Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

spacetoaster posted:

I'd love to post it, but it doesn't seem to be something they decided to upload to youtube.

It was their 1 year anniversary live stream on twitch.

Well drat. Either way, thank you spacetoaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

don't loving encourage him

i get enough seraph from blocking his new accounts when they pm me

Way behind in this thread, but PleasureKevin is a mod on Seraph's goon-hate subreddit and may actually be Seraph.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
For all the talk of evil publishers, Croberts and Co.would have probably come out even further ahead if CIG was just the *gasp* publisher. Could have let the space JPEG money keep rolling it, gave $60 million to a competent developer to make a real game meeting the original pre-birds and consensual PvP scope creep, pissed away $20m on his mocap masterpiece, then just straight up pocket the remaining $20m.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They're paralyzed into inaction. Either they don't believe it's really a problem, don't care because money is still flowing in, or are so hopelessly inept that they cannot even for a viable response to unfuck the situation. And every moment they fail to act is just another buildup of angst and frustration. And the best part? They probably pissed off their own moderators too. Remember their primary line of defense against negative posting are the Elite Tier Spergs who adore this game and everything Roberts stands for. But guess what? They're people too. And if Chris hosed up that badly then it's entirely possible that they've lost a significant portion of the people they depend the most on to keep a lid on things.
With what I've been witnessing, paralysis certainly seems to be the case here for now at least.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

DA PANET EARF posted:

So I heard that Chris Robots is rebuilding EVA in star citizen

I'm so hosed up

Future cover of the End of Star Citizen blu ray? This is awesome.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm starting to lose my grip on the publisher hate as well. E.A. is a bunch of pricks, but I'm going to need some help figuring out how even their most heinous actions hope to compare with what CIG has been pulling:

- Taking 107+ million dollars and telling people no more release dates
- Buggy as gently caress "Pre-Alpha" with no gameplay and constant crashing
- Entire game modules removed once they've outlived their usefulness as cash generating hype
- No accountability for failure or broken promises
- Total shift of focus to a single-player game nobody wants or backed
- Bad engine choice resulting in what is there being an unstable mess
- infinite other actions

If I buy a game from E.A., I'm buying a game that's done. If it has bugs, I might be pissed, but it's still better than having nothing. And since the game actually gets released before they ask for my money, I can wait a bit and see if they patch it up before buying. And if I hate the company enough, I can choose never to give them my cash at all. In all cases, I hold all the power. Star Citizen, in contrast, is run on the model that if people keep giving them money, they might be able to maybe build a game, but no promises. That is better - how? No matter how good or bad the game is; how buggy; etc. - I have to loving live with it. Oh, and gently caress you if you don't like what we're doing, no refunds.

If publishers are as evil as backers insist, I have no doubt they're watching CIG with great interest. And taking notes.

Publishers make game studios accountable for the money they spend on development and publishers are also held accountable to normal consumer protection laws. What I'm trying to say here is you are pretty well protected from deceptive business practices, when it comes to the traditional publisher-studio model. They aren't some podunk indy crowdfunded studio that can just one day decide to say welp and fuckoff into the sunset.

That is the loving key point to all this. So many of these indy crowdfunded studios can pretty much just fuckoff when funding dries up.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 28, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

For all the talk of evil publishers, Croberts and Co.would have probably come out even further ahead if CIG was just the *gasp* publisher. Could have let the space JPEG money keep rolling it, gave $60 million to a competent developer to make a real game meeting the original pre-birds and consensual PvP scope creep, pissed away $20m on his mocap masterpiece, then just straight up pocket the remaining $20m.
Well, since Chris apparently would not have sold out even for $2 billion, I think he's in the for the long haul...

... Pity about the short cliff, though.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EightAce if they fire you then don't sign the NDA. You don't have to. At least not here in the US.

They haven't because they're loving terrible at crisis management. Let's be honest about who is running the show:

- Chris Roberts, the guy who hosed this up and can't do poo poo about it because that would require him to admit he was wrong.
- Sandi Roberts, the best businesswoman in the world who is too busy answering CS tickets and working on side jobs (on the weekends of course) to do anything about it.
- Ben Lesnick, who is pathologically incapable of going against his Lord and Saviour, He Who Made Wing Commander, and would just insult people if he tried.
- Jared Huckabee, who is incapable of thinking for himself.
- David Swofford, who is apparently invisible.

They're paralyzed into inaction. Either they don't believe it's really a problem, don't care because money is still flowing in, or are so hopelessly inept that they cannot even for a viable response to unfuck the situation. And every moment they fail to act is just another buildup of angst and frustration. And the best part? They probably pissed off their own moderators too. Remember their primary line of defense against negative posting are the Elite Tier Spergs who adore this game and everything Roberts stands for. But guess what? They're people too. And if Chris hosed up that badly then it's entirely possible that they've lost a significant portion of the people they depend the most on to keep a lid on things.

True words sir. It really does seem too that they've turned even some of the most adamant of fans against them this time.

I do think there is a contingent that really does think it will just blow over. They're wrong, but they think it will.

If they truly are, as it seems to be, going to start walking even more back then the chorus of anger is only going to intensify to the point of being deafening.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
EightAce plz.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

G0RF posted:

Well, since Chris apparently would not have sold out even for $2 billion, I think he's in the for the long haul...

... Pity about the short cliff, though.

He's a man of either great principle, profound ignorance, or just full of poo poo. Chris if you ever construct or hijack a time machine please heed my words and provide a generous 5% cut of all profits or space ship images of equivalent value.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 28, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

SirPhoebos posted:

:ohdear: stay safe, and bring garlic in case Sandi is in the building.

I like to imagine ace eight hiding in a crate at CIG with a smart phone listening in and eating anything Ben drops

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Romes128 posted:

EightAce plz.

who should we contact to make sure EightAce is still breathing?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Realistic expectations

Taking an ad hominem and turning it around

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sorry you spent money on a product that can now be defined as a donation instead of a purchase. HAHAAHAHAHAAHA, U LUS CHRIS WEEN! (russian accent)

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Tommy quoting scripture back at believers can't end well.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

tommy noble is on a mission from god

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I've never seen the RSI forums be so negative about CIG before. If the mods come back, it'll have to be with a terrible vengeance.

Realistic expectations

Realistic expectations II

Personal attack on Sandi

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Roberst sell the game to EA as the ultimate gently caress you, and free ma nigga eightace

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SquirrelGrip posted:

Roberst sell the game to EA as the ultimate gently caress you, and free ma nigga eightace

If he works for cig he will be freed soon. Lol.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Also please update your 10 year ban message to include https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/register.php thanks

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Agrajag posted:

who should we contact to make sure EightAce is still breathing?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/contact-us

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
These are truly exciting times.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

CashEnsign posted:

It my be my thread about what Gorf wrote. Its beautiful Derek but would benefit greatly from your personal touch :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42z63c/the_saga_of_star_marine_an_indepth_analysis_of/

it must really burn wesha that he got downvoted into silence and beer was upvoted.

Like, what universe is this now?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it absolutely floors me that if chris hadn't opened with 'this really annoys me' than we wouldn't have this glorious shitshow. sm could easily have gone the way of private servers. what a loving idiot.

eightace, come back safe, or angry, or get word to us somehow that you can't talk no more. your potential departure from this thread scares the poo poo out of me, as everything you posted scared the poo poo out of cig

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
A few questions...

Are we going to buy Tommy Noble an SA account? Or would they then view him as another goonsayer?

When all this goes tits up, and Crobber and Sandi run off with whatever's left, what happens to the assets? The IP? All they created? Do you think they'll sell to a publisher? Or will it be one of those "If I can't have you, no one can!" scenarios?

Does anyone else think this would move along better if it were open source? Like if they just dumped it all into one big rear end git, and the community at large raced against CIG, who would make more progress? There have to be at least a couple hundred spergs out there with some programming prowess.

Also, I've been sort of keeping tabs on the grey market, and prices are dropping. Some listings claim "Under Cost." IDK if that's RSI cost or grey market cost at a loss.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, right? Lots of defenders over at Reddit, but their market speaks too.

e:spelling

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 28, 2016

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Junk Puncher posted:

A few questions...

Are we going to buy Tommy Noble an SA account? Or would they then view him as another goonsayer?

When all this goes tits up, and Crobber and Sandi run off with whatever's left, what happens to the assets? The IP? All they created? Do you think they'll sell to a publisher? Or will it be one of those "If I can't have you, no one can!" scenarios?

Does anyone else think this would move along better if it were open source? Like if they just dumped it all into one big rear end git, and the community at large raced against CIG, who would make more progress? I think they're have to be at least a couple hundred spergs out there with some programming prowess.

Also, I've been sort of keeping tabs on the grey market, and prices are dropping. Some listings claim "Under Cost." IDK if that's RSI cost or grey market cost at a loss.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, right? Lots of defenders over at Reddit, but the market speaks too.

No publisher would touch this when it collapses. Now, yes, there may be a chance.

But no one is going to rescue the biggest failure in crowdfunding if it dies.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Romes128 posted:

No publisher would touch this when it collapses. Now, yes, there may be a chance.

But no one is going to rescue the biggest failure in crowdfunding if it dies.

But let's say, hypothetically, CIG files bankruptcy. And hypothetically there's some sort of injunction and they have to auction assets to repay investors? With E:D et al having some success, I can see a company picking up what they can, either to develop or shelve.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6298485/#Comment_6298485

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6297391/#Comment_6297391

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Gonkish posted:

When this poo poo finally goes tits up it's going to be a treasure trove of schadenfreude like goons haven't seen in years. :allears:

This thread should raise cash for Mirificus and Gorf to quit their day jobs and document this full time. Valuable schadenfreude could fall through the cracks without enough manpower.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
The First True Persistant Universe on the Internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrX8qEiMc7M&t=18s

IDK if anyone remembers this. I read about it in a gaming mag when I was pretty young. It was called 10 six because it could host a whopping 10^6 players on the INTERNET! It failed, and a few years ago I heard some schmoe bought the rights, changed the name to Project Visitor, and you can play it. Granted, they haven't done poo poo for development, but it's super old, and from a time before distributed development was possible.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys, it's getting late here and I'm going to go read some old mechwarrior ebooks and fall asleep.

I would really appreciate if you would all stop posting until I can get back to the computer tomorrow morning. Thanks.

*wakes up to 500 new posts*

Lets give this guy 1000 posts to wake up to!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

it absolutely floors me that if chris hadn't opened with 'this really annoys me' than we wouldn't have this glorious shitshow. sm could easily have gone the way of private servers. what a loving idiot.
It does kind of show that backer relations were at in a far more fragile state than suspected. CIG has mistreated backers a lot and generally backers have looked over it in the past but not this time. I wouldn't have thought that this particular event would set them off but here we are.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Marching Powder posted:

eightace, come back safe, or angry, or get word to us somehow that you can't talk no more. your potential departure from this thread scares the poo poo out of me, as everything you posted scared the poo poo out of cig

This reminds me of the last time Chris Roberts expressed annoyance at people grumbling over being told to eat cake. He is not graceful in these situations.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/232661

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man, though, the front page of general chat is on fire, relatively speaking. Ben and disco gotta be sweating their next posts, let alone show

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mirificus posted:

It does kind of show that backer relations were at in a far more fragile state than suspected. CIG has mistreated backers a lot and generally backers have looked over it in the past but not this time. I wouldn't have thought that this particular event would set them off but here we are.

has he verbally denigrated them in such an unambiguous way before?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Junk Puncher posted:

But let's say, hypothetically, CIG files bankruptcy. And hypothetically there's some sort of injunction and they have to auction assets to repay investors? With E:D et al having some success, I can see a company picking up what they can, either to develop or shelve.

Physical assets would be auctioned off for repay any investors left.

The game itself is tricky cause even though another company would have no obligation to fulfill kickstarter promises or other things mentioned my cr, the fan base would expect it. They would also expect not to have to rebuy the game, which leaves the new company without much of a potential player base to generate revenue from. So yeah, no one would touch it. If someone does buy it, they would just sit on it cause even the engine itself looks hosed from what I've read in this thread.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

I've been fairly ambivalent about publishers but Chris Roberts, Keiji Inafune, and Tim Schafer certainly make a strong case for them.

Pretty much. Or at least they make a strong case for one function that publishers generally have: supervision.

:words:

I think there's a whole lot of confusion about what the publishers supposed wickedness consists of. On the one hand, we have the “no-one makes these games any more” side (exemplified by the CRPG revival with Wasteland, Shadowrun, Pillars), where the criticism is at least somewhat valid, and where EA is the evil empire. The large publishing houses want large profits and thus focus on (bi)yearly mass-appeal franchises — it's gaming fast-food. The niche games don't produce those kinds of profits so the funding and interest needs to be established some other way.

On the other hand, we have the “they ruined the director's vision” argument, which tends to be less sensible, and funnily enough for a very similar reason. Publishers don't want “bad games” — they just want something that can be done and released; if some features are cut to reach that goal then so be it. Sensible designers know to limit themselves so there's no conflict between the two (again, see Brian Fargo and Harebrained Schemes); less sensible ones need the supervision to keep them on track, on budget, and on time, which immediately creates conflict between vision and feasibility.

Then there's also the annoyance-factor of some publishers as they saturate media with annoying ads and PR, but that doesn't seem to come up all that much in these discussions.

I think the main issue is that the crowdfunder-darling narrative tends to focus on appeal of the first argument when the real (personal) annoyance of the developer is really the second: “if I could only be free of constraints, I could give the community the game they always wanted.” Roberts and Schafer have both used this argumentation, whereas both the Wasteland development process and the entire line of Harebrained games have been able to separate the two. These teams have been very clear about why they picked the route they picked: because they know they're appealing to a niche market and can't promise a big payout. The grand vision takes a second seat to actually catering to the niche.

Or course, the core conflict here is that it's difficult to have the kind of supervision and oversight needed to keep the wild idea-men in check without the big boot of being able to pull the funding. At the same time, the developers in question will always be able to transform that into the evil publisher killing ideas narrative, even though this control function is critical to actually get anything out before it's obsolete and pointless. If it's your own money you spend on your ever-developing dream, then by all means, go ahead. If it's someone else's, then it's their money you're wasting. What ultimately damned Schafer was that he forgot this and confused which money was supposed to go to what game; what will ultimately condemn Roberts (once the backers start doing their part) is the same: he's wasting their money, not his, and he's trying to build his game, not theirs.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

Pretty much. Or at least they make a strong case for one function that publishers generally have: supervision.

:words:

I think there's a whole lot of confusion about what the publishers supposed wickedness consists of. On the one hand, we have the “no-one makes these games any more” side (exemplified by the CRPG revival with Wasteland, Shadowrun, Pillars), where the criticism is at least somewhat valid, and where EA is the evil empire. The large publishing houses want large profits and thus focus on (bi)yearly mass-appeal franchises — it's gaming fast-food. The niche games don't produce those kinds of profits so the funding and interest needs to be established some other way.

On the other hand, we have the “they ruined the director's vision” argument, which tends to be less sensible, and funnily enough for a very similar reason. Publishers don't want “bad games” — they just want something that can be done and released; if some features are cut to reach that goal then so be it. Sensible designers know to limit themselves so there's no conflict between the two (again, see Brian Fargo and Harebrained Schemes); less sensible ones need the supervision to keep them on track, on budget, and on time, which immediately creates conflict between vision and feasibility.

Then there's also the annoyance-factor of some publishers as they saturate media with annoying ads and PR, but that doesn't seem to come up all that much in these discussions.

I think the main issue is that the crowdfunder-darling narrative tends to focus on appeal of the first argument when the real (personal) annoyance of the developer is really the second: “if I could only be free of constraints, I could give the community the game they always wanted.” Roberts and Schafer have both used this argumentation, whereas both the Wasteland development process and the entire line of Harebrained games have been able to separate the two. These teams have been very clear about why they picked the route they picked: because they know they're appealing to a niche market and can't promise a big payout. The grand vision takes a second seat to actually catering to the niche.

Or course, the core conflict here is that it's difficult to have the kind of supervision and oversight needed to keep the wild idea-men in check without the big boot of being able to pull the funding. At the same time, the developers in question will always be able to transform that into the evil publisher killing ideas narrative, even though this control function is critical to actually get anything out before it's obsolete and pointless. If it's your own money you spend on your ever-developing dream, then by all means, go ahead. If it's someone else's, then it's their money you're wasting. What ultimately damned Schafer was that he forgot this and confused which money was supposed to go to what game; what will ultimately condemn Roberts (once the backers start doing their part) is the same: he's wasting their money, not his, and he's trying to build his game, not theirs.

Perfect summary. Your last sentence should be on the top of the RSI website in giant bold letters.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa, that was 3000 posts all right. Glad to see the seeds of discontent beginning to srpout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't really play a lot of games but if i disagree with what a publisher's doing with a product i just don't buy it. at least they made (most of) the loving game before trying to fist me out of money and there are so many resources available that all but the most impulsive autist will never get hosed by a developer out of actual cash

• Locked thread