Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

First Law is pretty great, Joe Abercrombie is an SF&F thread favorite.

Brandon Sanderson is really hit or miss. If you like worldbuilding and magic system detailed enough to double as an RPG sourcebook and you don't mind his prose/dialogue/literally-everything-but-worldbuilding being mediocre at best, you'll probably be a fan.

Night Angel is garbage even by the standards of a genre filled with garbage.

High Warlord Zog posted:

What about Stephenson's Baroque Cycle or, if he wants to read a contemporary shooty-shoot bang bang book, Reamde?

Cryptonomicon and Anathem are his best, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I'm looking for some novels that take place in the Roman Empire, preferably the eastern portion during the time of Jesus but not necessarily featuring him. An example would be the movie Ben Hur.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TommyGun85 posted:

I'm looking for some novels that take place in the Roman Empire, preferably the eastern portion during the time of Jesus but not necessarily featuring him. An example would be the movie Ben Hur.

the novel Ben Hur?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

Henryk Sienkiewicz's Quo Vadis is a little after Jesus's time (AD 64), but might suit you.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about getting my father in law a few books for Christmas. He mostly travels in dad-lit, e.g. cold war thrillers and related dashing American heroics. I'm not exactly trying to challenge him, but is there anything that falls within that genre that has a couple more dashes of literary merit than Clancy? I was thinking John le Carre, but I suspect he has the most obvious le Carre books since they've been around long enough. The more recent the publication, the better the odds he doesn't have it.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm thinking about getting my father in law a few books for Christmas. He mostly travels in dad-lit, e.g. cold war thrillers and related dashing American heroics. I'm not exactly trying to challenge him, but is there anything that falls within that genre that has a couple more dashes of literary merit than Clancy? I was thinking John le Carre, but I suspect he has the most obvious le Carre books since they've been around long enough. The more recent the publication, the better the odds he doesn't have it.

Ken Follett is a favorite of my father and fits what you describe.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Hey can someone recommend me a new book series, I like to buy books by the series because I live in South Korea so it can be pricey to buy English novels and it is better to buy them 3 or more at a time. I like Joe Abercrombie, Jim Butcher, John Scalzi, anything Sci-fi or Fantasy really even like L E Modesitt I like, thanks guys!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Olen Steinhauer is writing some excellent le Carre-type stuff (more tradecraft and psychological stuff vs gadgets and explosions), but he's a best-seller, so I dunno if he would know his work or not. Daniel Silva is another good one, but, again we have the issue of him being really well-known. Maybe Chris Pavone or, if you want something (a lot) more violent, Don Winslow? Joakim Zander's The Swimmer is fairly recent and has gotten some le Carre comparisons, but to me it felt like a cover version rather than something original. Good chance he hasn't read it, though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

alnilam posted:

I'd like a Vonnegut recommendation please. I've read Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, Slapstick, Bluebeard, and Player Piano. I love them all but if I had to pick a favorite it'd be Cat's Cradle.

Mother Night is very good.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I just finished The Wise Man Fears by Patrick Rothfuss and I'm looking for more of the same so epic fantasy or maybe science fiction if it has a similar style. I really enjoyed the first-person perspective as I can't recall the last book I read that utilized it.

My favourite book is probably Anna Karenina. I have read the Gentlemen Bastard series by Scott Lynch and enjoyed it but nearly as much as the Kingkiller Chronicles. I am up to date with the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I have had the Red Rising trilogy recommended to me by someone.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Dead Goon posted:

Mother Night is very good.

Seconding this. When I did a re-read about a year ago it surprised me just how stunningly good I had forgotten it was.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Seconding this. When I did a re-read about a year ago it surprised me just how stunningly good I had forgotten it was.

The literary equivalent of being kicked in the nuts, repeatedly.

it is good.

e:

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My pa got almost nothing but dad-lit this year, which included le Carre's Our Kind of Traitor (2010).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 24, 2015

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I'm looking on a book that essentially just covers all of human history. Something along the lines of "humanity can be traced back to x, about z years ago" and from there it sort of gives a crash course of what lead humanity from that point to where it is now. How mankind migrated, how they survived, how cultures and languages developed and groups became kingdoms and etc down to the countries and regions we know today or something like that. Is there such a book that covers the big bullet points like that? Or do we only have big comprehensive encyclopedias for this kind of thing?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

I haven't read it but this thing sounds cool and might be up your alley: http://www.amazon.com/Captivity-Gy%C3%B6rgy-Spir%C3%B3/dp/1632060493
It's about jews in the eastern roman empire after Jesus' death.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

E_P posted:

Hey can someone recommend me a new book series, I like to buy books by the series because I live in South Korea so it can be pricey to buy English novels and it is better to buy them 3 or more at a time. I like Joe Abercrombie, Jim Butcher, John Scalzi, anything Sci-fi or Fantasy really even like L E Modesitt I like, thanks guys!

How about sci-fi AND fantasy?

The Quantum Thief trilogy is amazing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Corte posted:

I just finished The Wise Man Fears by Patrick Rothfuss and I'm looking for more of the same so epic fantasy or maybe science fiction if it has a similar style. I really enjoyed the first-person perspective as I can't recall the last book I read that utilized it.

My favourite book is probably Anna Karenina. I have read the Gentlemen Bastard series by Scott Lynch and enjoyed it but nearly as much as the Kingkiller Chronicles. I am up to date with the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I have had the Red Rising trilogy recommended to me by someone.

Try Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobbs

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

I'm looking on a book that essentially just covers all of human history. Something along the lines of "humanity can be traced back to x, about z years ago" and from there it sort of gives a crash course of what lead humanity from that point to where it is now. How mankind migrated, how they survived, how cultures and languages developed and groups became kingdoms and etc down to the countries and regions we know today or something like that. Is there such a book that covers the big bullet points like that? Or do we only have big comprehensive encyclopedias for this kind of thing?

I think you want Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari and/or Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I think you want Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari and/or Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond.

I hear that GGS's reputation these days is 'OK, but overshadowed by other, better books in the same vein'. Unfortunately, I can't help you with what those better books are.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I hear that GGS's reputation these days is 'OK, but overshadowed by other, better books in the same vein'. Unfortunately, I can't help you with what those better books are.

Yeah Sapiens is the newer of the two so I'd probably suggest they start with that.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
I recently finished The Rook. Looking for something similar, I enjoyed the strong yet unassuming main character, the bits of dark sarcastic humour and just overall how real the characters felt (even with the x-files comedy plot). Ideally something set in the UK but not too fussy. Already read Rivers of London.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Thanks a bunch!

rembrant
Feb 5, 2006

I believe in Mr. Grieves.

Space T Rex posted:

It's limited to Europeans (and North Africa/the Ancient Near East), but I found Jean Manco's Ancestral Journeys: The Peopling of Europe from the First Venturers to the Vikings to be pretty fantastic. It breaks down all the genetic, archaeological, linguistic, and (eventually) historical evidences for human migrations, mostly in pre-history (though it does touch on human migrations up to around 1000AD). I found it to be pretty comprehensive, if limited geographically. Reading it does get a little bogged down when the author gets into the specifics of DNA evidence, but I still found the whole thing compelling. The most surprising thing, to me, about reading it is- you're going along, reading about all these pre-historic tribes about which we know almost nothing, and then, bam, the Egyptians and Sumerians show up and start writing about how big their dicks are.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

jax posted:

I recently finished The Rook. Looking for something similar, I enjoyed the strong yet unassuming main character, the bits of dark sarcastic humour and just overall how real the characters felt (even with the x-files comedy plot). Ideally something set in the UK but not too fussy. Already read Rivers of London.

The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

funkybottoms posted:

The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross

Perfect, thanks!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I need something exciting, scary, and disturbing. And most importantly, well-written. I don't have a lot of patience for lovely characterization and prose. But I really want something that is going to keep me glued to the page and shuddering.

edit: Current leading prospects are Bird Box and Nick Cutter's The Troop

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Cold Moon over Babylon by Michael McDowell
Looks interesting but not available at the store I'm going to tomorrow.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 26, 2015

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

blue squares posted:

I need something exciting, scary, and disturbing. And most importantly, well-written. I don't have a lot of patience for lovely characterization and prose. But I really want something that is going to keep me glued to the page and shuddering.

Cold Moon over Babylon by Michael McDowell

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

blue squares posted:

I need something exciting, scary, and disturbing. And most importantly, well-written. I don't have a lot of patience for lovely characterization and prose. But I really want something that is going to keep me glued to the page and

I think I have the perfect book for you: Mario Vargas Llosa's Feast of the Goat.
It's an historical fiction novel about the arguably worst Latin American dictatorship of the 20th century. Amazingly written and deeply disturbing. It plunges that knife in your gut early and keeps twisting.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mcustic posted:

I think I have the perfect book for you: Mario Vargas Llosa's Feast of the Goat.
It's an historical fiction novel about the arguably worst Latin American dictatorship of the 20th century. Amazingly written and deeply disturbing. It plunges that knife in your gut early and keeps twisting.

Looks like I have a 17 mile drive ahead of me tomorrow to go pick this up! Gonna grab something more traditional horror, too, but this looks great. Thanks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Mvl is hype blue, you'll like him

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm nearly finished with The Longships and I really loved the epic style and understated humor throughout. Has anyone that has read that found something else in that vein? It doesn't need to be about Vikings (in fact for variety I would prefer if it weren't), it's the style and humor I'm looking for.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

Late, but: Cartoon History of the Universe does that and is funny too.

And now I'm gonna have to check out Sapiens.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Looking for a book dealing with first contact with aliens or the discovery of an alien artifact/first contact with aliens.

Or maybe even a dystopian future dealing with the survivors/rebels dealing with the aftermath of alien ivnasion.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Looking for a book dealing with first contact with aliens or the discovery of an alien artifact/first contact with aliens.

Haven't read it, but Leviathan Wakes is all the rage these days, and the first part of a series. It's one of those books I've been thinking about reading for a while but worry that I would hate it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

Or maybe even a dystopian future dealing with the survivors/rebels dealing with the aftermath of alien ivnasion.

You could try Existence by David Brin. It's about what happens when we find an alien artifact in orbit.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Goon favorite Blindsight by Peter Watts!

(assuming you want to annhilate all vestiges of the holiday spirit from your mind)

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015
I just finished re-reading some of Christopher Moore's books, ending with Lamb: The gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood friend.

I have never enjoyed an author this much, and I would love to find more like this. Its the mix of sarcasm, the good story telling, and the way he is going one way with the story and then out of nowhere something hilarious or awful happens.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Solfrann posted:

I just finished re-reading some of Christopher Moore's books, ending with Lamb: The gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood friend.

I have never enjoyed an author this much, and I would love to find more like this. Its the mix of sarcasm, the good story telling, and the way he is going one way with the story and then out of nowhere something hilarious or awful happens.

Carl Hiaasen? He's got a very Moore-like sense of humor and a way with twists. I'd suggest Stormy Weather or Skinny Dip, but you can't really go wrong with any of his books.

Another possible suggestion is Tom Robbins. He's a bit more ... wacky than Moore but a lot of fun. Try Skinny Legs and All or Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates, or Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas if you want something really out there.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

WastedJoker posted:

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan by Richard Paul Russo (same book, different title depending on which side of the Atlantic you live)

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I think I've read Existence. I know I've read Leviathan Wakes and Blindsight!

I'll try Unto Leviathan :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just read And Then There Were None and liked it enough to want more of the same. Not necessarily by Christie but I'm not at all opposed to more of her. I liked the time period in which it was set and the isolation of the island. And the increasingly implausible murders of course.