Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

Poirier at lightweight looks way better than his featherweight self

Yep

quote:

and is much less hittable now imo.

Nope

I think Porier's cardio and chin have looked much better at 155 but he's still basically the same fighter, which is to say he's very gifted offensively but still extremely hittable and takedowneable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bubba Smith posted:

And yet don't most players in the NFL prefer to get hit in the head as opposed to getting their knees/ankles torn in half? I assume it's because if you suffer an ACL tear in the NFL you're done for the season and that can cause all sorts of problems: the team moving on from you, losing out on major money, the season going down in flames if you're an important player, etc. Meanwhile concussion protocol usually only takes you out for a few games, if that. At least fighters who have good relationships with Silva/Shelby can take years if needed to recover from an injury or a concussion.

As FDog(g) mentioned yeah, sacrifice all of your long term health for the here and now.

Or you can be a terrible dummy like good ol' Dogg and ruin all of your joints and muscles AND get a buncha concussions.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
i wonder how Tito is going to be in like 30 years other than probs dead

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I realize that we romanticize fighters a lot, and put dramatic narratives on guys who are really just trying to feed their families, but

Robbie Lawler posted:

The harder part of my life is NOT in the cage, NOT training.... Everyday life is harder for me, it's, it's, fighting's who I am, and I feel like that's the easiest part of my life.

That's his own words, per UFC 195 Countdown. Robbie Lawler was born to punch dudes in the face.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Nobody has given me proof that Robbie Lawler isn't a terminator sent back in time to punch people in the face

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

Yep

Nope

I think Porier's cardio and chin have looked much better at 155 but he's still basically the same fighter, which is to say he's very gifted offensively but still extremely hittable and takedowneable.

despite fighting only for a little over five minutes at lw, i thought he showed improvement. but neither of his opponents are as offensively sound as duffy, so i guess this is the litmus test for my assertions. we'll see.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

despite fighting only for a little over five minutes at lw, i thought he showed improvement. but neither of his opponents are as offensively sound as duffy, so i guess this is the litmus test for my assertions. we'll see.

He certainly might turn out to be better, but I definitely wouldn't say that his fights at 155 have demonstrated it so far. They both showed him being richly hittable but overwhelming his opponents with his offense.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

I realize that we romanticize fighters a lot, and put dramatic narratives on guys who are really just trying to feed their families, but
That's his own words, per UFC 195 Countdown. Robbie Lawler was born to punch dudes in the face.
I hope Robbie Lawler sticks to what he said in that last countdown video and will know when it's time to give it up, I don't want him to slowly drag out his retirement years from now like Chuck and other guys who love to fight and stuck around a bit too long because of it.

Side note I love how years after retiring Chuck Liddell doesn't give Jon Jones much respect. That poo poo is cool to me.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

Side note I love how years after retiring Chuck Liddell doesn't give Jon Jones much respect. That poo poo is cool to me.

Chuck on Conor is also cool. "I don't like how much he talks, but he knocks people out, so whatever."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bubba Smith posted:

And yet don't most players in the NFL prefer to get hit in the head as opposed to getting their knees/ankles torn in half? I assume it's because if you suffer an ACL tear in the NFL you're done for the season and that can cause all sorts of problems: the team moving on from you, losing out on major money, the season going down in flames if you're an important player, etc. Meanwhile concussion protocol usually only takes you out for a few games, if that. At least fighters who have good relationships with Silva/Shelby can take years if needed to recover from an injury or a concussion.

Things along those lines have been said by a lot of NFL players. I even recall some of them lamenting that it was harder to hide a concussion now with outside doctors monitoring the game and that it was taking a chance for them to make money away. Plus you still have the very real mentality that a real player plays through things like concussions for his team and if he doesn't he is soft. There were a few incidents where coaches left clearly concussed players in the game. I want to say the most recent one was the QB for the Rams. The guy looked bad getting up the backup QB started warming up on his own.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Trast posted:

a real player plays through things like concussions for his team and if he doesn't he is soft.

Yeah that's an aspect I hadn't thought of but contributes a ton: since MMA is an individual sport you don't have pressure from your teammates to rush back from injury or concussion. I mean maybe the hosed up gyms in the world do, but I don't think Rockhold is calling Khabib a pussy because he pulled out of another fight or Pederneiras telling Aldo and Barao the team really needs them to get over that head trauma they had recently and step up.

Ronda is just in an unfortunate circumstance where the biggest PPV of the year, and possibly the biggest PPV ever, is scheduled to happen just 8 months after her KO loss. If the card wasn't happening so soon I think there would be less pressure for her to make such a quick turnaround. That's a ton of money for everyone to pass up.

I guess my point is MMA culture seems to have a much healthier approach to guys taking the time they need to recover from knock outs and injuries compared to NFL. Fans are understanding (until you pull out of a match for the 10th time like Pettis), promoters are usually supportive, and there's rarely an issue within the camp.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trast posted:

Things along those lines have been said by a lot of NFL players. I even recall some of them lamenting that it was harder to hide a concussion now with outside doctors monitoring the game and that it was taking a chance for them to make money away. Plus you still have the very real mentality that a real player plays through things like concussions for his team and if he doesn't he is soft. There were a few incidents where coaches left clearly concussed players in the game. I want to say the most recent one was the QB for the Rams. The guy looked bad getting up the backup QB started warming up on his own.

Guy fell on the ground, whacked his head, and the visibly wobbled standing up.

Luckily, I'm pretty sure it was like with 1 minute to go in the game but it was still pretty messed up.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Jose Aldo is a coward tho imo

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think Rockhold is calling Khabib a pussy because he pulled out of another fight

You might not have a strong understanding of AKA

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
After seeing the tatts a few times in the vlog episodes, figured I'd mention it here.
Robbie's tatts on his right arm:
pre:
刑
激
are characters for
Punishment (though really more in the legal sense, and not the metaphorical I'm doing damage to you sense)
and
Violent/Fierce

I'd guess they're not meant to be read together, and going by the styles, were done separately:

The one on his back
pre:
also means violent/fierce/ferocious. Not the closest translation for Ruthless, but I assume that's what he was going for. As far as capturing what Robbies does in the cage, I would say that's a spot-on choice.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Jose Aldo is a coward tho imo

He's still my boy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molgWartXyk&hd=1

tl;dnr - Robbie Lawler decided he wanted to be a fighter when he was seven.

I don't want either of these two to lose.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Trast posted:

The incentive is to keep playing no matter what, because a lot of their pay is tied in to playing time, too. I saw an article on a player (Odell Beckham?) getting suspended for one game, it was costing him $53k.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

red19fire posted:

The incentive is to keep playing no matter what, because a lot of their pay is tied in to playing time, too. I saw an article on a player (Odell Beckham?) getting suspended for one game, it was costing him $53k.

In ODJ's case he was suspended for his own massive stupidity. He took a cheap shot at another player by lunging at him helmet first in a way that could have very well caused a concussion. There is a sad bit of irony in that in regards to our conversation.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
it was on the last page but it's funny that people think Aerts is fine just because he's been completely unintelligible for his entire adult life, his brain is completely hosed and he relies on his wife to remember everything for him

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It was cool right before Dos Anjos Vs Cerrone 2 when Brian Stann was like, "Yeah, I spent this whole week thinking Rafael Dos Anjos was going to win, but then I heard a sad story about Cerrone's grandmother, so Cowboy will win for sure."

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it was on the last page but it's funny that people think Aerts is fine just because he's been completely unintelligible for his entire adult life, his brain is completely hosed and he relies on his wife to remember everything for him

a 400lb man fell on him today several times

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I got that email too. I just went to re-sign up and it says the code is invalid. Maybe it's expired now? Augh, dangit.

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Augh, dangit.

Best quote of all mma history, 10/10 will watch roidtech again.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BT Sport are doing a countdown of the 10 best fights of the year. They're English though so Bisping/Dolloway made it on. However the rest are very cool and they have neat highlight videos up for each one, here is a link to Arlovski/Browne. I forgot how amazing it was.

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/682543489435828224

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Poirier vs TKZ is a fun fight worth watching anytime imo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

BT Sport are doing a countdown of the 10 best fights of the year. They're English though so Bisping/Dolloway made it on. However the rest are very cool and they have neat highlight videos up for each one, here is a link to Arlovski/Browne. I forgot how amazing it was.

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/682543489435828224

BT Sport's Twitter Feed posted:

THIS CONTENT IS NOT AVAILABLE IN UR COUNTRY, oval office

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Robbie Lawler posted:

"Here's the thing, when you're in there, you're just focused on what you need to focus on," Lawler said. "If you're focused on how epic this is and, like, it's some sort of movie -- that's not what it is. It's, you're bleeding? I don't have time to bleed. I need to stay sharp. Like, have you seen Predator? ‘You're bleeding.' ‘I don't have time to bleed.'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12/31/10675574/robbie-lawler-reflects-on-legendary-fight-with-rory-macdonald-the

Not surprised that "The Predator" is Robbie's gameplan.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Everyone please stop acting like Robbie Lawler doesn't suck.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Yeah I was kind of like "Aerts was always like that" but I think I was ignoring the fact that /to us/ he's always been like that because he's been fighting professionally since I was in 1st grade

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Catching up on the Embedded videos. Looks like Carlos makes a better steak than Bigg Rigg.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I didn't realize Carlos had such a deep voice. Somehow that's the thing that stuck out most to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I didn't realize Carlos had such a deep voice. Somehow that's the thing that stuck out most to me.

He's incredibly sexy.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

https://vine.co/v/e9FzlaQKh5J

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Metal as gently caress. :black101:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
In case y'all forgot how beastly Poirier is looking at 155. Duffy/Poirier going to be good.

https://streamable.com/6hom

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I always forget that Lawler's lip was ripped the gently caress up during that fight. So gross.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I always forget that Lawler's lip was ripped the gently caress up during that fight. So gross.

That's part of the reason it's so funny he yelled "I feel loving great" at the post-fight doctor

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

fatherdog posted:

My uncle was supposedly a stud wrestler at Bettendorf High a few years older than Miletich, although I don't really know anything about it beyond he had a career-ending knee injury and never did anything athletically after he graduated HS. He's not really a fan of MMA but he kept up with Miletich off and on and met some of his guys over the years. Last time I saw him I asked about it and he mentioned he'd met Robbie, I think because I asked not long after the MacDonald fight and he might have seen some news about it. He said that Robbie had "nothing going on upstairs" except he was obsessed with fighting and freakishly good at everything to do with it, which made him a very scary person.

That's my second-hand Robbie Lawler anecdote.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Not sure if this is new news or not, but Mousasi just posted that it's him v Leites on the feb 27 fight pass card.

• Locked thread