Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

thespaceinvader posted:

Can anyone recommend a fineliner brand (available in the UK) that works on painted surfaces? I got started finelining the panels on my Lambda Shuttle and promptly killed two fineliners in a row before getting halfway through - and they clearly still have ink in, as my floor ably demonstrates where I was trying to shake some life into them!

Why don't you just use a wash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Colonial Air Force posted:

Can we do an XB-70 for the next craplane?

E: So many options: http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

I think finding this in a crapkit price point would be difficult. Italeri makes one in 1/72, but that's crazy huge.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Why don't you just use a wash?

a: I don't have any; they have all run out and I've not been able to order more yet and b: fineliners look way better for panel lines on large mechanical objects.

I know I've seen people talk about using them for things like this, and for things like pupils and so forth, but I've not yet managed to find a brand which doesn't dry up almost instantly on contact with acrylic paints.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think finding this in a crapkit price point would be difficult. Italeri makes one in 1/72, but that's crazy huge.

Aren't you guys due to do a shitboat next anyway?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

thespaceinvader posted:

... and b: fineliners look way better for panel lines on large mechanical objects.

Ugh... well, *cough*.... :ssh: no they don't.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

Aren't you guys due to do a shitboat next anyway?

Shitboat or crapcar! So many choices

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ugh... well, *cough*.... :ssh: no they don't.

Fair enough.

This still doesn't help when I'm currently halfway through doing it on one of my ships and the fineliners I was using keep loving drying out on me irretreivably, so I'd still like some advice as regards a brand that won't ;)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

thespaceinvader posted:

Fair enough.

This still doesn't help when I'm currently halfway through doing it on one of my ships and the fineliners I was using keep loving drying out on me irretreivably, so I'd still like some advice as regards a brand that won't ;)

Is there any way to fix them? Like soak the ends in alcohol or something?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to fix them? Like soak the ends in alcohol or something?

Might be worth a punt. I've no idea what went wrong with them.

Also don't have any alcohol, so it will have to wait.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't know how fine the Fineliners are, but you could always pick up a Pigma Micron pen. They carry those at most craft/art stores.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know how fine the Fineliners are, but you could always pick up a Pigma Micron pen. They carry those at most craft/art stores.

I'll see if I can find one. Thanks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are those the ones recommended for gundam kits? Something tells me the gundam thread would know anyways.

ETA: Years back a friend of mine used to do his Eldar vehicles with an oldschool inkwell pen knib and a pot of ink. Might work the same for you?

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 20, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I've used a pencil for panel lines, I quite liked the effect. You can rub off any excess with blutack or something.

edit:

pencil on the left

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 20, 2016

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

For all you wooden ship makers, here is a link to the collection of old-timey ship models of the Rijksmuseum

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken?p=1&ps=12&role=modelmaker&ii=0

It has some really cool stuff in there!

Molentik fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 20, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh god I should have gone when I was in amsterdam, so expensive though :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Are those the ones recommended for gundam kits? Something tells me the gundam thread would know anyways.

ETA: Years back a friend of mine used to do his Eldar vehicles with an oldschool inkwell pen knib and a pot of ink. Might work the same for you?

Yes to both. Some people swear by the Koh-i-noor Rapidograph pens but I've never tried it personally. Lots of Micron love though. Get the smallest one (.005 inch).

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

Can we do an XB-70 for the next craplane?

E: So many options: http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

Tempting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I finally finished my diorama. Well, but finished I mean figured it was good enough after leaving it for over a year and then getting around to take pictures a month after that, but "finished" sounds a lot better :P

The setting is early spring, 1943, around Leningrad, a Tiger recently shipped over from Africa (the extra air filters are still on) was abandoned on the road due to a breakdown. The driver is examining this rare beast, while the infantry squad commander is feeling a little more practical and sending his guys out to see if the tank crew got far. An old knocked out BT tank sits in the background, covered by rust and snow.

That Intel sticker has since worn off my laptop, that's how long it's been since I started.

Those of you with keen eyes will notice the backlog in the background, and also that I have finished all of those kits by now.

Ta-da!

The rest of the pictures are in the album because there's a ton of them.

The kits are from all over the place. The snowed over tank is a Zvezda BT-7 that I completely botched many years ago when I was just starting out, and the only role it's really fit to play is "vague snow-covered silhouette". The dismounting soldiers are Tamiya figures from about a year after that, the truck and driver being Zvezda from about two years ago. The Tiger is a bit more recent, about a year old, from some lovely company called Idea. I got it because it cost $9, and you really get what you pay for. I'll cover it in a little more detail later, but I didn't mind covering it in snow for this diorama.

Naturally, I learned no lessons from this whatsoever, and my next diorama is going to be even bigger, but hopefully not as messy. Maybe this time I'll finish in under a year, who knows!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Nice compact scene.

Now I ignored all advice and impulse bought:

Using the most rudimentary of tools (and cameras apparently) I've built it up to here:

The Dragon kit has been OK but the instructions are crap and to do the model full justice you'd almost have to build it twice. The worst mistake on my behalf so far was somehow losing the end off one of the suspension structs:

I'll have to scratch build something to cover this up. Photo etch was a complete novelty and I haven't started on the 'magic' tracks. I plan to leave the tracks until I have painted the majority of the model and to assemble the wheels, tracks, guards and accessories once I have the majority of the painting done. Hence:

I can't finish a bunch of things until I get some body filler but my chief hold up has been my chosen model shop not having an airbrush in stock since well before Xmas. I'm probably going to side step them and order one on-line elsewhere. There is no model shop within a reasonable drive of where I live and I purchase occasional stuff when I'm in other cities (like this impulse bought Stug).

So I thought I could build the tracks by putting some sarron/cling/glad wrap on the wheels and then making the whole track in two parts so that I could take it off and paint it then reassemble it. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I built and painted my last models 30 years ago so I only have a vague idea of what I'm doing.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Cartoon posted:

So I thought I could build the tracks by putting some sarron/cling/glad wrap on the wheels and then making the whole track in two parts so that I could take it off and paint it then reassemble it. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I'm building a Dragon Stug with Magic Tracks as well at the moment, and I attached the wheels but left the sprocket unglued to I can take it off to remove the tracks to paint them separately. This way you can paint the whole model and do the tracks last.

When gluing the links it helps to have something to align them with like a steel ruler, or take a little time and build a jig so they are all nice and square. Make short runs from 10/15 links and attach those bits together before they fully set. If you wait a little it becomes easier to get a proper sag of the tracks over the return rollers without the tracks falling apart.

I worked from the sprockets back over the return rollers and did the bottom last, joining the start and end of the tracks on the underside so it's easier to attach the two ends.

Also, take the time to sand away the (faint) ejection marks on the inside of the tracks. It will take some time but really improves the the final result imho.

If you want I can take some photos when I get back from work!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Molentik posted:

Also, take the time to sand away the (faint) ejection marks on the inside of the tracks. It will take some time but really improves the the final result imho.
:stonk: (I'll do it but :stonk:)

Molentik posted:

If you want I can take some photos when I get back from work!
:justpost:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

a: I don't have any; they have all run out and I've not been able to order more yet

You take your broken fineliners ink thingy, snip it apart and dump it in water. You now have a wash.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That snow effect on those vehicles look awesome. What's your method? What did you use for snow?

I've got a 1:72 Tiger that I'm just about to start the finishing touches on and I've been tempted to go the winter route.

Great work man.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Molentik posted:

For all you wooden ship makers, here is a link to the collection of old-timey ship models of the Rijksmuseum

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken?p=1&ps=12&role=modelmaker&ii=0

It has some really cool stuff in there!

Thanks for the link.

It's pretty amazing how many great models were preserved from the age of sail, and all over the world too. That one you pictured is pretty cool, I've never seen a 'split' model done like that before. I've seen a lot of half-hulls, but never both halves presented together, good stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

That snow effect on those vehicles look awesome. What's your method? What did you use for snow?

I've got a 1:72 Tiger that I'm just about to start the finishing touches on and I've been tempted to go the winter route.

Great work man.

Baking soda, sprinkled on diluted white glue. A weird effect happened with my flat varnish where some of it got absorbed into the top layer and fell off, so maybe in the future I'd do multiple coats. I didn't want the windows of the truck to fog up too much.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Have some tiny things I did a while back and forgot to post. All are Airfix 1:whatever the gently caress arbitrary number they slap on the box scale.

Background bonus: My desk.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Well, that sure is an Airfix. Good paint job though, definitely try some higher quality models. Maybe use these ones to practice some weathering.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Unfortunately the batteries of my camera ran out, so STUG pictures have to wait until tomorrow...

On the other hand I managed to find loads of very detailed technical drawings of my great-grandfathers ship the Hr.Ms. Arend, a 'opiumhunter' of the Gouverment Navy in the Dutch East-Indies (a civil navy that was militarized shortly before the war). I'm definitely going to (try to) build a section of this ship as a homage to my great-grandfather....in 1/35 or 1/6 scale....because scale modeling is a mental disease...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm home sick so I drank my wife's left-over coffee from this morning (I don't react well to coffee) and got an energy surge and did the basic wiring for my choo choo.

Which let me do this, the first run of a train on this layout!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtFDqsR62W8

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's a lot quieter than the trains that run past the back of my house. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Scale speed, scale noise. CHOO CHOO :ssh:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do any train modelers have scenes on their layout where a train just minced a car to shreds?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do any train modelers have scenes on their layout where a train just minced a car to shreds?

Why do you hate cars?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I've just finished priming my Vampire. However I don't actually have a great selection of paints...

So do I attempt to paint this thing up using nothing but blue, red, black, white and dark grey paints (and a silver marker) or actually go buy some more colours?

For reference they're Vallejo model air but I'm hand painting at the moment because my airbrush isn't set up.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Luminaflare posted:

So I've just finished priming my Vampire. However I don't actually have a great selection of paints...

So do I attempt to paint this thing up using nothing but blue, red, black, white and dark grey paints (and a silver marker) or actually go buy some more colours?

For reference they're Vallejo model air but I'm hand painting at the moment because my airbrush isn't set up.

Make do with what you've got and have at it!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pierzak posted:

Why do you hate cars?

Just curious, since it seems every miniature train layout has got some sort of off-color scene hidden somewhere. A lot of train miniature manufacturers have an "adult" section where you can buy minis of say a murder scene, or a couple loving on a blanket, or kids in a tree peeping on a naked lady, or bums lying around drunkenly.

I could just see a little scene on a siding where there's a crumpled car against the front of the train, with the conductor and looky-loos standing around it, and ace photojournalist Scoop Chang taking pics with his old-timey flashbulb camera (wired up with LED for real flash action).

EDIT:

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 21, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

School buses are loving tough, it turns out.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

It turns out that mounting an engine and some wheels to a structural steel I-beam makes for a real good chassis.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Put the scattered remains of a DeLorean just after a bridge over a gorge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Luminaflare posted:

I think it could be more important to wash your model first with water and a little bit of dishwasher liquid to remove any grease/mold release agent etc so the paint grips better. Then paint the whole thing in an even colour, doesn't matter which, and let it properly cure for a day or so.