Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
I like how being silly, giddy, emotional, and interested in dressing up are all feminine interests. Take that patriarchy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Proust led to a thread going to poo poo. I never thought I'd see the day.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Cloks posted:

I read fifty more pages and I take this back, Skippy Dies is emotionally devastating, especially right before Skippy dies.

It's somehow both really fun and incredibly heartbreaking. drat good book.

Also, Gravity's Rainbow is difficult to read, not so much for the prose as for the lack of a clear plot - especially near the end, where it gets so much more scattered. That said it is a great book. I should reread it one of these days.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

Now I know you have a hate for all things feminist, but this article is actually about how the patriarchy is harmful to MEN. It'll blow your mind
I never said I hate all things feminist, I like camille paglia. That site just made me pissed though, it also has articles like Geeks are opressed (what people are making fun of you because you spent your hard earned app design money on plushies, shitttt)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok bad site good concept. My bad

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Paradox gentleman, ask the thread a question, please

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Clearly I need to come back in here and fix this thread for you fuckers Jesus can't a man retire to some football talk in peace

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm just trying to make the world a better place one of the only two ways I know how, and I'm all out of bullets

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I finally finished Underworld (overrated in my opinion, loved White Noise and thought it was going to be awesome from the reviews) and just started on the first Ferrante novel. It's a great book so far and I find myself turning pages quickly!

In between I read When Breath Becomes Air. It's a good book.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Clearly I need to come back in here and fix this thread for you fuckers Jesus can't a man retire to some football talk in peace

Did you like The Coldplays?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I finally finished Underworld (overrated in my opinion, loved White Noise and thought it was going to be awesome from the reviews)

Got that impression before the bat hit the baseball, so I got out ahead of the game.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I hated Underworld. White Noise is a terrible introduction to DeLillo because it fools you into thinking he is funny and writes madcap stories like the Airborne Toxic Event. Then you read any of his other books and they are humorless and annoying. I really dislike all the DeLillo I have read outside of White Noise, which I loved.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Falling Man is my worst book rack purchase.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

White Noise is DeLillo's contribution to the Gaddis--Pynchon--Wallace chain.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

blue squares posted:

I hated Underworld. White Noise is a terrible introduction to DeLillo because it fools you into thinking he is funny and writes madcap stories like the Airborne Toxic Event. Then you read any of his other books and they are humorless and annoying. I really dislike all the DeLillo I have read outside of White Noise, which I loved.

Mao II and End Zone were pretty good. Looking forward to reading Libra one day also.

I agree re: Underworld though, too much going on without any sort of coherence. Bo-ring.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Okay to clarify I read The Names and barely finished it and regretted the time spent. Mao II didn't work for me. I was reading Libra and thought it wasn't too bad, though pretty much a standard genre spy novel, and eventually just stopped reading it and never came back to it for whatever reason

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

White Noise is DeLillo's contribution to the Gaddis--Pynchon--Wallace chain.

Underworld is too though? And Ratners Star (book that actually influenced Wallace AND it's funny) Mao Ii kind of too, although it feels bit dated unlike Gaddis,Pynchon and Wallace. The minimlist stuff he has written in 2000' is pretty different though

mallamp fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 10, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't know. I found Underworld, aside from the fantastic opening, to be too narrowly-focused to merit being grouped amongst those three. Though if I'm being honest I should leave out Gaddis since I only know about him second-hand. Underworld is long, but it felt like it had very little to say. It just said that very little over and over again. Whereas Pynchon and Wallace are all about capturing the enormity of experience

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm reading The Golden Notebook now (finished City on Fire)

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I loved Underworld because it was like Tolstoy+Pynchon.
Maybe less deep as a result, but much more readable
Sometimes it's awkward when DeLillo tries to be hip, you can see that he was over 60 when he wrote it, luckily he stopped trying after Underworld and just created some weird alternate universe of his own where everything happens as in theater stages with real world as background. It's pretty cool that Pynchon is still up to date with technology and stuff (Bleeding Edge)

mallamp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 10, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blue squares posted:

Whereas Pynchon and Wallace are all about capturing the enormity of experience
Can you elaborate on this, and what distinguishes their work from the others you've mentioned?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nakar posted:

Can you elaborate on this, and what distinguishes their work from the others you've mentioned?

Underworld in particular seemed very focused on it's theme of trash/waste. It's been a few years since I read it, but it felt like everything came down to one thing. I think DeLillo was doing that deliberately, trying to say that in the end many things are equally pointless and indistinguishable. Whereas in Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest the themes to me are much broader. Rather than everything ending up the same, I think those books pointed out how wildly different things can be. Pynchon and Wallace seem to say that a summation of all things is impossible.

Of course Mel is going to come in here and point out now I'm completely wrong.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 10, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Underworld in particular seemed very focused on it's theme of trash/waste. It's been a few years since I read it, but it felt like everything came down to one thing. I think DeLillo was doing that deliberately, trying to say that in the end many things are equally pointless and indistinguishable. Whereas in Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest the themes to me are much broader. Rather than everything ending up the same, I think those books pointed out how wildly different things can be. Pynchon and Wallace seem to say that a summation of all things is impossible.

Of course Mel is going to come in here and point out now I'm completely wrong.

I havent read two of those three books so cannot really say

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I havent read two of those three books so cannot really say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Lvej86sVY&t=46s

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Post in my novella thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764069

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Yw

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Extremely hard pass

I'm finishing Baltasar & Blimunda and it's extremely loving good, second best Saramago I've read (after Ricardo Reis which is one of the greatest novels ever written). Communist mysticism ftw

I'm about a hundo pages in and confirmed good. I've never read any saramago but gd after reading wheel of time books and Terry pratchett for two years it's tougher to read than it should be. It's really good though.

Once I finish this I think I can make the jump to tristram shandy, book of the century.

Edit: but actually though are there any good shorter novels I should read? I'm thinking maybe The Stranger? I don't care about subject, I'm finally rediscovering what literature is and haven't read an actual novel in half a decade

mbt fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 13, 2016

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tristram Shandy is incredibly good and funny. If you want short stuff you should read Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino or alternatively pick up some short stories for eg Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Fall is a lot better than the Stranger, I think.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

blue squares posted:

The Fall is a lot better than the Stranger, I think.

It's really good!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think The Fall is more powerful and relevant, while The Stranger is kind of insincere in a way.

Don't bother with the Plague though, it's utterly dull and I can't recall a single thing about it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I read Tristram Shandy like Sterne wrote it, and one of these days I'll finish it, probably.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Sentimental Journey, also by Sterne, is short. Has a lot of overlap with Tristram Shandy and is also p funny. Might even be an easier read than Tristram. Only thing is a character turns up at the end who you'd only recognise from Tristram Shandy. It's narrated by a character from Tristram Shandy too (and a pseudonym of Sterne himself).

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think The Fall is more powerful and relevant, while The Stranger is kind of insincere in a way.

Don't bother with the Plague though, it's utterly dull and I can't recall a single thing about it.

The Plague is good. Not a lot happens, and it is good.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mortimer posted:

Edit: but actually though are there any good shorter novels I should read? I'm thinking maybe The Stranger? I don't care about subject, I'm finally rediscovering what literature is and haven't read an actual novel in half a decade

100 years of solitude
Dead souls

If you want to read Camus as the above recommend, The Fall, The Plague and The Stranger are all good

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cien Anos de Soledad is not a short novel. Neither is Dead Souls.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

They're shorter than Balthasar & Blimunda. And I think in terms of what people think as Important Novel they're actually pretty brief. And there's gently caress all worth reading in terms of the word "novel" that's below 200-300 pages

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
are you trolling?

some of my absolute favourite reads of the last couple of years have been <200 page novel(la)s: Season of Migration to the North, any Maqroll novella, The Successor, The Tartar Steppe, Doctor Glas & Christie Malry's Own Double Entry

i mean, if you have a weird definition of the word novel that would exclude any and all of this, that's ok, but I don't that what majority of people would say

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I did have some argument wrt the spirit of the novel that I wanted to pursue but then I slept on it and forgot what it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mortimer posted:

I'm about a hundo pages in and confirmed good. I've never read any saramago but gd after reading wheel of time books and Terry pratchett for two years it's tougher to read than it should be. It's really good though.

Once I finish this I think I can make the jump to tristram shandy, book of the century.

I just read The Vegetarian, Waiting for the Barbarians, and I'm just about to finish John Crow's Devil and they're all pretty great and just under 200 pages (JCD is slightly over at 218). Also The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea which I love and is like 180 pages as well.