Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd be interested in reading your argument too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand Knit posted:

So I've been thinking about this description of Graver, and I think there's a part of Graver's Dudishness that hasn't been brought up yet. Sicario presents "just going with it" as something that can potentially be really bad. Most obviously, there's Macer refusing to 'just go with it' with whatever Graver and Alejandro are trying to do. But I think that something similar is also present in Graver's general philosophy: the world is 'just' a certain way so you have to just go with it; cartels and cartel violence are inevitable so the most that one can hope to achieve is to be in a good position relative to that violence. This is contrasted with sexual violence committed by the delta guys — "just lay back and let it happen."

It's something that happens a couple times in the movie in a funny way, too, when Kate asks if there's any food on the plane, he says: "There's some bitchin' peanuts in the back, but it's a serve yourself kind of deal."

This sounds absurd but we see the empty peanuts later, just like we see her smoking Indian Creek cigarettes. There's no real reason to show that she in fact ate some peanuts on the plane, just like Graver suggests that she help herself to. The empty packet of peanuts kind of recalls No Country (remember how evil an uncrinkling plastic package of peanuts seemed there), but it's also a little joke on what Graver says earlier. He is kidding around, he's relaxed, but he is in the ultimate position of power and she takes him totally seriously because he is just the way the world is. He doesn't have to be a Man In Black, in fact it's better that he's not.

"gently caress it! Yes! That's your answer. That's your answer for everything! Tattoo it on your forehead!"

As we know, she is Silvio, explicitly in the editing but also the Indian Creek cigarettes underline this. She is a cop who is so powerless her only role is to warm a seat. Kate's presence is in service of a legal formality, Silvio's job is to ferry drugs. Still, they both make 'good cops'. These are both little things but it's important to show that she partakes, she 'goes with it' and we see where it gets her (and us too, for that matter, because we want to ride along).

In Silvio's case, this is presented as literally life or death, but just as with the paralleling of lead characters in Capt. Phillips, for Kate, it's careerism. That is life or death. Not continually advancing, not being a company man, etc. is a social death. She is totally willing to act ethically within the law, but not act radically on her ethics. She does not compromise, she is compromised all because she 'lets it happen'.

Then there's all the Kurtz stuff where you could come at from any angle, 'ethical warlordism', 'controlled chaos' and all that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 15, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Saw it again and this time (when I was more concerned about what was happening in the frame vs the plot) the allusions to sexual violence, especially against women, stood out plain as day. They were literally everywhere. The scene where they visit the groups of detainees (headed wherever, over the border? to ICE camps?) remained poignant.

And this film definitely makes you dwell on each single instance of a legal drug reference, Matt's whiskey hands, cigarette after cigarette, as if to make a viewer question why certain drugs are prohibited while others are accepted.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Viginti posted:

I also took that 'no-one will hear about this' line as a follow-up to the chat about the hanging bodies. The media will be told and will tell that some violent mexican criminals attacked heroic americans and lost, if they're told anything at all. It will be positioned as a righteous act, and therefore there's nothing to write about; Blunt knows that they provoked it, that they shot first, that they were in control and that the story isn't that simple but no-one else will.

They shot first because a bunch of armed cartel goons didn't comply with an order to disarm and then tried to get out of their vehicles while still armed.

Can't really see a "better" way that could have gone.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think there's a lot made of the general attitude and environment of violence against women in the film, too. Villanueve is no stranger to discussing said themes (see Polytechnique for anyone accusing him of anti-feminist sentiment, or hell, the entirety of Enemy), and he's very straightforward with the idea that even though US military force is 'equal opportunity' its central power structure is built exclusively on the principles of the white male boy's club. No time for irrationality or hysterical fits of morality and due process, play along or be stomped. Or, better yet, in a scene that mirrors Macer's attempted sexual assault (and the systemic sexual assault of women in both Mexican and American culture)...Josh Brolin puts a knee to her neck and tells her to be quiet and stop moving. She's forcefully subdued, as is her black male partner to the tune of 'just let it happen.'

She and her partner are subdued because she physically assaults Josh Brolin's character.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This movie is going to look tits on BluRay.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

am0kgonzo posted:

They shot first because a bunch of armed cartel goons didn't comply with an order to disarm and then tried to get out of their vehicles while still armed.

Can't really see a "better" way that could have gone.

am0kgonzo posted:

She and her partner are subdued because she physically assaults Josh Brolin's character.

Correct, but missing the point. The mere facts of what happened don't tell us anything interesting. Much more important is why and how, and what meanings are attached to the actions.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Correct, but missing the point. The mere facts of what happened don't tell us anything interesting. Much more important is why and how, and what meanings are attached to the actions.

Ignoring the way those scenes actually play out on screen to make a point isn't very interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

am0kgonzo posted:

Ignoring the way those scenes actually play out on screen to make a point isn't very interesting.

Oh god give me a loving break.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Oh god give me a loving break.

No.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

I think you want to see way more into this than there really is.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I've liked the discussion in this thread far more than I actually liked the movie. Great atmosphere, wonderful themes as many of you have explained, but once the film was over I just felt empty about it. It was good in many regards, but I didn't feel emotionally attached to anything that happened or happens.

Good discussion y'all.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I think the biggest flaw is that it showed only one side of the conflict. At the end, Alarcón states that "Are we really that much worse than the people you work for? Who do you think we learned it from?", but with what's shown in the movie as a viewer I had a real hard time to make that comparison (from what we were shown in the movie).

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the movie immensely. But it doesn't make it any more or less than your run of the mill CIA/Black Ops movie to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Batham posted:

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the movie immensely. But it doesn't make it any more or less than your run of the mill CIA/Black Ops movie to me.

I wish every run of the mill Black Ops movie was anywhere near as good as this movie.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish every run of the mill Black Ops movie was anywhere near as good as this movie.

The plot certainly is, everything else is far above above run of the mill though. Unfortunately, it won't be remembered for any of those.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Batham posted:

I think you want to see way more into this than there really is.

Actually, I want to see everything that is present in the film, not only the most basic plot points. If you're telling me that there isn't significance to a male protagonist being told "Just lay back, baby. Let it happen." by someone who has their boot on his chest in a film where a female protagonist is violently assaulted while engaged in sexual activity, then you're missing a lot of the text of the film, let alone the subtext.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Batham posted:

The plot certainly is, everything else is far above above run of the mill though. Unfortunately, it won't be remembered for any of those.

Maybe, but admittedly I've never really been concerned about that, especially now that it's unlikely a feature film released to theatres will just get lost or deleted or whatever.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Actually, I want to see everything that is present in the film, not only the most basic plot points. If you're telling me that there isn't significance to a male protagonist being told "Just lay back, baby. Let it happen." by someone who has their boot on his chest in a film where a female protagonist is violently assaulted while engaged in sexual activity, then you're missing a lot of the text of the film, let alone the subtext.

Again, I think you're seeing things you want to see in that scene rather than what's there. It's cool though, each to his or her own opinion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have to go with Terrorist Fistbump on this one.

There is a lot of subtext in this film, and almost all of it is about power and control through application of force and violence.

Next you're gonna tell me that Alejandro's literally force his crotch right up into that dudes face he was interrogating wasn't an act of dominance.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Batham posted:

Again, I think you're seeing things you want to see in that scene rather than what's there. It's cool though, each to his or her own opinion.
I'd like to understand how you've developed your opinion. Right now I'm not convinced that subtext isn't real and that movies are just a series of events that happen without context or meaning.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Snak posted:

I'm gonna have to go with Terrorist Fistbump on this one.

There is a lot of subtext in this film, and almost all of it is about power and control through application of force and violence.

Next you're gonna tell me that Alejandro's literally force his crotch right up into that dudes face he was interrogating wasn't an act of dominance.

Nope, never said that and never will. It's pretty clear in that scene. Linking them being subdued after striking out with the rape scene however (or rather the same meaning), nope.

Batham fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 22, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
It's not Literally About Rape it's more about patriarchal power structures, kate strikes out at matt and is immediately and violently subdued, the subtext is fairly clear. Kate being a woman surrounded by beefhead idiot men is kiiiiiiind of important.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's entertaining that the low-drag high-speed operators are douche-bros, and the casual way the movie is like, "yeah, and they're basically rapists too" is funny enough that it's a shame to have it go over your head, but such is comedy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just don't understand how "let it happen" in the context of holding someone down is not an allusion to rape culture/rapist mindset.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, I suppose it's not if you're either an apologist or a loving moron. Several of those on this page

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Well, I suppose it's not if you're either an apologist or a loving moron. Several of those on this page

:allears: Amazing how people can get worked up about a movie.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Batham posted:

:allears: Amazing how people can get worked up about a movie.

Not at all.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
*ignores the fact it is said to a man*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Judakel posted:

*ignores the fact it is said to a man*

More than one man is sexually menaced in this film by another man.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Correct.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Batham posted:

Nope, never said that and never will. It's pretty clear in that scene. Linking them being subdued after striking out with the rape scene however (or rather the same meaning), nope.
Both scenes feature a man grabbing Kate by the wrists and repeatedly saying "Stop it. Stop it." (as in, stop struggling) It's blatantly similar.

Judakel posted:

Correct.
You never followed up on how the characters are underdeveloped.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

I think you might be retarded?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apparently they are working on a sequel that focuses on Benicio del Toro.

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/sicario-sequel-benicio-del-toro-lionsgate-1201599035/

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just saw this. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time now. I read that the director and Roger Deakins are reuniting for Blade Runner 2 which makes me stupidly excited.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

keyframe posted:

Just saw this. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time now. I read that the director and Roger Deakins are reuniting for Blade Runner 2 which makes me stupidly excited.

Villanueve is also doing Ted Chiang's The Story of Your Life, he might be my favorite director right now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah this was announced awhile back. Actually before the movie even came out in wide release. It's how I knew he was the titular sicario. I'm not super thrilled about it, because I feel like Sicario is a perfectly self-contained film, and I liked the split protagonism between Blunt and del Toro.

But obviously I'm gonna keep an open mind.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Yeah this was announced awhile back. Actually before the movie even came out in wide release. It's how I knew he was the titular sicario. I'm not super thrilled about it, because I feel like Sicario is a perfectly self-contained film, and I liked the split protagonism between Blunt and del Toro.

But obviously I'm gonna keep an open mind.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

VVVVVVVVV BMD has some nice articles here and there

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 25, 2015

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
This article on how the movie uses sexual assault as a key theme certainly rang true with what I recall of it.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/11/18/sicario-and-the-value-of-depicting-rape-in-abstract

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Martman posted:

You never followed up on how the characters are underdeveloped.

I never explained rain either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

I never explained rain either.
If this were a thread about weather and a lot of people disagreed about why rain exists, it would be nice of you to clarify it for them.

• Locked thread