's comfortable once she's on me, although only on my shoulder. She craves attention just as much as a GCC, but she won't ever let me pick her up. This leads to me just trying to give her affection when she's in her cage, and that isn't great/isn't great when I have things to do. So she gets frustrated because she's not getting enough love and I'm frustrated because I can't spend hours with my arms in her cage.

I've been working on target training and she's very good at it, but she'll never get to the step up point. Neither treats nor affection will move her to get on a finger, a stick, a gloved hand, anything I can think of. I assume patience is the keyword here, but in the meantime, I'm dealing with a lot of Nanday screaming.
Please accept my offering of cockatoo because my birds don't like to cooperate when they are being cute

:kimchi: she is so cute.

Well I can tell you how I got Bonny to step up (and a few other birds), so first Bonny loves Pine nuts she will do anything for them, so if you have not tried them give those a go.

So what I have found to work is.

Watching her reaction, move the stick to just the point that she is watching it, then give her a treat,

Move it a little closer, give her a treat,

Keep doing this until you can get the stick to her cage (even if she is backed up to the back of the cage, in fact that can make it easier).

Then hold out the treat in front of her, make her move a little closer to the stick, then a little more and a little more, until she is used to it being next to her.

Then hold the treat so that she has to lean across the stick, then a little more and a little more.

Keep moving the treat away from her until she steps on the stick (also if she ever touches the stick, bits, kicks, give a treat), then give a treat.

Depending on her target training, this should go a lot faster as you get her into a working mood and have her walk across it on her own, do this a number of time until she does it automatically. Then raise the stick a little, in order to get the treat she will have to step onto the stick. This has worked for me with a number of birds, the idea is to just move slowly and not rush it. It could takes weeks depending on the bird.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish my three got along as well as some of the guys in this thread, Pan just pushes Hermes around, and Bonny actively tries to kill both of them. There has been some very scary moments this last week. With Hermes landing on Bonny's cage, and me racing Bonny at who can get to him first. I have to take the long way to get to the back of the cage, while Bonny, head down wings out, gets to go full charge across the top.

Well Bonny has moved on to weekly showers (have some more video's that I will post). She is getting a lot stronger and is started to figure out how to fly in the house. I also picked up a number of new toys and perches for her, including a large SS forging cage that she loves, its starting to look a bit crowded in her cage, but she seems to love it.

As Bonny's cage is house bound, cleaning it is a real pain. Well it was until I picked up a steam cleaner (not the carpet kind), its turned a few hour job into a 30 min one, love the thing. It just melts the poop and food stuff off, lets me clean her toys with ease, and even the ropes and perches in her cage (with out taking them out).

I have added two new projects for her. Going to make a cargo net to hang from the ceiling, and make a PVC pipe hanging stand.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ad today for a B&G Macaw-basically "needs to go urgently, someone take it in the next few days or it's going to a shelter"

£82/$123, assuming the price wasn't a typo. With cage etc. Apparently tame and trained, okay with kids and animals. Only one outdoors photo, which would make me think scam-but I've seen the photo on the ads before, and it apparently comes with documents, vet records, and everything else too, so wtf. The "shelters" here can barely handle and look after dogs, let alone a macaw. Poor bird.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ad today for a B&G Macaw-basically "needs to go urgently, someone take it in the next few days or it's going to a shelter"

£82/$123, assuming the price wasn't a typo. With cage etc. Apparently tame and trained, okay with kids and animals. Only one outdoors photo, which would make me think scam-but I've seen the photo on the ads before, and it apparently comes with documents, vet records, and everything else too, so wtf. The "shelters" here can barely handle and look after dogs, let alone a macaw. Poor bird.

Good bet its a scam, most Macaws on CL are.

But this happens a lot. People purchase a Macaw as a statues symbol (you see those ads, with people asking from more money then what the bird and cage would normally cost, just trying to recoup their "investment") and soon discover that they can't handle it, or its more work/time commitment then they are willing to give. Drastic changes in personality (going to adulthood), or just that the last owner died/sick, and the new owners are the family and they have no idea what to do with it.

I visit some Macaw forums and its amazing how many people think they can go from no bird to Macaw (or other large parrot) in one jump.

1500 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 30, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's not CL-I'm in EU-and yeah, would have instantly assumed scam except 1) I've seen this bird/photo before so it could well be a case of "no one, or no one suitable came forward", and 2) It comes with vet records and documents apparently.

I've emailed to see if they speak English, maybe they'll reply and give the story.

I have dreams of being a crazy bird goon, pulling the money out of my rear end and taking it across the country to Ohtori's breeder where it would have a good permanent home :v:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
From the internet:

The best thing you'll ever see:
http://tumblr.becausebirds.com/post/134135827169/the-best-thing-youll-ever-see

Unfortunately, only shipping to Japan
https://www.facebook.com/leftthimble/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Hey someone take this bird or it's going to a shelter. We should be paying you, but how about you pay us $123 instead."

Wat.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Gotcha demonstrates the Gatorade workout

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

1500 posted:

excellent advice

I will have to try that, I haven't been trying to just get her to step on it. I spent a few hours camped out in front of her cage, reading quietly with sunflower seeds ready for treats. She actually came over and touched my shoulder/got on it quite a few times, so I've really narrowed it down to her getting picked up that she hates.

If you ever get the inclination to post tutorials for your toy/perch/misc making, I'd love to read it!

I swear, nothing makes my heart warmer than happy cockatoos :kimchi:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

"Hey someone take this bird or it's going to a shelter. We should be paying you, but how about you pay us $123 instead."

Wat.

Weeds out people who aren't serious.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can't even... So tired.

Was woken at gently caress knows what o clock last night by the furious beating of wings. It went on and on as I debated on if he would stop before I got out of bed or not. Eventually, my brain told me to get up and turn the light on and when I did the scene was quite the picture.

Cookie (budgie) is zipping around the top of the cage like "la la la la laaaa", sees me and then sits on his perch like "what me?"

Loki (grey potato) is clinging on to the side of the cage with his belly towards me looking terrified.

Thor (cinnamon lutino pearl) is sat frozen on the bottom of the cage with his wings outstretched looking up at me. As I looked down he keeps staring and slowly his wings fold back.

I just went "no! Thor" and went back to bed. (he didn't do it again).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potato Salad posted:

I have been asked to think of an explaination.

Fear the little Death...

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fear the little Death...

What does a cockatoo have to do with orgasms?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:catstare:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

"Little Death" was Victorian slang for orgasms.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

For those of you with a 3DS, Badge Arcade has pixel birds today!

Here's how they look on my home screen:

Edit: I'm in the US, not sure if all the regions get the same badges on a given day.

Genovera fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 1, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

They're cute but I looked it up, and it says you need to pay to play after the five five goes? I'll pass. Even though that cockatiel and zebra finch are cute.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am a little disturbed about how much Simon seems to understand what is being said around him and what is going on around him.

Scribe and I were putting away clothing, and Simon hates things that make rattly noises, including groups of hangers. Simon was on Maestro's cage top in front of me, staring at me, and I had a handful of hangers. Because I like to mess with Simon sometimes/seem to forget that he is smart and can fly, I gently rattled the hangers, and this exchange took place:

:downs: = me
:witch: = Scribe
:derptiel: = Simon

:downs: *Rattles hangers*
:witch: "Don't torment Simon."
:downs: "What's he gonna... Oh wait. I keep forgetting that he is smart enough to figure out that I am making the noise and fly over and attack me, not the hangers."
:witch: "yeah"
:derptiel: (quietly) "Don't be a bad boy" followed by Simon laughing his soft laugh.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Haha is that his "knock it off, rear end in a top hat" phrase? Ama uses "what're you doing?!" and if I have him really riled up the end of the sentence gets all shrill and bird-y

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have heard the various words separately before, but not used in a sentence like that. He used to go onto the lamp, where he wasn't allowed to be, and loudly proclaim "bad boy, baaaaad booooy" before. And I have told him "be nice" and "be a good boy" before, and I tell him "don't do that." He also likes to ask "be a good boy?" when he isn't sure if he is being good or not.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Haha is that his "knock it off, rear end in a top hat" phrase? Ama uses "what're you doing?!" and if I have him really riled up the end of the sentence gets all shrill and bird-y

He normally doesn't give much warning other than to get super puffy and pissed off-looking before stalking over and biting.

Simon...is showing some freaky levels of understanding/something above expected birdie intelligence lately. It's cool, but kind of disconcerting. Like, this past weekend he and I had this simple conversation:

:witch: = me
:derptiel: = Simon

:derptiel: (looking at me, because I am his favorite) "I love [garbled sounds that sound suspiciously like 'my girl']"
:witch: (surprised, as this was a new phrase for him) "What did you just say? Did you just say 'I love my girl'?"
:derptiel: "I'm a boy"

He says "I love you" all the drat time, but he's never said "my girl" before, and the closest he's ever gotten to "I'm a boy" in the past is "I'm the birdie."

I don't know, maybe I'm reading too far into things and he's just successfully shoving phrases together into some semblance of attempted communication. :tinfoil:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

schnickety scribe posted:

He normally doesn't give much warning other than to get super puffy and pissed off-looking before stalking over and biting.

Simon...is showing some freaky levels of understanding/something above expected birdie intelligence lately. It's cool, but kind of disconcerting. Like, this past weekend he and I had this simple conversation:

:witch: = me
:science: = Simon

:science: (looking at me, because I am his favorite) "I love [garbled sounds that sound suspiciously like 'my girl']"
:witch: (surprised, as this was a new phrase for him) "What did you just say? Did you just say 'I love my girl'?"
:science: "I'm a boy"

He says "I love you" all the drat time, but he's never said "my girl" before, and the closest he's ever gotten to "I'm a boy" in the past is "I'm the birdie."

I don't know, maybe I'm reading too far into things and he's just successfully shoving phrases together into some semblance of attempted communication. :tinfoil:

I fixed the smilies.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

I fixed the smilies.

:stare:
Yes.
Yes you did.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That B&G macaw was reposted five times today, seems like the owner is getting desperate. :( There's another photo included this time too.

I've outright emailed them this time, directly, since using mailinator didn't get a reply. Just asking why they're giving it up, and where it will go (what shelter) if they don't find a home. Sucks to not be able to do anything to help, unless they're willing to give it to a breeder for free or something, which would be infinitely better than a "shelter" here

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've visited a couple shelters recently. The ones in Atlanta are great, but others further out can be depressing. As in really bad.

I sometimes get a brief flash of what it would be like to have the kind of an intelligence a parrot can possess and be restrained to a cage 24/7 without anything to do or socialize with. I briefly understand ethical euthanasia in those dreams, times where I'm imagining I'm a bird plucking myself crazy and I'm unable to ask the "owner" of the "shelter" to let me die :smith:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
jinglyballs are serious business

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

He has THE MOST INTENSE SWEET FACE. I haven't seen (or don't remember) you post him/her/it before. Name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's Alexis, I guess I haven't posted a picture of her in a while!