Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

A Brief History of Seven Killings is supposed to have a really great audiobook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Audiobooks aren't real literature you plebs

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You read books to children said some author I wont name.

iccyelf posted:

William Burrough's is always gold. I won't read Junky without the audio.

Did he record his own, I can't imagine anyone else voicing his stuff.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Audiobooks aren't real literature, but neither are written books, so it all evens out in the end.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The only real literature is the Akashic Records.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

Did he record his own, I can't imagine anyone else voicing his stuff.

Yeah, he did Junky which is why I can't read it now without also listening to his voice. He also did a lot of poetry/the western lands/cut ups etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
tbh I cannot imagine why anyone would bother with audiobooks but thats just me

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

because when I am running or walking home from school its hard to hold an actual book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

because when I am running or walking home from school its hard to hold an actual book

yeah but I wouldn't want to cede the authority of the reader for the sake of convenience

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the reader has no authority here

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah but I wouldn't want to cede the authority of the reader for the sake of convenience

In some cases I'm happy to cede the authority to a much better reader whose performance lends real depth and meaning to the material: Patrick Tull reading Patrick O'Brian, say, or John Malkovich reading Kurt Vonnegut. I admit those cases are rare, though.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
What do you get out of reader authority to be so wed to it? I think I must be a bad reader because audio always helps me get the subtleties of a book. Legend has it Franz Kafka used to laugh at his own writing. It depresses me. I'd love to hear someone read it with the humour emphasised.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

plus it takes loving forever.

You can polish off a 250 page book in like 3-4 hours but as an audiobook its like a whole day

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hello literature thread, I finished The Brothers Karamazov yesterday and it made me emotional. Cannot believe there was a sequel planned that never happened, I am basically having the problems I usually have with cancelled comic books with actual books for grown-ups.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You can polish off a 250 page book in like 3-4 hours but as an audiobook its like a whole day

OK but, again, no one here listens to audiobooks instead of reading the genuine article at work, while exercising, on a roadtrip, etc.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

again, I use it when I walk or run. I don't sit around my apt listening to books

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

iccyelf posted:

What do you get out of reader authority to be so wed to it? I think I must be a bad reader because audio always helps me get the subtleties of a book. Legend has it Franz Kafka used to laugh at his own writing. It depresses me. I'd love to hear someone read it with the humour emphasised.
Franz Kafka laughed at his own writing because Franz Kafka was a crazy goon and his books were literally how he saw the world. I don’t think he ever wanted any of them published.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
There's obvious humour in Kafka, in that much of what he wrote is frankly ridiculous. It's not contradictory in any way that they're also grim, violent and depressing stories.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mostly use it for books ive already read, and i like to go running while i listen to them.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Franz Kafka laughed at his own writing because Franz Kafka was a crazy goon and his books were literally how he saw the world. I don’t think he ever wanted any of them published.

He probably wanted them published. I can't remember who said this, but if you don't want your work being seen by the world you burn it yourself, you don't tell someone where it is and politely request they burn it.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Swillkitsch posted:

Hello literature thread, I finished The Brothers Karamazov yesterday and it made me emotional. Cannot believe there was a sequel planned that never happened, I am basically having the problems I usually have with cancelled comic books with actual books for grown-ups.

Hello, that is a very good book and Dostoyevsky is a very good writer have you read Notes from Underground? It's not really like Karamazov at all but it's very good and fun.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
basically, read all of dostoyevsky, even his prison camp book

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

He probably wanted them published. I can't remember who said this, but if you don't want your work being seen by the world you burn it yourself, you don't tell someone where it is and politely request they burn it.
Especially when the guy you've got on the job practically worships your work. Then again, I can quite seem Kafka wanting to destroy the papers but not being able to.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

at the date posted:

OK but, again, no one here listens to audiobooks instead of reading the genuine article at work, while exercising, on a roadtrip, etc.

Shibawanko posted:

I mostly use it for books ive already read, and i like to go running while i listen to them.

blue squares posted:

again, I use it when I walk or run. I don't sit around my apt listening to books

listen to NPR then nerds

NERDS

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How are the translations usually on the free (or super cheap) versions of non-English classics on Kindle?

They rarely seem to give information on who the translation is by. I assume the versions in Penguin Classics editions etc are copyrighted so it can't be those versions.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

peanut- posted:

How are the translations usually on the free (or super cheap) versions of non-English classics on Kindle?

They rarely seem to give information on who the translation is by. I assume the versions in Penguin Classics editions etc are copyrighted so it can't be those versions.

Skip those. There's no point in tormenting yourself with some lovely bowdlerized Victorian translation.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

peanut- posted:

Honestly, Penguin Classics versions are usually the exact same out of copyright translations just they've put them in a book and are selling them. Sometimes they're fine (usually mostly fine for languages close to English linguistically), sometimes they're awful. If you don't mind spending the money too much it's probably worth going for an Oxford Classics or something like that, they tend to have top translations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Good to know, thanks. I will look for Oxford Classics then. Seems like they're priced in line with paperbacks which is fine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Skip those. There's no point in tormenting yourself with some lovely bowdlerized Victorian translation.

rare moment of Ras Het/Mel Mudkiper consensus

peanut- posted:

Good to know, thanks. I will look for Oxford Classics then. Seems like they're priced in line with paperbacks which is fine.

Really anything before say 1945 or so is gonna have pretty severe translation issues to some extent.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Honestly, Penguin Classics versions are usually the exact same out of copyright translations just they've put them in a book and are selling them.

This is not true? Like, at all? As far as I can tell all Penguin Classics are original translations, so the absolute oldest ones are from the late 40s, but they publish new translations all the time, and almost every entry level classic has a Penguin translation from the 90s or later. Obviously they can go wrong on a case by case basis, but it's not even worthwhile to compare Penguin Classics to some utter garbage with no notes or introduction like Wordsworth Classics. Between Penguin and Oxford Classics it's usually a coin toss.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Especially when the guy you've got on the job practically worships your work. Then again, I can quite seem Kafka wanting to destroy the papers but not being able to.

That's the way I've always interpreted his request to Brod. He both did and didn't want to publish the work, and to relieve his anxiety over that tension, he offloaded the decision to someone else. Though it's clearly true that he didn't want to see what the result of that publication would be, if it were to happen.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Oh weird, I could've sworn every Penguin Classic old Russian book I've ever picked up was the Constance Garnett translation + the same sort of thing with various other languages. I thought they were mostly trash with some good ones when it was a book that hadn't already been translated 200 years ago by a chimney sweep, but I must be completely misremembering.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Maybe I'm thinking of WOrdsworth? I'm sure there's a big publishing house that literally just takes the old terrible translations of things and puts them in a book to sell

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of WOrdsworth? I'm sure there's a big publishing house that literally just takes the old terrible translations of things and puts them in a book to sell

Barnes and Noble does this super hard

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Oh weird, I could've sworn every Penguin Classic old Russian book I've ever picked up was the Constance Garnett translation + the same sort of thing with various other languages. I thought they were mostly trash with some good ones when it was a book that hadn't already been translated 200 years ago by a chimney sweep, but I must be completely misremembering.

I took a quick look at Amazon and Garnett's translations (which I've never read, so I'm not saying anything in that regard) are used at least in Modern Library, Dover Thrift and NYRB Classics editions.

But yeah translationwise I trust Penguin. Although they didn't use very good glue back in the '60s so there's a lot of just like loose yellow pages in my shelf.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

CestMoi posted:

Wordsworth is the one that's public domain text + pulic domain cover + cheapest printing method possible, yeah.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

My complete Walt Whitman is Wordsworth published and I'm not sure it's even real paper.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

CestMoi posted:

There are, or at least used to be, cheap Penguin Popular Classics that cost like £1.99 here, similar to the Wordsworth ones but even worse quality, they say they're made from recycled paper. I picked up a couple from Borders when those were still around. The Modern Classics and the older Classics also look different and they're upwards of about £8. I tend to find the translations fine in the more expensive ones. Some pictures for context:

http://imgur.com/g8JwnQ8 Popular Classics
http://imgur.com/u8kSEuH Modern Classics
http://imgur.com/iVCgSPn Classics
http://imgur.com/l0a9aX7

Apologies for the encroaching purple sock.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Here's Wiki:

quote:

Penguin Popular Classics, introduced in 1994. The Popular Classics are cheaper paperback editions of texts under the Classics imprints, selling for £2[5] typically as of 2010. Popular Classics do not come with the critical addenda present in the 'Black Classics'; they are reprints of classics. The exception is Shakespeare's plays, which have critical addenda written by George Bagshawe Harrison appended;[6] these addenda were originally found in the Penguin Shakespeare editions of the 1930s,[6] which makes them somewhat outdated. Popular Classics issued in the 1990s came with full cover art and a cream back, not unlike the Classics. Most Popular Classics reprinted in the 21st century have a plain, lime green cover with white lettering. They were a response to Wordsworth Classics, a series of very cheap reprints which imitated Penguin in using black as its signature colour.[7]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm starting to stall out on Recognitions already. The tone of this book varies a lot from page to page.