Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think I would ever want to see an Akira anime on a tv budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sushi Police is pretty cool. Do watch it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe the shogi guy in Prince of Stride is loving dead.

Episode 4 was pretty alright. It had a lot of cute character stuff and the race was an improvement over 3's.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

I don't think I would ever want to see an Akira anime on a tv budget.

It's be 3D CGI just for that extra twist of the knife

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

at least its not

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i like how "travis" is modeled after joseph gordon levitt on the poster for mysterious skin

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the akira tv anime would be as terrible as the american movie. just read the manga ppl!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ajin is weird, but I kinda like it. Right off the bat, for a 3DCG TV anime, Ajin has maybe the best facial animation I've ever seen. Characters are expressive, they each have their own lil tics in the way they move, emote, etc. The backgrounds eschew solid, poly surfaces for a nice, washed-out, watercolor look that smoothes over the issue of 3D models looking awkward when they move within or interact w the environment. There are lots of little, appreciable touches made to help this show look the best it can. It's still 3DCG, so there's still that uncanny valley thing going on, they still cut frames here and there. It is what it is, but it's a big step up from Sidonia, which already looked OK, and as far as this particular branch of the medium goes, it's genuinely immersive(and sometimes just a little funny.)

The story is nothing to write home about yet, and given the different animation style, and thus, how much longer it takes to do p much anything, the pacing is a bit slow. The score, courtesy of Jojo's Yugo Kanno, is excellent; it has this slightly grungy Psycho-Pass-ish sound(another Kanno score) w lots of electronic hissing and blips and also that hilarious chanting from the Berserk movies. Also like Jojo, the sound design in this show is loving impeccable.

Really wanna see where this goes, cuz the next ep preview was insane. Oh, and the ED is hilarious.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 27, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Good ep of phantom world this week. Kirby beasted the buffet

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hey I'm watching the new gundam series and its good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

:toot:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

It is indeed good. And it prioritises fleshing out its characters and meditating on the psychological toll of being a child soldier over sicknasty giant robot fight scenes what is this nonsense.

I still want a half-dozen plastic Graze variants on my windowsill, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
KonoSuba is still making me smile on occasion.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It is indeed good. And it prioritises fleshing out its characters and meditating on the psychological toll of being a child soldier over sicknasty giant robot fight scenes what is this nonsense.

I still want a half-dozen plastic Graze variants on my windowsill, though.

As long as the robot fights are good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

As long as the robot fights are good

They are. They're just not all that frequent.

I mean, we've had... what? Six in sixteen episodes?

You'd better like the world-building and character-work (I do, others don't), that's all I'm saying.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Uh I like the relationship between the two main guys, and I hope the short girl kisses miku

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:laugh:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If she dies so does Droyer

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

!?!

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
You know what you did.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

ok

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
rip Droyer

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I'd make a kokoro shounen promise to protect you, but I don't think I'd stand much of a chance against someone as powerful as Karen. Nice knowing you droyer :rip:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope you guys aren't posting spoilers

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

A reasonable ultimatum.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Live with the robot anime, die for the actions of the robot anime

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they're making an anime of the SNAFU's author new novel about a college girl who becomes a VA. will probably be good, snafu was really good. the name is kinda stupid though 'girlish number', but hey snafu's name was dumb in both japanese and english

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not sure who my fave character is so far.....Hitler accountant, fat guy in sauna, cowboy grandma.....all good options

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

Not sure who my fave character is so far.....Hitler accountant, fat guy in sauna, cowboy grandma.....all good options

ummm the accountant and Hitler lackey are two different people

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
OK, well I'm bought-in on Konosuba now. This was a very funny episode.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 27, 2016

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Namtab posted:

my fave character is so far.....Hitler

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hitler is good in the mahjong mang

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The battles in this somehow feel more brutal than typical gundam

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Namtab posted:

it's just chunks of metal smashing into cockpits.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

The big focus on melee weapons and ballistics over beam rifles and newtype weapons contributes a lot to this, I feel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that some of the horror framing is important, too, like that first shot of a Graze looming against the sky, or how Mika's big, heroic entrances tend to have an uncomfortable amount in common with a monster murdering someone in a jump-scare. The way that death is utterly unglamourised helps, too - in a number of Gundam shows (especially those not written by Tomino), it's possible to die prettily and heroically, but not this one. I mean, consider the third episode's title, and then consider what actually happens in it.

We should probably take this over to the IBO thread, though. I welcome your insights, reverse anime Batman.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Namtab posted:

Good ep of phantom world this week. Kirby beasted the buffet

I was surprised it was a good ep. Also not many anims admit characters are in broken homes. MC and Kirby both admit their families have somebody who up and left.

Whatever happened to good, wholesome 'my parents are overseas'?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that some of the horror framing is important, too, like that first shot of a Graze looming against the sky, or how Mika's big, heroic entrances tend to have an uncomfortable amount in common with a monster murdering someone in a jump-scare. The way that death is utterly unglamourised helps, too - in a number of Gundam shows (especially those not written by Tomino), it's possible to die prettily and heroically, but not this one. I mean, consider the third episode's title, and then consider what actually happens in it.

We should probably take this over to the IBO thread, though. I welcome your insights, reverse anime Batman.

I'm not allowed to post in the robot threads, but feel free to grab me in the chat thread

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I was surprised it was a good ep. Also not many anims admit characters are in broken homes. MC and Kirby both admit their families have somebody who up and left.

Kyoto going back to their Clannad roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

They still haven't revealed what's up with Mai's parents.

• Locked thread