Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Blhue posted:

I'd drop it if it weren't for the fact the only other Thursday shows are shorts. Might still do so

Er? Erased/BokuMachi is a long format Thursday show. And super! duper! good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

Er? Erased/BokuMachi is a long format Thursday show. And super! duper! good.

Also, Lupin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Active Raid feels a little off to me. It is the same basic premise as patlabor, but unlike patlabor all the outcry about their incompetence seems largely unwarranted. In the first episode, they strictly followed procedure and all the red tape is what allowed the criminals to run free for so long. In the second, it was the fault of a rookie who refused to listen, so that obviously wasn't the cause of their bad reputation. In the third, it was entirely the fault of the press who received a terrorist threat and then didn't report it, plus most of the damage was caused by the criminal anyway. I'm not expecting it to be as good as patlabor, obviously. That would be insane. But the cast of this show aren't loose cannons or incompetent yet everyone treats them as such for no discernable reason. Again, it just feels off.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's because they blow up a lot of buildings which usually doesn't go down well even if you're following procedure.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Erased seemed like a show best marathoned once it's over, and I haven't caught up on lupin yet

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Active Raid feels a little off to me. It is the same basic premise as patlabor, but unlike patlabor all the outcry about their incompetence seems largely unwarranted. In the first episode, they strictly followed procedure and all the red tape is what allowed the criminals to run free for so long. In the second, it was the fault of a rookie who refused to listen, so that obviously wasn't the cause of their bad reputation. In the third, it was entirely the fault of the press who received a terrorist threat and then didn't report it, plus most of the damage was caused by the criminal anyway. I'm not expecting it to be as good as patlabor, obviously. That would be insane. But the cast of this show aren't loose cannons or incompetent yet everyone treats them as such for no discernable reason. Again, it just feels off.

Yeah, most of the time they receive far more poo poo than they deserve. I think in the show it's stated that they get the dirty jobs that other people and precincts don't want to deal with. All of the cases we've seen have been high visibility and had a very good chance of collateral damage, so it seems like they've just been set up as designated scapegoats for the city. Hence, why they don't want any of the staff member's identities getting leaked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, 'we put on an impromptu idol performance to distract the thirsty, naked otaku in the powersuit' is the sort of tactic that takes a lot of explaining to the tabloid press. At that point, from a PR perspective, you're probably better off just engaging in some good old-fashioned police brutality.

It does heighten that weird conflict about how grounded this show wants to actually be, though, which crops up in pretty much every element of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's because they blow up a lot of buildings which usually doesn't go down well even if you're following procedure.

They blew up a condemned building in the first episode. In the second, the rookie made a mistake but that obviously didn't create their preexisting reputation. In the third, it was mostly the criminal who did it before anyone else got there. The cops barely caused any damage at all, and they certainly didn't miss shots or blow holes in walls. Even the idea of using the dumb rookie as a distraction instead of letting her go nuts again was pretty sound. I can see what they are going for, but it just isn't working.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was oddly realistic how the captain (or whatever she is) had to go around apologizing to the people whose dithering the day before was the cause for most of the destruction, though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Active Raid feels a little off to me. It is the same basic premise as patlabor, but unlike patlabor all the outcry about their incompetence seems largely unwarranted.

That seems to be what the show is going for in order to set up more of a general conflict, even if it doesn't blow up in their faces until much later.

They're not as incompetent at being police officers as the media thinks, but they still end up involved in a bunch of wacky situation that cause chaos.

Anyway, the third episode was still entertaining and continued to be amusing, though with a few obvious production shortcuts. The next one seems interesting.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It was oddly realistic how the captain (or whatever she is) had to go around apologizing to the people whose dithering the day before was the cause for most of the destruction, though.

yeah, i really like the office politics that they keep putting in the show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rie Matsumoto is directing a 25 minute BBB OAD, to be released June 3 with a BBB "guidebook." The OAD is titled "King of the Restaurant of Kings," and is going to adapt a standalone chapter of the same title from volume 8 of the manga.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ohh, that should be fun.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i never expected the best crossdresser in anime to be in active raid

how i wish this could be reality, where it's public knowledge a celebrity idol is crossdressing and everyone is a-okay with that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yes, because an idol's public image is based on their personal beliefs.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yes, because an idol's public image is based on their personal beliefs.

Yeah, I wish we lived in a world where crossdresing was just something male actors had to do to get anywhere in their career

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, I wish we lived in a world where crossdresing was just something male actors had to do to get anywhere in their career

I somehow doubt that mediocre action show Active Raid is trying to push any boundaries, is all. Crossdressing boys have long been otaku wank-bait, but as far as I know (and tbh I don't know jack poo poo) it generally only extends to fictional characters.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

akihiro miwa? or do non idol singers not count

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I somehow doubt that mediocre action show Active Raid is trying to push any boundaries, is all. Crossdressing boys have long been otaku wank-bait, but as far as I know (and tbh I don't know jack poo poo) it generally only extends to fictional characters.

This should have stopped from making this post

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Knorth posted:

This should have stopped from making this post

Then enlighten me about real life japanese trans celebrities.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Then enlighten me about real life japanese trans celebrities.

use google dude

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
on the other hand in like a single line the villain of active raid became one of the most colossal creepos in fictional history, and I am not sure I like where it's going with the implication that really shy girl who has problems speaking to the point where she introduces herself with a text message seems to recognize his antics and step up her game to stop it happening

and no i was solely trying to say 'man wouldn't it be nice if a boy could dress up like an idol and be adored by the masses like in anime instead of probably being killed' not 'i respect this silly show for its political activism'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Another high school anime from the early 2000s has gotten a license rescue.

DOKE DOKE DOKEEEEEEEE

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Waffleman_ posted:

Another high school anime from the early 2000s has gotten a license rescue.

DOKE DOKE DOKEEEEEEEE

It maybe would've been nice if Discotek picked up Giant Gorg before the long project to fansub it finished, but at least it's getting attention.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gunbustaaaaaa

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-21/maiden-japan-to-release-gunbuster-anime-on-blu-ray-dvd-in-may/.97845

Blurays and DVDs in May.

Edit: I guess it's the movie version.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 22, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boo

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The Gunbuster movie isn't too bad, yet I still prefer the OVA series. There are folks who dislike the early episodes and might not mind, but I'd disagree.

I wonder if there are still issues with a specific part of the background music used in the first OVA or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I admit I haven't seen Active Raid yet, but it sounds like the whole point of their reputation is that they're just getting the short end of the stick, like Section 2 in Patlabor. They're perfectly competent at their jobs, they just keep getting blamed for misfortune happening on their watch.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I admit I haven't seen Active Raid yet, but it sounds like the whole point of their reputation is that they're just getting the short end of the stick, like Section 2 in Patlabor. They're perfectly competent at their jobs, they just keep getting blamed for misfortune happening on their watch.

A little bit of that, a little bit of how they have a tendency to take on the way riskier jobs that end up destructively (which they are then sorta blamed for), a little bit of how the whole cast is really quirky and laid-back which, to the department heads and other police squads, overshadows their actual skills and capacity to get the job done.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I've never seen the movie version of Aim for the Top: Gunbuster. What's the difference?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I've never seen the movie version of Aim for the Top: Gunbuster. What's the difference?

i assume it's like the movie version of macross plus and it's just most of the ova stuck together with large chunks removed to make it the standard length of a movie

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The movie version of Macross Plus moves events around to make more sense and adds in some extra sequences, the Gunbuster movie is just the OAV cut down to 2 hours.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

There is a freeze frame cut of the murderer in Boku Dake's opening :psyduck:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

While Tabimachi Lateshow has very low animation, I do like the stories it's telling. It's not a serial story, but rather just a collection of vignettes. Will recommend.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dagashi Kashi is the second casualty this season, for me. The only thing I was finding funny were the references to 70s/80s shows, and without those there's absolutely nothing about the show I find appealing.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dagashi Kashi is the second casualty this season, for me. The only thing I was finding funny were the references to 70s/80s shows, and without those there's absolutely nothing about the show I find appealing.

Whose translation did you watch, since the official translation hasn't come out yet?

I only ask because one of the groups is being extremely annoying on this show.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mori's, since it comes out first. I didn't have a problem with the translation at all, though, I just don't find the show's concept or execution appealing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dagashi Kashi is cool and good but the effusive praise it gets just doesn't make sense to me at all. That said, I have a feeling that folks feel the same way about me when I talk about sports anime so I don't judge.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is there seriously no "cute girls doing cute things" anime in the vein of Non Non Biyori or Gochiusa this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rip moe

your best bet is probably dagashi kashi or one of the shoddy short shows

• Locked thread