Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
that is an awesome skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Came home last night to very excited birbs. There was millet husks everywhere. They got spoiled while we were gone apparently.

Ozzy had a shower today and I actually managed to take a video of part of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPco_3Z8feE

Don't mind Nugget's excited peeping in the background. She's very suspicious of the sink.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Sooooooooooooo we kinda bought another bird. Albert doesn't know yet.

Meet Martha, the Yellow-Sided GCC.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Grraarrgghh posted:

Adorable!!! How old is she? How are you going to go about introducing? I may be overly partial cause I have a yellow-sided GCC myself :love:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Grraarrgghh posted:

aaaaa she's so cuuuute

e: Martha's going to turn out to be a boy and you'll have two birds with gender-defying names.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 31, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

Grraarrgghh posted:

That coloring :kimchi:

1500 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 31, 2015

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Shirec posted:

Adorable!!! How old is she? How are you going to go about introducing? I may be overly partial cause I have a yellow-sided GCC myself :love:

She/he's ~10 months. I'm not big on petstore birds but this one has been at the same place since August, always friendly and clownish, bobs constantly, and is surprisingly hand tame and quiet for a store bird.

We're keeping them in adjacent rooms for a few days so they can croak and whistle at each other, but I'll probably introduce them and re-arrange the bird room before work on Monday.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

aaaaa she's so cuuuute

e: Martha's going to turn out to be a boy and you'll have two birds with gender-defying names.

That's pretty much our expectation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How's everyone's birds handling new year's fireworks?

Pion seems to be doing okay. He's obviously wary, but hasn't had any panic attacks or similar. Much better than I had feared.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wonder if mine care, or if they can even hear any. Currently have a very unhappy border collie wrapped up in a rug cuddled next to me though :3: / :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Have had to go upstairs and away from good wifi reception and sit in the dark because the usual suspect (loki) started to freak out, he's calmed down now I'm in the room which is a step forward for us in our still hostile relationship.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yay you're back :3: you make the happiest posts in the thread so you aren't allowed to leave for too long okay
Aww jeez :3: Thanks! I was off for the holidays doing things and now Judah is mad at me for leaving and the cat is codependent and ALL THINGS ARE NORMAL.

Potato Salad posted:

loving marry your bf.
Word.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Oh man what a pretty girl

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
unedited, and I was only sitting there doing the focusing for the second half, but here, have a 6 minute video of Alexis (QUIETLY!!) taking a bath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TZy98gC1c

yeah, I should get her a shallower bowl, but this is kinda hilarious (she takes showers with me regularly, this is more a playtime bath than anything, so I'm not too worried about that she's not able to get her back wet)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 1, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

How's everyone's birds handling new year's fireworks?

Pion seems to be doing okay. He's obviously wary, but hasn't had any panic attacks or similar. Much better than I had feared.

I'm visiting my mum and dad over the holidays and all the local fireworks are being held out at the dam, about 20-30k out of town, rather than at the showgrounds. No personal fireworks in town because of QLD's firework restrictions, so all the local birds and dogs are happy. The galahs and other parrots out at the dam got a big fright though. Toast got to have a comfy snooze all night and our nervous dog didn't get spooked.

Toast is loving being out here, lots of galahs, sulphur crested cockies, migrating big black cockies, and smaller fruit-eating parrots to squeak at. My dad is very happy having another bird to dote on. My mum thinks he's very cute when he's not trying to give her a friendly bite on the nose/lips/ears. My Nanna and Grandad (dad's side of the family) think he's very cute but he's not allowed out of the cage much when they're over because 1) Grandad has a habit of leaving doors open and 2) Nanna is recovering from surgery on her finger, which makes it look extra tasty to small bitey birds.

Nov 3, 2015

Battle Pigeon posted:

I wonder if mine care, or if they can even hear any. Currently have a very unhappy border collie wrapped up in a rug cuddled next to me though :3: / :(

Ya my border collie hates fireworks, and thunder for that matter.

Pan and Hermes have never had a problem. This is actually the first time, I have had Bonny for the new years, but new years is not a very heavy firework day. It does make me wonder how she will do come the 4th of July though.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop doesn't react to loud noises, really. So thunder, loud music (well, she likes peeping along to that) and fireworks have no effect. Not that we had any go off close by anyway.

We did have a new years party and I took the opportunity to get her a bit more used to her harness and show her off outside. Took her about half an hour to get over the fact she had a harness on, but once she'd gotten used to it and had a bunch of people to hang out with, she only nibbled at it when it got in her way climbing up shirts.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm too far away from civilization to hear anything but far-off dogs barking, but I feel like if Judah WAS around fireworks, he would probably be less scared and more just egregiously offended at something other than him daring to be loud.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Kenshin posted:

unedited, and I was only sitting there doing the focusing for the second half, but here, have a 6 minute video of Alexis (QUIETLY!!) taking a bath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TZy98gC1c

yeah, I should get her a shallower bowl, but this is kinda hilarious (she takes showers with me regularly, this is more a playtime bath than anything, so I'm not too worried about that she's not able to get her back wet)

Maestro kind of bathes like that. Only, he doesn't really flop in the water, he just kind of flicks it onto his chest.

I feel kind of bad, because he had an itty-bitty bowl to bathe in the majority of his life, so I'm not sure if he even knows that flopping around in the bigger bowl like an idiot is acceptable. The other birds always look like they're having so much fun. I hope he's not missing out and actually just wants to not flop around and get water everywhere.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Shy will completely ignore any bathing bowl to go sit in her water bowl and give little dignified slight flips of her wings. Birds are weird.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
There's four ravens way out back of our place, taking turns flying in big loops. It's been going on for a while, and Goldy is VERY upset over it. Crying and running around. I went over to save him, because at first I thought the commotion was over the big evil ladybug on the ceiling, then while consoling him saw the ravens.

They are too far off to get a good pic or video, which sucks, since they are clearly having a high old time in the fresh snow and light breeze.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Was sent this flattering photo

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

happy birdiversary to this suddenly camera-shy little idiot :3:

six years of being my very tiny bff.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco loves showers, if you take him in the shower with you he will spread out his wings and mash his face into you, close his eyes and just sit there forever with the water falling on him. Or we just cup our hands under a running tap, and he hops under that and splashes about and gets completely soaked.

Water dishes confuse him somewhat. It was really loving hot one summer so we retreated to the only room with aircon, took Taco in with us and gave him a bowl of water to splash about in and cool off in. He just kinda stared at it all day rather than hopping in:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

Taco loves showers, if you take him in the shower with you he will spread out his wings and mash his face into you, close his eyes and just sit there forever with the water falling on him. Or we just cup our hands under a running tap, and he hops under that and splashes about and gets completely soaked.

Water dishes confuse him somewhat. It was really loving hot one summer so we retreated to the only room with aircon, took Taco in with us and gave him a bowl of water to splash about in and cool off in. He just kinda stared at it all day rather than hopping in:

theres a second bird inside it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So my GCC has been continuing to pluck his outer chest feather, much to my and my vet's chagrin. We have tried a lot of things, and even flirted with bird ritalin.

This week I had to take him to a bird boarding service at a specialty store near here. Essentially he was in a medium sized cage with his hanging bed, his normal toys and food and millet. They didn't let him out to fly around or directly really play with him, it was just a few days in a place with a bunch of different birds in similar cages (in a clean place and reputable, this wasn't a bird hostel like I am making it sound)

The little poo poo came back with the healthiest sprouts of chest feathers that I have seen in a year. No direct human contact or playing or new toys, just a bunch of other birds to scream at and he is golden. But now he is back home and he is back to his old tricks, despite me trying to play with him all day.

Could it be that he just really wants the company of other birds and not people? I am kind of at a loss, I thought human bonded birds were supposed to shy away from new birds but he apparently had the time of his life.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Could it be that he just really wants the company of other birds and not people? I am kind of at a loss, I thought human bonded birds were supposed to shy away from new birds but he apparently had the time of his life.

All of our hand-raised GCCs have been fairly welcoming of new birds. Now, I know this isn't necessarily normally the case with hand-raised GCCs, but this was our experience with our birds.

Simon was our first. When we got Gunter, he was a little wary (as were we) but then he ended up feeding her when she wouldn't eat for a week after we got her. They are now best buddies.

When we got Pazuzu, the first thing Simon did when we introduced them from across the living room floor was to run over and immediately try to feed him. Gunter was a little more skittish of him, but they were grooming each other within a couple days. All 3 of them are now best buddies.

Maestro is taking a little more time to get integrated into the flock, but I think that may have to do with his size (he is a Jenday, and slightly bigger than the other 3) and his preference for sitting with me, as opposed to on jade, whom all the other birds tend to sit on.

That being said, they do accept him as one of the flock. Gunter flew at me and bit my ear after he got spooked the one time (I guess she blamed me) and today Maestro played with Simon's tail (then Simon slowly turned, crawled down my hand, and then bit my arm a little ways down from where Maestro was standing; I guess he blamed me...).

tL:dr
Birds are different and weird, and sometimes like new birds. Also, they tend to blame me for everything and then bite me.

Here is a picture of the green-cheeks all on jade's hand to make up for all the :words::

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

schnickety scribe posted:

All of our hand-raised GCCs have been fairly welcoming of new birds. Now, I know this isn't necessarily normally the case with hand-raised GCCs, but this was our experience with our birds.

Simon was our first. When we got Gunter, he was a little wary (as were we) but then he ended up feeding her when she wouldn't eat for a week after we got her. They are now best buddies.

When we got Pazuzu, the first thing Simon did when we introduced them from across the living room floor was to run over and immediately try to feed him. Gunter was a little more skittish of him, but they were grooming each other within a couple days. All 3 of them are now best buddies.

Maestro is taking a little more time to get integrated into the flock, but I think that may have to do with his size (he is a Jenday, and slightly bigger than the other 3) and his preference for sitting with me, as opposed to on jade, whom all the other birds tend to sit on.

That being said, they do accept him as one of the flock. Gunter flew at me and bit my ear after he got spooked the one time (I guess she blamed me) and today Maestro played with Simon's tail (then Simon slowly turned, crawled down my hand, and then bit my arm a little ways down from where Maestro was standing; I guess he blamed me...).

tL:dr
Birds are different and weird, and sometimes like new birds. Also, they tend to blame me for everything and then bite me.

Here is a picture of the green-cheeks all on jade's hand to make up for all the :words::

You and Jade have such an awesome flock :swoon: Would you mind detailing how you are introducing Maestro to your GCCs? I have been going very slow with my GCC and Nanday relations, and I'm having the same problem you are. Kiwi would rather jump up on my shoulder than investigate, while Sammy seems interested.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Shirec posted:

You and Jade have such an awesome flock :swoon: Would you mind detailing how you are introducing Maestro to your GCCs? I have been going very slow with my GCC and Nanday relations, and I'm having the same problem you are. Kiwi would rather jump up on my shoulder than investigate, while Sammy seems interested.
Aw, thanks. :)

Well, when we first got Maestro (as a foster-to-adopt situation) we'd been told that he was cage territorial and possibly people territorial, so we were somewhat wary of initial introductions. (Luckily it turns out that he actually isn't very territorial at all, which is very very good!)

What we did first was set up Maestro's cage so it was next to the cage the 3 GCCs share (their cage is, of course, a big cage, and they protest very loudly if separated; they sleep in a pile of adorable birdie :3:). That way they could talk to each other without being able to physically interact.

We let him interact with us a lot first to see how he was. Since all he wanted to do was hang out with me, and because he was VERY easy to handle (he has yet to bite either of us very hard), we decided to do our traditional "okay everyone is on the floor" style introduction, with jade on one side of the living room with a bird and me on the other side with Maestro. This pretty much just resulted in Maestro flying onto my head to get away from Simon, who wanted to see what the new, orange bird was, and Gunter and Zuz just didn't really care.

That was the initial, official "introduction."

As for what we've been doing...well, I guess we just are letting things flow naturally. We have them out together all the time. If Maestro lands on the GCC cage and Gunter is on there, she'll go after him (this is a recent development, and one we're trying to fix) and he'll fly back to me or the armchair. Sometimes they'll all get spooked--normally because one of them makes an unexpected sound--and they might end up on the same perch, but then they'll go their separate ways.

Simon seems the most interested in Maestro and will actually sometimes come over to check him out. Sometimes Gunter will sit on the armchair with him--each on opposite sides, and if she gets too close he'll fly to me.

I guess, what I'm trying to say with my rambling, is that we're not using any particular technique or really trying to force the issue, since they're not trying to kill each other. Probably the only time there's any amount of direct socialization for them is in the shower, since the bathroom is a smaller space and they move around more and end up on the same perches more often. Then they'll just switch perches if they're uncomfortable with each other. They're all really chill about the whole thing.

I don't know. Maybe our birds are just weird or there's some magical zen ghost in the apartment that makes birds just okay with other birds.

Sorry if this doesn't help. Since the initial introduction went smoothly, we've just kind of let them go at their own pace.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
To build upon what Scribe said, our main introduction between any new bird, and our existing birds is we have the new bird on the floor between us, then we place one of our existing birds(with the others caged) on the floor between us and keep saying "be nice" over and over. Then we nervously watch them interact. With Simon and Gunter's introduction, Simon immediately decided that Gunter needed to eat, so he started feeding her. With the introduction of Pazuzu, Simon immediately began grooming Pazuzu(after trying to feed him as Simon tends to do. This freaked out scribe since it isn't a "here, let me feed you" action, but more of a "You need to eat, NOW! Give me your beak!" action), and then when Gunter was added, it resulted in Pazuzu chasing Gunter around trying to groom/feed her.

Our Maestro introduction was a bit more unnerving for us, as we were told he was cage territorial(he isn't at all, in fact he is quite the opposite). Of course, as Scribe said, that one went oddly because none of the birds seemed to care about the existence of the new bird other than "Oh, a new bird. That's nice. I see he has food in his cage, let me go eat that." Initially Pazuzu ended up being a bit territorial towards him during the second week(mainly waddle-charging Maestro, which would result in Maestro flying away) but that seems to have gone away. (They were even both on my same hand today!) Gunter either is fine with him, curious about him and will walk towards him until he flies, or she decides that he is a threat to my existence and she walks towards him until he flies with her beak open. (Gunter is sworn to protect me apparently, so she will sometimes get bitey towards things that she perceives as threatening me)

Ugh, I use a lot of parenthesis when I am tired. I apologize.

In other birdy news, Gunter now tells me she loves me whenever I put her to bed, and she gives me a kiss as well. :3

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 2, 2016

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

There are a few birbs in this thread that I really want to visit. I think Ama is #1, Tori and Steve (and Inko) are #2, and #3 is hard but Hannah or Pearl might make the cut just because I want to hang out with a bird that is actually a real, practically sentient person. jade's flock and Taco are contenders but so many conures are on the list ready, so maybe I'd detour to Toast for bonus birb instead.

Basically I want to meet every bird in this thread

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eejit posted:

There are a few birbs in this thread that I really want to visit. I think Ama is #1, Tori and Steve (and Inko) are #2, and #3 is hard but Hannah or Pearl might make the cut just because I want to hang out with a bird that is actually a real, practically sentient person. jade's flock and Taco are contenders but so many conures are on the list ready, so maybe I'd detour to Toast for bonus birb instead.

Basically I want to meet every bird in this thread

My #1 Bird I Want To Hug is probably your giant fluffy cloudbird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I really want to hang out with a Grey for a day or so to see if it would be a relationship I want/am able to accommodate.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

What I am saying is that the Grey would have to be a huge Star Wars fan as well.

Aug 24, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So my GCC has been continuing to pluck his outer chest feather, much to my and my vet's chagrin. We have tried a lot of things, and even flirted with bird ritalin.

This week I had to take him to a bird boarding service at a specialty store near here. Essentially he was in a medium sized cage with his hanging bed, his normal toys and food and millet. They didn't let him out to fly around or directly really play with him, it was just a few days in a place with a bunch of different birds in similar cages (in a clean place and reputable, this wasn't a bird hostel like I am making it sound)

The little poo poo came back with the healthiest sprouts of chest feathers that I have seen in a year. No direct human contact or playing or new toys, just a bunch of other birds to scream at and he is golden. But now he is back home and he is back to his old tricks, despite me trying to play with him all day.

i do not own a bird but the wild ones that hang out with lots of other birds seem to keep their feathers much neater than some of the tame ones. maybe they learn from the other birds how to keep their feathers right?

i saw a really dirty magpie when i was walking home today but it was in a carpark and therefore white/black trash (doesnt count)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mikerock posted:

What I am saying is that the Grey would have to be a huge Star Wars fan as well.

My grey goes loving nuts when R2D2 makes his beeps and poo poo. He also can do some of the blaster noises. Those movies have a lot of sounds and poo poo going on that I think birds love.

My grey is pretty good about dealing with new humans. He's always been around people so that probably helps. We've had different people baby sit him over the years so maybe that's part of it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We're moving into a townhouse we bought in the spring and would potentially have the space for a new bird. I like birds a lot and want to fill all the spaces with birds. However, my wife, who is acting as the voice of reason in this matter, is saying that we can't have more birds because Scout, our actual child (who is a bird) takes up all of our time and space already.

Our vet (Night Owl Bird Hospital in Vancouver) is always boarding Greys and they are a delight to interact with. For a higher responsibility parrot they seem to be a great combination of medium/large size, intelligence, temperament. If we did get a Grey I would go the rescue/adoption route.

My wife has said that she would prefer a cockatiel as a second bird as that is what she grew up with but I would like to move up the bird ladder!

mikerock fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 2, 2016

Aug 24, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

My grey goes loving nuts when R2D2 makes his beeps and poo poo. He also can do some of the blaster noises. Those movies have a lot of sounds and poo poo going on that I think birds love.

My grey is pretty good about dealing with new humans. He's always been around people so that probably helps. We've had different people baby sit him over the years so maybe that's part of it.

grey, grey, white, grey, black, grey, then suddenly red butt

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

grey, grey, white, grey, black, grey, then suddenly red butt
Business in the front, party in the back

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So have any of you had experience introducing a new dog into your home? We're on the brink of adopting a 1-2 year old rescued pug/jack russell bitch; apparently she was not actively abused, mostly neglected because she was used as part of some lovely puppy-farming set-up. I've met her once and she seems very gentle but very nervous and shy. The fosterer says she's very good with other dogs and also with cats.

I've been doing a bit of reading up on the practicalities of adding an adult dog into a home with a parrot and I'm freaking out a bit - Pookie got on fine with our old dog Daisy, but they grew up together; I'm worrying that either she'll dislike the new dog and try to bite her (not a good outcome for Pookie) or the new dog might see Pookie as prey.

All advice welcomed!

(Edit: just heard dog is ready to be collected today - AAAAAAAH!)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

We fostered staffys while having a bird, and it generally went ok, but staffys dont have huge a big prey drive as terriers, so be careful.

Dogs are generally intelligent, and will pick up that birb is not for eating, but obviously never leave them alone in a room together. You need to come down hard on any sort of interest that the dog shows in the birb, and reward the poo poo out of behaviour you want to encourage, such as lying down and not doing anything when the birb is out and about.

I cant recommend clicker training enough, for both your dog and birb. It really does work well.

Pookah (from memory) is a fair bit bigger than the lorikeet I had, so that will probably help.