Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

big_g posted:

I only really have the head to add now but I am stuck as to what colours to do it? Anyone here have any ideas how to finish this thing off?

Main panel the blue camo, "cheek" bits the grey, central bit the rusty orange with green jewelled lenses is my suggestion.

Then glue it to the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Continuing my theme of Japanese things, I have finished my Ki-84 Hayate "Frank" that I started about a year ago, got to the base coated stage, then left in my closet until last month. Nice thing about the kit is it came in a two pack, and the Frank has a few cool paint schemes that I want to try.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jadebullet posted:

I've known a guy who builds helicopters, and transport planes, and regularly custom casts interior details, super details the interior over several months, closes it up, and you never see the interior again. He doesn't even leave the tail ramp down because I likes to model his stuff in flight.

I haven't fallen far enough down the rabbit hole yet, but some of the build logs on Model Ship World show the most amazing details buried deep inside of scratch built wooden ships that once the ship is completed, will never again see the light, let alone be seen.

One guy scratch built his chain pumps, to include making the entire chain assembly with the little buckets that would haul the water out of the bilges, and all the other parts (gears, etc.), completely functional. Some of the most amazing brass work in miniature, and at the end of everything, it all gets covered up. The only thing left visible is the outer wood cover and the handles, with no way to know that the insides are all built out and working.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Scale modelling is more an affliction than a hobby.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That happened with my AT-ST, although by accident. I fully detailed the interior, with the intention of making the top removable. Even though the top panel was just a press fit, I couldn't get it out afterwords without feeling like the rest of the model was going to get crushed in my grip.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartoon posted:

Scale modelling is more an affliction than a hobby.

It's amazing watching the Gundam threads where Build Fighters is concerned.

Stage One; "Oh hey, Build Fighters is good? I'll check it out"

Stage Two; "So where can I get just a kit of this design? :shepspends:"

Stage Three; "Why and how do I now own a dozen different Gundam kits?"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

big_g posted:

I only really have the head to add now but I am stuck as to what colours to do it? Anyone here have any ideas how to finish this thing off?

That look pretty fantastic! I'd make the head red/orange to make it stand out, IMO, otherwise it's going to be impossible to see against all the detail behind it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Molentik posted:

How far do you guys go in 'modeling for God', so doing all the stuff that won't really be seen when the model is finished, like tank interiors or painting the engine on a plane etc?

I don't model for god like I don't model for Santa Claus. :spergin:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I build a lot of old poo poo models so I frequently smoke the canopy to avoid having to scratch build a cockpit. So no, I don't spend a lot of time on the bits no one will ever see

Edit: JadeBullet that Frank is really nice. Hasegawa kit I'm guessing?

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 12, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't model for god like I don't model for Santa Claus. :spergin:

But when your toys come alive, how will they rescue you from Krampus without a fully functional C-130?

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Well, something arrived in the post today...

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Jonny Nox posted:

Edit: JadeBullet that Frank is really nice. Hasegawa kit I'm guessing?

Yup, Hasegawa two pack. It was a very nice kit, even if the cockpit is very sparse. It went together really nicely.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warmachine posted:

But when your toys come alive, how will they rescue you from Krampus without a fully functional C-130?

You've convinced me.

And now I desperately want a mashup of Small Soldiers and The Nutcracker.

Meanwhile:

Really like this kit. And it's gravy that the on-screen suits were unpainted molded plastic designed to hide mold seams, meaning I don't need to paint anything to get it looking accurate. :buddy:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 12, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Arquinsiel posted:

Main panel the blue camo, "cheek" bits the grey, central bit the rusty orange with green jewelled lenses is my suggestion.

Then glue it to the base.

Thanks for the advice, this is similar to what I was thinking about at first but I have the same worry as Lemon Curdistan

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That look pretty fantastic! I'd make the head red/orange to make it stand out, IMO, otherwise it's going to be impossible to see against all the detail behind it.

That was pretty much what I figured I would end up doing but I now think I may do it white or a least a very very light grey, maybe with some accent parts black.

What do you think thread?

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Crossposting from Ace Combat Zero Let's Play thread. Bought a Tomytec Gimix prepainted F-15 kit and weathered that sucker up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That looks great. I've been playing the 3DS AC2 remake and it's made me wish Bandai made fighter jet kits.

On that note, who makes the best-quality not horribly expensive and not super complicated modern fighter plane kits?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
And now I know that there is a 3DS Ace Combat game to hold me over until the new one comes out. Awesome!

And yeah, that plane looks amazing.

As for what kit you want, what scale are you looking for? Italeri makes some pretty good 1:72 kits. And personally, I am a big fan of Hasegawa, though I really only do stuff in 1:72.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm not really fussed either way about the scale, as long as the number of fiddly bits is minimised, so 1:72 is probably just fine. Oh, and when I say cheap, I mean sub $40, not $10. :v:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Your best bet is to go to https://www.scalemates.com/ and search for a particular aircraft that you want to build. It will show you all of the kits available, the timeline of the kit, as well as links to reviews. You can also then throw the kit into google for more reviews.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm not really fussed either way about the scale, as long as the number of fiddly bits is minimised, so 1:72 is probably just fine. Oh, and when I say cheap, I mean sub $40, not $10. :v:

It mostly depends on the subject, modern fighters are pretty well covered, especially american ones. I recently got Italeri's F-104 and it's a beauty, although I'm not sure whether it fits your definition of "modern" :v:.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If I was buying someone an airbrushing setup for modelbuilding (mostly vintage racing cars/some military stuff), what else (like accessories/hoses/whatever) would they need to get going from zero besides:
the compressor: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JLVM5U
the airbrush gun: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQKFAI or http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Revolution-Action-Large-Gravity/dp/B000BQS3UW

And are these good/bad options for someone who's skilled at painting by hand/dexterous enough to learn to wield one, but has never used an airbrush outside of Photoshop?
Seemed to be along the lines of what I saw recommended in the first 5 or 8 pages of the thread, but that's obviously from a few years ago.

krupa
Apr 27, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That happened with my AT-ST, although by accident. I fully detailed the interior, with the intention of making the top removable. Even though the top panel was just a press fit, I couldn't get it out afterwords without feeling like the rest of the model was going to get crushed in my grip.

I've just read through the whole thread and your AT-ST was amazing. I want to start making dioramas, what are the best resources to learn more about it?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Would people object to the Airfix crappire as an alternative to the Revell crappire, since I have a hard time finding the latter on this side of the pond?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

krupa posted:

I've just read through the whole thread and your AT-ST was amazing. I want to start making dioramas, what are the best resources to learn more about it?

Modeling mags are a great first step, as most will have a few articles every issue devoted to terrain and diorama modeling. You may want to check out the wargaming threads here on the forums as well, as they do a lot of basing for their figures, and a diorama takes the same concepts and uses them on a larger scale. Armorama has a very large forum with sections on bases and dioramas there, and you'll find a ton of very skilled people there sharing their skills. Forums dedicated to model train enthusiasts are a great resource as well, as half their hobby is entirely based around terrain building.

I'll also repost an earlier post of mine with some book recommendations:

quote:

The first is How To Build Dioramas, by Shepherd Paine. Shep is a master at dioramas, and this book will give you a good overview of the sorts of materials and methods you'll need to start building dioramas. It covers everything from tools, to materials, to electrical, to even advanced special effects and visual trickery. Even if you're not into building a diorama, this books stands on it's own as an excellent account of the work of Paine. Tons of photos and lots of interesting info.

The second is Advanced Terrain Modeling, by Richard Windrow. Windrow is another master of the art, and gets into more detail with this book. While Paines book is a general overview of the tools and techniques of diorama building, Windrows books really goes into the nitty gritty of how he builds his scenes. There's so much detail and so many photos of each of his builds that you could essentially use it as project guide to recreate his works. He gives you paints to use, mixing ratios, secret materials for convincing detail, household objects that can recreate objects in miniature, the works.

Obviously there are tons of books out there on building dioramas and miniature scenes, but these two I think are the best to start anyone off into that area of modeling.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

lilljonas posted:

Would people object to the Airfix crappire as an alternative to the Revell crappire, since I have a hard time finding the latter on this side of the pond?

The Airfix T11 is one of their new and good kits but on the other hand I'm having the same problem so...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Unkempt posted:

The Airfix T11 is one of their new and good kits but on the other hand I'm having the same problem so...

Oh believe me, I can gently caress up the best of kits just perfectly. :P

It would just be very convenient since I'm planning to give myself a Christmas order from a shop in Germany, that just happens to have the Airfix kit but not the Revell one. None of the local shops seem to have either of them.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 14, 2015

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

lilljonas posted:

I was just wondering this as well. My local shop has the Airfix kit, but not the Revell and I love throwing money at my local shop.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Mister Dog posted:

I was just wondering this as well. My local shop has the Airfix kit, but not the Revell and I love throwing money at my local shop.

I'll probably pull the trigger on the Airfix, it's not like I'm getting a fancy schmnancy resin kit with etched brass details instead. And it could be fun to compare our kit with the Revell one, since they are in the same range.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pretty sure I actually suggested Airfix as an alternative when I picked the kit. If I didn't, I meant to. Far, far better someone gets that than just not participate. The spirit of crap____ is inclusive. :buddy:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

krupa posted:

Send me an email to vetomilitarymodeling at gmail.com and I can send you some stuff :)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm going to get the Airfix kit because it's the two-seater version so I can paint it as a trainer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've got a friend who also is working on his first model, and is having some paint bleeding through his Tamiya tape mask while painting camo. He's going to just airbrush over the mistake, but what can he do in the future to avoid that, as I didn't have that issue with my model and don't want to.

Regarding my model, what's the process using micro set and sol to put on decals? I've already put a gloss coat on the model, and know to put a gloss over the decals then a matte coat on after the decals. Guessing I should do a wash before the matte?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, despite the fact that I chose to model in 1:72 initially because I don't have much shelf space to display my models, so the smaller ones work perfectly, a fact which hasn't changed, I am now the owner of a Handley Page Victor bomber kit that I won at auction for $2.

I am terrified about how big this thing is going to end up being.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mr E posted:

I've got a friend who also is working on his first model, and is having some paint bleeding through his Tamiya tape mask while painting camo. He's going to just airbrush over the mistake, but what can he do in the future to avoid that, as I didn't have that issue with my model and don't want to.

Regarding my model, what's the process using micro set and sol to put on decals? I've already put a gloss coat on the model, and know to put a gloss over the decals then a matte coat on after the decals. Guessing I should do a wash before the matte?

Paint over the masking tape with the "background" colour, if it bleeds through you can't see it, and it will seal the tape against more bleeding.

Also I use cheap masking tape from the art store and never have this problem, so :shrug:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That looks great. I've been playing the 3DS AC2 remake and it's made me wish Bandai made fighter jet kits.

Yeah, I've always wanted to get into doing fighter jets, but I'm terrible at hand painting, so whatever I made would just look terribly messed up.

Someday I'll be good enough to get around to building my favorite fictional plane though. :allears:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Paint over the masking tape with the "background" colour, if it bleeds through you can't see it, and it will seal the tape against more bleeding.

Also I use cheap masking tape from the art store and never have this problem, so :shrug:

I have a feeling he may have thinned it too much or not done light coats of paint, since I had no bleeding at all on mine. Just wanted to see if it was an issue I should watch out for.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Quote is not edit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mr E posted:

I have a feeling he may have thinned it too much or not done light coats of paint, since I had no bleeding at all on mine. Just wanted to see if it was an issue I should watch out for.

Is it bleeding through just the edges, like it is getting under it, or soaking through the tape itself? One thing I learned early on is to always take the flat edge of my hobby knife and rub it along the edge of the tape to get a better seal.

I just use blue painters tape myself and haven't had any issue with it soaking through the tape though. (even though I do tend to thin them a lot due to brush painting) The suggestion of doing a matching basecoat over the tape first is probably your best bet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, model-specific question: does anyone do a good F-14 Tomcat with working variable sweep (preferably 1:48 but I'm not fussy)? All the ones I can see on Amazon seem to be stuck in either low- or high-speed configuration.

Ditto the Tu-22M, Su-24 or Mirage G4/8, or really, any swing-wing design whose unswept wings stick out at ~90 degrees.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Actually, model-specific question: does anyone do a good F-14 Tomcat with working variable sweep (preferably 1:48 but I'm not fussy)? All the ones I can see on Amazon seem to be stuck in either low- or high-speed configuration.

Ditto the Tu-22M, Su-24 or Mirage G4/8, or really, any swing-wing design whose unswept wings stick out at ~90 degrees.

As far as I'm aware, all of the tomcat models have variable sweep, In order of best, I have the Academy kit, Monogram kit and Hasegawa 48th and 72nd kits. All have sweeping wings.

Regards