Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The director is pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

a kitten posted:

The director is pumped.

i don't understand, there isn't a leg coming out of the instrument?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

a kitten posted:

The director is pumped.

:3: That's amazing!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

a kitten posted:

The director is pumped.

Literally me right now

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

a kitten posted:

The director is pumped.

same

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't find a version that's not this weird auto-play site but whatever.

http://hypetrain.moe/kumirei/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hah! Gayyyyyy!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The OVA was good. I'm glad they validated my Tuba Code of Conduct joke in the OP :v:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

The OVA was good. I'm glad they validated my Tuba Code of Conduct joke in the OP :v:

Brass players do weird things like carry stuff for each other. Never understood that.

Disclaimer: I am a brass player (specifically a tuba)

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 31, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Brass players do weird things like carry stuff for each other. Never understood that.

Disclaimer: I am a brass player (specifically a tuba)

I don't think brass players are true friends until they stick their mouthpiece into each others' instruments and play/try playing.

If they wanted to drive home the whole "fellowship over romance" thing they would have done this, and it would have been way more awesome than seeing the anim girls kiss.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

I don't think brass players are true friends until they stick their mouthpiece into each others' instruments and play/try playing.

If they wanted to drive home the whole "fellowship over romance" thing they would have done this, and it would have been way more awesome than seeing the anim girls kiss.

I wonder if that would have meant the same thing to non-band people as it does to us with instruments.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I can still appreciate a friend putting her mouthpiece on my instrument.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hungryjack posted:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hungryjack posted:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

It took me longer than I care to admit that this meant something other than the literal interpretation.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It took me longer than I care to admit that this meant something other than the literal interpretation.

Yeah, it completely went over my head

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

littleorv posted:

Yeah, it completely went over my head

Same, with your statement too

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Finally got around to watching the OVA. It's good, but not great. I don't like the Kumiko-Shuuichi shipping that her friends do. Natsuki was super cute.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Felt the ova was a boring waste of time retread.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

.Clash posted:

Felt the ova was a boring waste of time retread.

Yea, gently caress that boring... non linear storytelling, nuance, and side character development!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What, no Kumiko banging Reina so far? Won't even watch that garbage.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea, gently caress that boring... non linear storytelling, nuance, and side character development!

All of which is fine. But there was nothing here we didn't already know.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I finally got around to watching this after seeing it pop up on so many AOTY lists.

I love those moments in KyoAni shows where you get flickers that reveal a character's depth. And they sometimes literally are flickers - quick edits that show an expression easily missed, or something said under the breath as a character walks out of the room. Satoshi in Hyouka became such an interesting character by the end of that show because of the insecurities and jealousy he expressed in little asides.

Amagi Brilliant Park largely lacked that character depth, so I'm glad to see Hibike! Euphonium is full of it. With best girl Asuka especially.

That said, KyoAni, do the right thing. Reina and Kumiko's relationship is more romantic than any explicitly romantic relationship in anime this year. The visual language of this show is saying they are falling in love. But that probably won't become an actual thing.

The show is still great regardless. Really good voice acting, and that's not something that normally jumps out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Happy new years Euphonium thread.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched all the specials. only 3 (boys side) and 4 (midori time) are good imo

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Hocus Pocus posted:

I finally got around to watching this after seeing it pop up on so many AOTY lists.

I love those moments in KyoAni shows where you get flickers that reveal a character's depth. And they sometimes literally are flickers - quick edits that show an expression easily missed, or something said under the breath as a character walks out of the room. Satoshi in Hyouka became such an interesting character by the end of that show because of the insecurities and jealousy he expressed in little asides.

Amagi Brilliant Park largely lacked that character depth, so I'm glad to see Hibike! Euphonium is full of it. With best girl Asuka especially.

That said, KyoAni, do the right thing. Reina and Kumiko's relationship is more romantic than any explicitly romantic relationship in anime this year. The visual language of this show is saying they are falling in love. But that probably won't become an actual thing.

The show is still great regardless. Really good voice acting, and that's not something that normally jumps out.

Glad to be of service :tipshat:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Full trailer for the recap movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ALVld2Z4zk

Really selling the drama aspect of it.

If you preorder tickets you can get neat posters!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Season 2 starts airing in October!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Good. Very good.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Hargrimm posted:

Season 2 starts airing in October!

Hell yes!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good but also I'm worried

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Good but also I'm worried

They WILL kiss! Don't worry!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

New season is news as sweet as a melody.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

They WILL kiss! Don't worry!
I've had my hopes broken too many times to believe that. :smith:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMwpzKVDIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPIdtoz-TgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_2zHxEIQVY

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 23, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7woeCuOrK8

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
There was an interview with the series director where she very frankly rebuffed the idea that there's anything romantic between Kumiko and Reina here

Interview posted:

Oguro: After episode 8 huh? It’s not yuri, but they’re tied together with a red string so…
Yamada: So they’re tied. (laughs)
Oguro: When you drew them, you felt they’d understand as the story progressed.
Yamada: Of course. Since it’s something you don’t see in the first half, it might appear to be something suggestive in the ending with no real meaning.
Oguro: Did you possibly think that it could be seen as yuri and playing to the viewers with no relationship to the main story?
Yamada: I thought it might, but I felt “Well, that’s okay. They’ll understand later.” (laughs)

They won't kiss

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

They won't kiss

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU