Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Well the princess is a foreigner so obviously they wouldn't breed with her kind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
they both sound like garbage schlock.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The shows are dumb but fairly fun, this thread is only the first.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hi thread, let's try not to be weird, and just talk about these two shows like reasonably normal people. Good natured teasing is fine, but this isn't a mock-thread. If you hate the shows please just don't watch them, and if you watch anyway don't feel the need to tell us how bad you find them to be.
Thanks.

Somewhat surprisingly, Asterisk had a pretty good episode this week. We got a lot of info on OgreLuxes, Claudia, and some other aspects of the world. Julis needs to just go for it and ignore the fact that Ayato keeps accumulating potential love-interests like the King of All Cosmos asked for a big ball of them.

Chivalry pulled out all of the stylistic stops: limited color pallets! film grain effects! title-card time hopping scene transitions! Actually it somehow felt like it was a longer episode than normal, there was a shitload of information dropped and events that happened but it didn't feel particularly rushed to me, and did a good job of setting up the grand finale next week.

But always remember: don't kiss princesses, or you'll go to jail. :ohdear:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really liked the cool poo poo chivalry did with colors

also incest sister officially supports the main relationship or something. it's nice that this didn't turn into an incest anime

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nah the effects in Failknight were excessive. The film grain and spots made no sense to me, usually when they are faked in new productions like this it's used to indicate a flashback. Some kind of "cheap camcorder" or "CCTV camera" effect would have been better if they wanted it to be documentary-like.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think it was meant to make it look more oppressive and make the incarceration somewhat abstract

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
It's ok kitten, I will poo poo up the thread less this time. If you're going to ask so nicely.

That said, Kissing: arrestable offense. Cohabitation: school sponsored.

The filters were pretty though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I know right?

Yes, we'll put two hot young adults in a shared room, BUT NO TOUCHING. :mad::cop:

I'm of two minds about all the filters: they really helped sell the idea that it's a hosed up nightmarish situation that barely has any bearing on reality. But, at the same time using so many was pretty distracting.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The whole episode was just people standing and talking. It would have been boring to actually watch if they didn't let that one animator with the new filter suite go hog wild.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
For a second I thought there might be an anime adaptation of Asterix and Obelix and I got my hopes up. :smith:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the lack of asterisk/asterix art is disappointing, tbh

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Why is it called Asterisk Wars by the way? If they wanted to show that there were 5 schools in a roundabout manner, why not just call it The Star Wars :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why is it called Asterisk Wars by the way? If they wanted to show that there were 5 schools in a roundabout manner, why not just call it The Star Wars :v:

The island is shaped like an Asterisk. Really, that's it.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
In failknight, I don't understand the sister's reaction to any of this. She's already stated that she hates her family because of what the did to her brother but instead of cutting ties with them or reporting their abuse of her brother to the media (which would hugely embarass them given how prominent they're supposed to be) she decides to incestuously fall in love with him.

Why does the protagonist always respond with "I'll just work harder until they acknowledge me" in those anime scenarios where they're shunned and treated like crap in the family? You would think, statistically, that one of them would just go "gently caress it, you hurt me, I'll hurt you worse". What boggles my mind is that, most of the time, it ends up working out and the family acknowledges them. That's not how toxic abusive relationships go. You don't ever change the other person's mind and make them realize they were wrong the whole time. The self-help book, psychologically healthy response is supposed to be that you realize you don't have to live up to other people's standards not that they were right and you just weren't trying hard enough.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

organism posted:

You would think, statistically, that one of them would just go "gently caress it, you hurt me, I'll hurt you worse".

I agree with the rest of your post, but the obvious answer to this is that the kind of person who'd do that wouldn't fit into the "perfect in every way" role that a LN main character is supposed to be. God is not only omnipotent and omniscient, he's also omnibenevolent.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

organism posted:

In failknight, I don't understand the sister's reaction to any of this. She's already stated that she hates her family because of what the did to her brother but instead of cutting ties with them or reporting their abuse of her brother to the media (which would hugely embarass them given how prominent they're supposed to be) she decides to incestuously fall in love with him.

Why does the protagonist always respond with "I'll just work harder until they acknowledge me" in those anime scenarios where they're shunned and treated like crap in the family? You would think, statistically, that one of them would just go "gently caress it, you hurt me, I'll hurt you worse". What boggles my mind is that, most of the time, it ends up working out and the family acknowledges them. That's not how toxic abusive relationships go. You don't ever change the other person's mind and make them realize they were wrong the whole time. The self-help book, psychologically healthy response is supposed to be that you realize you don't have to live up to other people's standards not that they were right and you just weren't trying hard enough.

It's a bad show made by idiots.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

organism posted:

People don't live their lives with a hand book of the objectively correct thing to do in every situation.

Like 'Why does this person make mistakes and not know the exact right thing to do every time.' is the dumbest criticism of a story.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 14, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

organism posted:

You would think, statistically, that one of them would just go "gently caress it, you hurt me, I'll hurt you worse".

This happens all the time.

Just never in stories where it's the protagonist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It happens all the time in terrible wuxia webnovels. It doesn't really matter if such characters get revenged into a fine paste or not. Their only purpose is to make a mc seem vaguely sympathetic, and they rarely succeed. You kind of need character traits other than 'is perfect' and 'is maybe a little too perfect' for that to happen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

organism posted:

I kinda see where you're coming from (I made a similar criticism of why Nisekoi is still going despite the fact that it's a harem and those are supposed to have a short shelf-life), but what you also have to understand is that, well, Japanese people march to a different drumbeat.

Same reason why in SAO a teenager gets shunned because she killed a bank-robber in self-defense when younger. A western viewer probably thinks “Wow! She was a loving badass!”... whereas the in-story point of view is somewhere along the lines of:
  1. Little girl had to get a healthy dose of PTSD.
  2. Since Japan has the most insane laws regarding firearms and weapons in general, obviously a little girl wielding a weapon stands out way too much.
  3. Take the first two points and when she tries to search for professional help, due to the aforementioned cultural differences, she still gets shunned by the professionals that are supposed to be there for her.
Ikki is in a similar boat: Because of the fact that, due to the setting's academic system, he's not up to the standards that are expected of him, he's treated with utter disdain by his supposed loved ones... and yet, despite that he keeps trying, even when it's evidently clear that outside of the white-haired, overly-touchy bore that his little sister is, he's of no use for them so he might as well not exist and-- DO YOU SEE WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS?

Or it could be because he needs to be a generic Marty-Stu LN protagonist. This is my “turn your brain off for 25 minutes” show, so what the hell do I know.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

95% of why I watch chivalry is because it looks pretty, basically

Has the staff behind this done anything else that is of similar production quality?

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

ninjewtsu posted:

95% of why I watch chivalry is because it looks pretty, basically

Has the staff behind this done anything else that is of similar production quality?

Chivalry is a pretty weird outlier for Silver Link, actually. Their animation's always really good, but moe Slice of Life is their usual genre, so it doesn't get shown off very often.

They did Kaleid Liner and Chaos Dragon, both of which have action that looks approximately as good, but, uh, both have their obvious drawbacks as well.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

organism posted:

I'm pretty sure this is basically the most stereotypical go-to "difference between western and eastern culture" example in existence. Filial piety is sort of a big thing in asian cultures.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The dad straight up spelled out it don't matter how hard he tries. If he succeeds it would just give hope to those uppity normals that they could accomplish anything in life. This is unacceptable because the dad is a cartoon villain.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow, what's a cartoon villain doing in a cartoon?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Classy Hydra posted:

Chivalry is a pretty weird outlier for Silver Link, actually. Their animation's always really good, but moe Slice of Life is their usual genre, so it doesn't get shown off very often.

They did Kaleid Liner and Chaos Dragon, both of which have action that looks approximately as good, but, uh, both have their obvious drawbacks as well.

C3: Cube x Cursed x Curious has good visuals as well, but it's pretty much a bog-standard comedy/harem, so if you refuse to watch those sorts of shows I wouldn't suggest it (granted that you're in the thread focused on those shows at present). I enjoyed it, but I only wound up watching it due to the song having been sung on Sore ga Seiyuu and my willingness to watch anything that stars Yukari Tamura.

Episode 1 Screencaps are available here: http://www.crymore.net/2011/10/08/fansub-review-hatsuyuki-c3-episode-01/ I like the lighting effects and attention to detail on some of the backgrounds.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Classy Hydra posted:

What are these obvious drawbacks? The first one is a magical girl anime? The second one is based off some nerds playing dnd?

I don't quite understand

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first one is pedo poo poo and the second is just poo poo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ok thanks

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow, what's a cartoon villain doing in a cartoon?

Being a jerk, mostly.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The first one is pedo poo poo and the second is just poo poo.

A poster after my own heart.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pavlov posted:

A poster after my own heart.

T-that doesn't make me happy....

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what a brutal insult

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Nah, "just poo poo" is a pretty standard insult Davi.

But that's neither here nor there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Asterisk War: hey there's another season coming! That's right, another season. More mysteries to be found in the (wait for it) second season.

"Ayato..."
"Yes, Julis?"
"I...I just wanted to say that I really--"
"Are looking forward to the second season? Me too!"

The last scene (before the credits) was silly enough to bring a smile to my face though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I was rather disappointed in the final fight in Worst One. I was expecting something... better.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Stella is the god drat best.

I liked the last fight, they dialed back the visual effects from last week and made the whole thing look cool and not nearly as overdone. I'm kind of a sucker for fights that end in one blow though
And congratulations to Ikki and Stella! :3::kimchi::3:

A very good last episode in my opinion, there's certainly room for a sequel (and i've decided that i do hope we get one), but even if not, i don't feel ripped off and am totally happy with it.

And man, i can't loving believe that both these shows played the OP song during the climatic fight and also shifted up the art style as well. :psyduck:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Nalin posted:

I was rather disappointed in the final fight in Worst One. I was expecting something... better.

They spent basically the entire arc beating the crap out of Ikki to the point it would have honestly been kind of silly if he proceeded to win a drawn out swordfight, so :shrug:.

Anyway from what I hear past this point Worst One gets kind of bad and even more obsessed with making Ikki's life hell, so this is a good point to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

organism posted:

Wait, I thought the whole thing was subverting that; Ikki could never have that familial relationship and learning that is what broke him so hard that Shaft ensued. I'm pretty sure at this point Ikki has given up on that (to the point of him Proposing to Stella).

And as far as "hurting you worse" goes Ikki has put his Dad though a metaphorical table by proposing to Stella, exposing fatso as a cock and, whilst he wasn't aware of it, putting his father though a rather embarrassing phone call from HRH Vermillion.

It's not him putting a sword though that caste obsessed asswipe's face but it probably left a mark.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 22, 2015

• Locked thread