Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah...I watched it to see if Anno had injected some Anno-ness into what looked like a bland fan service heavy action film, but it just turned out to be exactly that unfortunately.

The most amazing thing about Ritual is the amazing female lead is Steven Seagal's daughter :wtc:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
So with Utada Hikarus new album confirmed for release sometime in the spring of 2016, and the fact that we know she is / was due to record a new song for a new Evangelion movie sometime in Winter 2015, I wonder if it's ok to assume Evangelion might be out around the same time as her album?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

sharktamer posted:

Love & Pop is Anno getting used to live action and the result is loads of interesting goofy shots and camera angles.

i don't really agree with this. the end of eva live action sequence predates it by at least a year and he clearly knew what he was doing with that. love & pop's form accurately communicates the characters feelings of confusion, and being lost and adrift in adolescence.

love & pop and shiki-jitsu both have some of the most radical uses of digital cinematography in movies

sharktamer posted:

The most amazing thing about Ritual is the amazing female lead is Steven Seagal's daughter :wtc:.

and the male lead is shunji iwai who directed the incredible all about lily chou chou which is like eva without the robots

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 10, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rekka posted:

So with Utada Hikarus new album confirmed for release sometime in the spring of 2016, and the fact that we know she is / was due to record a new song for a new Evangelion movie sometime in Winter 2015, I wonder if it's ok to assume Evangelion might be out around the same time as her album?
I wouldn't say it's safe to assume, but it's safe to pray. :pray:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it's pretty cool they weren't able to do anything about Eva in 2015.

And by pretty cool I mean sad. Because jesus christ this project has gone on way too long.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I think it's pretty cool they weren't able to do anything about Eva in 2015.

And by pretty cool I mean sad. Because jesus christ this project has gone on way too long.

How much time passes in the original series anyways? It feels like less than a year.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

six or so months. the approximate start date is placed at june 22 i think and it ends on christmas/new years

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

End of Eva is a Christmas movie? This changes everything...

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the events of 24 are supposed to take place on christmas eve/christmas day with kaworu's arrival and shinji/kaworu's simulated erotic experience taking place on christmas eve and kaworu's death (do i need to tag this? i feel like nobody reading this thread at this point deserves consideration but w/e) taking place on christmas day and the events of 25/25' taking place immediately after, the events of 26/26' taking place in the interim, and the events of ONE MORE FINAL: i need you taking place on new years day. at least that's how i like to think of it.

naturally most of this is speculative and i don't think any of it is confirmed as canon but for something as loaded with religious symbology as eva (even if more times than not it's empty) it makes sense that that's the timeframe over which (especially that part of) the story unfolds

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
I just hope they find a way to work in Everything You've Ever Dreamed, that song is too good to not be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95q3APXYveo

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

For as long as I can remember I've assumed this was indeed the case, but your speculative remark just reminded me that I have no idea how I came to that conclusion.
The series itself has a few defined timestamps iirc, but the whole foreversummer thing makes it a bit hard to keep track of the passage of time. Now I'm wondering why I've been so certain that christmas = tumbletime. :psyduck:

Radio Spiricom posted:

(do i need to tag this? i feel like nobody reading this thread at this point deserves consideration but w/e)

I'm pretty sure we've got at least a few eva newbies around here due to the simulwatch, but I don't think they're hanging around in this thread. v:shobon:v

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yatsuha posted:

I just hope they find a way to work in Everything You've Ever Dreamed, that song is too good to not be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95q3APXYveo
Absolutely, I love that song. The whole Eva soundtrack has this heartachingly melancholy sound to it. It's like a warm blanket you're wrapped in... as you die.

It's also really nostalgic since it was the first anime I got into as a teen (along with Cowboy Bebop). I think I even made a class art piece with the lyrics to Komm Susser Tod written in it. Good thing no one looked too close, those lyrics could have sent me to therapy, haha. I just liked the emotional sound of the song, honest!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

It's also really nostalgic since it was the first anime I got into as a teen (along with Cowboy Bebop). I think I even made a class art piece with the lyrics to Komm Susser Tod written in it. Good thing no one looked too close, those lyrics could have sent me to therapy, haha. I just liked the emotional sound of the song, honest!
Same here, I watched this poo poo when I was the age of the Eva pilots. Baaaaaaaad idea. First manga then first anime (I mean assuming we're not counting me watching DBZ and Pokemon as a lil lil kid). EoE is hard when you're going through puberty.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Jostiband posted:

For as long as I can remember I've assumed this was indeed the case, but your speculative remark just reminded me that I have no idea how I came to that conclusion.
The series itself has a few defined timestamps iirc, but the whole foreversummer thing makes it a bit hard to keep track of the passage of time. Now I'm wondering why I've been so certain that christmas = tumbletime. :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure we've got at least a few eva newbies around here due to the simulwatch, but I don't think they're hanging around in this thread. v:shobon:v
there's a tumblr post that gives a week by week breakdown of events here it makes the argument that the show begins on july 6 rather than canon/consensus of june 22 predicated on said defined timestamps (namely the defeat of israfel in both of you! dance like you want to win!, which takes place on september 11, and operation yashima which takes place at the end of july)

another interesting thing that this post points out is how deaths occur on or around birthdays. again, it's unclear whether most or any of this is deliberate or purely coincidental, but still...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched a bizarre combination of Eva episodes as a teen to never see Unit 01 go berserk and just assume she was a robot. Years later, as I faced the firing squad watched the entire show for the first time, I discovered episode 2 and was surprised as all hell when suddenly the robot I had known for years became a dinosaur.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Same here, I watched this poo poo when I was the age of the Eva pilots. Baaaaaaaad idea. First manga then first anime (I mean assuming we're not counting me watching DBZ and Pokemon as a lil lil kid). EoE is hard when you're going through puberty.

nah watching it during your formative years is ideal, it's absolutely earth shattering

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i don't want to be hyperbolic but i probably wouldn't be the person i am today without having watched it at 14-15 or w/e

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

It's us. We're cursed with Eva :negative:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:agreed:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Radio Spiricom posted:

another interesting thing that this post points out is how deaths occur on or around birthdays. again, it's unclear whether most or any of this is deliberate or purely coincidental, but still...

Yeah, I guess maybe I'm tunneling so hard on the christmas thing is just because it would seem rather untidy if it didn't happen then. I mean it's right there!
That's some really iffy reasoning, but good enough until someone posts a more accurate chronology.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Radio Spiricom posted:

the events of 24 are supposed to take place on christmas eve/christmas day with kaworu's arrival and shinji/kaworu's simulated erotic experience taking place on christmas eve and kaworu's death (do i need to tag this? i feel like nobody reading this thread at this point deserves consideration but w/e) taking place on christmas day and the events of 25/25' taking place immediately after, the events of 26/26' taking place in the interim, and the events of ONE MORE FINAL: i need you taking place on new years day. at least that's how i like to think of it.

naturally most of this is speculative and i don't think any of it is confirmed as canon but for something as loaded with religious symbology as eva (even if more times than not it's empty) it makes sense that that's the timeframe over which (especially that part of) the story unfolds

At first I was going to say that I thought I'd rather tie EoE to Easter if I wanted to tie it to any Christian festival, but then I thought, actually EoE is only the beginning of the end of Shinji's story, so...

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013
Performing Symphony No. 9 is a popular year-end tradition in Japan, and it fits thematically to Kaworu being "the end and the beginning", so I always assumed that ep 23 happens on New Year. Christmas Day doesn't really make sense to me, it's just an important Christian holiday, it doesn't seem to be particularly related to the events of ep 23?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Radio Spiricom posted:

i don't want to be hyperbolic but i probably wouldn't be the person i am today without having watched it at 14-15 or w/e

I was like 18-19 but agreed

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's always nice to find someone else who read the NGE manga. Well, assuming you liked it.

I have no history with Eva. My gateway anime, excluding poo poo like Pokemon and DBZ as you said, was Inuyasha. I only started to watch or read Eva two years ago because I figured it was 'bout time I saw what all this hype was about.

I'm still looking.

Although I'm curious about something. Has anyone here seen Space Runaway Ideon? I've heard multiple people say it was Eva before Eva was Eva. I just a read a post that said this a minute ago elsewhere but I've heard it semi-frequently over the years.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 11, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Radio Spiricom posted:

it's basically a life-changing experience if you're a teenage boy watching shinji go through it all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Although I'm curious about something. Has anyone here seen Space Runaway Ideon? I've heard multiple people say it was Eva before Eva was Eva. I just a read a post that said this a minute ago elsewhere but I've heard it semi-frequently over the years.

There are a few common threads to be found (mainly at the very end) but not enough that I would tell people to watch Ideon if they liked Eva.

Especially since Ideon's cast doesn't really stand out much. If Cosmo didn't have that afro he'd be indistinguishable from most 80s mecha protagonists!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Milky Moor posted:

it's basically a life-changing experience if you're a teenage boy watching shinji go through it all

Often times I would get mopey or sad as many young teens do, and then I would remember Shinji and get over it. At least MY dad isn't indirectly trying to get me killed after abandoning me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It's always nice to find someone else who read the NGE manga. Well, assuming you liked it.
I feel like we may have talked about the manga in the thread before actually. I think I'd say I liked it well enough, I seem to be one of the few willing to defend it most of the time, partly and possibly because I've just got a nostalgic bias since it was my first manga (and I started reading it before I saw the Eva anime even).
Sadamoto is a wonderful artist and I relished the opportunities for him to diverge from the anime, add in cool relationships, characterizations, and tales of his own. Like I don't have a problem with Manga Shinji's infamous Fist moment, he's still recognizably a "Shinji", just different in some aspects and reactions. Overall up until the last few volumes I didn't mind the divergent/extra characterizations and scenes, even if the changes affected characters I enjoy in ways I might not like. At the end of the day I just appreciated it as an alternative telling.
The ending I didn't really like though, so I'd say the manga failed to stick its landing and that's a common complaint (and obv a major flaw for a series). Well other than the people who can't get down with a volume of manga where Kaworu is directly equated to Twain's The Mysterious Stranger and strangles a kitten with his bare hands or where Gendo uses the Adam in his hand to stop bullets and poo poo...in which case I just can't understand y'all. :(

Overall I think it's the sort of thing where if you're a huge fan of Evangelion and have gotten into everything but the manga you might as well get into Sadamoto's manga as a cool alternate telling/opportunity for more Eva. I don't think any of the other side manga like the weird one where they're like magic warriors (who fight angels like anime monsters with spirit guns or whatever) are any good but I wouldn't know since I couldn't bear reading them.

that one manga Asuka-Kaji scene sure made me kinda queasy uneasy while reading it as a youngen tho

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 11, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sadly, all I can remember last time I tried to talk about the manga in here was a bunch of posters saying how much it sucked and missed the point. Glad you liked it, though.

Sadamoto has a great comment about how his story diverges from the anime and I wish more people would understand this.

Shinji is such a personal character and that's why you either love him or hate him. But I like Sadamoto's point. Of course his Shinji will be different from Anno's Shinji because he is not Anno. They will have different ideas and feelings on certain situations. They will then inject their contrasting emotions into Shinji and develop him in different ways. Shinji is no less hosed in the manga, he just handles it differently.

I didn't really mind the ending of the manga apart from the...whatever the hell the ultimate ending was. I'm not sure if Instrumentality being reversed rewound time or what. That part was dumb. But I didn't mind anything up to that point. Things like Asuka not dying were only improvements in my book as her death in EOE was really forced.

Really, I just prefer the anime's ending to either manga or movie EOE.

I also really enjoyed Manga Rei. She's pretty much the star of the manga, as is her and Shinji's relationship. The manga made Rei my favorite Eva character, alongside Anime Kaworu.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 11, 2015

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

Really, I just prefer the anime's ending to either manga or movie EOE.

I also really enjoyed Manga Rei. She's pretty much the star of the manga, as is her and Shinji's relationship. The manga made Rei my favorite Eva character, alongside Anime Kaworu.

:agreed: Rei is great, as is the anime ending :)

Although, I don't think the manga had ended when I read it. I should go back and see where I got up to one day

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Often times I would get mopey or sad as many young teens do, and then I would remember Shinji and get over it. At least MY dad isn't indirectly trying to get me killed after abandoning me.

There's a bit in the show where images of angels are flashing and Shinji is saying "enemy!" over and over and then ge do starts appearing, then it's over. For me that's one of the more poignant moments in the show. Combined with when they're crawling in the air ducts and Shinji is all "why are we fighting them" and asukas like you idiot it's because they attacked us. As the series progresses the Angels do more and more "direct contact" with the human psyche. We can never communicate, but they keep trying to figure us out. The dirac sea angel, the mind rape angel, the one that physically fuses with the evas, there's also the one that takes over the Eva I guess.

The impossibility of communication between us and the Angels is one of the reasons why we have to fight them. They're implacable in their actions, and we don't really know exactly what they want besides where they want to go will cause everybody to die.

I fuckin love evangelion and 3.0 was amazing.

I do not care if they do not make the final film.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While I'd still like Final obviously, I think I'm okay with 3.0 being the ending.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Raxivace posted:

While I'd still like Final obviously, I think I'm okay with 3.0 being the ending.

I'm not

I want to see a rebuild komm susser tod scene

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I havent watched the dub in ages and just started over again and decided to leave it on, and holy poo poo. I know it gets better, but the earlier episodes are really bad. If Funimation ever picked this up, I really would not mind seeing a whole new one done, except they should keep Spike Spencer because his Shinji is pretty consistently excellent.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Alison Keith's Misato is never great but she's just terrible at the start.

Decided, since the version I acquired has the ADV staff commentary, to listen to that. Kind of fun hearing war stories about the old days of anime dubbing and the American anime scene.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I only ever watched the Eva dub and I give it a solid C or maybe C+ at best. Outside of the main cast, everyone is pretty terrible. Of the main cast, I think Rei and Gendo were my favorites. Never did appreciate Rei until I watched Rebuild. I absolutely prefer Amanda Winn-Lee's Rei. Then again, from what I saw, Rebuild Rei is a rather different character so I can see why the new lady was doing something different. I guess maybe I just prefer the original character in general?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Since all of you answered my questions pretty nicely last time here's another, tougher one:

What happened to the Live Action Movie (Peace Be Upon It) that was announced a decade ago? And tangentially related: Who has the right to what?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The live action movie was never a thing, AD Vision made some inquiries at Wignut Films (who work on all of Peter Jackson's stuff) and got quoted a minimum budget of $100 million and that was that.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I only ever watched the Eva dub and I give it a solid C or maybe C+ at best. Outside of the main cast, everyone is pretty terrible. Of the main cast, I think Rei and Gendo were my favorites. Never did appreciate Rei until I watched Rebuild. I absolutely prefer Amanda Winn-Lee's Rei. Then again, from what I saw, Rebuild Rei is a rather different character so I can see why the new lady was doing something different. I guess maybe I just prefer the original character in general?

you really ought to watch the sub, the dub completely murders the sound design. also shinji is voiced by a woman for a reason and anno gave very specific directions to most of the voice actors (this is all especially relevant when it comes to end of eva) i think sub vs dub is a boring argument but in the case of evangelion it's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The live action movie was never a thing, AD Vision made some inquiries at Wignut Films (who work on all of Peter Jackson's stuff) and got quoted a minimum budget of $100 million and that was that.
Yeah and now that Evangelion Robin is dead, our only hope in Hollywood is noted Eva fan Robert Blake