Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Carillon posted:

Wouldn't that not be great for me later? Or can I get away with it if it's dilute enough.

No, it won't hurt you, even when normal household bleach used in this way is not diluted. You should clean it/wash it afterwards though, because the taste isnt nice.

a better way to prevent mold is to clean it in a normal way directly after use and make sure they get the time to dry thoroughly before storing them in a cupboard or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Yes, that's right.
Good to know! I've done it all sorts of ways in the past but recently have been stir frying the egg on its own for a minute or two, larger bits. I used to do it this way and it certainly would have less chance of getting burnt...!

Tonight found out grilled mackerel noodle stir fry is awesome. Even with random left over veg and ancient egg noodles (crap photo):

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, thanks for the thread

How come I see recipes for shrimp or beef in a stir-fry, but never chicken? Is it because you can't thin-slice chicken like you can with beef?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I've done this one from serious eats and it always comes out good.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I wondered the same thing but I think maybe the reality is just that chicken is not too tricky? You can just follow the instructions on the OP for a standard stir fry & use pretty much what you want with it in terms of veg. Don't want any excess marinade. Make sure to char the chicken for a minute when it first goes in. I like to do 1 inch scallion pieces halved lengthways as I find they retain more flavour. Add noodles when you put the chicken back in with the sauces and you're all good.

Only thing about the OP's standard recipe which I'm not sure about is adding minced ginger +garlic to the marinade. I find they can burn when you char the meat in the first minute, so I do as the recipe above says and stir fry some slices for 30s in the oil first, and remove them before i add the meat.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 22, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone know how to make these things?

They're fried dessert things that are filled with purple stuff that is either sweet potato or taro, we're not really sure.

They are delightful and I would like to learn how to do this.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

you want to cook this? so interesting

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

El Grillo posted:

Yeah I wondered the same thing but I think maybe the reality is just that chicken is not too tricky? You can just follow the instructions on the OP for a standard stir fry & use pretty much what you want with it in terms of veg. Don't want any excess marinade. Make sure to char the chicken for a minute when it first goes in. I like to do 1 inch scallion pieces halved lengthways as I find they retain more flavour. Add noodles when you put the chicken back in with the sauces and you're all good.

Only thing about the OP's standard recipe which I'm not sure about is adding minced ginger +garlic to the marinade. I find they can burn when you char the meat in the first minute, so I do as the recipe above says and stir fry some slices for 30s in the oil first, and remove them before i add the meat.

I am a heathen and use powder for just this reason

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

They're fried dessert things that are filled with purple stuff that is either sweet potato or taro, we're not really sure.

looks like it might just be mashed purple yam that's rolled in white bread and fried?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Girlfriend says it looks like it's made with rice flour and taro. Of course nobody has any idea what it's called "but it's very delicious".

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
E: I fukt up

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

Fried taro bread
http://gitamawarsih.tumblr.com/post/65316593381/this-is-called-fried-taro-bread-you-can-easily
(I've seen pics of the taro paste from light lavender to deep purple)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's in the right vein but the wrapping is definitely not white bread, the texture is totally different. There's no glutenyness to it, it's like an amalgamation of little crispy spheres.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Asked around a bit more and it could be 红豆派 or 紫薯酥. Both seem different but close enough.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

i hope my friend dahmer has a happy ending
Please advise how I can avoid Treyf Food Stuffs when ordering from a Chinese Restaurant; I have recently developed an Enjoyment of Chinese Foods; the Local Restaurants serve many delicious dishes; with predominantly Sweet and Salty Flavours; and a Gentle yet Stimulating Texture; my Favourite Dish is Honey Chicken With Boiled Rice; my Second Favourite Dish (if Honey Chicken is not available) is Shanghai Noodles With Chicken. However I have had several unsatisfactory Experiences with Chinese Restaurants due to their provision of Food that is Treyf despite my having only ordered Food that I know is Kosher such as Chicken; Boiled Rice; Mush Rooms; Water. On one Occasion I went to Local Restaurant 1; it was a Tuesday at 12:11pm; the Restaurant was quite busy; the Waitress asked me what I would like to eat and I clearly stated that I would like to eat a Honey Chicken With Boiled Rice and Water; however when the Honey Chicken arrived it was not served with Boiled Rice; it was served with Fried Rice; the Rice was hard and had sharp edges that felt unpleasant to my Mouth Membranes; further more it was contaminated with Small Shrimps and chunks of Pork Meat; I could not eat the Rice; and many of the Small Shrimps and Pork Meat Chunks were touching my Honey Chicken; so I was unable to eat the Honey Chicken due to cross contamination; I was forced to have only Water for Lunch; and was thus hungry for the remainder of the day; I did not make a Complaint because I have done Significant Research into the Culture of East Asian Peoples; I understand the importance of Saving Face (avoiding Embarrassment and Harsh Feed Back); the Waitress was very young (approx. 17 years of age) and I did not want to cause her to Lose Face (become Embarrassed) although she had committed a Significant Wrong. Due to Disappointment with this Meal I instead chose to patronise Local Restaurant 2. One (1) week after the Incident I went to Local Restaurant 2; Tuesday is my Chinese Food Day; on which I enjoy eating Chinese Food; on Wednesday I eat at my House; on Thursday I eat at my House; on Friday I eat at my House; on Saturday I eat at my House; on Sunday I eat at my House; on Monday I eat at the Café. On this Tuesday at Local Restaurant 2 (12:05pm; the Restaurant was Not Busy) I ordered Shanghai Noodles With Chicken; having first established with the Waitress (Anglo White; Mature Female [approx. 55 years]; Bleached Hair; Hairy Arms) that there was no Pork in the Shanghai Noodles Recipe; however when the Shanghai Noodles arrived at my Table the Dish contained Numerous Prawns; of large Size. I said Why Does This Dish Contain Prawns; I said I Can Not Eat Prawns; I said They Are Aquatic Insects. The Waitress became Hostile; she said If You’re Allergic You Should Have Said So; she said Combination Noodles Has Prawns In It; she said That’s What Combination Means; she said Chicken Beef and Prawns. I said I Did Not Order A Combination Dish; I said I Ordered Shanghai Noodles With Chicken. She said You Ordered Combination Noodles; she said I Heard You; she said Didn’t He Order Combination Noodles; the Other Waitress (a Young Female [approx. 25 years] Anglo White) said I Don’t Know; she said I Didn’t Hear. I said I Ordered Shanghai Noodles With Chicken; I said I Do Not Enjoy Beef So I Would Not Order Combination Noodles; I said The Words Do Not Sound Similar; I said I Enunciated Clearly; I said I Do Not Have A Strong Accent Or A Speech Impediment; I said I Do Not Know Why You Did Not Understand Me; I said You Have Failed In Your Job. She said I Guess You Want Your Money Back; I said I Do Not Want My Money Back; I said I Am Feeling Upset; I put the Bowl of Shanghai Noodles with Prawns on the Floor (I do not know why I did this) and walked out of the Restaurant at high speed; I felt very upset; I went to the Church Yard where there is significant Tree Shade; and sat in the Bushes. I have not returned to Local Restaurant 2 since that Day; and I feel Nervous when I patronise Local Restaurant 1; they have served Pork Chunks and Small Shrimp to me against my Wishes once; I fear that they will do it again. Please advise how I can avoid a Repeat of this Situation; that is to say the Delivery of Combination Shanghai Noodles when I ask clearly for Chicken; if there is a Special Phrase in a Chinese Dialect that I can use to communicate directly to the Cooks that I do not wish for Pork; Prawns; Oysters; Other; but simply Chicken; a Pure and Pleasant Meat. Thank You and G-d Bless.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

Please advise how I can avoid Treyf Food Stuffs when ordering from a Chinese Restaurant

Hello.

You should explicitly say you are keeping kosher.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tell me what I can do with pork tenderloin.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

Please advise how I can avoid Treyf Food Stuffs when ordering from a Chinese Restaurant; I have recently developed an Enjoyment of Chinese Foods; the Local Restaurants serve many delicious dishes; with predominantly Sweet and Salty Flavours; and a Gentle yet Stimulating Texture; my Favourite Dish is Honey Chicken With Boiled Rice; my Second Favourite Dish (if Honey Chicken is not available) is Shanghai Noodles With Chicken. However I have had several unsatisfactory Experiences with Chinese Restaurants due to their provision of Food that is Treyf despite my having only ordered Food that I know is Kosher such as Chicken; Boiled Rice; Mush Rooms; Water. On one Occasion I went to Local Restaurant 1; it was a Tuesday at 12:11pm; the Restaurant was quite busy; the Waitress asked me what I would like to eat and I clearly stated that I would like to eat a Honey Chicken With Boiled Rice and Water; however when the Honey Chicken arrived it was not served with Boiled Rice; it was served with Fried Rice; the Rice was hard and had sharp edges that felt unpleasant to my Mouth Membranes; further more it was contaminated with Small Shrimps and chunks of Pork Meat; I could not eat the Rice; and many of the Small Shrimps and Pork Meat Chunks were touching my Honey Chicken; so I was unable to eat the Honey Chicken due to cross contamination; I was forced to have only Water for Lunch; and was thus hungry for the remainder of the day; I did not make a Complaint because I have done Significant Research into the Culture of East Asian Peoples; I understand the importance of Saving Face (avoiding Embarrassment and Harsh Feed Back); the Waitress was very young (approx. 17 years of age) and I did not want to cause her to Lose Face (become Embarrassed) although she had committed a Significant Wrong. Due to Disappointment with this Meal I instead chose to patronise Local Restaurant 2. One (1) week after the Incident I went to Local Restaurant 2; Tuesday is my Chinese Food Day; on which I enjoy eating Chinese Food; on Wednesday I eat at my House; on Thursday I eat at my House; on Friday I eat at my House; on Saturday I eat at my House; on Sunday I eat at my House; on Monday I eat at the Café. On this Tuesday at Local Restaurant 2 (12:05pm; the Restaurant was Not Busy) I ordered Shanghai Noodles With Chicken; having first established with the Waitress (Anglo White; Mature Female [approx. 55 years]; Bleached Hair; Hairy Arms) that there was no Pork in the Shanghai Noodles Recipe; however when the Shanghai Noodles arrived at my Table the Dish contained Numerous Prawns; of large Size. I said Why Does This Dish Contain Prawns; I said I Can Not Eat Prawns; I said They Are Aquatic Insects. The Waitress became Hostile; she said If You’re Allergic You Should Have Said So; she said Combination Noodles Has Prawns In It; she said That’s What Combination Means; she said Chicken Beef and Prawns. I said I Did Not Order A Combination Dish; I said I Ordered Shanghai Noodles With Chicken. She said You Ordered Combination Noodles; she said I Heard You; she said Didn’t He Order Combination Noodles; the Other Waitress (a Young Female [approx. 25 years] Anglo White) said I Don’t Know; she said I Didn’t Hear. I said I Ordered Shanghai Noodles With Chicken; I said I Do Not Enjoy Beef So I Would Not Order Combination Noodles; I said The Words Do Not Sound Similar; I said I Enunciated Clearly; I said I Do Not Have A Strong Accent Or A Speech Impediment; I said I Do Not Know Why You Did Not Understand Me; I said You Have Failed In Your Job. She said I Guess You Want Your Money Back; I said I Do Not Want My Money Back; I said I Am Feeling Upset; I put the Bowl of Shanghai Noodles with Prawns on the Floor (I do not know why I did this) and walked out of the Restaurant at high speed; I felt very upset; I went to the Church Yard where there is significant Tree Shade; and sat in the Bushes. I have not returned to Local Restaurant 2 since that Day; and I feel Nervous when I patronise Local Restaurant 1; they have served Pork Chunks and Small Shrimp to me against my Wishes once; I fear that they will do it again. Please advise how I can avoid a Repeat of this Situation; that is to say the Delivery of Combination Shanghai Noodles when I ask clearly for Chicken; if there is a Special Phrase in a Chinese Dialect that I can use to communicate directly to the Cooks that I do not wish for Pork; Prawns; Oysters; Other; but simply Chicken; a Pure and Pleasant Meat. Thank You and G-d Bless.

Relax Chinese food is safe treyf

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
stay treyf, otter ghost

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Made a huge batch of this (bak kwa, that's two separate pieces up there):

I wish I had a picture of the finished plate, but we mowed them down pretty fast. Made a really simple salad underneath, a dressing with some similar flavors (using this fish sauce, which is just incredible. Not shilling, I swear. Also the website has a kinda loud video about fish on its main page: http://redboatfishsauce.com/). Topped with chunks of bak kwa and little slices of these kinda old and tarter-than-they-should-be mandarin oranges. The difference in texture between the chewy bak kwa and the crisp veggies with those little pops of orange were great.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 10, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Stupid short question: Is Chinese sausage generally sweet? More so than western non-breakfast sausages typically are? I'm trying to figure out if I just picked a weird brand/variety or if they're all sweet.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Kenji did a post on fried rice, it's short and interesting: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-fried-rice-chinese-thai-wok-technique-right-type-of-rice.html

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 4, 2016

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

LordSaturn posted:

Stupid short question: Is Chinese sausage generally sweet? More so than western non-breakfast sausages typically are? I'm trying to figure out if I just picked a weird brand/variety or if they're all sweet.

The most common ones are sweet, yes.

EDIT: Sweet in the sense that they are sweeter than western sausages. It's more of a savory sweet than a savory salty, if that makes sense.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought there was 2 kinds of Chinese sausage, until I went to a large Asian grocer and my world was opened up to an entire shelf with like 20 varieties.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Any advice on maybe less sweet varieties?
Every time I tried buying and using Chinese sausage it was way too sweet for me, like putting candy slices in my food..

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

There's nothing wrong with making your dishes with a more smokey sausage that you enjoy. Cooking is for yourself!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just tried some Sichuan smoked sausage. It's called sausage - 香腸 and it's really smoky and spicy with that mala flavour. Apparently, it's a tradition to smoke them during Chinese New year and everyone in the villages make em.

Props to a Shenzhen goon's co-worker

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah if you can find those they're really good. Not sweet at all.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Going to Chengdu in a couple of weeks. Wonder if I can find some of that.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Made a huge batch of this (bak kwa, that's two separate pieces up there):

Please tell me how to make this. Among all the amazing food in Malaysia and Singapore this is one thing you just can't find in my country.

For those of you who haven't tried it, it's basically the god of all dried meat.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Force de Fappe posted:

Going to Chengdu in a couple of weeks. Wonder if I can find some of that.

Easily. I'd also recommend the 腊肉 (la rou) which is kind of like Chinese equivalent of bacon.

It and sausage are traditionally made during Spring festival which has only just technically ended like yesterday, so the province is flooded with the stuff.

e: image of some nice lookin la rou

Smoked meat plates containing that and sausage sliced up is a common sight on menus in Sichuan. If you get the chance, Emeishan and Leshan are kind of famous for their sausage and smoked meats and I have had v good stuff down there.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 24, 2016

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Has anyone here had Mui Kwe Lu (玫瑰露酒)? Apparently it's a type of Baijiu distilled with a special variety of rose petals. I don't think I'll be able to locate a bottle anywhere near Kansas City so I'm wondering if a rose eau de vie might be somewhat close...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sooo it wasn't Sichuan, we ended up getting a trip to Sanya instead :geno:

Just gonna eat the poo poo out of whatever I can get my hands on of seafood. I'll get by. It's fine. I'm fine.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

Easily. I'd also recommend the 腊肉 (la rou) which is kind of like Chinese equivalent of bacon.

It and sausage are traditionally made during Spring festival which has only just technically ended like yesterday, so the province is flooded with the stuff.

e: image of some nice lookin la rou

Smoked meat plates containing that and sausage sliced up is a common sight on menus in Sichuan. If you get the chance, Emeishan and Leshan are kind of famous for their sausage and smoked meats and I have had v good stuff down there.

oh man that looks delicious

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Something about cured meat in a country corrupted by heavy metals and No Why sounds really delicious.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

Sooo it wasn't Sichuan, we ended up getting a trip to Sanya instead :geno:

Just gonna eat the poo poo out of whatever I can get my hands on of seafood. I'll get by. It's fine. I'm fine.

Seafood restaurants in Sanya have a bed rep for ripping off tourists. Have fun and becareful

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

thank you for posting this; I forgot all about it.

It's definitely not wrapped in bread; the consistency is closer to ddeok.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
What are my options for wokking if my stovetop is electric and smooth-surfaced?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

DARPA Dad posted:

What are my options for wokking if my stovetop is electric and smooth-surfaced?

Propane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Flat bottomed woks.

Not to be confused with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0