Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Can't GRRM just get a fan to finish the story, put his name on it, and secretly name the author the winner of some sweepstakes?

It's not like it would be any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The mythical sixth book has been set up to have a poo poo load of pay-off (including the end of the fifth book, for gently caress's sake) so if it's a big giant tome of more water treading, just watch the show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What is the difference between them? If I'm using livejournal, what's the pitch for me to switch over? the word "livejournal" in the url? this is where the old person part comes in - he probably does not care about the word "livejournal" in his url.

with word press you can make it look like an actual website.

kcroy posted:

I'm glad his fan base has taken the time to enable his lovely behavior and pat him on the head for not writing

it ruled going to that gawker article and reading the comments cuz so many people were cheerleading the (lovely) gaiman defense whenever someone said it was crappy to buy into a series and have the author not finish in an even close to timely manner.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Let's see if it's just me:

quote:

My publishers and I have been cognizant of these concerns, of course. We discussed some of them last spring, as the fifth season of the HBO series was winding down, and came up with a plan. We all wanted book six of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE to come out before season six of the HBO show aired. Assuming the show would return in early April, that meant THE WINDS OF WINTER had to be published before the end of March, at the latest.

[...]

Look, I never thought the series could possibly catch up with the books, but it has. The show moved faster than I anticipated and I moved more slowly. There were other factors too, but that was the main one. Given where we are, inevitably, there will be certain plot twists and reveals in season six of GAME OF THRONES that have not yet happened in the books. For years my readers have been ahead of the viewers. This year, for some things, the reverse will be true. How you want to handle that... hey, that's up to you.

Can you detect the incoherence in that? Because for me it's VERY obvious.

Let's say that instead Martin was successful and he had announced the very opposite: that he delivered the book and it was going to come out just BEFORE the show. Exactly as "planned".

But that's a completely FALSE scenario. What is the point of the book coming out before the show's season? To avoid spoilers. But even if the show won' spoil book 6, FOR SURE it will spoil the conclusion. Because it's not even in the realm of plausibility that GRRM can write the whole finale in less than two years.

So you want to tell me this brilliant plan was all about avoiding spoilers for book 6 when you know everything else is going to be spoiled anyway? How can it make sense? How can you avoid mentioning what happens NEXT?

Which is a big hint that it's instead one move part of a bigger plan, and all these "sincere apologies" are just paving the way for something else.

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 4, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Abalieno posted:

Let's see if it's just me:

Can you detect the incoherence in that? Because for me it's VERY obvious.

Let's say that instead Martin was successful and he had announced the very opposite: that he delivered the book and it was going to come out just BEFORE the show. Exactly as "planned".

But that's a completely FALSE scenario. What is the point of the book coming out before the show's season? To avoid spoilers. But even if the show won' spoil book 6, FOR SURE it will spoil the conclusion. Because it's not even in the realm of plausibility that GRRM can write the whole finale in less than two years.

So you want to tell me this brilliant plan was all about avoiding spoilers for book 6 when you know everything else is going to be spoiled anyway? How can it make sense? How can you avoid mentioning what happens NEXT?

Which is a big hint that it's instead one move part of a bigger plan, and all these "sincere apologies" are just paving the way for something else.
I did talk to some mentally incompetent people that chose to believe that Gurm has been working on chapters for both books and was going to release Dream a year later.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abalieno posted:

I was discussing this briefly on Westeros forums before the thread got locked (you shall not discuss GRRM status update on GRRM forums).

I think I see this thing in a different light. From my point of view there's not much to complain about Martin's writing speed, or the fact the book isn't ready. Writing in general is a personal process, and you cannot really judge or mingle from the outside. Or rather, you can but it's useless anyway. There's no universal recipe for writing speed and quality that works for every writer.

I think fans are allowed a certain amount of grumbling because they can't wait for your next book/cd/movie. And if instead of creating said book/movie/song you spend your time working on your other hobbies, you can expect that grumbling to be a bit louder. If when you finally DO deliver said movie/book/song, after a long wait, and it is only half complete, well... fans are going to straight up bitch. Rinse and repeat that process, and fans just might start getting bitter.

Abalieno posted:

And this is VERY worrying because he says nothing about this. As if he's not even considering this most important aspect. When you write book 6 on a series that is supposed to end with 7, then the whole purpose of this penultimate book is ALL about preparing the way for the finale. It's all about positioning the pieces so that you can then bring everything together in the last book. And that means that the most important thing is the timing.

Yeah, my best guess is we are halfway through the series, and its a 10 booker.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kcroy posted:

I think fans are allowed a certain amount of grumbling because they can't wait for your next book/cd/movie. And if instead of creating said book/movie/song you spend your time working on your other hobbies, you can expect that grumbling to be a bit louder. If when you finally DO deliver said movie/book/song, after a long wait, and it is only half complete, well... fans are going to straight up bitch. Rinse and repeat that process, and fans just might start getting bitter.

The last half decade of this thread elucidated this position and arguments against it quite well.

quote:

Yeah, my best guess is we are halfway through the series, and its a 10 booker.

The real joke is I know you're not joking. Given the tapestry GRRM has woven there's just no way to bring everything together in a "mere" 2000 pages.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My best guess is that we are 100% of the way through this series

Iverron
May 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't his novel just thinly-connected vignettes of a ginger Mary Sue loving his way through Rothfuss' D&D campaign?

Even better, it's looking like a number of the accolades from the frame story are bullshit spun to make Kvothe appear more than he was when in reality he was mostly a serial gently caress up who still manages to do amazingly amazing things.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

mind the walrus posted:

The last half decade of this thread elucidated this position and arguments against it quite well.

The real joke is I know you're not joking. Given the tapestry GRRM has woven there's just no way to bring everything together in a "mere" 2000 pages.

Rocks fall angry ice-elves and zombies invade, everyone dies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh so it wasn't about the destination it was about the journey

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mossyfisk posted:

My best guess is that we are 100% of the way through this series

lol

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

kcroy posted:

I'm glad his fan base has taken the time to enable his lovely behavior and pat him on the head for not writing.

hey which website wrote that whole thing about GRRMLINS ( the different lovely type of sycophants on grrms blog ) ... is it this one? http://www.iswintercoming.com/ ?

I thought there was one. All I could find was https://mobile.twitter.com/istwowoutyet

There was isadancewithdragonsoutyet.com or something of the like.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

kcroy posted:

I think the fans should go get a life. :p

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Jets choked away their chance at the playoffs today. He's going to be too depressed to write for at least 3 months.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
He really hosed up by skipping the time skip. It's never getting back on track.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

He really hosed up by skipping the time skip. It's never getting back on track.

Just take a mulligan and write like the last two books never happened.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That would be the best thing he could do for himself and the series while getting in a huge "gently caress you" to the show for having the balls to hold up their end of the creative process. This of course assumes that he'd be creatively rejuvenated, when really it'd amount to a few more chapters whinging about ~~Daario~~ and little else.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The book is never coming out

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He should just tl;dr it

Dany gets her dragons to Westeros, they melt the others, Jon Snow slots it in her, they rule together, but did you know that life is meaningless and full of pain because my Jets are a lovely football team the end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

life is meaningless because my Jets are a lovely football team

New thread title?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kcroy posted:

I'm glad his fan base has taken the time to enable his lovely behavior and pat him on the head for not writing.

hey which website wrote that whole thing about GRRMLINS ( the different lovely type of sycophants on grrms blog ) ... is it this one? http://www.iswintercoming.com/ ?

There used to be a compendium of rear end kissers at iswintercoming, but it was sent into the ether when Linda Antonsson had that site nuked. I think. It's got to be around somewhere.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
ASOIAF fans are the whiniest babies ever. Fans of The Dark Tower waited 20 years for the conclusion of that series and it was the worst possible ending imagineable.

I really cant hate a big fat old supernerd, who wrote some pretty good novels years ago that were moderately successful, and then was catapulted into superstardom for wanting to spend the last decade or so of his life wanting to bask in his new found fame and riches instead of sitting in his basement finishing a series he clearly hosed up, especially when TV producers have offered to finish the story for him.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TommyGun85 posted:

I really cant hate a big fat old supernerd, who wrote some pretty good novels years ago that were moderately successful, and then was catapulted into superstardom for wanting to spend the last decade or so of his life wanting to bask in his new found fame and riches instead of sitting in his basement finishing a series he clearly hosed up, especially when TV producers have offered to finish the story for him.

I would really respect him if he just straight up told everyone "look, I'm done, bye".

But instead he's complaining about complaining while giving people reason to complain. Don't do this "it'll be out in 2015" poo poo. And don't whine that the show is overtaking you when you're perfectly capable of counting to 6 and realizing that's how many years you have until you're overtaken.

Just say "I quit".

Just walk away.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I would really respect him if he just straight up told everyone "look, I'm done, bye".

But instead he's complaining about complaining while giving people reason to complain. Don't do this "it'll be out in 2015" poo poo. And don't whine that the show is overtaking you when you're perfectly capable of counting to 6 and realizing that's how many years you have until you're overtaken.

Just say "I quit".

Just walk away.

to this, I agree.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

ASOIAF fans are the whiniest babies ever. Fans of The Dark Tower waited 20 years for the conclusion of that series and it was the worst possible ending imagineable.

King still produced novels in those years. Imagine if he instead put out The Dark Tower coloring books, The Ka-Tet of Roland quote booklets and encyclopedias he co-authored with some uber fans for a world he hasn't finished yet. Even in an age without internet media, fans would've given him hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AtAt-de-fay posted:

King still produced novels in those years. Imagine if he instead put out The Dark Tower coloring books, The Ka-Tet of Roland quote booklets and encyclopedias he co-authored with some uber fans for a world he hasn't finished yet. Even in an age without internet media, fans would've given him hell.

I think I get what you're saying here....anyone got a van?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So now he's gonna spend another couple of days screening comments, instead of writing.

His moderated hugbox is supportive, what a surprise

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But instead he's complaining about complaining while giving people reason to complain.

In due time, So Spake Martin will just be a ton of complaints from his live journal.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I get what you're saying here....anyone got a van?

You drive. I'll bring the tunes -- "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" by The Hold Steady.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I just think that it is reassuring that he has actually been trying to work on it. Hopefully without the pressure he will be able to finish up TWOW soon so I can read more about Patchface and cannibals and unicorns and Rickon.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

We've also been waiting 20 years though and have less overall books to show for it. Also we might not get the last few books at all since George will be in his mid-70s by even a generous estimate for the release of the final book. We might get no ending OR a bad ending still, there's no way of telling yet.

King was also writing 2-3 books per year during the longest gaps between Dark Tower books. GRRM has been writing some short stories for Wildcards. There's just no comparison.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

His excuses about blaming his travels or blog posts are pretty funny. Dude talks about his nephew's wedding and how it brought him back to the East. Is this fucker traveling on foot?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He writes a lot of stuff about what he did and how it screwed his schedule but he has the decency to admit that ultimately it's just him not writing quickly enough and well enough. it seems like he's looking for distractions because he doesn't enjoy the writing and isn't pleased with the end product, given how ADWD\AFFC turned out I can't say I blame him.

The books have become a sprawling mess of about two dozen intertwined plot lines, it started as a rather straightforward thing where he got to just write cool scenes about a medieval oaf who gets his head chopped off for being too honorable which was probably fun to write but now he's writing travel logs and stories he admits he had no intention of originally writing with such detail, he has to focus on a period in the story which he intentionally intended to skip and he doesn't enjoy it and has almost no idea how to approach any of it.

I don't feel bad for him or anything but I understand his plight, he wrote himself into a corner.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 4, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He should have bran become unstuck in time, observing things in vaguely shifting timelines. He can use that excuse to ignore continuity when he needs to in every arc because like, time is wack.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

pentyne posted:

Rothfuss even threw a temper tantrum when he tried to livesteam himself playing Fallout 4 and the stream was nothing but people saying "WHERE THE gently caress IS THE NEXT BOOK?"

Does this still exist anywhere online?

I read the first book that Rothfuss guy wrote because goons kept slobbering his knob and it was a loving awful pretentious mess written by a narcissist, so I can only imagine how entertaining his fanbase interactions are.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wheeee posted:

Does this still exist anywhere online?

I read the first book that Rothfuss guy wrote because goons kept slobbering his knob and it was a loving awful pretentious mess written by a narcissist, so I can only imagine how entertaining his fanbase interactions are.

Rothfuss is like a younger GRRM who took the bad parts of GRRM and his fanbase and made them all worse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't really get why writers write all the boring stupid bullshit it feels like it'd be a chore to write. you write 200 pages and nothing happens it had to be a goddamn slog to actually put those words to the page.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's what happens when you don't actually have a story to tell :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Wheeee posted:

Yeah a friend of mine lent me that book and "pretentious narcissist" is a pretty apt description. I didn't hate it or anything but it wasn't as amazing as I was lead to believe.