Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Between Base Camp and Camp I is the icefall, between Camp I and Camp IV is the Western Cwm. Deaths there are mostly due to avalanches hitting the valley and the rare crevice opening up. Also people probably die during decent in that area or are :mediocre: and get cerebral edema before they even make the summit push. So basically just a mashup of everything that makes Everest dangerous.

Yeah there's isn't a place on Everest that isn't dangerous in some way.

A good number of people didn't make it past the icefall section since it has lots of risks such as seracs or hidden crevasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Also a lot of Sherpa die in the icefall not only because it's inherently dangerous and unstable, but because they have to go through it many many times hauling equipment to the higher camps. Client climbers tend to go through the icefall as few times as possible to minimise their exposure to those risks.

EDIT: The infographic marks heights based on the Nepal side camps, but doesn't seem to distinguish between deaths on the South and North (Nepal and Tibet) routes. Based on the two very old very high deaths which are presumably Mallory and Irvine, it does include the Tibetan side, which has a different start height, camps at different altitudes and obviously it's own unique arrangement of hazards. So if there's a cluster that doesn't seem to correspond to a Nepal-side danger zone it could be a Tibet-side one.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 27, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

etalian posted:

I liked this infographic

Man, look at all those people who died floating through the air, must have sucked

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

AceRimmer posted:

Best simple visualization here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQtFPbBFCw

Guessing a lot of the Camp II to III deaths are also people just falling off the Lhotse face?

I would guess that you are looking at a lot of deaths due to one of the symptoms of acute altitude sickness like HAPE or HACE.

Someone does not need to be in the death zone for this to appear suddenly and kill you dead. gently caress, some people have succumbed to this at around 8,000 feet, which is far lower than camp II.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 1, 2016

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

smoobles posted:

Stupid rich people who think they can just "survive an avalanche" because their white lol

Hello smoobles.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

etalian posted:

I liked this infographic

I'm the fail 1994 dude who died below basecamp.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ZombieLenin posted:

I would guess that you are looking at a lot of deaths due to one of the symptoms of acute altitude sickness like HAPE or HACE.

Someone does not need to be in the death zone for this to appear suddenly and kill you dead. gently caress, some people have succumbed to this at around 8,000 feet, which is far lower than camp II.

This is true. It depends just as much on the speed at which you gain elevation. If you ascend too quickly you physiologically can't adjust to the lower oxygen levels. I went from 3000' to 9000' in just a few hours while climbing a fairly demanding mountain and I got altitude sickness just below the summit. My brain just shut off and I started shaking really bad. I couldn't figure out how to take the next step to keep going so I just gave up, sat down, and cried. I sincerely thought I was stuck there forever. My climbing buddy saw me shaking so he fed me sugar and helped me find my footholds so I could move again. There were only 3 of us on that mountain that day so I could have been in real trouble if I was alone.

Since I was so close to the summit I decided to finish it anyway. It was only 15 more minutes to get there, and it was worth it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

I've driven through every state west of the Mississippi, where most of the loving bullshit is, and without a doubt the worst two stretches in the continental United States are the Great Painted Desert of Wyoming and the panhandle of Texas. I sort of enjoyed North Dakota and eastern Washington but there's nothing there except the slightest suggestion of topography.

I would say this photograph (intersection w/ I40, which runs through Amarillo) is generous, as apparently they'd had some rain in the last few months and there are suggestions of plants:

My mother is from Amarillo, dropped out of high school and GTFO'd as fast as she could.

The most famous bit of Amarillo history is when it got shellacked by the Dust Bowl. (It was the epicenter of it.) It's Grapes of Wrath territory.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This was on last night. I'm watching it now, seems like there's quite a bit of footage that you wouldn't really be able to get anywhere else.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365651521/

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi guys, I made a video game based on the Everest mock threads. If you'd like to play it, you can get it here: http://slamfighter.com/download

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I watched this the other day and thought it was really well done. Beyond the Edge, about the first Everest ascent. They mix original film footage and voiceovers from people who were there with actors reenacting events. If you liked Touching the Void you will like this. On Netflix.

http://youtu.be/Md-EHh2mf_w

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Isn't it about the time where we get a new thread? I'm just the ideas guy around here so I'm not going to.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I'd be perfectly happy with a title change and we can keep going. This thread is full of posts too good for the archives.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I'm the OP. Can I change the title or is it mods only? I agree, the new yearly threads always get clogged up with the same 'use a helicopter/slide/cannon LOL' posts which get a little boring, especially if you're a long-term Everest thread follower.

title suggestions?

Everest 2016: Ain't no mountain high enough (to die on.)

Everest 2016: Helicopters optional.

Everest 2016: This year nothing bad will happen.

Everest 2016: The mountain god hungers.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 29, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Everest 2016: Dickheads in the Death Zone.

Everest 2016: Extreme Social Climbing

Everest 2016: I claim this Mountain for Canadasia

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Rondette posted:

Everest 2016: Ain't no mountain high enough (to die on.)

This.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Everest 2016: Maybe this year?

Everest 2016: Just me and Boney M

Everest 2016: Escalator to hypoxia

Everest 2016: Where were going, we don't need fingers

Everest 2016: Mallory's broken Assicle

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Everest 2016: the first ever SA thread about climbing Mt. Everest in 2016.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Everest 2016: The Search for Green Boots

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sherpa Shut Up and Climb Everest Gaiden: XVI: Khumbu Boogaloo

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Everest 2016: someones going to get offended by the death pool again.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Everest 2016: Get rich and die hiking

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

koreban posted:

Some else would just become the first Everest thread of 2016 poster of Canadian-Lithuanian descent.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Broken Machine posted:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Some else would just become the first Everest thread of 2016 poster of Canadian-Lithuanian descent.

:thejoke:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"First ever SA thread" is the clear winner

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I'm partial to this actually. Just very good.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sticking with 162 deaths for the Annual SA Everest Death Pool too.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 30, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Everest 2016: I died on K2, you've probably never heard of it.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Everest 2016; Here Tenzig, carry this for me.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Everest 2016: Come for the Death Pool, Stay for the Outrage

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Sherpa Shut Up and Climb Everest Gaiden: XVI: Khumboogaloo

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Did we ever get a final count for the death pool? I believe I owe some people some books—the best I can find is 22 deaths last year. If so, BaronVonVaderham PM me and pick a book! I believe you also win a drawing of you or your avatar as Canadian lady in yellow.

Everest 2016: 23 and me

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 30, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The North Tower posted:

Did we ever get a final count for the death pool? I believe I owe some people some books—the best I can find is 22 deaths last year. If so, BaronVonVaderham PM me and pick a book! I believe you also win a drawing of you or your avatar as Canadian lady in yellow.

Everest 2016: 23 and me

Yes! I owe a drawing!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
HA! Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about that thing. I need sleep, but I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Me too, imma draw you atop Everest, livin the dream.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

koreban posted:

I'd be perfectly happy with a title change and we can keep going. This thread is full of posts too good for the archives.

Wouldn't that be confusing? People might confuse guesses for this year's death pool with the guesses for last years death pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

koreban posted:

• Locked thread