Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Scyantific posted:

I will cut you.

MGS 3 is the best MGS

plebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I like them both a lot for very different reasons.

MGS3 is a lot more 'fun' though.

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

SHISHKABOB posted:

I like the part in EoE where they show the movie theater audience. The one guy is like "yo yo sup, yeah hey".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao "sup"

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Radio Spiricom posted:

revival of evangelion features a second edit of death (formally called death(true)2 i think) and that is a cut of death & rebirth that immediately transitions into 26'. its included in the bd box but idk if any groups have subbed this.

oh what ive only seen the death(true)2 version, i thought the only real difference was the earlier one had the opening chunk of eoe at the end. do you mean 25'?? because the one ive seen ends with kaworu's death scene, nothing further

anyway you should check it out in training it's more interesting than just a recap, it's totally re-edited and has a couple shots that aren't in the show

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

oh yeah whoops. it was a theatrical rerelease of both movies from 1998 and i think its regarded as the 'final' version of the films. its included on the last two discs of the bd box

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Somebody buy me the bd set and then teach me Japanese. Please...

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Guys,

http://www.animemaru.com/evagelion-3-01-0-delayed-until-actual-third-impact/

Is this real, or wishful thinking??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds about right

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wishful photoshop and parody article.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
I'm pretty sure work on the new Eva stopped sine Anno is working on Godzilla. I would be surprised if we saw it before 2017.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd be surprised if we saw it before 2037

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd be surprised if we saw it before 2037

Come on, it's not A Song of Ice and Fire. But yeah, 20th anniversary of The End of Evangelion is looking more and more likely.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I would still love to know what the gently caress happened between 2.0 and 3.0. The sneak peek in 2.0 seemed to imply a much more coherent story, and i don't think anything they showed actually made it into 3.0.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
There's such a disconnect between 2.22 and 3.0 that as far as I'm concerned, Eva stopped at 2.22 and 3.0 + 4.0 are a new universe, like Tenchi Muyo had a bunch of different versions that all told the same story and introduced the same characters in new different ways.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I'd not be entirely upset if 3.0+1.0 turned out to be a reboot of 3.0.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

I'd not be entirely upset if 3.0+1.0 turned out to be a reboot of 3.0.

I would. 3.0 is by far the most interesting thing to happen to this franchise in years.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

a bunch of different versions that all told the same story and introduced the same characters in new different ways.

this is almost literally exactly what the rebuild project is doing, "evangelion is a story that repeats"

i don't think that seeing what happened during the timeskip would be particularly interesting or illuminating. narrative coherence was never the show's strong suit so why should it be in a project whose intention is ostensibly to remake that? part of what makes the show appealing in the first place is how intentionally ambiguous everything about it is. you could spend forever trying to "figure it out" but the value of the show's mythology is how it creates feelings through individual moments rather than it making any sort of sense. 3 works the same way: we're responsible for filling in the gap here. (additionally the show spends so much time developing this mythology which it then largely abandons for a narrative arc that primarily appeals to pathos (similar to twin peaks/fire walk with me, and really all of david lynch's later material))

i think you all are underestimating how deliberate some parts of the project are. again, the point of it is still - apparently - to remake the show. even if the movies don't follow the show in lockstep, they follow the same beats. it's taking something familiar and updating it for a radically different context. part of the point of the timeskip is to mimic the tonal gearshift that the show takes around the midway point--the show plunges the characters and viewer headlong into a world of confusion/isolation/etc around that point so it would make sense that the movies do the same, but differently. and in a way 3 is an externalization of shinji's mental states from episodes 19-24, not dissimilar from the way end of eva connects to 25/26, so i would not be surprised to see 4 do the same but with 25/26/end of eva. and maybe (given the title of 3.0+1.0 and going off the theme of repetition) the end of the final movie will reconnect the movies to the show forming a moebius strip like structure. <------ nb this is how i want it to end

plus it's interesting to see how the metatext of the movies is shifting to accomodate the updating of the story, and how anno's pathologies are seemingly repeating themselves too...

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 21, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

and maybe (given the title of 3.0+1.0 and going off the theme of repetition) the end of the final movie will reconnect the movies to the show forming a moebius strip like structure. <------ nb this is how i want it to end

This would be a very sad end for Rebuild, and arguably more cynical than EoE's ending.

If they go that route with that movie though, I'd hope the plot isn't literally "Shinji you're trapped in a time loop!".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well Eva basically is stuck in a time loop from a production standpoint, since Anno has spent a majority of the last two decades of his professional career making Eva media

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

Well Eva basically is stuck in a time loop from a production standpoint, since Anno has spent a majority of the last two decades of his professional career making Eva media

Eva 3.0+1.0 features live-action Cutie Honey and Godzilla showing up to aid Shinji. I heard that one from my boyfriend Nagisa-san at Studio Khara.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
3.0 tells you all the important poo poo about what happened. It's perfectly "narratively coherent". If you get confused then just look back at the series. Of course, things are different in some ways.

But I mean sheesh guys why do you need all this poo poo hand fed to you. It's a fuckin mystery. Like where do the Angels come from, what exactly do they want, why do they try to connect to us, blah blah blah. It's there in that form for a purpose, not as a mistake or failure to tell the story correctly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SHISHKABOB posted:

3.0 tells you all the important poo poo about what happened. It's perfectly "narratively coherent". If you get confused then just look back at the series. Of course, things are different in some ways.

But I mean sheesh guys why do you need all this poo poo hand fed to you. It's a fuckin mystery. Like where do the Angels come from, what exactly do they want, why do they try to connect to us, blah blah blah. It's there in that form for a purpose, not as a mistake or failure to tell the story correctly.

Sheesh guys what's wrong with yall there's absolutely nothing
wrong with a bait and switch of a movie that randomly introduces new characters that don't matter and jumps a random amount of time into the future with poo poo like manmade angels just being there like it's totally normal.

What is wrong with the audience when they can't understand a simple rehash of the Shinji/Kaworu episode all because it's covered in bells and whistles that have absolutely no real purpose to them. Please improve yalls tolerance for misleading fluff.

I say this as someone who enjoyed most of 3.0: it was a mess

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bells and whistles that have no purpose to them is all that evangelion has ever had

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shinjobi posted:

wrong with a bait and switch of a movie that randomly introduces new characters that don't matter and jumps a random amount of time into the future with poo poo like manmade angels just being there like it's totally normal.

What is wrong with the audience when they can't understand a simple rehash of the Shinji/Kaworu episode all because it's covered in bells and whistles that have absolutely no real purpose to them. Please improve yalls tolerance for misleading fluff.

i suggest you send Anno some hate mail about it

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

I agree totally. That episode about how Earth is the only planet with 2 eggs because one of those Elder Seeder Gods screwed up and sent a second to Earth by mistake, and with how Humans came from that second egg means we're the ones not meant to be here instead of the Angels was quite clear on the matter.

Oh wait.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ak Gara posted:

I agree totally. That episode about how Earth is the only planet with 2 eggs because one of those Elder Seeder Gods screwed up and sent a second to Earth by mistake, and with how Humans came from that second egg means we're the ones not meant to be here instead of the Angels was quite clear on the matter.

Oh wait.

i love my dead gay things that were never included in the tv series son

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

Oh wait.

That sounds like something from one of those irrelevant PS2 games.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah I was on 3 hours of sleep when I posted that. Gonna leave it up for posterity, but I don't remember half of it aside from "I liked 3.0 but it had some issues." Next time I'll just post that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

The time jump is not a random length, wasn't it the time between the end of the series and the premier of 3.0?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i guess it depends how you qualify end but it is 14 years which is the same amount of time between the release of the final theatrical version (revival) and 3. its 14 years for lots of reasons but yeah it's not just some arbitrary amount of time and you'd be stupid to think so

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The timeline doesn't match up perfectly likely because of the actual production problems but it was clearly intended to be "this is the time frame between Eva and Rebuild, which also happens to match up with important dates in the series."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

Oh wait.

That's... not the point of the show! So, no, you won't find these unimportant facts, and they weren't what I was talking about.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I actually like the fact EoE doesn't answer all the questions. It creates interesting discussions about people's own interpretation for years and years.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've never got the backlash against the extra clarifications of the ps2 game. It's basically all there in the show (black moon/egg of Lilith, the Angels coming from Adam and man from Lilith etc). Goons and certain types of Eva fans sometimes have some weird anti-world building views.

The psychological and character stuff and themes are more important, but the terrifying scifi blasphemy science aspect of Eva is also awesome and an important aspect of the show and there's nothing wrong with it being less ambiguous.

I like, however, that 3.0 totally drops the bomb and makes the scifi blasphemy aspect confusing and not even ambiguous but just plain unknown again

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think they were complete cowards for refusing to age up the characters in 3.0 for the timeskip. It's just one of those Japanese things, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The psychological and character stuff and themes are more important, but the terrifying scifi blasphemy science aspect of Eva is also awesome and an important aspect of the show and there's nothing wrong with it being less ambiguous.

The entire show is about dealing with the uncertainties and ambiguities of having relationships with other people, and choosing to move forward and live anyways. The scifi stuff exists as a reflection of that- Shinji doesn't totally understand a person like Asuka in the same way he doesn't understand what the hell these Angels he's been killing are. Getting precise details about the planet the Angels come from or whatever severely undercuts this idea that runs through the entire series.

IOW the ambiguity and the lack of comfort from having perfect information is the point.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 23, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I think they were complete cowards for refusing to age up the characters in 3.0 for the timeskip. It's just one of those Japanese things, though.

The curse of Eva is my favorite part of 3, or maybe the piano scene. It's such a simple and effective way to convey the idea of being stuck in an endless rut.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The panspermia stuff comes from classic and New Wave sci-fi, just like most of Eva's terminology that isn't borrowed from esoteric Christianity and Judaism. There aren't any answers, either- Adam and Lilith come from the void of space/the "precursors". The rest of it- the origin of the Lance of Longinus, the arrival of Lilith, etc. is all from the show itself- it's called "Second Impact" because Lilith arrived with the rogue planet that formed the Moon in the Big Impact theory of lunar formation, or rather, First Impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panzeh posted:

They did age the characters though. The ones they didn't age were characters who have a very significant thematic reason not to age. (Because man/womanchildren.)