Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dave Concepcion posted:

Has anyone had any experience using glow-in-the dark paint to simulate sodium lamps/other lights? I've got a model freighter and I'm toying with the idea of using orange luminous pigment to paint where the bulbs would be on the deck lights to get a little subtle shine when it's dark, best would be some radium or tritium paint but that's getting hard to come by so maybe some superluminova or something of the sort? Anyone tried something similar?

I actually found a solution to this that worked really well, using pico-LED lights and a drop of candlewax:

just ordered an additional 20 LEDs since this was just proof of concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
hmm that sure were some lovely pictures, here's a bigger version of the last one to show how effective candlewax is as a light diffuser/bulb prop

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Been building the Airfix Vampire: a ugly gap developed in one of the underwings, possibly because the intake behind the inlet was slightly outa place. If you are building the airfix, watch out for that.

Mister Dog posted:

Been building on the Revell: an ugly gap developed at every junction. If you're building the Revell, watch out for that.

I'm on the Revell, and I'm also getting gaps everywhere EXCEPT the underside of the fuselage. The left wing is also OK. Right wing, however...

For a first attempt in however many years, it'll do. Also, this thing is tiny.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The fuselage is going together okay-ish for me.

The tail, however, is pretty gappy.

And who the gently caress thought it was okay to have this many pieces with no pegs or other means of alignment?

Brovine: one of us put the engine nozzle in the wrong way. :v:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I just messed up the priming on the Stug III that I've worked on for for a few months. I'm pissed beyond believe, goddamn I should remember to clean my airbrush after AND before I want to paint.

I'm soo done with modeling atm....

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Brovine: one of us put the engine nozzle in the wrong way. :v:

Oh gently caress. It wasn't you.

Erm... okay, can I fix this...

EDIT: Yes. Yes I can. Pried the back half of the fuselage open while the glue was still softish, tore the nozzle out, put it back where it should be and re-glued. Thanks for spotting that!

Brovine fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 12, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hi-Mock is almost done. Went for an Iron Man Mk. XXII look. Gotta figure out what I want to do with the gun, so the right hand is waiting until then.

I present: 'Hot-Mock'

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hi-Mock is almost done. Went for an Iron Man Mk. XXII look. Gotta figure out what I want to do with the gun, so the right hand is waiting until then.

I present: 'Hot-Mock'

That owns bones.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Get a load of trucker decals and go full Megas with it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Forums Terrorist posted:

Get a load of trucker decals and go full Megas with it

In case some of you haven't seen the show:

And, yes, that is a car as its head.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

In case some of you haven't seen the show:

And, yes, that is a car as its head.

And if you haven't seen the show, go watch Megas XLR. :rock:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

makka-setan posted:

After a 20 year hiatus I decided to get building again. As a first project I got a hold of Bandai's new AT-ST. I bought a spray can of Tamiya light gray and some general aircraft wash. For details I relied on my old stash of mostly non-dried up enamel paints.

In my youth I never weathered anything so that's a first for me. I mixed up some enamels for weathering, just dabbing it on with a sponge and then touched up details with the wash.

Lessons learned:

Spray cans are not good substitute for an airbrush. Pressing the nozzle is like opening flood gates.
Snap kits suck. There is no dry fitting. When clicked together you are committed.
Enamel wash will make the plastic brittle and things will start cracking all over.
25 year old Humbrol enamel paint simply does not dry. Ever.

And the result:

Whattup, AT-ST bro!

Killer work on this piece! I love the rust and dirt-spatter effects you've got all over this. The Empire has definitely put her through it's paces.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Killer work on this piece!

Thanks man! And thanks to the others that commented too!

Since putting it together more pieces have cracked and the whole walker is falling apart. Will definitely have to re-do everything on a new kit. And I will try to go 100% acrylic in the future, I'm rage quitting enamel.

But on a positive note I ordered a cheap AS186 compressor (with a "free" (probably awful) airbrush).

Is Vallejo Air ok for regular brush painting? Maybe I'll buy one of those starter kits with 10-20 colors and maybe add some varnishes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hi-Mocks, huh?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

makka-setan posted:

Is Vallejo Air ok for regular brush painting? Maybe I'll buy one of those starter kits with 10-20 colors and maybe add some varnishes.

They are ok for brushpainting, but maybe you need to have one or two more layers compared to the regular line because it's a bit thinner.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why does that robot have a huge robo penis dragging on the ground?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Those accessory kits are getting out of hand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

makka-setan posted:

Thanks man! And thanks to the others that commented too!

Since putting it together more pieces have cracked and the whole walker is falling apart. Will definitely have to re-do everything on a new kit. And I will try to go 100% acrylic in the future, I'm rage quitting enamel.

But on a positive note I ordered a cheap AS186 compressor (with a "free" (probably awful) airbrush).

It's really just certain Bandai kits that don't like enamels, and particularly enamel thinners. Whatever plastic they use for their kits, especially this AT-ST which needed a more rigid plastic to support itself on such thin legs, is susceptible to attack from the thinners. Virtually any other kit from any other manufacturer plays fine with enamels. Saying that, I barely use enamels myself. Mostly just for pin-washes and glossy effects like fuel stains and the like.

Vallejo Air is fine for brush painting; it may go on a little thin so you may need an extra coat, but it'll serve your purposes. Vallejos thicker paints made specifically for brushing go on like a dream though, probably my favourite paints for hand-brushing. Particularly their Game line of paints, which have a really nice heavy, opaque pigment load.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Other Revell vampire people: forgot to ask yesterday, but did any of you manage to attach the control panel decal? I couldn't get it to stay in place or mould itself to the surface so I gave up.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Brovine posted:

Other Revell vampire people: forgot to ask yesterday, but did any of you manage to attach the control panel decal? I couldn't get it to stay in place or mould itself to the surface so I gave up.

I just managed it earlier today. Couldn't get it to stay in place until I used some decal setter and a cotton bud to dry the excess.

...I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Brovine posted:

Nope mine went in the fireplace

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why you're surprised when the rest of the robot is a collection of fully articulated testicles.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Luminaflare posted:

I just managed it earlier today. Couldn't get it to stay in place until I used some decal setter and a cotton bud to dry the excess.

...I have no idea what I'm doing.

You know what you're doing better than I do, if that helps!

This evening I've painted the tyres and exhaust, attached the nose cannons, and attempted to fill the cracks on the assembled bits. Mostly the bodge method, with tiny shards of plastic and poly cement. It'll do.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Whoops. Put the elevator on upside down.

Oh well.

Also has anyone elses landing gear snapped as soon as you snipped them off the sprue?

edit: I AM NOT GOOD AT GLUE

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 13, 2016

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

$80 worth of over-priced wood.

In hindsight I would have gone with a thicker frame and 1/2 ply deck instead of 3/4. But there it is, a blank canvas.

Looks good. Your new track plan looks great as well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Luminaflare posted:

Oh well.

Also has anyone elses landing gear snapped as soon as you snipped them off the sprue?

How many pieces are stuck to your fingers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

To protect its robo balls, duh :rolleyes:.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Oh well.

Yeah that's how most of the small side windows on my still WIP Osprey ended up looking despite my best attempts to avoid it.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

jadebullet posted:

How many pieces are stuck to your fingers?

Surprisingly, none.

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah that's how most of the small side windows on my still WIP Osprey ended up looking despite my best attempts to avoid it.

Yeah, they don't really fit on too well and I kept slipping. Don't have the best fine motor control ever.

Any ways, fixed the cloudy windows, or at least the outside of them... I have a finger print on the inside.

e: I have never used plastic putty before. A nail buffer shined the cockpit up nicely though.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 13, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I finished my Viggen, and have equipped it with the RB04 anti-ship missile. What is cool about this plane is that it apparently is the only plane to get a missile lock on the SR71 Blackbird.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So how did you do the grime and panel lines in the end?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

jadebullet posted:

So I finished my Viggen, and have equipped it with the RB04 anti-ship missile. What is cool about this plane is that it apparently is the only plane to get a missile lock on the SR71 Blackbird.

That's a very nice Viggen.
:sweden:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's a friggin' nice Viggen, brah.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Jonny Nox posted:

So how did you do the grime and panel lines in the end?

I had painted black lines on the raised panels before I put the base coat on, but discovered that a rattle can will just cover them up rather than leave a bit showing through, so I then used some fine sandpaper and wet sanded it down until they became revealed. I then used a charcoal pencil to further bring them forward, and used weathering powders for the thrust reverser buildup.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Scale modelers are insane. $500 for a 1/35 Tiger I kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-Cyber-...%3D171676664578

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Molentik posted:

Scale modelers are insane. $500 for a 1/35 Tiger I kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-Cyber-...%3D171676664578

21 watching

Is is an unusually good kit, or just rare? Or neither, and e-bay being e-bay?

E: Jesus H Christ, looking at the other auctions linked at the bottom, there's some very very expensive 1/35 kits out there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Pretty sure you can get the full metal full interior Tiger for that much. Speaking of, why is it always the Tigers with outlandishly expensive kits?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ensign Expendable posted:

Speaking of, why is it always the Tigers with outlandishly expensive kits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1yprwy97p4

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

It's a short run Dragon/Cyberhobby kit that (until Ryefields Tigger with full interior was released a few months ago, which costs only €70) the only/best kit for the early 'Afrika Tigger'. It was from the time that Dragon still supplied their kits with loads of goodies like metal barrel, clear plastic periscopes, PE and Magic Tracks etc..

The Cyberhobby label is a sub-label of Dragon which releases unusual versions of earlier Dragon kits in usually short runs. Some of those kits are very highly sought after a few years when they get rarer.

Personally I don't get the fascination with the Tigger. I think it's a ugly looking box, but for some reason people are obsessed with it. It is one of those subjects that has literally every goddamn version released like the Stug (but the Stug is actually a cool tank).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Molentik posted:

It's a short run Dragon/Cyberhobby kit that (until Ryefields Tigger with full interior was released a few months ago, which costs only €70) the only/best kit for the early 'Afrika Tigger'. It was from the time that Dragon still supplied their kits with loads of goodies like metal barrel, clear plastic periscopes, PE and Magic Tracks etc..

The Cyberhobby label is a sub-label of Dragon which releases unusual versions of earlier Dragon kits in usually short runs. Some of those kits are very highly sought after a few years when they get rarer.

Personally I don't get the fascination with the Tigger. I think it's a ugly looking box, but for some reason people are obsessed with it. It is one of those subjects that has literally every goddamn version released like the Stug (but the Stug is actually a cool tank).

I like the Tiger I, but then I like most German tanks. The hull is a little bit too boxy, but there's something about the dimensions of the turret that I really like.

The Pz. IV is higher on my favourite list, though.