Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Good thing I am a post structuralist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

Read lots of poems by Sappho and also The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pisan. I don't know if the second ones good but I'v heard it is and it's very very old and by a lady

ok i'll do this

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Good thing I am a post structuralist

You also have to leave

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm one of the four people who are secretly Thomas Pynchon irl
Well, don't hold out on us, who are the other three?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Bye guys it's been fun

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I wish we'd known sooner it was that easy

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
At what point do we stop being post-whatever and just get to be things again?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Nakar posted:

Elvis, JD Salinger and the dude who shot JFK - it'scommon knowledge bro

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Two of those are the same person and one was invented by the KGB, do you take me for a fool?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Smoking Crow posted:

I was told I won't fully understand it because I'm not Chinese c/d

my copy had 2-3 possible translations of each verse, cuz almost every word could mean several things. it actually worked ok. but no, it's no more possible to fully understand tao te ching as it is to become more enlightened than mallamp

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I can guarantee Christine de Pizan is really interesting if you're already interested in late medieval Europe and women and late medieval women. Which everybody should be anyway :*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nakar posted:

I'm Thomas Pynchon.

Ask me anything.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

What are you wearing?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mallamp posted:

What are you wearing?

A sweater with a collared shirt underneath, leather jacket and fedora.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

This thread is a safe space from post-modernism

All Post-Modernist have to leave this thread now

Eat my poo poo.

It's like a negro's penis.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

*flees down the nearest toilet*

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I've been reading a collection of work by Paul van Ostaijen. He's real good, you guys should learn dutch so you can read him. He wrote great poetry but also lots of cool essays and short stories which I didn't know before reading this collection.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

200 pages of Barnes is 200 too many.

This guy gets it.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Apparently Annie Proulx is finishing up and publishing an 800 page epic this year.

I really liked The Shipping News so maybe I will give it a shot

guess who has the manuscript

(me)

Also reading the MS of lionel shriver's new one

ehhhh

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Has anyone read Shakespeare beyond the high school stuff (Hamlet etc.), is it worth it? Reading plays feels wrong

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I've been going to see unabridged readings instead of reading them myself but I go with a relative who insists you ought to both read and watch and she's probably right but :effort:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

mallamp posted:

Has anyone read Shakespeare beyond the high school stuff (Hamlet etc.), is it worth it? Reading plays feels wrong

Seeing the plays is obviously preferable but reading isn't bad.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Merchant of Venice is really cool.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

Unfortunately, no one has.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

CestMoi posted:

Unfortunately, no one has.
Too bad, have you read the ulysses by virginia woolfenstein?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I find it hard to read plays as well, which is why it's a godsend to find online versions of Shakespeare plays etc. That's my tiparoo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Apparently Annie Proulx is finishing up and publishing an 800 page epic this year.

I really liked The Shipping News so maybe I will give it a shot

i thought Postcards was incredible and the Shipping News was good too. also enjoyed Heart Songs which is a collection of early short stories. but after Accordian Crimes I kind of lost interest in her because that one really bored me for some reason

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I wonder what happened in 2010-2013. I looked at book barn archives and before that it's Faulkner and other decent stuff (mostly, sure 5 pageDan Brown too and people reading Darwin all the time when Dawkins was edgy) then suddenly BOOM Star Wars mega thread,pewwpeww charge your lasers for Fantasy Space Opera MegaThread let's read loving Wheel of Time

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear

The Belgian posted:

I've been reading a collection of work by Paul van Ostaijen. He's real good, you guys should learn dutch so you can read him. He wrote great poetry but also lots of cool essays and short stories which I didn't know before reading this collection.

really? i remember it from hi school as some bullshit typographical poetry that aged really badly

i though the go to flemish stuff to read is the dalkey published louis paul boons "the chappelekkes road" or however its translated into english

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Here's something from Holland about literature.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Four-Twenty posted:

really? i remember it from hi school as some bullshit typographical poetry that aged really badly

i though the go to flemish stuff to read is the dalkey published louis paul boons "the chappelekkes road" or however its translated into english

Yeah, in high school he's mostly brought up because of the typographic poetry. But reading this collection of his stuff, turns out there's a lot more! There's 'regular' poetry, short stories, cool psychoanalysis essays, all kinds of stuff. And some of the typographic poetry is actually quite good. There's much more to him than Boem! Paukeslag which is all you see in high school as far as I remember.

I've never read Chapel Roal, I'm sorry to say (but planning to do so some day). I've read one of Boon's short stories but it didn't really grab me.

Shibawanko posted:

Here's something from Holland about literature.

Gummbah's real cool too

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What are some really good books about sex that aren't smut but are about exploring what sex means to the psyche, to society, etc. There's Lolita and the power of desire. What else?

The more boner inducing the better imo

I assume I should read Portnoy's Complaint. Also, Ada by Nabokov

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

fear of flying and a sport and a pastime to go with portnoys complaint

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 7, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Foucault's three volumes on the history of sexuality, but I don't think your boner will benefit much. It's brilliant work though, naturally.

Sade's 120 Days? That'll take your boner one way or the other, for sure.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

blue squares posted:

What are some really good books about sex that aren't smut but are about exploring what sex means to the psyche, to society, etc. There's Lolita and the power of desire. What else?

Humanae Vitae by Giovanni Montini is a little dry but otherwise strong.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Naked Lunch

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sabbaths Theater and almost everything by Roth, Updike, Henry Miller

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
Anaïs Nin. Kathy Acker. Virginie Despentes' Baise Moi. These are all good picks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

iccyelf posted:

Anaïs Nin. Kathy Acker. Virginie Despentes' Baise Moi. These are all good pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

Women as Lovers by Elfriede Jelinek(probably any of her stuff is good but I've only read this one).