Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Any thoughts on mixing up a DAK yellow if I have a bunch of base-color acrylics, but not a specific Afrika yellow?

I'm trying to make something close to XF-60, which seems to be the go-to for DAK yellow on armor. But, my paint mixing skills are usually pretty bad. A medium yellow + raw umber seems to be close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

COOL CORN posted:

Any thoughts on mixing up a DAK yellow if I have a bunch of base-color acrylics, but not a specific Afrika yellow?

I'm trying to make something close to XF-60, which seems to be the go-to for DAK yellow on armor. But, my paint mixing skills are usually pretty bad. A medium yellow + raw umber seems to be close?

XF-60 is way lighter and a very very tiny bit more brown. Think childrens play sand. It's close to that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you guys want silly huge kits, you should know that a few kit makes kinda specialize in the absurdly large, as long as you don't mind workin' in resin. Anigrand makes a 1/72 An-124 for god's sake. Amodel similarly makes kits of unusual size, usually Soviet/Russian subjects.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've been trying to buy an air brush set up since November last year. Because there are no model shops close enough to visit I'm restricted to on-line but I thought it would be a good idea to deal with a 'local' shop so I could at least ring them and ask the simple yet detailed questions that plague modelling (will this resin part fit this kit etc.). So I rang around a few candidates and had the best feeling about one in particular and when we started talking air brushes they claimed a really good one was 'about to come in' but they couldn't give a price till then. So I waited. And rang up after a fortnight. 'Coming soon'. So I waited. After another fortnight rang (Just before Christmas). 'Haven't forgotten will email when it comes in'. In the interim I've flown to a major city twice and cracked and impulse bought a kit (and now some paints). 25 January I get an email and the compressor listed is:

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/products/SPARISM?Sparmax%20Arism%20Compressor?Sparmax%20Arism%20Compressor

It doesn't have a reservoir tank (like I originally specified). I'm also not thrilled by the location of the water trap (just under brush). Am I being unreasonable in wanting a reservoir tank? I'm also not sure I want the bleed feature. Do I?

The equivalent with a tank is apparently ~ AUD$600.00 and that is out of my price league.

Is this one any good?

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/products/SPAC501X?Sparmax%20Compressor?Sparmax%20Compressor

The airbrush being offered is:

SPARMAX HB-040 DUAL ACTION AIR BRUSH for AUD$74.99

Is it any good?

I think I'm even more confused now than I was in November.

What about Artlogic?

http://www.ozairbrush.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=164

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/artlogic-ac330-airbrush/

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I got my compressor from hobbytools and haven't had a problem (well, it was a gift so I picked it out and someone else did the paying, but they had no problem sight the place as far as I know). It is one of the yellow dealies there, but unsure which one. I'll let you know when I get home from work. I know it was a cheapish one but it works just fine :)

Airbrush- as long as it's dual action it should be alright to start off with (again I think mine was on sale but I'll look to see what brand etc tonight)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
All righty, had a little look - that ac1418 is the compressor I got and I've had no problems with it (I haven't used it for a while though, so hopefully it starts up tomorrow and doesn't make a fool of me). I got mine from hobby tools where it is $30 less than the ozairbrush price, although not sure of shipping.

The airbrush i think is trickier because a lot of it is personal preference. The art logic one looks ok, and looks v similar to the one iwata revolution HP-CR I use (the artlogic is 0.3 where this one is 0.5. It's a little pricier and again, not sure on shipping)

It's the second one on this page

http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1700&Itemid=88

I have too too many projects on the go, I should set it all up and go nuts spraying everything tomorrow. I'm no expert with these things, so I'd say they are good practice tools, and the revolution is real nice. The compressor is nice and quiet too!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My father in law who was an OSHA inspector for like 20 years has started giving me poo poo for like 20+ cans of spraypaint hangin out in my hobby room. Anyone have any recommendations for getting an explosive materials cabinet relatively cheap? This poo poo is in the 300+ range.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

How about a metal locker?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What's the threat? A can rusting through?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Probably a fire hazard, considering there's 20+ of them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah he's concerned they'll all explode and they make special lockers that vent so you can put explosives in em

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Isn't spraypaint explosion only a thing if they stand around in the hot summer sun all day?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

signalnoise posted:

My father in law who was an OSHA inspector for like 20 years has started giving me poo poo for like 20+ cans of spraypaint hangin out in my hobby room. Anyone have any recommendations for getting an explosive materials cabinet relatively cheap? This poo poo is in the 300+ range.

We may need more information :v:

What's the risk here? One overpressures and explodes, causing all the other cans to explode?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Yeah he's concerned they'll all explode and they make special lockers that vent so you can put explosives in em

Yeah, I use them all the time at work, but vented cabinets don't do jack against fire hazard. In fact, venting increases the fire hazard because it's a path for flame to compromise the cabinet (flame arrestors don't last forever). Venting is most helpful to prevent harmful concentrations of gas and vapor building up so you don't open the door and suck up a lungful of nasty that's been subliming and evaporating in the last few weeks since someone opened the cabinet.

You're not going to explode a spray paint can unless you overpressurize it by leaving it on top of your space heater or something similar and even then you just make a mess unless there's an ignition source nearby; these things don't spontaneously combust. If you want to contain a leak then get a little plastic bin with a lid. Once in a blue moon there is a manufacturing defect that makes the can rupture when shaken but that's an immediate failure and nothing a container will prevent anyway.

OSHA is always in mega nanny mode; the right answer here is to make sure you don't have an ignition source that could torch off a leaky can and then tactfully tell your in-laws to :frogout:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Good info. I think I'll save my money, I was never all that concerned to begin with.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Uh if he wasn't wearing a neon safety vest while he said this you don't have to listen (it's in the constitution)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
A single sitting, and I got this crappy Airfix HMS Warspite together:

I think I'll go back and fill some of the biggest gaps and most visible holes, but it doesn't really feel like a kit worth putting too much love into: the pieces had tons of flash, some of them were deformed and didn't fit without extensive cutting, and the instructions were a garbled mess and told you to do a ton of stuff in a crazy order...

...and drat the British had tiny ships, the instruction book clearly says it's a 1/72 scale model kit! :P (it's really 1/600)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Picked up a SdKfz 251/1 Hanomag as a small piece to try out my airbrush on. For my first foray in airbrushing, pre-shading, etc, I think it's turning out pretty well! As soon as I figure out where my wife put the bottle of Future, I'm going to do a gloss coat, decals, then weathering. It'll be my first time using pastels to weather as well. Oh yeah, I guess I'll do the tracks somewhere in there as well.

I was going to do a DAK Hanomag, but couldn't be arsed to go to the hobby shop to pick up a decent yellow color. East front it is!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

COOL CORN posted:

Picked up a SdKfz 251/1 Hanomag as a small piece to try out my airbrush on. For my first foray in airbrushing, pre-shading, etc, I think it's turning out pretty well! As soon as I figure out where my wife put the bottle of Future, I'm going to do a gloss coat, decals, then weathering. It'll be my first time using pastels to weather as well. Oh yeah, I guess I'll do the tracks somewhere in there as well.

I was going to do a DAK Hanomag, but couldn't be arsed to go to the hobby shop to pick up a decent yellow color. East front it is!

This is amazing work for your first time! Can't wait to see your finished results.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Nice build! Just two nit picks; you put the ammo drums on the machine gun downside up (it slips over the gun, smaller side to the front), and the German gray they used was waaay waay darker.

But I have to say, that is a very nice even coat of paint for your first airbrushing, impressive even :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Molentik posted:

Nice build! Just two nit picks; you put the ammo drums on the machine gun downside up (it slips over the gun, smaller side to the front), and the German gray they used was waaay waay darker.

But I have to say, that is a very nice even coat of paint for your first airbrushing, impressive even :D

Doh. I thought something looked off about that ammo drum.

And yeah, I mixed up my own feldgrau since my Tamiya rattlecan was empty. Washes and weathering should darken it up considerably though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, german gray was darker, but I wouldn't get hung up on colors too much. People still argue to this day what the exact shade of DAK yellow was, or US naval gray, etc etc.

Just go with what looks good and what you like.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Here's a quick build, the Tamiya German Elite Infantryman. I decided to apply artistic license and paint him in the Splittermuster 31 pattern. Oh, and also I made a new light box. Can you tell?

Usually my 1:16th figures come with a lot fewer accessories, so this time I had to paint the right arm and the MP40 individually, and only glue it on after the body was painted and washed. Most of the stuff hanging off his belt was also glued on after washing (and then varnished and washed again) except the magazine pouches and the grenade, which I regret in retrospect. Still, I'm pretty happy with how the guy turned out, especially the face, which is a lot better than what I usually achieve.

The quality of the kit is very good, and it comes with a great deal of parts. Unlike the Soviet Tamiya guy that I have (they only make one in 1:16th scale, imagine that), the face came in only one piece, but the fingers were separate from the hands, making it easy to slot in the MP-40. The parts are very well matched, I was afraid that painting the arm separately would make fitting the gun difficult, but it was a piece of cake. The only complaint is that the legs come in two halves which means you not only have to sand the mould lines off the complicated surface, but also the seam in between the two halves.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

What do I do about this gap?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Does the hole not match that pin? In that case, I'd cut off the pin and just glue the tail to the fuselage.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sparatuvs posted:

What do I do about this gap?

Assuming "just press down on the part" is not a fix, can't you just sand down the registration pegs until the part sits flush?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

hosed the canopy. Fixable?

my whole plane is suffering from melty face space-marine syndrome anyway.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 31, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"MARS ATTACKS!" is finished!

Definitely an interesting piece. The detail of the sculpt was a little soft overall, but I guess that's what you get in a styrene kit. It would've been nice to have a helmet without a seam down the middle, but again, hard to do that and get the actual head inside of it. Lots of shading with pigments on this one. The body is a bit more metallic than what is being captured by the camera. Not as metallic as I'd like, but it's definitely got some sparkle to it in person. (You can click on the images to go to the Flickr page and get huge versions.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
:eyepop:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

sparatuvs posted:

my whole plane is suffering from melty face space-marine syndrome anyway.

I don't think you can salvage that canopy. You might find a replacement or buy the kit again for the parts but if it were me, I'd finish the kit as is and take value in the experience I gained putting it together.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Hey you.

Good job.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"MARS ATTACKS!"

Terrific job on the painting. The shading worked out very well! The only thing I don't like is the sculpting of the human on the ground, but nothing you can do about that.

Are those leafs from birch pods (sp?) ? I forget to pick them every autumn, here we have roughly two days to pick them between being too green and having been blown off. I've seen little dimebags of them being sold at events and online for as much as 5 :o

sparatuvs posted:

I don't think you can salvage that canopy. But what you could do is make a tissue tarp and put it over the canopy. Add a layer of dust/sand or snow over the plane and you have a nice little plane graveyard diorama! :pseudo:

Ensign, could you help me ID this tank? I think it's a BT-7, but I'm not sure...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Molentik posted:

Terrific job on the painting. The shading worked out very well! The only thing I don't like is the sculpting of the human on the ground, but nothing you can do about that.

Yeah, the martian was decent, but it's like the original sculptor spent all his time there and then popped out the guy on the base in an afternoon.

I believe the leaves are birch pod pieces, but I can't recall 100%. They came in a ground-clutter multi-pack I bought something like six years ago, and they've been kicking around in the bottom of my storage cabinet ever since. Nice to finally have a place to use them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Please tell me you painted the newspaper flat and then scrunched it up later, because if you didn't, I'm just not really sure why I'm still here

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Molentik posted:

Ensign, could you help me ID this tank? I think it's a BT-7, but I'm not sure...

It's a BT something alright. Have you got a picture showing the exhaust?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

NTRabbit posted:

Please tell me you painted the newspaper flat and then scrunched it up later, because if you didn't, I'm just not really sure why I'm still here

Heh. The newspaper was an extra bit I added to the scene. Printed it out, scrunched it up, and then trimmed the ends to match the contours of the hand so it appears to go under it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Molentik posted:

Yup, it's a BT-7. You can tell by the driver's hatch, in a BT-5 the driver's hatch structure sticks out, while in the BT-7 the entire upper front plate curves up like you see in the picture.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Calling this one basically done, before I go and over-weather it :) a few dark washes really brought the gray down to more of a feldgrau.

(i was shooting for a Poland '39 look a la this one... Apparently divisional numbers were put on the sides during the early war.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"MARS ATTACKS!" is finished!

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

COOL CORN posted:

Calling this one basically done, before I go and over-weather it :) a few dark washes really brought the gray down to more of a feldgrau.

(i was shooting for a Poland '39 look a la this one... Apparently divisional numbers were put on the sides during the early war.)

That looks great! When I saw the original I thought "that's a decent winter wash" but those dark washes did the trick.

gently caress! I just remembered I never finished my crappire.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 31, 2016