Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

aleksendr posted:

Why do i have this strange urge to start playing hockey again...

I've never played hockey, but I would consider it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6246965/#Comment_6246965

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DigitalMocking posted:

Everyone who has been denied a refund should go here:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information#crnt&panel1-1

I'm filing an FTC complaint, how's this sound for the comments:

Yeah, I have an entire section of how to do this over here:

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2192

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

D_Smart posted:

BREAKING NEWS LIVE FROM PAGE 1305

We were still pinned down behind enemy lines. There has been lots of friendly fire to contend with, though none of the usual suspects (I saw Octopod briefly few pages back, but he barely uttered a word) have been seen.

Then out of nowhere, a bunch of assholes decided to throw every loving meme they could think of, over the header. As the JPEGs rained down, we barely made it under cover as someone quickly grab my arm and pulled me straight into p1306 because some clowns keep throwing 40K related grenades every now and again.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only memes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This thread has some great stuff.

Oh yeah people will be lining up to pay the new full price of $60 for 5 hours of gameplay. That's gonna work out great.

But it's interesting that you're starting to see more critical voices on the RSI forums themselves than in reddit.

But then of course there's always the faithful militant.

:hawaaaafap:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sounds like CIG is pulling the General Motors move in the 80's when releasing 3 different models. Let's share the dome lights, seats, and steering wheel between three different makes thinking the idiot masses will never figure it out.

Guess how that strategy panned out.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

surc posted:

It's a portmanteau of "Star Empire", I think made by european people for whom english is not a first language, I think for some other game. And yes I know it should still be stempire, I didn't make the dang word.

Also, paging that poster with the velma avatar that comes up every time portmanteau is mentioned in this thread.

I honestly think it has something to do with the fact that this guy wants people who touch their genitals to be mutilated. Like he was trying to think of a name for his space-hell, but Galactic Empire was taken or whatever, so he came up with a mix of stimulation and empire.

Thank you, I was pretty proud of that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

:gary: :pgabz: He did it, Reddit! :pgabz: :gary:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Good God. How many times did you have to talk yourself out of jumping?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Did you like the vending machine video I found?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
is no one else finding it weird that a person living in Texas plays hockey?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
will chris roberts implement indoor ice skating rinks in zero G in Star Citizen?!?!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

This thread has some great stuff.

Oh yeah people will be lining up to pay the new full price of $60 for 5 hours of gameplay. That's gonna work out great.

But it's interesting that you're starting to see more critical voices on the RSI forums themselves than in reddit.

But then of course there's always the faithful militant.

:hawaaaafap:
Yeah, it's been interesting to see more dissent on the RSI forums over the past few days. Meanwhile, Reddit is still Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/415qq7/help_cig_make_a_million_or_more_a_month/cyzv3l4

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Gonkish posted:

:gary: :pgabz: He did it, Reddit! :pgabz: :gary:

I love when redditors unironically say this, because it's actually a reference to the major fuckups during the boston bombing,.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Ravane posted:

I love when redditors unironically say this, because it's actually a reference to the major fuckups during the boston bombing,.

the whole Boston bombing fiasco and their crowd sourced mob mentality vigilantism is what made me never want to use reddit ever. watching idiots start posting pictures of brown people all over the internet and labelling them the bombers was hosed up. i remember people sourcing poo poo from that reddit investigation and posting accusations over here on SA too.

i don't remember if i made a post saying what they were doing was dumb as poo poo, but it's likely i did.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 16, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

will chris roberts implement indoor ice skating rinks in zero G in Star Citizen?!?!

I'm mad because I will never get space emus, or space curling for that matter.

BDSGE my rear end.

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012

Iglocska posted:

In the end even a few $100 is not much if you get long term quality entertainment out of it, be it for Horizons or Star Citizen (though with the latter we're yet to see any quality entertainment). What irks me is that Elite is perfect in so many ways (the massive scale, the absolutely bug-free smooth experience), yet they seem to skimp out on the most basic requirement for a good game: the fun gameplay. I see a lot of fans talk about constantly playing Elite and I really want to get into it, but I just don't know what I am missing - what are all these people actually doing in the game?...

Hello from page 1309!

I don't play Elite constantly, but when I do I end up sinking a good 4-5hrs in at a time. Trading for me is a nice little loop I can get lost in. Along the way I might explore a little or there might be pew-pew. It's how I used to play Elite 2 (my first Elite); to me it's just a better one of those games.

Having said that, I still play a lot of Destiny and I couldn't really tell you why I'm still playing that. That's another case of a game with a loop that just hooks you when you load it up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Agrajag posted:

is no one else finding it weird that a person living in Texas plays hockey?

Not really. Indoor ice skating rinks are things that exist.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Agrajag posted:

the whole Boston bombing fiasco and their crowd sourced mob mentality vigilantism is what made me never want to use reddit ever. watching idiots start posting pictures of brown people all over the internet and labelling them the bombers was hosed up. i remember people sourcing poo poo from that reddit investigation and posting accusations over here on SA too.

i don't remember if i made a post saying what they were doing was dumb as poo poo, but it's likely i did.

Yeah, same here. I mentioned earlier that I went to the same college as the guy who was first targeted by reddit. I didn't know him personally, but I saw the messages on his family's facebook wall and it was full of horrible hate speech and death threats. A few weeks later, they found the guy dead, washed ashore on the beach. And nobody apologized. Instead that stupid meme "We did it reddit" was tossed around.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Go to partedveil.com and see their forum posts. Ben is wcloaf and CR is croberts68.

Seriously. You own the site and you STILL have to have numbers in your nick? Seriously?

(And what the hell is Ben's thing with "loaf" other than "meat" and "pinching off a"?)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Reminder that this is still very much a thing:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OperationPitchfork/

New rule you guys. No grips here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Ravane posted:

Yeah, same here. I mentioned earlier that I went to the same college as the guy who was first targeted by reddit. I didn't know him personally, but I saw the messages on his family's facebook wall and it was full of horrible hate speech and death threats. A few weeks later, they found the guy dead, washed ashore on the beach. And nobody apologized. Instead that stupid meme "We did it reddit" was tossed around.

Yeah, I worked there at the time. It was horrible to watch this all go down. And media people who should've known better also took those redditors seriously and reposted it for an even wider audience. No one ever so much as admitted the mistake, let alone apologized.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Samizdata posted:

Seriously. You own the site and you STILL have to have numbers in your nick? Seriously?

(And what the hell is Ben's thing with "loaf" other than "meat" and "pinching off a"?)

born in 1968 maybe?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Guys! Guys! We're at war! WAR!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/313318/declaration-of-war#latest

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Many pages ago and in 1994, Dirt Merchant Games took a shot at a future where there is only war.

Life for the common worker in the Confederacy of Worlds, under Emperor Rupert IX, is hellish. Disco and professional wrestling abound. Imperius Rūp and Morty the Lord High Enquisitor know of those who do not partake in all beef patties with special sauce and cheese on two communion wafers at the Church & Munch, and will have them sentenced to HŌL: the Human Occupied Landfill.

Still better than life clipping through the floor of the Chrisverse.

Holy moly, i was under the impression i was the only person on earth who ever purchased a copy of "HoL" and its various supplements.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 16, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

So I can give up, say "mayonnaise", and have them drop me off at a station... or I can die and be spawned there.

Brilliant loving plan.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

And will the appropriate clothing rule allow you to play hockey in a Slave Leia outfit? This is important before I decide to send you all my bank info as a backer, CIG!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*says mayonnaise, eva's onto ship, shoots pilot, hijacks ship*

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Can you imagine if Chris had just created an updated Freelancer game with an established engine for space games? He'd be riding a tidal wave of cash and everyone would be happy with what he did.

Eric Peterson, and his friends, got the boot and they've already got a playable space game that's fun.

that really one of the better parts

people that quit / were fired from star citizen actually managed to get a space game out before SC

well do you want the BDSSE or what?

dont worry infinity rays, people will never forget the star citizen fiasco

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

These people really were traumatized by EVE like it was a real, literal war, holy poo poo

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Agrajag posted:

born in 1968 maybe?

Figured as much. I just have a deeply irrational hatred of numbers in user names and such. Probably just as irrational as the faith of Star Citizens...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

aleksendr posted:

Holy moly, i was under the impression i was the only person on earth who ever purchased a copy of "HoL" and its various supplements.

You mean "one of the only THREE people on earth".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jason Sextro posted:

These people really were traumatized by EVE like it was a real, literal war, holy poo poo

More like they're constantly doing their best Brando meets Scooby Doo Villain impression..."I could've been a contendah...if it wasn't for those meddlin' GOONS!"

They conveniently leave out the whole 'tried to metagame/backstab and take too much too fast' part of the story. Nope, all 'our' fault.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Tokamak posted:

*says mayonnaise, eva's onto ship, shoots pilot, hijacks ship*

you terrorist

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

:pgabz: (Because it is so adorably funny...)

And lest I forget...

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRP!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So I've been thinking about the "griefer problem".

The sooner CIG can implement this type of ship defense the better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PuqSMB8uU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

Figured as much. I just have a deeply irrational hatred of numbers in user names and such. Probably just as irrational as the faith of Star Citizens...

Aww. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jason Sextro posted:

EVE IS REAL.

See? I told you Eve was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxSyv4LC1c
May hands were shaking . . .

• Locked thread