Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Live shows are always comedy gold, if only for the ability to enrage the entire twitch chat.

We should all ask about the farewell letter that Derek tweeted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Flight model has been addressed according to AtV.

IFCS 2.0 allows them to have multiple flight modes and handled change based off mass and other factors rather than a static number in a XML file

Unfortunately no scarves this year.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dusty Lens posted:

One of my favorite fictional currencies would have to be the C-Bill from the Mechwarrior universe. When the Asimov Foundation esq collapse of the government/resulting military fallout took its toll on the galaxy's infrastructure the ability to communicate between worlds was maintained by a neutral party and the amount of data that could be transmitted was utilized as a the economic standard of the inner sphere.

It's good stuff and, given how communication works in the SC universe, I thought it would have been a good system there too.

But I guess it makes more sense to back the value of the credit against the US dollar.

anything at all would be better but i guess they have to do it this way otherwise how are they going to make their stupid game keep paying off once all the whales are already up on the pequod and being harvested for their blubber?

since everything revolves around getting that money and an over-the-top grimdark setting (which doesn't even do a 40k and push that to its hilarious and stupid conclusions) even if everything worked you'd wind up with a p2w dogfighting sim in a boring, grey universe with boring aliens and with everyone flying crappy utilitarian ships.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm gonna ask Ben if his parents' suicide notes will blame him or apologize to him

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
It's funny how bad CryEngine is for everything they want to do. It's a complete millstone. All because Chris was too lazy to make his own pitch video

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

This crazy train never stops, does it?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'm gonna ask Ben if his parents' suicide notes will blame him or apologize to him

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Slow_Moe posted:

This crazy train never stops, does it?

tbqh i'll miss it when it does

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gilganixon posted:

That'll be a long time though.

We've got several more months before it completely collapses. That'll be followed by more weeks, if not months, of gnashing of teeth. That'll be followed by expose articles and documentaries. Then the lawsuits will finally make it to court. on and on and on and on the pain train keeps rolling

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Flight model has been addressed according to AtV.

IFCS 2.0 allows them to have multiple flight modes and handled change based off mass and other factors rather than a static number in a XML file

Unfortunately no scarves this year.
then why does it look like loving garbage? it's like the desert combat mod for battlefield 1942 where jets could take off backwards

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

We've got several more months before it completely collapses. That'll be followed by more weeks, if not months, of gnashing of teeth. That'll be followed by expose articles and documentaries. Then the lawsuits will finally make it to court. on and on and on and on the pain train keeps rolling

I predict the gaming press will be all "No one could have suspected!!!"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Gilganixon posted:

There's a goon-made kickstarter funded City of Heroes game being made, I'm sure it will turn in to the next SC thread one day, just smaller scale where we all will wish it was as amazing as this was

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Octopode posted:

I think people are a little too up in arms about something that probably needs to happen if they want the game to ever actually come out; for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over broken promises and un-lived up to hype, sacrificing what was, ultimately, an extraneous game mode largely disconnected from the core gameplay experience is a better project management decision than CIG has shown in the past. If they manage to stick out all the vitriol associated with it, it will say a lot about whether they are going to be able to run a functional game that appeals to more than whales in the face of inevitable outcry from the $15K+ backers or if they are going to cave to the very loud minority in the face of unpopular decisions that are better for the game.

For what it's worth, I agree. I knew Smartians (I came up with that myself, Reddit, be sure to credit me) would be all over it because it's a broken promise, but it was a good move given the environment CIG put themselves in. Frankly, it was not a great idea anyway. Though it was hilarious to see Reddit try play pretend and say that this would clearly be the next great MilSim shooter that puts Call of Duty to shame. Who the gently caress seriously wanted a janky FPS clone out of this anyway.

That's not to say that breaking commitments is okay, but honestly, hasn't making ridiculous claims and promises been SC's problem since the beginning? Obviously it'd be better if they stopped making them in the first place, but at least they're backing off on them when it makes sense to do so.

Yes, there's still the huge issue of CIG getting themselves into the situation in the first place, their complete and utter lack of open communication about anything of substance, and then their rapid back pedaling when questioned on anything that might threaten their whale-base. But let's be honest, for the game to actually materialize, canning Star Marine(tm) was a good move.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Berious posted:

I predict the gaming press will be all "No one could have suspected!!!"

What'll be funnier is the ones who've been fellating Croberts will be like: "Oh, we knew all along! Ha ha."

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I dedicate this song to Christ Roberts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRO8zXppzQ0

Please shitizens, stop masturbating to jpegs.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is this a game yet or is it still a ponzi scheme?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ash1138 posted:

then why does it look like loving garbage? it's like the desert combat mod for battlefield 1942 where jets could take off backwards

Ah sorry, when I say addressed that is CIG speak for "we will get to it eventually." Given that flight dynamics, gravity, and other basic physics aren't real important with a game in space...I expect 2018 for them to roll that out.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

vyst posted:

Is this a game yet or is it still a ponzi scheme?

Either way, it's a failure.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Booblord Zagats posted:

There's a goon-made kickstarter funded City of Heroes game being made, I'm sure it will turn in to the next SC thread one day, just smaller scale where we all will wish it was as amazing as this was

i'm doing a kickstarter soon and i can only hope it implodes into a disgusting mess like this (don't give me money)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

oh no, the shitposting is coming from inside the community

And then I checked the caller ID and I realized that the shitposting was COMING FROM UPSTAIRS.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

If EightAce is right CIG has much more cash than one would expect, and will comfortably make it through 2016 and maybe further even if the cash flow is strangled

We'll have a lot of anonymous leaks, high-profile exits, skeptical articles, random backer rage and Chrisplaining before the end

Don't worry friends this will be one long, long ride

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say that, there is some conservation of momentum evident with a hard body collision, but it doesn't seem to have been adjusted. I'm not directly contradicting you, but the ship that blats another ship off the pad is showing some imparted energy.

My favourite is the one that pauses in the middle of a collision, because the engine has to go 'poo poo, more things to handle'.

I think someone talented and with experience could extend it. Suffice to say they're hosed.

Re: space currency

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Triganic_Pu
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Ningi

Full points for the transfer of momentum; what had caught my eye more though was the in-flight physics. Ships can spin and turn on a dime, and zig-zag in every direction, as if someone is moving them around in a model editor - that was more my observation at the time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If EightAce is right CIG has much more cash than one would expect, and will comfortably make it through 2016 and maybe further even if the cash flow is strangled

We'll have a lot of anonymous leaks, high-profile exits, skeptical articles, random backer rage and Chrisplaining before the end

I guess I should make some more parody letters...

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

That assumes they spend all the remaining funds banging their heads against the wall trying to make a game. If it's clear to top brass that SQ42 aint happening they might just poo poo out whatever complies and try to exit with as many mocap studios as humanly possible.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I guess I should make some more parody letters...

Sandi would be difficult to emulate, because you'd have to wrap your head around the "almost English" that they're written in.

Ben would be easy - just mention "Wing Commander" a bunch of times, and keep trying to close the thread, even though it's a letter.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

It's fun to look at their stretch goals if you haven't in awhile:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

basically every single thing is made up. Between $3,750,000 and $4,000,000 they promised 4 new star systems, modding tools, and increased SQ42 from 35 missions to 45.

All that for $250,000? just lol that all they did was buy 100 tables from restoration hardware because they are just starting on SQ42 mission ONE today.

HKS fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 29, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

SuperSpiff posted:

For what it's worth, I agree. I knew Smartians (I came up with that myself, Reddit, be sure to credit me) would be all over it because it's a broken promise, but it was a good move given the environment CIG put themselves in. Frankly, it was not a great idea anyway. Though it was hilarious to see Reddit try play pretend and say that this would clearly be the next great MilSim shooter that puts Call of Duty to shame. Who the gently caress seriously wanted a janky FPS clone out of this anyway.

That's not to say that breaking commitments is okay, but honestly, hasn't making ridiculous claims and promises been SC's problem since the beginning? Obviously it'd be better if they stopped making them in the first place, but at least they're backing off on them when it makes sense to do so.

Yes, there's still the huge issue of CIG getting themselves into the situation in the first place, their complete and utter lack of open communication about anything of substance, and then their rapid back pedaling when questioned on anything that might threaten their whale-base. But let's be honest, for the game to actually materialize, canning Star Marine(tm) was a good move.
except it's a bad move that accomplishes nothing. they're still going to ramrod FPS gameplay into the PU and because crobbers is a terrible manager and a chickenshit to boot, he's handled it in a way that reeks of a bait and switch that even some of the cultists can't quite ignore. if he wasn't such an easily riled up goober, he wouldn't have even entertained the question on 10ftc, he would've been happy to let star marine just disappear

but it's all moot because the next year+ is going to be dedicated to sq42 which may or may not exist as more than footage of people in grey pajamas covered in ping pong balls reciting crappy dialogue. hope you like the PU as it is because that's all it's gonna be for a long time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How may words does one need to change in the lyrics of Bitches to make it about CIG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Lmg8twCkQ

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi would be difficult to emulate, because you'd have to wrap your head around the "almost English" that they're written in.

Ben would be easy - just mention "Wing Commander" a bunch of times, and keep trying to close the thread, even though it's a letter.

I could fake a Chris letter because we've all gotten used to seeing his dumb letters on the website. We could parody Ben comments by just creating fake mod posts boxes and filling in the text. Which is pretty much what I did with the chairman letter.

Sandi doesn't have anything recognizable like that. I suppose we could try a bad lip reading thing with her videos......

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

spacetoaster posted:

I could fake a Chris letter because we've all gotten used to seeing his dumb letters on the website. We could parody Ben comments by just creating fake mod posts boxes and filling in the text. Which is pretty much what I did with the chairman letter.

Sandi doesn't have anything recognizable like that. I suppose we could try a bad lip reading thing with her videos......

Just use the phrases "butt hurt," "special snowflake," and "one of the best saleswomen in the world and have been ever since I was a little girl." Easy.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Full points for the transfer of momentum; what had caught my eye more though was the in-flight physics. Ships can spin and turn on a dime, and zig-zag in every direction, as if someone is moving them around in a model editor - that was more my observation at the time.

Oh yeah, agreed. There's something entirely off about the inertia and the idea of imparted energy from thrust which underwrites the concept of a 'physics engine'.

The 'moving things around in the object editor' was something I accused 'Skyjacker' of doing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitilus/al-skyjacker
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitilus/skyjacker-space-combat-sim

It was everything that Star Citizen promised to be, but I got suspicious early on because they were effectively using concept art and big talk to attempt to push the game. They failed a couple of times, then launched a starship constructor before announcing that they were moving to San Francisco.

Since then, radio silence.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
reddit is poo poo

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

brag about yourself. you can just make poo poo up and it would be in character

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

spacetoaster posted:

Try this

Ben looks at his notes all the loving time, by the way, it's just the camera is mostly on Sandi.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hello chris you could remove the artificial speed limit if you made the ships 10,000 times larger

plees send me a (non jpeg) money

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
also leak the lovely script for sq42 i wanna markov chain it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
EightAce you can manage this thread won't snitch

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi is the easiest to emulate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

You know, with all the promises they've made so far, the reliance on nostalgia, and the desire for the backers to play dull roles in-universe, I'm surprised they haven't offered to sell an honest Space Bulldozer to push the remains of ships from the landing pads after Goons crash into them.

Everything is in-game for this right now. Stop loving around Chris - make this happen.

• Locked thread