Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Sometimes we can talk our way around combat, sure, but not always. Problem is, we're a group of only 3 PCs - given the capacity for things to go wrong and someone's character to be injured or out of position it feels like we all need to be capable of pitching in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
How well does using the three base games together work? I got the impression early you're supposed to stick with one core book, but you see manner of archetypes in the movies, so that feels more like Star Wars to me. If so, are you expected to use all of the background subsystems, or just stick to one (I imagine the one that matches the campaign feel the best).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doctor Epitaph posted:

How well does using the three base games together work? I got the impression early you're supposed to stick with one core book, but you see manner of archetypes in the movies, so that feels more like Star Wars to me. If so, are you expected to use all of the background subsystems, or just stick to one (I imagine the one that matches the campaign feel the best).

You can use all three together, and even go so far as using all three background systems I suppose (obligation/duty/morality), but it'll be a bitch for the GM to track. Most people recommend that mixing the classes between the rulebooks is just fine, but for sanity's sake make everyone play using either obligation or duty or morality regardless of class. Morality is also kinda dumb compared to the other two.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Drone posted:

You can use all three together, and even go so far as using all three background systems I suppose (obligation/duty/morality), but it'll be a bitch for the GM to track. Most people recommend that mixing the classes between the rulebooks is just fine, but for sanity's sake make everyone play using either obligation or duty or morality regardless of class. Morality is also kinda dumb compared to the other two.

I can understand combining obligation and duty, since that can and will create some interesting scenarios of "do I help the people I'm working for and piss off jabba, or do I gently caress them over for some extra money and ruin their day" kinda things, ala Han. Morality thought just kinda seems like boring numbers that give you numbers.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Fuzz posted:

The idea I had for the Post RotJ game was a band of characters taking odd jobs around the Galaxy to begin with, but with certain characters needing to have certain (very) rough archetypes and aspects to their backstories to link to the narrative. I don't want to say more because it would spoil the movie.

Just put me down on the list as a player <_<

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I have gmed a few games, mostly Skype with friends, and I mostly mix duty or obligation with Morality if you pick up a Force Rating. So if everyone wants to play with Obligation we play with that. If everyone wants to play with Duty we play with that. Then morality is a tertiary one for those with the force.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

I have gmed a few games, mostly Skype with friends, and I mostly mix duty or obligation with Morality if you pick up a Force Rating. So if everyone wants to play with Obligation we play with that. If everyone wants to play with Duty we play with that. Then morality is a tertiary one for those with the force.

So, do you have everyone take duty/obligation and then add Morality on top of that if they pick up force specs? That kinda seems like the way to go for me.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

That's what I have going on in my game right now. Everyone started with Obligation then they all wanted to roll with the Rebels so they picked up Duty. Then one of my players finally sprang for the Force and I started tracking her Morality.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Finster Dexter posted:

So, do you have everyone take duty/obligation and then add Morality on top of that if they pick up force specs? That kinda seems like the way to go for me.

One of duty/obligation, but yeah. One game is all about imperial defectors trying to escape an oppressive empire and survive, so I let them use AoR specs and stuff, but they have Obligation because the tone is more EotE. I also have a game starting that is all about people in the formation of the rebellion, and there's some EotE guys who have Duty because they are Rebels.

One of the defectors is force sensitive now, and has a morality being tracked too.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It looks like every class is pretty balanced and nothing is really strong. Am I wrong? If so, what is an amazing power/skill/career/race?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

It looks like every class is pretty balanced and nothing is really strong. Am I wrong? If so, what is an amazing power/skill/career/race?

If you want to min/max, pick Droid. It's what they exist for.

The price of being able to start with 5 of in your attribute of choice, however, is that you're gonna be really, really lovely at everything else, and also restraining bolts are a thing that exist.

A buddy who has always loved min-maxing dropped in for a game, he created his character first, and we built the one-shot around it.

The P3N Series of gladiator droids are collectors' items, and Bulwark the Hutt wants to see how Model 15 performs.

Turns out Brawl 5 means the answer is "pretty good, actually," though the process of getting him -to- the arena was a real pain in the rear end.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ButtWolf posted:

Characters are only imbalanced relative to the rest of the party and the campaign, if that makes sense. In a more social campaign, a combat powerhouse is worse than the jack of all trades, who in turn is worse than the face. Face characters do have some options for handing out boosts to the party, and thugs can Intimidate people.

In general, a high Agility, a high Intellect, or a high Brawn is the key to early game spotlight-hogging and being "really strong," since more (and more important) things hang off those characteristics. This matters more than power/skill/career/race. Not having to breathe is definitely a plus in a game with a limitless anoxic expanse (i.e. space), though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ze Pollack posted:

If you want to min/max, pick Droid. It's what they exist for.

The price of being able to start with 5 of in your attribute of choice, however, is that you're gonna be really, really lovely at everything else, and also restraining bolts are a thing that exist.

A buddy who has always loved min-maxing dropped in for a game, he created his character first, and we built the one-shot around it.

The P3N Series of gladiator droids are collectors' items, and Bulwark the Hutt wants to see how Model 15 performs.

Turns out Brawl 5 means the answer is "pretty good, actually," though the process of getting him -to- the arena was a real pain in the rear end.

I would never bother playing with a buddy like this, at least if they only minmaxed for combat. An Astromech that's the poo poo at hacking and navigating? Hell yeah, you're cool, welcome to the team, not-R2.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
By the way, if you're looking for EotE plothooks, looks like Rebels Season 2 will be delivering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

susan posted:

By the way, if you're looking for EotE plothooks, looks like Rebels Season 2 will be delivering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U

Whaaaa?? :gowron:

Was that Darth Maul?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

Whaaaa?? :gowron:

Was that Darth Maul?

I was actually thinking Snoke. ...Could Maul be Snoke?

But also: Secret Grey Jedi Temple active during the Rebellion, WTF????????

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

susan posted:

I was actually thinking Snoke. ...Could Maul be Snoke?

But also: Secret Grey Jedi Temple active during the Rebellion, WTF????????

You can kinda see the tattoos under that hood, I think.

So much "WTF" in this trailer.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

You can kinda see the tattoos under that hood, I think.

So much "WTF" in this trailer.

Rewatched and paused, you're right, Maul 100%. But still, this means he's alive, and on the very short list of cannon Force Users still around. Could be a Snoke connection. Also, there was clearly a third Inquisitor squaring off with Ashoka, Ezra, and Kanan, who just so happened to have a convenient mask over his face who could be a baby Snoke. Or, gently caress it, maybe Ezra is Snoke, what with the whole being born at the exact same time as Luke and Leia and wielding that tri-saber in the Trailer.

...That's not actually a bad theory... ...Hmm...

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The problem with any "X goes on to become Snoke" theory is that it necessitates that character voluntarily changing their name to Snoke

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Filoni has stated that Rebels will be Snoke-free.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know offhand if the Xerol Nightstinger sniper rifle has gotten FFG stats anywhere?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think we just have E-11S and some sporting blaster rifles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man...I hope the bounty hunter book adds some cool snipers. And I've always loved the Nightstinger

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Weird/trivial setting query: My new Fantasy Flight Star Wars GM and I have massively different ideas of how crazy reckless you'd have to be to perform rebel activity on Coruscant, which is where our new game begins

I think you'd have to be mad to try to smuggle cargo/commit treason/etc in the capital of a police/surveillance state, and that you're more than likely to be picked up almost instantly. He thinks it's probably happens all the time.

I have no issue suspending my disbelief for the sake of fun, but am I massively overestimating the power of the dark side empire?

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 16, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Weird setting query: My new Fantasy Flight Star Wars GM and I have massively different ideas of how crazy reckless you'd have to be to perform rebel activity on Coruscant, which is where our new game begins

I think you'd have to be mad to try to smuggle cargo/commit treason/etc in the capital of a police/surveillance state, and that you're more than likely to be picked up almost instantly. He thinks it's probably happens all the time.

I have no issue suspending my disbelief for the sake of fun, but am I massively overestimating the power of the dark side empire?

Depends where on Coruscant you are doing so. In the high-rise, middle class bits? Sure, it's probably suicide there. But don't forget, this is a city the size of a planet: Thats means there are whole continents of slums, working-class areas, abandoned industrial zones (which used to make weapons for the Clone Wars, which is why its still so easy to find weapons), sewers, and other places to hide. In the concrete jungle, the crowd itself is your shield. That doesn't mean you don't have to watch your step: Spend too long in a rich enough area, or hit the very centres of power, and you will be crushed. But in a Planet-City, there is ample room to hide and strike the industrial and financial base of the Empire.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Not to mention the further reaches of the undercity, which probably don't even qualify as "civilization" anymore.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Corbeau posted:

Not to mention the further reaches of the undercity, which probably don't even qualify as "civilization" anymore.

Yeah during the Republic there were already places in the Lower City where gangs were law and no guards travelled to. This got worse in the EU, when Palpatine took over, because he cared even less for the suffering of the poor in the lower and under cities.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Oh yeah, that all makes sense and tracks with the sort of stuff we were doing. Thanks for preserving my ~verisimilitude~.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Plus if your GM ever wants he can launch a rakghoul attack on you if you ever delve too deep.

Fun for everyone!

Mostly the rakghouls.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Roach Warehouse posted:

The problem with any "X goes on to become Snoke" theory is that it necessitates that character voluntarily changing their name to Snoke

Ezra Bridger has to bridge the gap between something, it would be neat if kid-trained-by-knockoff-of-failed-jedi-order-ideas became leader-of-knockoff-failed-empire-ideas.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Filoni has stated that Rebels will be Snoke-free.

But he would say that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Roach Warehouse posted:

Weird/trivial setting query: My new Fantasy Flight Star Wars GM and I have massively different ideas of how crazy reckless you'd have to be to perform rebel activity on Coruscant, which is where our new game begins

Remember that Coruscant has literally a trillion citizens.
A trillion.
Even with a massive surveillance state there are just be too many people for a government to keep track of everyone at all times.
Also the planet is in no was self-sufficient. There are thousands of ships coming in and out every hour of every day. It would be impossible for Imperial forces to search them all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

According to the old (mostly EU "Legends," like Shadows of the Empire) most ships were actually heavily scanned and there was a multi layered security throughout the entire system with multiple levels of scans, mostly for weaponry and explosives. Drugs could get in because who cares, but weapons are another matter.

Once on the planet, different story entirely. I could see a Corscant underground campaign working well, as most stuff comes from offworld but it's pretty secure and regulated, so the existing supply of illegal arms is sort of stable and they just keep changing hands, same for goods or territory. The Empire generally had a policy of exterminate/blast them out of the sky before asking questions or investigating, so it would be high risk/reward.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I would never bother playing with a buddy like this, at least if they only minmaxed for combat. An Astromech that's the poo poo at hacking and navigating? Hell yeah, you're cool, welcome to the team, not-R2.

Let he whose solution to a bulkhead slamming down on the party cannot be "I bench-press it" cast the first stone. Mostly because the stone is less likely to achieve escape velocity that way.

The DM ruled that the Triumph on that check indicated the facility's central computer realizing that every door it put between us and our objective was another door that would need a couple days' attention from a repair crew, and replacement parts that did not grow on trees, and as such granting us unrestricted access as long as we didn't break any more of its stuff.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
In my Death Watch game we had to secure the bridge of an enemy ship we has just violently boarded. The bridge was secured behind a thick blast door. Rather than use our explosives and risk damage to ourselves we just had one of our kill team rip said blast door out of its frame, and toss it aside.

Their were no surviving heretics.

Whatever is fun for the players and advances the story.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Ze Pollack posted:

Let he whose solution to a bulkhead slamming down on the party cannot be "I bench-press it" cast the first stone.

I just want to point out this is exactly how JJ Abrams broke his back during filming of TFA.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
One of my players wants to investigate playing X-wing for the space combats in this as kind of a test run for using flightpath for our Crimson Skies (Crimson Spies) campaigns air combat.

I'd like the players stats to mean something in terms of X-wing, and I was thinking of something like this. (Obviously this question is only relevant to people that know that game, I assume some of you do.)

"after revealing your dial, you may make a pilot check (difficulty 2) to change your dial. increase the difficulty if your new dial turn also changes direction left/right, or if you select a red maneuver."

I do like X-wing a whole lot, but It feels like it's going to add a whole bunch of time to a fairly fast system though. It's also going to invalidate so many piloting based talents I would have thought.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
My gut feeling is that a lot of attention would be put in a completely different place: game mechanics over roleplaying. It usually happens when you use a wargame inside an RPG. If you're okay with that, then I don't see why not.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I stand by treating space combat as if it's FTL, the video game. Piloting checks add dodge modifiers and make it harder for enemy ships to hit you, everyone else is running around manning various systems at any given time, making rolls to keep the shields up or jam missile locks or whatever. Treat the 3D space like FTL as well, with everything centered on your ship and range banding for the enemy ships when it comes to Gunnery checks. Maneuvers around larger ships or whatever all turn into bonuses that abstract into this setup.

Keeps everyone feeling useful and having fun, and it's not all just the pilot making rolls and everyone else sitting around.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I stand by treating space combat as if it's FTL, the video game. Piloting checks add dodge modifiers and make it harder for enemy ships to hit you, everyone else is running around manning various systems at any given time, making rolls to keep the shields up or jam missile locks or whatever. Treat the 3D space like FTL as well, with everything centered on your ship and range banding for the enemy ships when it comes to Gunnery checks. Maneuvers around larger ships or whatever all turn into bonuses that abstract into this setup.

Keeps everyone feeling useful and having fun, and it's not all just the pilot making rolls and everyone else sitting around.

I stand by this being better than space combat as-written, but still not as good as not bothering with space combat at all or, if you must, giving everyone his own ship. FTL is fun because you are managing all the people; being just one of those dudes shuttling between two stations for a "do I fix the leak that sprung" roll for your turn is not a well you can go to often.

Edit: and yes, X-Wing Miniatures would invalidate piloting talents and suck up a lot of time for the most attrition-y repetitive facet of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

homullus posted:

I stand by this being better than space combat as-written, but still not as good as not bothering with space combat at all or, if you must, giving everyone his own ship. FTL is fun because you are managing all the people; being just one of those dudes shuttling between two stations for a "do I fix the leak that sprung" roll for your turn is not a well you can go to often.

Edit: and yes, X-Wing Miniatures would invalidate piloting talents and suck up a lot of time for the most attrition-y repetitive facet of the game.

True, but you keep it fast paced and don't linger on each action.... make it all at breakneck speed to keep the OOC tension high to match the IC situation, and it works. Not in a PbP, obviously.