Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

prometheus was garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I didn't, and still don't "get" EoE, but at least I walked away from it with the impression there was something to get.

3.33 didn't leave me confused or overwhelmed like EoE or the series finale to the 1960's TV series The Prisoner, it left me disappointed.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

3 really isn't that confusing. It's straightforward as hell compared to the end of the TV show and EoE. That's why it's so cool to see people freak out about it in the same way. I like everything Anno's made since Eva (haven't seen cutie honey, heard it was bad) but nothing until 3 has shown he still has the ability to be so provocative. I'm glad he's still got it and am excited for 4.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Glad to know if I ever make a bad movie I can just explain away the audience's dismay as me being deliberately "provocative."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

prometheus was garbage

I don't even know why anybody on the planet cares about it, it's such a forgettably bland movie.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

I don't even know why anybody on the planet cares about it, it's such a forgettably bland movie.

Actually it was brilliant because it was provocative.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

In Training posted:

If you aren't struck my the imagery of Space God being hentai'd to death by a religious girl's aborted Cthulhu baby then I don't know what to tell you.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Glad to know if I ever make a bad movie I can just explain away the audience's dismay as me being deliberately "provocative."

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

you are (not) engaging

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If you aren't struck my the imagery of Space God being hentai'd to death by a religious girl's aborted Cthulhu baby then I don't know what to tell you.

I thought it was very profound the way the director chose to express how "blinds" us to the harm we're doing to the ones we love, and that prejudice is instilled in us by the establishment (symbolized by David the Robot putting an eye virus in the guy's drink).

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Applewhite posted:

I thought it was very profound the way the director chose to express how "blinds" us to the harm we're doing to the ones we love, and that prejudice is instilled in us by the establishment (symbolized by David the Robot putting an eye virus in the guy's drink).

Never thought I'd see a "Analyzing Symbols Is Dumb" post in the Evangelion thread.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Its total bullshit to write off legitimate criticism with "lol no you dont get it, ur not watching teh movie right"

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Its total bullshit to write off legitimate criticism with "lol no you dont get it, ur not watching teh movie right"

That's true. If I see any I shan't.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

you are (not) engaging

Lol

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

one of the few legit things said was that the spaceship looks kinda goofy. I'll agree with that (I like it anyway though)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zas posted:

you are (not) engaging

I don't think your attempts to dismiss my criticisms of 3.33 by comparing them to past criticisms of EoE are apropos because the issues I had with EoE (too abstract, too heavy, too much symbolism) are very different from my issues with 3.33 (unsympathetic characters, ugly visuals, poor editing, garish CGI and a shallow, uncompelling narrative). I didn't have any difficulty following 3.33 any more than I had a difficulty following the plot to "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters." But I think both were simultaneously dumb and overwrought.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

People aren't really critiquing much though. For example, I think a really dumb part of the movie is the shot where Mari's boobs are flopping around like waterbeds. I'm not inherently opposed to fan service if it seems to have a greater purpose (2.0 actually does this well in parts) but it really clashes extremely with every other aspect of 3.0.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh and there is one part where Shinji is having a breakdown in the room full of pipes, and in a series full of spectacularly realized mental breakdowns, it seems pretty uninspired. An off kilter camera and some of the overlaid images effect (don't know if there's a better term for this) of shinji's wide eyes. They've done more subtle and better scenes dealing with similar moments previously and it sticks out to me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

People aren't really critiquing much though. For example, I think a really dumb part of the movie is the shot where Mari's boobs are flopping around like waterbeds. I'm not inherently opposed to fan service if it seems to have a greater purpose (2.0 actually does this well in parts) but it really clashes extremely with every other aspect of 3.0.

I didn't bring that up but I also found that kind of off-putting (and this is coming from me, Applewhite).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

Oh and there is one part where Shinji is having a breakdown in the room full of pipes, and in a series full of spectacularly realized mental breakdowns, it seems pretty uninspired. An off kilter camera and some of the overlaid images effect (don't know if there's a better term for this) of shinji's wide eyes. They've done more subtle and better scenes dealing with similar moments previously and it sticks out to me.

Ding ding ding! Yeah that's a really good example of the sort of lackluster poo poo 3.33 throws at the viewer. It's like "omg so edgy!"

I'd also like to call attention to the scene where Mama Ayanami is being downloaded into the Evangelion matrix and she has all those wings and halos and sparkles and stuff. It looks like a scene right out of teenage girl's Hot Topic sketchbook or maybe one of the more visually offensive Korean MMOs.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Applewhite posted:

unsympathetic characters, ugly visuals, poor editing, garish CGI and a shallow, uncompelling narrative

I get that for you personally these aren't problems with EoE, but with the exception of the visuals, which are generally praised, these are very common complaints. Also very vacuous - you're not really saying much!

imo 'unsympathetic characters' is one of the worst criticisms you can make about anything, but especially so with eva.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I vividly remember this shot because it looked so cheap, so budget, just so out of place in an otherwise good-looking film

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zas posted:

imo 'unsympathetic characters' is one of the worst criticisms you can make about anything, but especially so with eva.

Most of the cast are interesting people who I would not want to actually hang out with so heck I agree

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

actually 'too heavy' is even worse. like, that's why people say you don't get it, there is no such thing as too heavy! to think that goes against everything eva is about

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zas posted:

actually 'too heavy' is even worse. like, that's why people say you don't get it, there is no such thing as too heavy! to think that goes against everything eva is about

I've said several times that I don't "get" EoE. So I'm well familiar with the sensation of what it feels like to not get something. I'm not feeling that with 3.33. What I felt after watching 3.33 was more akin to how I felt after watching Transformers: Age of Extinction.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm bummed I didn't catch the Eva simul, because I would have liked to have chatted about a lot of stuff while watching the series.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I didn't, and still don't "get" EoE, but at least I walked away from it with the impression there was something to get.

3.33 didn't leave me confused or overwhelmed like EoE or the series finale to the 1960's TV series The Prisoner, it left me disappointed.

Essentially 3.33 is explained as such:
3.0 is essentially what would of happened in the original series if he had actually manned up instead.

In 3.0 we are lead to beleave Shinji caused 3rd impact. In actually he was just not around to stop it. The events and arrivals of the Angels continued as the original series but instead there was no Shinji or Rei to stop them like they did in the original. When Shinji removed the spears in 3.0 he let loose an angle. If you noticed dosent this angel look a lot like the Angel that killed Rei2 in the original series?

TLDR: 3.0 is a movie about how the original series would of went if Shinji did something different.

On a meta subtext level : Life does not always go the way you plan and can be painful. But at least your alive.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 4, 2016

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

In Training posted:

I'll agree to that. I didn't mind anything except the visuals, which looked just...off. It was similar to the "I hate you" phone call bit in EoE but not as effective. Not really anything fundamentally wrong with the idea but the way it looks in the end seems like I dunno. Dodgy computer work or something. Luckily it only lasts a moment.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Essentially 3.33 is explained as such:
3.0 is essentially what would of happened in the original series if he had actually manned up instead.

In 3.0 we are lead to beleave Shinji caused 3rd impact. In actually he was just not around to stop it. The events and arrivals of the Angels continued as the original series but instead there was no Shinji or Rei to stop them like they did in the original. When Shinji removed the spears in 3.0 he let loose an angle. If you noticed dosent this angel look a lot like the Angel that killed Rei2 in the original series?

TLDR: 3.0 is a movie about how the original series would of went if Shinji did something different.

On a meta subtext level : Life does not always go the way you plan and can be painful. But at least your alive.

No I got that. I missed the Re2 parallel cuz it's been a while since I watched the original, but I got the other stuff. I still maintain it was not presented well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh I liked that shot, though I think it works best with distorted, repeated dialogue playing over it.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

No I got that. I missed the Re2 parallel cuz it's been a while since I watched the original, but I got the other stuff. I still maintain it was not presented well.

It needs 4.0. I heard someone say this and I agree, it will be a better film with more context. (Though this does not excuse everything).

Look its not great but its not awful. What I find curious about the fandom though is that they got exactly what they wanted in 2.0 but are confused about 3.0.

Anno has always worked under the principals of "life can be hard or happy, being alive allows you to experience both", why would he change?

He gave the fans what they wanted but he kept his rules and his format, 3.0 was never going to be any other way.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

I'm bummed I didn't catch the Eva simul, because I would have liked to have chatted about a lot of stuff while watching the series.

You should post stuff as you rewatch the series anyway, talking about Eva is good

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

It needs 4.0. I heard someone say this and I agree, it will be a better film with more context. (Though this does not excuse everything).

Look its not great but its not awful. What I find curious about the fandom though is that they got exactly what they wanted in 2.0 but are confused about 3.0.

Anno has always worked under the principals of "life can be hard or happy, being alive allows you to experience both", why would he change?

Personally I feel thats the most damning criticism you can make. If a film can't stand on its own, its not a good film.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Personally I feel thats the most damning criticism you can make. If a film can't stand on its own, its not a good film.

Its not damning , its just something I feel is true as due to the following :

If this was another season to the original series the serial format would do it more justice than films would.

A proper critisim would be Anno should of just made the rebuilds as a second season rather than set of films. There is too much crammed into 3.0 that needs fleshing out, but wont be seen for at least another decade.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 4, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

You should post stuff as you rewatch the series anyway, talking about Eva is good

I have the blu Ray rips now and 3 just showed up again, but I need to be in a particular place to watch it again. Maybe post-Dark Souls III depression?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ban Eva threads again

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Nah.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

I have the blu Ray rips now and 3 just showed up again, but I need to be in a particular place to watch it again. Maybe post-Dark Souls III depression?

Good luck. Watching the first hour of disappearance got me in the mindset to watch Eva haha

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Foul Ole Ron posted:

He gave the fans what they wanted but he kept his rules and his format, 3.0 was never going to be any other way.

I started 3.33 fully expecting another trippy mind-bending experience that would challenge me intellectually and aesthetically ,I was open to the idea that there wouldn't be any cool, climactic battles or awesome hardware. I was even expecting it would find a way to make me angry. What I ended up getting was a huge letdown. I'm not upset like "grr what is this??" I'm upset like "I know exactly what this is: it's poo poo."

I guess I can give Anno credit for still being able to surprise his audience because I'll admit that discovering 3.33 was bad was a complete surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

Good luck. Watching the first hour of disappearance got me in the mindset to watch Eva haha

That whole event was awesome and I haven't really rewatched a show in its entirety since. Just following along the seasonal stuff and what not. I haven't really seen too many movies recently either, in kind of a winter funk.