Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Namtab posted:

myriad phantom is actually really good

Namtab posted:

Kirby is really cute, in that show

:yeah: That was fun! Holy gently caress, the summon reveal was amazing! :tem: Still waiting for them to finish all the world explanations and start using that time for more fun things though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Tamako

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I like the MC, really. He's amusingly ineffectual and just generally nice.

:agreed:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

All the girls are cute. I wish the boy was cuter and more interesting.

2 was a good ep for him at least. he's really pragmatic about needing to be useful in the group and working on a new power accordingly. i liked his wordy tangents too, as far as giving him a personality quirk.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i could do without the pre-show explanation of Phantoms and brain disease and the Phantom-of-the-week though, so hopefully that isn't a thing for much longer.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i could do without the pre-show explanation of Phantoms and brain disease and the Phantom-of-the-week though, so hopefully that isn't a thing for much longer.

It will be

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

It will be

all that wasted time, when we could have more scenes with Kirby and the dog...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

phantom world ep 2: i wanted to do a burn on in training here but actually the second episode bored me

kono subarashii sekai blablabla: being a parody is fine and at all but it was ugly and not funny. there's no reason to watch this. glad to see girls still vomit rainbows though!

Davincie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 14, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I thought the 2nd episode of Haruchika was fine. Had a neat puzzle.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Allarion posted:

I thought the 2nd episode of Haruchika was fine. Had a neat puzzle.

It also had the most accurate description of oboe and oboe players in anime history.

I'm all in on this show.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Sushi Police is still rad. I also like the informative sushi trivia during the end credits.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

AnacondaHL posted:

It also had the most accurate description of oboe and oboe players in anime history.

I'm all in on this show.

It didn't show any reed-making, so it failed on that end. I would have liked it better if she had been up in her room with a reed knife trying to perfect her A=440Hz while the other stuff was going on, moreso than practicing. It'd give the despair an entirely different texture.

I plain didn't like the episode, and this may well be one of my rare dropped shows. It just didn't grab me at all.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Don't forget the 3 episode test exists, at least for those who actually feel like making use of it. Say, the first episode was awesome but the second one can suck and you need something to reinforce what way things will go. Or the other way around, I guess.

That said, this clearly doesn't prevent a show from either getting much better or much worse later on. Just gives us a rough metric for its basic quality that's neither too demanding nor too impatient.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The three ep test is ultimately an arbitrary number and not scientific

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 'watch until you get bored and stop' test is more effective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The 'watch until you get bored and stop' test is more effective.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Dimension W's first episode was okay, but I can't say I see what's got everybody so excited about it so far.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Reds posted:

Dimension W's first episode was okay, but I can't say I see what's got everybody so excited about it so far.

it's cool and fun, and I Appreciate rear end

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
The Kyoani Lazy Main Character Guy has been relegated to 'explain the fight situation for the viewers' role but who cares BAPS right

edit: wittgenstein, inner thigh moles

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

If Kyoani is going to make a dumb fanservice LN adaptation, at least they're blowing the competition out of the water with their fanservice animation quality.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Reds posted:

If Kyoani is going to make a dumb fanservice LN adaptation, at least they're blowing the competition out of the water with their fanservice animation quality.

Basically, yeah. If it wasn't for the style and effort put into making it look good nobody would be talking about it at all.

Honestly I think the funniest thing this season is that Studio DEEN is putting out a show that, at least from its first episode, is really amazing and at the exact same time making their standard poorly animated piece of poo poo in kono subarashii etc etc

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 14, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I refuse to remember Sekai Subarashii's full name. I wonder how Deen even gets away with so much omnipresent quality. But it was an otherwise surprisingly good episode that managed to partially compensate for awful animation by being expressive. Poorly drawn expressiveness, but expressive animation none the less.

Unless episode 2 of Myriad Colours does something entertaining I don't think that even the production values can stop me from dropping it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

Basically, yeah. If it wasn't for the style and effort put into making it look good nobody would be talking about it at all.

This is really dumb

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah, in hindsight, you're right. "If this show wasn't the thing it is no one would care" is a dumb hypothetical statement.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

And that's Phantom World dropped like a thing you would drop. Nearly everything about this show is grating on me. There's no production quality in the world that could make me want to watch this.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
That there brass band club 'romance' (if the teacher likes losing his job over dumb kids) anime has me rolling my eyes too, though it deals a lot less in cliches. I might just be fed up with anime in general i guess.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wallrod posted:

That there brass band club 'romance' (if the teacher likes losing his job over dumb kids) anime has me rolling my eyes too, though it deals a lot less in cliches. I might just be fed up with anime in general i guess.

They've barely mentioned the romance, it doesn't seem like they're going to put much focus on it, at least for the time being. Even though it was kind of funny to see both of them preening when the teacher showed up at the start of episode 2.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I hope the second episode of Active Raid picks up people's opinions of the show, because I really liked how fun the first episode was and I'm a bit surprised it got such a lukewarm reception.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wallrod posted:

Haruta was really obnoxious/mister-know-it-all in episode 2, annoyed me to no end.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Reds posted:

I hope the second episode of Active Raid picks up people's opinions of the show, because I really liked how fun the first episode was and I'm a bit surprised it got such a lukewarm reception.

I liked the police train, but other than that it failed to leave enough of an impression for me to think that I'll actively seek it out every week. If I happen to be on Crunchyroll, and happen to see the link, and happen not to have something specific to watch at that specific time, I'll give it another look I guess.

Kono Subarashii Sekai: Started off with potential, still has some. Unfortunately, they basically threw the adversarial relationship between shithead and goddess out with the bathwater, and it would have been a better show if she continued to lambast him for being a worthless human at every opportunity. I'll continue to watch it.

Musaigen no Phantom World: Interesting premise and I'll continue to watch. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how it does financially as the series continues since, even moreso than Amagi, it seems like it's designed specifically as an attempt to attract doujin artists to parody it. For crying out loud, one of the main characters is an imaginary scantily-clad, perverted pixie. At the very least, I've become a fan of Saori Hayami since her performances in Oregairu and Yamada and the Seven Witches, and her character in this one is interesting.

Then again, I have godawful taste, so you should all probably do the exact opposite of what I say I am.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I can't help but feel like Saori Hayami is miscast in Phantom World. I like her voice a lot, but it doesn't feel fitting at all. Might just be me.

Reds fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 14, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Second episode of Prince of Stride was pretty good, and I'm glad I didn't drop it despite the mediocre first 50-75% of the first episode.

Also, I tried watching Rakugo Shinjuu's first episode, and I just couldn't get into it. I like historical stuff in general and the era in particular, but I find it doesn't really have any immediate appeal for me, partly because of the main character not being interesting. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 14, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Konosuba was pretty amusing, I'll give it a couple of episodes.

Also boobs and butts.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

nielsm posted:

Haruta was really obnoxious/mister-know-it-all in episode 2, annoyed me to no end.

Agree, I still enjoyed the episode but he was pretty insufferable in this one. I like him in general and thought his complete dismissal of Chika freaking out about coming into his apartment was funny though, and I want to know more about his home situation so I'm still on board for the show right now.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 14, 2016

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Reds posted:

Easy. Dimension W has hype as hell animation and the dude fights with the coolest as goddamn heck wire-fu weapon.

https://u.pomf.is/gxpxws.webm

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Killer Queen posted:

Easy. Dimension W has hype as hell animation and the dude fights with the coolest as goddamn heck wire-fu weapon.

https://u.pomf.is/gxpxws.webm

also the screen wipe transitions are pretty sick

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Two abject failure rpg party shows in one season, weird. Unfortunately, Konosuba and Grimgar aren't nearly as similar as chivalry asterisk was. Grimgar is about mostly nice people (with one obvious exception) who are really weak, while Konosuba is about awful failures of people with high stats. There is also how Grimgar is fairly serious while Konosuba is unquestionably a comedy.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Erg posted:

also the screen wipe transitions are pretty sick

Yeah, I appreciate little animation details like that. Really jazzes up the style.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kytrarewn posted:

It didn't show any reed-making, so it failed on that end. I would have liked it better if she had been up in her room with a reed knife trying to perfect her A=440Hz while the other stuff was going on, moreso than practicing. It'd give the despair an entirely different texture.

I plain didn't like the episode, and this may well be one of my rare dropped shows. It just didn't grab me at all.

If they don't show her derping around with old film canisters filled with water then I will retract the appropriate amount of hype for the show.

Wait a minute lol I'm old everyone has digital cameras nowadays how do the poor oboe players keep their reeds wet now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
AnimeLab's added the first episode of Konosuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World.

• Locked thread