Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mirificus posted:

It really does feel like CIG is at a loss about how to handle the fallout.

i wonder how many backers would go crawling right back if crobbers apologized

im guessing a lot

im also guessing crobbers would never do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

God perfect I couldn't think of a good one

Someone needs to make a quality mash-up of Crobbers face going through the door.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6298202/#Comment_6298202

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Even if Croberts says "Okay, I get it, I screwed up with the Star Marine thing", there's nothing he can do about it to make this crowd happy.

He can't re-sell a limited supply ship, the whales will be pissed.

He can't promise another new feature to the game, it'll just be #7921 on the to-do list.

He can't open up the Million Mile High club to everyone, whales will be ULTRA-PISSED.

He can't finally implement another ship that's been in the pipeline for years, the brown sea will just ask why it wasn't in the game already.

I think that's what's spurring this wave of anger on their forums: they're finally realizing that CIG is completely incapable of making the game that was promised. The more self-aware ones will go back and watch CitCon and see Croberts jizz in his pants over Gary Oldman, mo-cap, and a script the size of a phone book. The penny is finally dropping for some of them, and it's going to be fun to watch the true believers turn on the ones who are finally waking up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Goons broke his spirit, obviously.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

What stream was this? It sounds amazing.

I'd love to post it, but it doesn't seem to be something they decided to upload to youtube.

It was their 1 year anniversary live stream on twitch.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

So, you are now seeing the huge foot in mouth plus the lovely drip feed of cutback promises. You are now seeing sq42 taking centre stage.
I am at a meeting shortly and will report all I know later. ........But I think I've been caught. Ttfn
It's been a long bloody meeting, EightAce.

Man, if they come down hard on you for posting here, or let you go for it, I'm going to be pissed. You've been a great asset to the group in a short time you've been here. CIG needs more whistleblowers, not more sacrificial lambs.

:argh:

Hope you'll write us with some good news soon, EightAce...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

I think that's what's spurring this wave of anger on their forums: they're finally realizing that CIG is completely incapable of making the game that was promised. The more self-aware ones will go back and watch CitCon and see Croberts jizz in his pants over Gary Oldman, mo-cap, and a script the size of a phone book. The penny is finally dropping for some of them, and it's going to be fun to watch the true believers turn on the ones who are finally waking up.

It's going to be really amazing to see what happens when they find out they can't get refunds because Crob is telling everyone it's feature complete. That's going to be "the poo poo hitting the fan" moment there.

Edit: wait, EightAce was working at CIG??!! Was he one of Derek Smart's moles?

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

EightAce where are you man? I'm sitting in the airport on the edge of my seat here.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Best wishes to EightAce.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Almost done with the 9 GB shotgun removal patch. I hear some doors work now too. Can't wait to play some Star Marine!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

EightAce is ben lesnick calling it now

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

EightAce here's a protip: Never let your eyes meet Sandi's, use some sort of mirrored surface to keep track of her.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hey guys, it's getting late here and I'm going to go read some old mechwarrior ebooks and fall asleep.

I would really appreciate if you would all stop posting until I can get back to the computer tomorrow morning. Thanks.

*wakes up to 500 new posts*

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

EightAce is ben lesnick calling it now

I hope he appreciated all of our weight loss tips in this thread.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

I hope he appreciated all of our weight loss tips in this thread.

lol that would be so hosed

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Young Freud posted:

It's going to be really amazing to see what happens when they find out they can't get refunds because Crob is telling everyone it's feature complete. That's going to be "the poo poo hitting the fan" moment there

It will be the striking moment to flood stories of grey market speculators making tens of thousands of dollars in profit from gullible citizens... all for limited edition (or whatever) ships for a game that won't be.

Heroes, the lot of them. Their time to shine will be then. If there's any proof out there that CIG, C. Roberts, etc were involved in the grey market? That would be the time to drop that info, as well.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 28, 2016

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Bravo

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

So I heard that Chris Robots is rebuilding EVA in star citizen

I'm so hosed up

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
It's interesting how more and more backers are feeling comfortable criticizing both CIG and Chris Roberts. The atmosphere's changed so much from just a few days ago.

Examining CIG's PU claims

Viewing Star Marine as a microcosm for Star Citizen as a whole

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

When this poo poo finally goes tits up it's going to be a treasure trove of schadenfreude like goons haven't seen in years. :allears:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Of course, there will always be white knights

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I like how the backers buy into the narrative that Chris Roberts is the only person who ever thought to seamlessly combine space, being in ships, space stations, and planetary exploration into one seamless experience. Motherfuckers, game developers have been chasing that rainbow since there were PCs to chase it with. Derek Smart isn't the only one who tried it, so when he fails, claiming that "he just sucks LOL" is ignoring every other company out there who wound up falling back to loading screens and other methods to get this poo poo to work.

There's a reason nobody has been able to do it the way everyone envisions, and it's purely technological. The fever dreams of one guy who made a mediocre games decades ago does not mean "the time is now." They're acting like this guy is rising from the ashes of a PC gaming wasteland to lead us to the promised land. The reality is that Chris thinks it's possible specifically because he doesn't know anything about gaming. I can't imagine the hubris it takes to believe that nobody else has thought of these things, or attempted them.

Someday, maybe, what he's envisioning could be built, but not yet. And certainly not by him. PC gaming is fine, and has been doing just fine, for a long time now. Except when he says he's "saving PC gaming", he's harming it.

So here we stand with 107+ million dollars of other people's money pissed away so this no-talent not-even-a-has-been can "try" to build something that maybe he thinks might be cool. That's loving great. I want to try some new and different expensive things in life too - maybe I can just get the public to foot the bill for all of it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Materix is going to get quite the shock when he hits the desert of the real

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HiHo ChiRho posted:

ROBERTS KNEW

Roberts knows.

Star Citizen blows.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

just read eightace's post history and he definitely said too much, in short, rip

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Scruffpuff posted:

I like how the backers buy into the narrative that Chris Roberts is the only person who ever thought to seamlessly combine space, being in ships, space stations, and planetary exploration into one seamless experience. Motherfuckers, game developers have been chasing that rainbow since there were PCs to chase it with. Derek Smart isn't the only one who tried it, so when he fails, claiming that "he just sucks LOL" is ignoring every other company out there who wound up falling back to loading screens and other methods to get this poo poo to work.

There's a reason nobody has been able to do it the way everyone envisions, and it's purely technological. The fever dreams of one guy who made a mediocre games decades ago does not mean "the time is now." They're acting like this guy is rising from the ashes of a PC gaming wasteland to lead us to the promised land. The reality is that Chris thinks it's possible specifically because he doesn't know anything about gaming. I can't imagine the hubris it takes to believe that nobody else has thought of these things, or attempted them.

Someday, maybe, what he's envisioning could be built, but not yet. And certainly not by him. PC gaming is fine, and has been doing just fine, for a long time now. Except when he says he's "saving PC gaming", he's harming it.

So here we stand with 107+ million dollars of other people's money pissed away so this no-talent not-even-a-has-been can "try" to build something that maybe he thinks might be cool. That's loving great. I want to try some new and different expensive things in life too - maybe I can just get the public to foot the bill for all of it.

evvvviiiiillll puubblisssherrrrss!!! woooOOOOOooooOOOooo!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Young Freud posted:

What would the reaction be if you posted this to the brown sea?

Probably some Crying Game-style long shower as I desperately tried to get the stink off.

…oh, their reaction? They'd probably interpret it as yet another reason why SC will save PC gaming from those predatory publishers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
EightAce if they fire you then don't sign the NDA. You don't have to. At least not here in the US.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I was honestly expecting them to come out within the last 48 hours trying to stem this tide, and kinda shocked they haven't. But as you pointed out, they have nothing.

Yeah, it'll get worse. Just wait till after their "summit".

They haven't because they're loving terrible at crisis management. Let's be honest about who is running the show:

- Chris Roberts, the guy who hosed this up and can't do poo poo about it because that would require him to admit he was wrong.
- Sandi Roberts, the best businesswoman in the world who is too busy answering CS tickets and working on side jobs (on the weekends of course) to do anything about it.
- Ben Lesnick, who is pathologically incapable of going against his Lord and Saviour, He Who Made Wing Commander, and would just insult people if he tried.
- Jared Huckabee, who is incapable of thinking for himself.
- David Swofford, who is apparently invisible.

They're paralyzed into inaction. Either they don't believe it's really a problem, don't care because money is still flowing in, or are so hopelessly inept that they cannot even for a viable response to unfuck the situation. And every moment they fail to act is just another buildup of angst and frustration. And the best part? They probably pissed off their own moderators too. Remember their primary line of defense against negative posting are the Elite Tier Spergs who adore this game and everything Roberts stands for. But guess what? They're people too. And if Chris hosed up that badly then it's entirely possible that they've lost a significant portion of the people they depend the most on to keep a lid on things.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Google Butt posted:

just read eightace's post history and he definitely said too much, in short, rip
If you think he said too much, you should hear what Chris Roberts has said. If people figure THAT, that dude is toast!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Warcabbit posted:

Well, that is what I would say - but Unreal is doing insane things with VR. It's still baked in and it still looks like it might take relatively little effort to integrate. Just don't have the time to explore the space right now.

Stay focused. Does adding VR support significantly improve the game experience? If so, then put the effort and do it right. If not, hold off until you can justify it relative to your other priorities. Like making my statue.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kordansk posted:

Scarf Citizen

Is that the next instalment of Kirby's Epic Yarn? Because I'd pledge the hell out of that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i wonder if im going to have that post-nut regret feeling when this is over like irl :(

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A personal attack on Chris Roberts

I swear DogonCrook must be a Goon

"I will feel grief" guy vs. Tarkaroshe

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

Probably some Crying Game-style long shower as I desperately tried to get the stink off.

…oh, their reaction? They'd probably interpret it as yet another reason why SC will save PC gaming from those predatory publishers.

I'm starting to lose my grip on the publisher hate as well. E.A. is a bunch of pricks, but I'm going to need some help figuring out how even their most heinous actions hope to compare with what CIG has been pulling:

- Taking 107+ million dollars and telling people no more release dates
- Buggy as gently caress "Pre-Alpha" with no gameplay and constant crashing
- Entire game modules removed once they've outlived their usefulness as cash generating hype
- No accountability for failure or broken promises
- Total shift of focus to a single-player game nobody wants or backed
- Bad engine choice resulting in what is there being an unstable mess
- infinite other actions

If I buy a game from E.A., I'm buying a game that's done. If it has bugs, I might be pissed, but it's still better than having nothing. And since the game actually gets released before they ask for my money, I can wait a bit and see if they patch it up before buying. And if I hate the company enough, I can choose never to give them my cash at all. In all cases, I hold all the power. Star Citizen, in contrast, is run on the model that if people keep giving them money, they might be able to maybe build a game, but no promises. That is better - how? No matter how good or bad the game is; how buggy; etc. - I have to loving live with it. Oh, and gently caress you if you don't like what we're doing, no refunds.

If publishers are as evil as backers insist, I have no doubt they're watching CIG with great interest. And taking notes.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EightAce if they fire you then don't sign the NDA. You don't have to. At least not here in the US.

This. The thread would, frankly, gorge on any deets you can provide and if you don't have to sign the NDA or whatever, stick it to them. Cause seriously, when all this will be said and done in a year or 2 I'd be amazed if there'd be a single games developer who'd blame you for putting up with this poo poo and spilling the beans on it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

EightAce posted:

So, you are now seeing the huge foot in mouth plus the lovely drip feed of cutback promises. You are now seeing sq42 taking centre stage.
I am at a meeting shortly and will report all I know later. ........But I think I've been caught. Ttfn

di... did he get eaten? RIP bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm starting to lose my grip on the publisher hate as well.
I've been fairly ambivalent about publishers but Chris Roberts, Keiji Inafune, and Tim Schafer certainly make a strong case for them.

• Locked thread