Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
HxH has the best 'power' mechanic of any shounen anime, it's all about using the skills you have intelligently. The other end of the spectrum would be something like DBZ where they're literally just comparing numbers to see who's is bigger.

In OPM news I just noticed, the first episode was called The Strongest Man, this last ep will be titled The Strongest Hero :patriot: After tomorrow I'm off the rest of the week, Saitama my body is ready for punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hunter x Hunter is probably one of the most incidentally discussed series on this board.

I should probably just make a dedicated thread for it so we're not always co-opting other people's threads.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Hunter x Hunter is probably one of the most incidentally discussed series on this board.

I should probably just make a dedicated thread for it so we're not always co-opting other people's threads.

Every other post will be complaining about the hiatus and asking for Togashi to start it up again.

Incidentally, every other post will be made by me.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I don't think there's been anyone brave enough to do it since the 2011 series ended. Pretty sure Pierson is still traumatized from the last few hiatuseseses.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

the only question is, when you gon do that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

the only question is, when you gon do that

It won't killua you to have a little patience.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a kitten posted:

Maaan, there's like no chance the English release when it comes is gonna be that cool is there?

Gotta love new original art for BD cases. Ofc never leaving JP but I can dream.

I now want to read HxH btw.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Gotta love new original art for BD cases. Ofc never leaving JP but I can dream.

I now want to read HxH btw.

You should probably watch the 2011 anime first. It's fantastic.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I enjoyed the anime and am now collecting the manga.

It's good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'll make the thread for it sometime this week (probably tomorrow) so let's stop talking about it in here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You don't want those blurays. Art is cool enough, but its not Murata level and there are only two episodes on each and OPM doesn't look like the sort of show that will get loads of Blu-Ray fixes, so at around 40 bux plus each, they're not a value ridden offer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You don't want those blurays. Art is cool enough, but its not Murata level and there are only two episodes on each and OPM doesn't look like the sort of show that will get loads of Blu-Ray fixes, so at around 40 bux plus each, they're not a value ridden offer.

Welcome to the anime industry!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll make the thread for it sometime this week (probably tomorrow) so let's stop talking about it in here.

Alright will look forward to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gyges posted:

All of Greed Island was them powering up. They started off as a little above bare minimum and by the end were the strongest ones on the island playing the game.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, as Gyges said, GI was an arc that had plenty of powering up. But more than that HxH has never really been about getting powerups so much as about Gon pushing through every challenge because he is actually a crazy person who is willing to do just about anything to himself if it accomplishes his goals.

Anyway, we should probably get back to talking about OPM instead of HxH. :v:

No no no, I meant the end of Greed Island to Chimera Ant. The anime went from teleport with card to Meet Kite and they weren't exactly metahumans among children like fight 1-200 of Heaven's Arena.

I'll drop it now though, you have a point, Radish.

fake edit: I didn't refresh! Sorry, Bad Seafood

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jagchosis posted:

I've actually gotten a good chunk of non-anime watchers and/or anime haters to watch Madoka first and it has been very well received. I do have to include caveats of "trust me it's not as creepy as it looks" tho
Yeah, that's kinda what I mean though, sometimes you could end up forgetting those caveats and end up getting weird looks from your coworker or whatnot if you don't sort of tell them enough about the medium.

Also, it helps if they are not dumb as bricks unable to read between the lines or understanding complex narratives. The kind of person who thinks Futurama is too smart for them.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Tunahead posted:

Realtalk: I shouldn't make fun because I would legit recommend Cyber City Oedo 808 as someone's first anime, even knowing deep down that I'm being profoundly retarded.
Don't you dare be ashamed of loving Cyber City Oedo 808. That poo poo is classic.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It's alright. It's not a particularly problematic derail and it probably won't be until tomorrow night I get the new thread up, I just didn't want it to consume this thread.

Replace "Stop talking" in my previous post with "Wind down." A little chitchat won't hurt nobody.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

No no no, I meant the end of Greed Island to Chimera Ant. The anime went from teleport with card to Meet Kite and they weren't exactly metahumans among children like fight 1-200 of Heaven's Arena.

I'll drop it now though, you have a point, Radish.

They were nearly as strong as Genthru who is pretty strong. They only fought weak Ants under Kite as training until later when they got more formal training with Biscuit again.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Lmao whenever a someone talking about OPM says, "When are we going to find out the REAL reason Saitama is so strong?"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He still didn't hit the mosquito with this FYI

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Lmao whenever a someone talking about OPM says, "When are we going to find out the REAL reason Saitama is so strong?"

You know when a hero has made it when people fight over who'd win, Saitama or Goku. (which I'm seeing a lot of lately.)

I actually have something to say about that but I need to wait for the next episode first.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

Don't you dare be ashamed of loving Cyber City Oedo 808. That poo poo is classic.

The greatest crime the anime industry has ever committed was not making more Cyber City Oedo. We needed more than 3 episode!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Please tell me Murata's gone ballistic and has started making color versions of all his anime. :v:

I really like Mumen Rider just sitting there (no doubt on his bike) taking in the sights.

These are freaking beautiful

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

These are phenomenal; holy poo poo. Where are they from?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

This is the only time I've wished I had three monitors, so I could slap some black bars on the top and bottom of these and use them as wallpaper.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bad Seafood posted:

WE actually a threads for both, the anime and the manga, both still not in the archives, even if they hadn't had a post in over a year.

Manga:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638303
Anime:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442177

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Both of those show up as in the archives for me, actually.

No posting or quoting options either.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ChubbyThePhat posted:

These are phenomenal; holy poo poo. Where are they from?

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=54059031

Just some artist who stopped drawing boobie girls for Rage of Bahamut long enough to draw an amazing scene.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bad Seafood posted:

Both of those show up as in the archives for me, actually.

No posting or quoting options either.

You are right. I don't have archives so I figured they must still be in the live forums since I could access them.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Which doesn't make any sense anyway, because it's already been answered. Guy eats lots of crabs, becomes a crab man. Guy who wants to become a hero becomes the strongest hero. It's just how the universe works.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Shakugan posted:

Which doesn't make any sense anyway, because it's already been answered. Guy eats lots of crabs, becomes a crab man. Guy who wants to become a hero becomes the strongest hero. It's just how the universe works.

Apparently a little boy wanted a chin that looked like a huge set of balls.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackchamber posted:

Apparently a little boy wanted a chin that looked like a huge set of balls.

Actually he got that from his dad.
Don't know why his dad wanted a chin that looks like a pair of balls though...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Look, read the story of Sampson. Then realize that Japan is on the other side of the Earth from the Levant, so of course it's opposite. Like how when it's winter in the real world it's summer in Australia. So of course being bald has made him immeasurably strong, because he's also ritualistically impure by Jewish standards and is eats vinegar.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
To be honest, early on I thought Saitama might have gone the villain route in the end as well simply because he had those few moments where he said he basically doesn't feel much of anything anymore and it seemed like he had traded in his humanity for godlike power

but i agree that would have been pretty lame

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Augus posted:

Actually he got that from his dad.
Don't know why his dad wanted a chin that looks like a pair of balls though...

He once said "I want a really huge set of balls" while motioning with his hands like he was holding a couple of melons, unfortunately, his hands were kinda under his chin when doing this motion.

Zzulu posted:

To be honest, early on I thought Saitama might have gone the villain route in the end as well simply because he had those few moments where he said he basically doesn't feel much of anything anymore and it seemed like he had traded in his humanity for godlike power

but i agree that would have been pretty lame

I wish they would pay this some more attention. Dudes actually kinda depressed if I remember correctly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

e X posted:

You are right. I don't have archives so I figured they must still be in the live forums since I could access them.
Nah, there's like a limbo between the two where both those threads (and several others) currently reside.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ak Gara posted:

I wish they would pay this some more attention. Dudes actually kinda depressed if I remember correctly.

One Punch Man is the story of a lonely guy who started making a quirky group of friends.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Eej posted:

One Punch Man is the story of a lonely guy who started making a quirky group of friends.

But most importantly he does 100 of several things and then punches people really really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I could never see Saitama as a villain.

• Locked thread