Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

golovkin-esque. beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend heavyweights that stay to the outside and work jabs, lots of footwork and wearing an opponent down while avoiding trading combinations? I've seen Ali's fights of course, but a lot of the fighters known for having good jabs as heavyweights don't seem to combine it with out fighting (Liston, Foreman, and Louis all have great jabs, but they're all coming towards you, not staying away). I've only seen a handful of Lennox Lewis fights, maybe I should check that out. Maybe Roy Jones? I'll go back as far a you tube will let me so name anybody - and while I'd prefer heavy weights great boxing is great boxing so don't let that stop you, I'm mostly asking for them because I feel like I see this style more in lighter guys but not so much in the heavyweights.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That description fits current heavyweight champion Tyson Fury

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone recommend heavyweights that stay to the outside and work jabs, lots of footwork and wearing an opponent down while avoiding trading combinations? I've seen Ali's fights of course, but a lot of the fighters known for having good jabs as heavyweights don't seem to combine it with out fighting (Liston, Foreman, and Louis all have great jabs, but they're all coming towards you, not staying away). I've only seen a handful of Lennox Lewis fights, maybe I should check that out. Maybe Roy Jones? I'll go back as far a you tube will let me so name anybody - and while I'd prefer heavy weights great boxing is great boxing so don't let that stop you, I'm mostly asking for them because I feel like I see this style more in lighter guys but not so much in the heavyweights.

Chris Byrd

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

1) Naoya Inoue is a monster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFs7HvjQj4o

2) Pac-Bradley III is offically happening. Our only hope is a super entertaining 24/7 and Face-Off between Roach and Atlas

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/14466675/manny-pacquiao-fight-timothy-bradley-jr-third-april-9-mgm-grand

That was a cool fight thanks for posting it!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It seems that both of the fighters I was recommend have beaten a Klitscko but I think I'll only be catching up on one of them.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So you don't have to actually watch this boring fight, here are some gifs of Fury frustrating Klitschko 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

These highlights aren't super incredible, but it's more about the footwork than the punches.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

These highlights aren't super incredible, but it's more about the footwork than the punches.

Oh, wow, thanks. For a fight that doesn't seem highly regarded this clips are great, yeah those are perfect.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Larry Holmes could move in or out with his jab. He was pretty versatile, but was quite good at fencing with the jab at range and pivoting out of trouble.

Watch round 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokRWtl_Rqw
Holmes does a good job of stymieing Spinks with a wide array of jabs and clinching when Spinks moves in too fast for him to walk away from.

ooh, first few rounds of this is better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpiy6gBQcfU
The pat/trap he does with his right on an incoming jab and putting his jab on the neck of his opponent to eliminate the right hand are both really nice.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 31, 2015

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

That Inoue fight was something. Would want to see him again, especially if they could figure out a way to get him in there against Chocolatito. Not sure where that would be a big money fight outside of Japan but yeesh.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 31, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Working on the 2016 thread, should be done in the next few days. Hope you all had a good holiday season!

I'm pretty excited for Pacquiao-Bradley III and will probably go see it in Vegas just like the second fight. Everyone here knows I'm a big fan of the Desert Storm, I've been talking him up for years and in my opinion he's more than come through. He's the Marvin Hagler of this generation, a fighter who takes on challenges for respect more than anything else. He's already a first-ballot Hall of Famer imo. No matter what anyone says about bad decisions, the first Pacquiao-Bradley fight was very competitive all the way through, with a lot of debatable rounds that could be scored either way. The second fight was also competitive, at least until Tim abandoned the gameplan of fighting for a decision and instead went all-in on trying to Marquez Manny out.

I think Bradley has benefited from taking tough fighters in Chaves and Vargas, and I think beating Rios the way he did, with a new trainer, will give Bradley some extra assurance going into the third fight. I'm putting my money on Bradley, but I have a feeling the odds will be a lot closer on this fight than the previous ones.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I remember the first pac-bradley fight I read Ninth's writeup on bradley, got hyped and bet a friend that Bradley would win. I won, but it was a shameful win and I think I ended up refusing the money.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

The Ninth Layer posted:

Everyone here knows I'm a big fan of the Desert Storm, I've been talking him up for years and in my opinion he's more than come through. He's the Marvin Hagler of this generation, a fighter who takes on challenges for respect more than anything else

ducked khan tho

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So Golovkin's now trying to get a fight with Billy Joe Saunders (The new WBO Middleweight champ) in April en route to his September fight with Canelo. BJS is of course dancing around this by asking for more concessions from GGG, but this gives hope to the possibility of the middleweight belts unifying this year. Exciting.

BJS specific demands are more than the original offer (3mil) or for the fight to happen in england. Golovkin strikes me as the kind of guy who cares more about the belts than the money or getting his way in negotiations so I don't think it's totally out of the question.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

You would have to figure GGG would either give him the money and use it as the Monaco fight, or he'd go to England. I find it hard to believe BJS is really going to go through with it though. It didn't really seem like he wanted much to do with him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

gtkor posted:

You would have to figure GGG would either give him the money and use it as the Monaco fight, or he'd go to England. I find it hard to believe BJS is really going to go through with it though. It didn't really seem like he wanted much to do with him.

Unfortunately I think it's probably in his best interest not to take the fight and I think he knows that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJuwAz-ekoQ#t=0m34s

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Unfortunately I think it's probably in his best interest not to take the fight and I think he knows that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJuwAz-ekoQ#t=0m34s

Well, he's not wrong.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ggg was willing to fight barker in england for 100 tickets and some advertising or something. bjs may as well make audacious demands tbh

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jack B Nimble posted:

Lewis - Tua is worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4F37g9jUM

As Kimbo305 has already said, Holmes was great with his jab. His fight against Randall 'Tex' Cobb was a masterclass, admittedly Cobb was a limited fighter but very tough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOqZ1Q9OHkQ

At the lower weights Niccolino Locche was something special, minimal movement to keep away from the punches - not a great jabber just an awesome defensive fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnK7xuNJLO0

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
New York times just put up an interesting piece about what happened between the end of the Mike Perez-Magomed Abdusalamov fight and when he fell into a coma.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/sports/magomed-abdusalamov-boxing-madison-square-garden.html?referer=https://t.co/aavGIaPK2I

EDIT: How loving ghoulish is this?

quote:

Farrago, the boxing inspector, watches and thinks, in the parlance of boxing, that Mago is “a good bleeder.” He snaps a quick cellphone photograph of the private moment, in abuse of his official position.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 9, 2016

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Showtime will be streaming Wilder- Artie Szpilka and Martin-Glazkov on youtube so thats cool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/40pcm9/showtime_will_stream_saturday_nights_title_fights/

remember
Nov 23, 2006
I'm going to see it live. Is Szpilka as bad as the odds make him out to be? I've looked at his highlights and he doesn't seem like a particularly good boxer but I also don't really know Wilder either.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's been a long spring

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's coming along. Was out of town for the past weekend.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

david haye is back tomorrow to spark some life into the long dead heavyweight division. truss.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Is either fight tomorrow liable to be good?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

so loving future posted:

Is either fight tomorrow liable to be good?

Not sure which two fights you mean or what your definition of good is but here's what to expect:

Wilder-Szpilka: High action with KO finish. A mismatch, but not a terrible one. Szpilka has a puncher's chance, making the fight better than the previous Wilder fights but not a "Good Fight"
Glazkov-Martin: A styles match up which should be fairly competitive on paper. One of them will be a title holder at the end but neither will deserve it. This is the least predictable fight in my view.
Haye-De Mori: Depending on how Haye has faired while out of the ring, this one should be decent action with an early KO finish. Least competitive fight scheduled, but if you're interested in seeing Haye back in the ring and want to see him knock somebody out then sure.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Not sure which two fights you mean or what your definition of good is but here's what to expect:

Wilder-Szpilka: High action with KO finish. A mismatch, but not a terrible one. Szpilka has a puncher's chance, making the fight better than the previous Wilder fights but not a "Good Fight"
Glazkov-Martin: A styles match up which should be fairly competitive on paper. One of them will be a title holder at the end but neither will deserve it. This is the least predictable fight in my view.
Haye-De Mori: Depending on how Haye has faired while out of the ring, this one should be decent action with an early KO finish. Least competitive fight scheduled, but if you're interested in seeing Haye back in the ring and want to see him knock somebody out then sure.

Oh right, forgot about Glazkov-Martin. Thanks.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Worth noting that all aforementioned fights (and some unremarkable undercard bout from the haye fight) will be streaming for free on youtube.

Links:

Haye-De Mori

Wilder-Szpilka and Glazkov-Martin

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Any idea what time these fights are supposed to happen?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

4pm EST for Haye-De Mori (probably an undercard fight or two first? unsure)
10pm EST for Wilder-Szpilka/Glazkov-Martin

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

think i read haye is on at half 9 uk time

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

thehappyprince posted:

think i read haye is on at half 9 uk time

gently caress, I'm not going to be home for it.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

if you've got an android phone you can download some app to watch it on one of those 360 cameras i think.

the arena is full lol. i can't believe so many people have turned up

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"I'm not here to make friends"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This is sure taking a long time to start. Great turnout though. I appreciate them showing us the live arena feed instead of bombarding us with ads.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

This is sure taking a long time to start. Great turnout though. I appreciate them showing us the live arena feed instead of bombarding us with ads.

Usually they fill this time with another boxing match, but I guess that's passe now

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

unbelievable scenes

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well done David Haye. Looked good for one round, but I think that may say more about his opponent. Let's hear you call out Tyson Fury.

• Locked thread