Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lynza posted:

My idiot birbs hang out in front of our door when the weather's bad. Never mind that they have a spacious, clean, dry, and warm coop they could hang out in. Oh no. It's 25F, there's an inch of ice on the ground, and they're making GBS threads it up in front of my door.

They're waiting for you to come let them in to your house. You shouldn't be so rude to your birds :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Triangulum your enclosure kicks rear end.

Spent most of the last two days cleaning out pens, these are before pics and a bit messy. the incubator room is a disaster area currently, and god drat can chicks really jump/get air born when they figure out wings. Any eggs I find end up in the incubators, chicks are then put under a surrogate mama till larger and then later into larger boxes for warmth and food. Many get sold off later on, and special ones are picked out for breeding/showing. They can alternate between being in pens or being in yards. Today I watched a rooster beat another rooster in combat, the loser promptly hid in a bucket until things were all clear, you better believe I picked up that bucket and cradled him like a baby.

Coccidiosis is always a threat and everything has to be cleaned often and kept warm and dry. Soaked wheat (12 hours) corn meal and pellets are the mainstay with grass greens and compost as often as we can get it to them. Chicks get crumble.

Rooster inspecting imprisoned Guinea fowl. These things are like roaches and get everywhere and make loud noises.

This duck and chook are both broody and sitting on a huge clutch of mixed eggs, and love each others company.

HAIL SATAN.

These things are worse than rats, they get everywhere and are loud.

Inveigle posted:

Do they raise any bantam chickens? If so, please get some photos! (I really miss the photos of the adorable banties that Tim the Enchanter used to post here.)

Also, what type of chicken is the black rooster? He looks very jaunty! :)

I am told he is a Langshan Rooster, plenty of Guinea fowl and Peacocks running a muck, I even saw a Maremma dog chase a peacock away from the chickens. There is also Geese, a swan, Turkeys, ducks etc etc.

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 8, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Peacocks are the worst.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I'd love to have peas again, but they'd never stick around--they go wandering at the first opportunity. After that you'll sometimes see them in the neighborhood...on someone's roof...on other people's car's...

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack
Triangulum your enclosure looks great!
It's the middle of summer here and either hot or pouring with rain... the ducks love either, but are unimpressed the chicks don't join them to get saturated

ooo, about a year ago we lived by a main road in town, a massive white bird managed to stop 5 o'clock traffic before being chased around the neighbourhood by animal control.
Turns out it was a pretty white peacock that our neighbours found on their driveway the next day, and held on to it while a bird sanctuary person came to collect it. Apparently it's owner had been searching for it for 6 months. Good times

Also, I've come to ask another question.. my formerly ill pullet lacey is well, off her meds for a while now and had probiotics. During her recovery she spent time where her and the flock could see each other but not touch, and later was allowed a bit of time to free range with them. On Tuesday evening she went back out with her birb friends and mostly it's okay, they don't mercilessly peck her but aren't excited she's back either.
I think she sleeps with them at night, I've watched them angrily settle into their usual chicken pile but when everyone's outside usually she's not close to the others, sometimes they'll peck her but they don't call her and when the ducks call everyone close she doesn't follow. She'll run to them when she realises she's been left far behind. I noticed everyone go into the coop for food today and Blue pullet made her stay outside, Lacey still does get food, but it explains why she does it on her own, especially when I'm in the coop.
I've tried hanging cabbage and silverbeet as distractions (which as usual go ignored), re arranged the coop to throw them off, and she has plenty of places to run and hide from them.
Is that normal? am I expecting them to settle in too soon, especially since we lost one little rooster the same time Lacey was taken away from them?
or should I separate Blue out for a bit as she is the main bully?

as thanks, here are my ungrateful jerk squad tired from murdering my tomato plant

minus Lacey as they wouldn't let her sit with them right then

and head of the jerk squad who are moulting like crazy. Stevie in the middle, still makes neither boy nor girl noises and discovered his favourite game is sitting in the pool biting Frankie duck who swims in circles pulling them both around.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chickens in fancy sweaters

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Cockatoo meets chicken

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^Love the reaction.

Well, our team of experts has carefully done their duty and checked our Powerball ticket...

...and stamped it 'Not A Winner'.

:saddowns:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^Love the reaction.

Well, our team of experts has carefully done their duty and checked our Powerball ticket...

shucks! can you just imagine what you could do with all that moola! Better luck next time? Your chickens look real good considering this crappy weather!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^Love the reaction.

You should've let them peck a winner.

:haw:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MegaBawks

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
We switched over to feeding the chickens in the evening and now whenever they hear our truck pull up, they all run to the fence peeping wildly :3:

Beethoven is so drat majestic

The Wyandottes are gettin real cute

THE FOOD BRINGER HAS ARRIVED!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Triangulum posted:

We switched over to feeding the chickens in the evening and now whenever they hear our truck pull up, they all run to the fence peeping wildly :3:

Beethoven is so drat majestic

The Wyandottes are gettin real cute

THE FOOD BRINGER HAS ARRIVED!

I love the feeding time chicken happiness parade every evening. :keke:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

piscesbobbie posted:

shucks! can you just imagine what you could do with all that moola! Better luck next time? Your chickens look real good considering this crappy weather!

Imagine how many chickens she could have bought, and minions to feed them.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Imagine how many chickens she could have bought, and minions to feed them.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A CHICKEN WONDERLAND SUCH AS THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN.

With lots of poop.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I haven't posted in a while here because nothing much has really happened with my chickens xD. I've been working full time now for about two years, and I don't get to see my chickens much on weekdays, specially in the winder is it's already dark when I get home. All my chickens are doing well though, just getting to the 5 year mark now :3.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

I haven't posted in a while here because nothing much has really happened with my chickens xD. I've been working full time now for about two years, and I don't get to see my chickens much on weekdays, specially in the winder is it's already dark when I get home. All my chickens are doing well though, just getting to the 5 year mark now :3.

Hey there Chido! Congratulations. I can't believe it's been 5 years already! You are an awesome Chicken Mom :dance:

edit: Chido, do you have a link for the video of Roostroyer telling you he is ready for night night? I am unable to locate! Thank you!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 24, 2016

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Wow, time flies, congrats Chido, I have been reading about your chooks for years.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

piscesbobbie posted:

You are an awesome Chicken Mom :dance:
Quoted for truth!
Another one here who loved your chicken posts.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aww, it's ok Chido... no news is good news on the chicken front! We had too many losses last year anyway. T_T

I don't see much of mine when I'm working either. They did get to go out in the snow the other day though! They were not terribly impressed. And I set up a swing for them made out of a 1" dowel rod. I don't think they've really used it, but it gave them something new to investigate when we had all the heavy snow on Friday so at least they weren't bored.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

In UK chicken news, say hello to Dee.

Cluck for bigger.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

In UK chicken news, say hello to Dee.

Cluck for bigger.

Awww...she's a little Red Star, just like our Zip. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a good chance this is more accurate than Jurassic Park was.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I adore Manly Men Doing Manly Things :3 Such a great webcomic! And such cute velociraptors!

My little velociraptors got some leftover roast and carrots the other day. They bit my fingers trying to get more meat. I am very glad they do not have teeth like their scary little ancestors.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cythereal posted:

There's a good chance this is more accurate than Jurassic Park was.

In panel #3, this is exactly what happened at my daughter's 2nd birthday party. Our Head Hen Bear was covered in pink cake frosting and we were all chasing her around the yard like demented, screaming idiots trying to retrieve the slice of cake she'd stolen from my sister.

It was like some kind of low-budget barnyard Keystone Kops episode.

In other news, the weather is lookin' good for an actual Chickam broadcast this weekend! No snow and 52 degrees, whoo hoo! I'll have to bust out the chicken Food Carousel in celebration.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cross posted from the bird crazies thread, this is too good not to share:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUNECHCKWBc

BED RATS!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I just had to euthanise a spraddle-legged coturnix chick that I'd been trying to save for two weeks. :( I braced his legs and he seemed to be improving well for a few days, but then he suddenly went downhill and his bad leg twisted out of shape and today his hip joint was sticking right out. I was pretty attached to him because he was a tuxedo and had little grumpy eyebrows. Spraddling sucks.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well, poo poo. :( Sorry Avshalom. It's always the little gimpy chicks that you get attached to...

Edit: Just for fun, goofy lookin' chickens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pavlovsk...%3D182021955365

And...bantam Polish! Check out the roo with the Santa hat! http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRESALE-Bantam-Buff-laced-Polish-Chicken-Hatching-Eggs-/111887571141?hash=item1a0d04d8c5:g:sOgAAOSwpRRWmmNV

VVVVV Wow, what an rear end in a top hat the guy driving the car is. :saddowns:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 14, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Don't mind me, I'm just transporting some poultry in on my car

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Don't mind me, I'm just transporting some poultry in on my car
That's horrible :(

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I need to make a decision, and haven't quite worked it out yet. Of originally four hens, the last one went missing yesterday. No feathers or any other sign, so probably taken by a hawk. She was out of the run for a bit, and I was aware of the risk. I got complacent over the years. That's not the upsetting part.

The upsetting part is that this rear end in a top hat:

is now all alone. And he's constantly calling. And I can't handle it. Killing him and starting with a fresh batch in the spring would be the rational thing to do.

I could also beg a neighbor for a couple of old hens to give him for company. That could be a quick fix, I think, although who knows if they would take to each other. And the neighbor would have to agree, of course. I haven't asked yet.

Or I could start with a batch of chicks right now, keep the cock inside near them (separated of course) to give him something to look at and get them used to his presence from the start. That sounds like the stupidest solution.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I really need to get a proper post put together here; my roommate and I got chickens a couple months back and it's almost alarming how quickly we've become attached to them.
here's our most productive, chatty, bossy gal, Capable!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hey santa baby posted:

Killing him and starting with a fresh batch in the spring would be the rational thing to do.

I mean, this. That, plus he's not exactly going to last much longer anyway if you have predators having *that* much of a field day.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'd also off the rooster.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hey santa baby posted:

I could also beg a neighbor for a couple of old hens to give him for company. That could be a quick fix, I think, although who knows if they would take to each other. And the neighbor would have to agree, of course. I haven't asked yet.
Do that or see if neighbour wants another roo. It's not his fault all his ladies have died.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Do that or see if neighbour wants another roo. It's not his fault all his ladies have died.

I agree. Lone chickens are VERY unhappy and he's not gonna shut the hell up any time soon.

Also:
http://shareably.net/look-inside-at-a-free-range-chicken-farm/?utm_source=TSE_fb_share&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=TSE

the escape goat, welcome to chicken keeping! And yeah, it *is* alarming how quickly you get attached to the little shits. :keke:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Somebody posted that to my facebook wall. That is a mind-blowing amount of bok-boks.

I can only imagine how deafening that is in person!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wow, fresh air, daylight, sun, shade, bathing spots, grass, that's all fab. There's one light coloured hen at about 16 seconds who hurtles off the ramp and zooms off to the left as if on a mission while everyone else goes off to the right.

It would be like that scene in Jurassic Park but with swarms of hens.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 16, 2016

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

spookygonk posted:

It's a chicken. Just eat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitter
Feb 16, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Ognir2/status/677983727931256837