Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Very nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Santa delivers! I just mentioned about the bandai Star Wars models to the family once, and they took the hint and ran with it

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Deanut Pancer posted:

Santa delivers! I just mentioned about the bandai Star Wars models to the family once, and they took the hint and ran with it

Congratulations! I got the X-Wing today. Looks like it'll be fun!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Congrats! The Y-wing will make you hate everything.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Hixson posted:

This post is from the first week of November. I started modelling 2 days ago. Since then I've been working on this dang plane like crazy to get it done in time for christmas.

Overall I'm pleased with it. There are alot of small mistakes and things most people wont notice. But you get to a point when you just need to put the brush down and be done!

I like this very much. It is a good plane. I like your plane.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Congrats! The Y-wing will make you hate everything.

It goes together easy but if you're the kind of person who carefully preps and paints pieces before placing them you'll beg for death before the second sheet of greeble.

I got the an AT-ST and a Robby the Robot. When I unwrapped the latter, my dad commented that Robby comes with a lady. And the lady has boobs. My dad then suggested I add an additional boob, "like the lady in Total Recall."

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

big_g posted:

I like this very much. It is a good plane. I like your plane.
Seconded. Very, very well done.

No modelling supplies for Christmas, although I know my in-laws got me a gift certificate for a hobby shop 10 miles from their house. I think this'll be the 6th year in a row they've done so, so I suppose we have an understanding.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It goes together easy but if you're the kind of person who carefully preps and paints pieces before placing them you'll beg for death before the second sheet of greeble.

I got the an AT-ST and a Robby the Robot. When I unwrapped the latter, my dad commented that Robby comes with a lady. And the lady has boobs. My dad then suggested I add an additional boob, "like the lady in Total Recall."

wanna meet that dad

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Didn't someone post a model of a Y-Wing with all it's cowling or what ever on? Like the Y-wings we see in the movies are basically stripped off all their body panels but hey were supposed to be all sleek like a streamlined steam engine?

Oh here it is

Just a lovely toy though. Would be cool to see a model kit with the cowling optional/removable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

Didn't someone post a model of a Y-Wing with all it's cowling or what ever on? Like the Y-wings we see in the movies are basically stripped off all their body panels but hey were supposed to be all sleek like a streamlined steam engine?

Oh here it is

Just a lovely toy though. Would be cool to see a model kit with the cowling optional/removable.

Yeah, the Y-Wings are all flying cowling-off because they're ancient flying shitboxes in constant need of fixing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The "new" Y-wings are in a few Clone Wars episodes, cowlings fitted, all sleek and shiny

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That would make an interesting model. Very Star Trek-ish. It would be neat to have a progression New>Used>Abused.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have a Lego Clone Wars model that's all cowlings on, it's great. Really cool take on the Y-Wing.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
There's a dude who does really good resin models on Star Wars and Galactica, he has the Clone Wars Y-Wing among them.

http://www.alfredsmind.ca/productspg.html

Pricey as all heck, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone is still interested in the Sotar 20/20 Airbrush, I just learned that Casey Love is selling custom Sotars on his website. Casey is a long time effects guru who specializes in custom monsters and creature F/X, and this a licensed deal with Badger Airbrush. The main difference with his custom Sotar is it has a side-mounted large paint cup. That gives you more paint to work with, and the side mounted cup can go on either side of the airbrush, so it stays out of your eyeline. It also doesn't include a tip-protector/crown-cap, as many artists just find they get in the way, so if you want one of those it'll have to be purchased from Badger. Otherwise all of Badgers existing accessories are compatible with this Sotar.

He has them for $165 shipped in the US.

http://www.caseylovestudio.com/ab_pricing-tables/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My mom bought one of my cousin's kids a couple simple kits for Christmas in my name, so it looks like I'll be taking sometime one of the upcoming weekends to teach him how to build one. He's 7 so that should be fun! The models are both Revell snap-tite, so no glue, but I'll still need to get him snippers and teach him how to use them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kibner posted:

My mom bought one of my cousin's kids a couple simple kits for Christmas in my name, so it looks like I'll be taking sometime one of the upcoming weekends to teach him how to build one. He's 7 so that should be fun! The models are both Revell snap-tite, so no glue, but I'll still need to get him snippers and teach him how to use them.
If you can teach him how to clean up gate marks it'll put him miles ahead of me when I was that age. I have some horrorshow kits hiding in my room that somehow managed to survive since then.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Arquinsiel posted:

If you can teach him how to clean up gate marks it'll put him miles ahead of me when I was that age. I have some horrorshow kits hiding in my room that somehow managed to survive since then.

Yeah, that's the plan. Cut away to separate pieces from the sprue, then cut closer to the part once it is off the sprue to get rid of the rest of the nub. Not going to do anymore than that because it would involve wet sanding/shaving with knives or sandpaper and he's seven years old.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
No Vampire in my local hobby shop, but I did manage to score an Italeri Chaffee plus a resin/PE upgrade kit for a cool 15 bucks, plus a Hussar T-34-85 turret. I think it has more parts in there than the original kit had in the first place...

Edit: oh man, apparently Verlinden makes a ton of upgrades for that Chaffee kit. Maybe I'll buy a few more!

Edit: tried out the silly putty masking method, turned out pretty good I think.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 27, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RIP my choo choo

Salvaged all my turnouts though!

When you use white glue to set your ballast it dries concrete hard but when you add water again it turns into sticky mud and you can peel everything out.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Baronjutter posted:

RIP my choo choo

Salvaged all my turnouts though!

When you use white glue to set your ballast it dries concrete hard but when you add water again it turns into sticky mud and you can peel everything out.
What? Why? This is like a death in the family.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cartoon posted:

What? Why? This is like a death in the family.

Because of a potential life in the family.
I'll be making a new smaller one though. Just 8x3 rather than room-filling. We're going to move our bed into what is currently the train room and make it our bedroom and wife's nice enough to let me have basically half of it for trains.

Got the new one all planned out though

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Congratulations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry to see it go but it's for a good reason!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Picked up a cheap kit at the local hobby shop while I wait for my airbrush and compressor to ship. It was only like 1200 yen (around 10 bucks). I have some much more complex 1/48 Hasegawa stuff in my closet that I am sure I would ruin if I tried to put together. There are no english instructions though. I am not sure if that's how all kits are or just ones in Japanese shops. I am sure I can work things out from diagrams and stuff though.

I think I might just buy the Tamiya colors listed in the instructions and build straight OOB. I can get the 10ml bottles of Tamiya paint for like a dollar a piece.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I got the head to the Ghostkeel done last night.

I've a little snagging list to do then will do final varnish coats and then I'll try to get some better shots in good lighting.

EDIT: Having just seen the pictures posted above I've just added a dark grey pin wash to the metal round the pupil to help define the metal parts. Looks a bit better.

big_g fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 27, 2015

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I got Revell's 1/72 FAMO and a Panzer IV for Christmas (which makes a nice combination) and I was expecting some plastic blobs with awful vinyl tracks, but I was actually pleasantly surprised! Very nice detail, length n single tracks etc. Dug up my old 1/72 toy soldiers while I was at my parents anyway and got some cool mechanics to make a nice little vignette with.

Yesterday was a good day! :d:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Oh my god what have you all done!!!?

You made me do this.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Cartoon posted:

You made me do this.

Good kit that, and the figures arent bad either. Take your time with the indy link tracks though, and do only one side at a time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cartoon posted:

You made me do this.

Coincidentally, I'm working on a Tamiya stug III.

I put most of the kit together ages ago, then got distracted. I've decided to finish it during my Holiday days off. It's a neat kit. Photo etch for the vent covers, and a full crew compartment (but no engine).

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 28, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm working on that Italeri/Verlinden Chaffe and man, these instructions are not great at all. For instance, many parts are not mentioned anywhere in them, figure 9 is entirely gone from the instructions with a big white spot where it should be, and some several parts are very obviously mislabelled. Are all Verlinden instructions that bad?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm working on that Italeri/Verlinden Chaffe and man, these instructions are not great at all. For instance, many parts are not mentioned anywhere in them, figure 9 is entirely gone from the instructions with a big white spot where it should be, and some several parts are very obviously mislabelled. Are all Verlinden instructions that bad?

Yes. Verlinden was a bit of a pioneer in scale modeling years ago, but in todays standards their products aren't very good imo. Crap instructions, loads of fitting and accuracy issues (like pretty much ALL their 1/35 figures are 1/32 at least, and their interior sets tend not to fit at all) and I find their PE very thick and hard to bend. That said, they are often quite a bit cheaper than other companies and their range of figures is pretty huge with interesting poses.

One of my first 1/35 figures when I was a kid was a Verlinden figure that I got from Francois Verlinden himself. He was an acquaintance of my dad and used to come to our house every now and again before he moved to the US. Very nice and humble man. I went to his store/workshop once with my dad when I was about 5, and that was one of the reasons I got interested in the hobby in the first place.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Well I guess I'm glad I didn't get any of the other sets they have for the Chaffee then. I had my eye on the interior and stowage kits.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hey there thread, long time no see.

I've spent god-knows how many hours over the last few days putting a wooden deck on the Tirpitz the most painful way possible..

I needed to share as it's driving me mad. I didn't even take the deck hardware off first :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sanguine posted:

I've spent god-knows how many hours over the last few days putting a wooden deck on the Tirpitz the most painful way possible..

I needed to share as it's driving me mad. I didn't even take the deck hardware off first :smith:

"Ahh-CHOoo!"

Sorry, It's all I could think of from reading that. It looks really nice.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sanguine posted:

:stare:

Not sure I've ever seen anyone do a wooden deck on a ship that scale, using individual planks. Should be very nice when done though!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sanguine posted:

What happened to "I'm not doing any photo etch or panelled deck?"

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Sanguine posted:

You are loving mental.

In an awesome way, I bet that will look gorgeous when you are finished in half a year!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The tutorial with my cousin's son went successfully. No cutting himself on his first time using snipers, only one part was cut too far in (and it wasn't essential), and all parts fit securely.

It was a Revell tank of some kind; don't remember which. The instructions were not up to my Bandai expectations, unfortunately. It had us mount the cannon upside down and try to attach some parts to the back of the turret before attaching the parts needed to hold it in place.

Kid had fun and wants to build another, so I gave the mom some links and brand names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Was it one of the old 1:32 Revell kits? I have their Sherman and Lee, they are excellent beginner kits.