Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nymphical Quivering Expression Whisp is my new album, available from all good retailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm just glad I'm not the only dumb cockatiel owner to make that adjective form of "nymphicus".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I've apparently become obsessed with wild quaker parrots, and I've noticed the ones in Austin seem to be either a subspecies, or to have developed a color mutation. They're almost entirely green, instead of being green with white bellies and foreheads, the bellies and foreheads being a lighter green or a greenish-yellow.

I kinda want a quaker parrot. The ones in Austin are pretty. :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sure they are not red rumps? Sounds like my girl Shy

wild one

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAAg2OQMf1o Aww. 5 Minutes in is especially adorable. Bikebuddy. :3:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout is settling in for bed in her covered cage quietly saying "love you" over and over :3:

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

So, I just remembered a conversation I had with a coworker the other day. This person knows I have birds and has been thinking about getting a bird of their own. I know this person is a major neat freak, so I made sure to emphasize how much birds will poo poo on everything and will shred everything else. I think I summarized the whole talk with, "They are adorable like puppies and toddlers, just as disgusting and destructive as puppies and toddlers, but they also have wings and the propensity toward being sociopaths that cats have. And don't ever forget to think: birds, everything you love is now poop or confetti."

I don't think I talked them out of it (I wasn't trying to, I just wanted to get across some realities of bird ownership), but I definitely gave them something to think about. I also told them that if they're still serious they should come visit to see how well they interact with birds.

mikerock posted:

Scout is settling in for bed in her covered cage quietly saying "love you" over and over :3:
:kimchi:
A couple days ago, I heard Gunter say "I love you" incredibly clearly for the first time.

Jade was in the bathroom and didn't take her in with him like he usually does. She flew to the bookcase across from the bathroom and just kept frantically saying "I love you" while staring intensely at the door. It was kind of heartbreaking, especially considering that her usual vocalizations are screaming, shrieking, alarm beeping, adorable murder kisses, and angry muttering.

Maestro mutters "Good Maestro" in the sleepiest voice when he goes to bed. It's so cute!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I really love that it's not just Judah who gets muttery at bedtime and that it seems to be a thing across species :3: As I'm covering him he always runs through just about every word and cockatiel-babble-that-sounds-like-words he knows, then once he's covered, if anyone passes by his cage they'll get a sleepy little "wanna water?" or "pretty birrrrr.."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

learnincurve posted:

Sure they are not red rumps? Sounds like my girl Shy

wild one

No, they are most definitely quakers. They have the nests and everything.

Speaking of which, I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw a couple of them squawking loudly at the customers as they entered and left the store. Ostensibly because they'd built a nest right next to where they were standing.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 7, 2016

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

No, they are most definitely quakers. They have the nests and everything.

Speaking of which, I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw a couple of them squawking loudly at the customers as they entered and left the store. Ostensibly because they'd built a nest right next to where they were standing.

If you could get a photo, that would be great.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Thyrork posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAAg2OQMf1o Aww. 5 Minutes in is especially adorable. Bikebuddy. :3:

This made me so happy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Ring bell, get kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNVhw-I8iXc

Skillet bird :3

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

"This video is private.
Sorry about that."

-the internet

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

titties posted:

"This video is private.
Sorry about that."

-the internet

Fixed it, sorry :blush:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I miss my birbs. They've got a box of toys from Scarlets Parrot Essentials to be sent back for them when I leave, still undecided about bird dress up

Dat stubby potato tail. He's got a pretty good voice for talking! And the bell kisses followed by running away :3: Skillet is probably the most talented 'tiel in the thread.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mirthless posted:

Fixed it, sorry :blush:

ty I love bird

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ama was introduced to papaya and now all of his poop is red, goddamnit bird how am I supposed to paranoiacally check for blood in your stool now.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama was introduced to papaya and now all of his poop is red, goddamnit bird how am I supposed to paranoiacally check for blood in your stool now.

Taste it. :unsmigghh:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo :kimchi:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama was introduced to papaya

Ew. Papaya is so gross.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

He enunciates really well for a cockatiel when he's saying stuff like "baby bird" and "skillet bird".

I tried taking a group shot of the tiels earlier but Archer wasn't co-operating

Of course he was okay with a picture of just him being taken

As was Anaïs

Ellie was clearly not as down

Charlie was hanging out and watching TV and didn't appreciate the intrusion

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The chicken butt is the most :kimchi:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

This is the first time I've seen a cockatiel with that color pattern, and I think it is my new favorite. What is it called?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Khizan posted:

This is the first time I've seen a cockatiel with that color pattern, and I think it is my new favorite. What is it called?

Seems to be a "whiteface" gray female. Whiteface should be ones lacking the pigments for the yellow and red colorings, and since normal gray females are gray all over except for the yellow and red parts, a whiteface gray female ends up with an entirely gray face.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, she's a female whiteface. Archer is a pearl who basically looks like a normal gray tiel because he's a male and Ellie is cinnamon split pied.

Edit: I can't find a good picture but I had a whiteface pied tiel and that's a really stunning mutation combo.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 9, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We need less a less complicated naming system, Thor is a cinnamon grey pied pearl Loki is just grey tho.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This just in: birds are sociopaths

http://gizmodo.com/diabolical-falcons-trap-living-birds-for-future-meals-1751857385

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

as animals get smarter they tend to get more evil: dolphins, chimpanzees, now birds...

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Charlie was hanging out and watching TV and didn't appreciate the intrusion

Such a typical Senegal. That face!

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Long time, no check in. Had no computer for a while.

Zeke died a few hours ago from natural causes.

I'm not taking it well. Zoe is taking it harder.

Please give your birds a kiss from me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That sucks duder

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Official Bizness posted:

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Official Bizness posted:

Geez :( Fragile little assholes

Albert Update:

She's done her round of meds and is normal, if not a bit more lovey-dovey than usual.

Marty Update:

She's a bitey rear end in a top hat who is ridiculously cute and expressive with a voice like a garbage disposal (compared to Albert's super-sweet mimicking of my wife's voice).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHannqGzgFA

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 10, 2016

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Official Bizness posted:

I'm so sorry. Know that Zeke was lucky to have had you.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nooo, Zeke. :( So sorry to hear that, Bizness.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Official Bizness posted:

Sorry to hear that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Really sorry to hear that, when blue's (budgie's) mate died he was inconsolable but bounced back once he decided of his own accord that he would move in with the potatoes and make friends with Loki, obviously it's not the same but he's back to something like normal. I've given them all extra sunflower seeds and millet from you. /hugs

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Official Bizness posted:

Aww crap. I'm so sorry. Zeke had a good life with you and Zoe, for the small comfort that may provide.

RIP good bird.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

soda please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Official Bizness posted:

Im so sorry, and hope Zoe will be okay in time too