Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Luvcow posted:

unitarian universalism

Someone was handing out flyers to get people to come to this church and they were bragging about being Christianity without the homophobia, seems pretty cool to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXPNbiYbqqg

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
join a mosque and kill yourself for allah OP

allah is the light

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Luvcow posted:

unitarian universalism

I know a girl who is a reverend or whatever in that religion and she is the single nicest and most caring person I have ever known. That said she has no real grasp on reality

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You should become a mormon, you know Amy Adams is a mormon

Ladydad
Mar 23, 2008

Monday_ posted:

Someone was handing out flyers to get people to come to this church and they were bragging about being Christianity without the homophobia, seems pretty cool to me.

i went to one a few weeks ago and they kicked things off with a U2 song.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Monday_ posted:

very open and liberal church that lets anyone in and teaches aspects of all faiths, though different congregations may have different feels to their services. growing up UU our sunday school used the "arrow of light" idea of teaching about all faiths and allowing the kids to make up their own minds about what they believed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Quakers, OP. Then you are exempt from the draft.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Church of england. They have cake.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
are there any religions where like you get wasted during weekly celebrations or other ceremonies

I feel like being really hosed up would help me commune with god

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Monkey Fracas posted:

are there any religions where like you get wasted during weekly celebrations or other ceremonies

Catholics never vilified alcohol as to keep the Irish from defecting, but the best drinking religion will always be Shinto

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
also any cool religions with psychoactive drug-fueled ordeals

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Monkey Fracas posted:

also any cool religions with psychoactive drug-fueled ordeals

Those are all in SOuth America or on Indian Reservations

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
start your own church OP it's more fun and profitabletax exempt organization

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Enfield posted:

you could become a druid

multiclassing is a bad suggestion this late in the game

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
OP, when I was in grad school some of my friends would drag me to the randomly 98% Ghanaian CofE church. I'm not into religion but they were pretty cool people, also Kente outfits are totally awesome. Also, like Nathilus says, they have cake.

You might have to agree to hate gay people or something these days - I gather that's a thing in the African church.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OP have you considered Judaism

The conversion process is a bit of a bitch but the benefits (which Internet people keep saying telling me actually exist and I'm sure will kick in for me any day now) are worth it!!!

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Saga posted:

OP, when I was in grad school some of my friends would drag me to the randomly 98% Ghanaian CofE church. I'm not into religion but they were pretty cool people, also Kente outfits are totally awesome. Also, like Nathilus says, they have cake.

You might have to agree to hate gay people or something these days - I gather that's a thing in the African church.

american anglicanism is a lot different, they have gay and transgender priests and have a liturgy for celebrating gay marriage and are generally bleeding heart liberals

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

The conversion process is a bit of a bitch but the benefits (which Internet people keep saying telling me actually exist and I'm sure will kick in for me any day now) are worth it!!!

Ask your rabbi for the card because thats the number you gotta put in when you vote for them to actually count it

e: Also i hear it works on the Papa Johns website for $0.05 per chicken wing which is legit as gently caress

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ask your rabbi for the card because thats the number you gotta put in when you vote for them to actually count it

e: Also i hear it works on the Papa Johns website for $0.05 per chicken wing which is legit as gently caress

Lol if you think converts get the real card.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

This only happens to guys foolish enough to marry a jewish american princess.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Episcopalian. You don't have to have any actual religious beliefs at all. It is just full-on high-quality white-people-ness. Everyone is like a doctor or a banker or a college professor and your cathedral will have a pipe organ made from melted down Revolutionary War cannons and a full orchestra at Easter. Also Episcopalians have the correct attitude toward gays (ironic tolerance).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
No one has said First Baptist or Methodist yet.

There's a good reason for that

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Booblord Zagats posted:

First Baptist or Methodist

:yikes:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maoist Pussy posted:

Episcopalian. You don't have to have any actual religious beliefs at all. It is just full-on high-quality white-people-ness. Everyone is like a doctor or a banker or a college professor and your cathedral will have a pipe organ made from melted down Revolutionary War cannons and a full orchestra at Easter. Also Episcopalians have the correct attitude toward gays (ironic tolerance).

Episcopalian sounds pretty cool, I think that religion is dangerous and divisive bullshit at best but would probably be cool with going to an episcopalian church since they don't seem like huge dicks.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i would honestly suggest one of those native american religions. when i was in prison i declared myself as a follower of traditional native american religions despite being the whitest guy ever and i got to do a sweat lodge ceremony every week and it loving owned. it's metal as gently caress

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
the one you feed

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You could also try the Calvary Bible Church in Andover, Maine.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

soy posted:

Episcopalian sounds pretty cool, I think that religion is dangerous and divisive bullshit at best but would probably be cool with going to an episcopalian church since they don't seem like huge dicks.

Its like being a secular Jew, but for WASPs

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Robo Reagan posted:

im insanely jealous because he must have been laughing all the way to his gold filled grave

Not really. Towards the end, he started believing in his own crazy, formed his own underage sex navy, and generally became a complete nutjob.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Church of fudge

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
Seconding Episcopalians. Most of my congregation refuses to cite the Nicean creed and don't believe in the bodily resurrection. The Episcopalians are also super cool with the gays and don't give it a poo poo about much other than being laidback and spreadin' the love. My church is basically a cool place to go and sing Anglican hymns, grab a free meal, and hang out with really nice WASPs.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I'm a PACE Catholic at the moment. Once my wife and I start a family and the kids are old enough to understand what is going on, we'll start going every Sunday (+ all of the holy days of obligation, of course). I've started to volunteer and get familiar with the community -- mostly nice people, though a couple of typical, "our-poo poo-doesn't-smell" socialites. It's kind of nice because there are a lot of people in our parish, including some friends, who are also just beginning to fulfill their duty to "be fruitful and multiply". Pope Francis is also super cool.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

loquacius posted:

dude, haven't you gotten your invitation to the elders of Zion annual meeting yet? you're missing out.
the world takeover conspiracies are pretty run of the mill, but the bagels in the buffet are amazing.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I have considered converting to Judaism just to power up my support for Israel

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
the one good thing about indiana is that we have the one true church

the weed church

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Unitarian Universalist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

(somewhat sincere in that recommendation)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Westboro Baptist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Cartouche posted:

Unitarian Universalist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

(somewhat sincere in that recommendation)

What I really need is a set of religious beliefs that don't coincidentally don't differ from pop-culture morality in any way.

• Locked thread