Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Bought Word of Ice and Fire and reading the Targaryens lineage was so goddamn confusing, the whole book was just worded so terribly sometimes. I really want the jerkoffs that wrote it to know I hate their writing but they will probably just block me on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

why do people look like this on purpose.

When I was in college, I visited a friend - she was in a Coven, and the head of that little coven was a 40 year old man who looked JUST LIKE THAT ( dressed more like a poo poo tier goth though ) . anyway, he was banging all of the "witches" in his "coven" doing some kind of sex magic nonsense. At the time I was disgusted , but now I'm just sort of impressed. Not sure what the point of that story was, but there you go.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mexi posted:

Bought Word of Ice and Fire and reading the Targaryens lineage was so goddamn confusing, the whole book was just worded so terribly sometimes. I really want the jerkoffs that wrote it to know I hate their writing but they will probably just block me on Twitter.

you get what you deserve for paying for it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Colonel Sandor's

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

TK-42-1 posted:

Colonel Sandor's

:doh: It was right in front of me the whole time!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mexi posted:

i think the problem is the fact that there's like 3 names shared by 300 different people

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It could be a miscarriage, it could be menstruation, it could be food poisoning (likeliest culprit, she drank from a rank stream and ate unidentified berries) or it could also be dysentery ('the bloody flux' from meereen is described as just a run of the mill outbreak of dysentery).

There is however very little evidence that supports the claim that it signifies that Dany is no longer barren.
Interesting you say this when the evidence for her being barren is "a crazy vengeful witch told her so". How long before brown watergate was it that she started loving daario?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Klungar posted:

Please. He's going to raise chickens and open a successful chain of chicken coated in the crumbs of brown bread and fried in the fat of a wild boar, with smashed root vegetables topped with large pats of aurochs butter and gravy, more crunchy brown bread steaming hot out of the ovens, a 44 oz flagon of Dornish red wine, and fresh tart lemon cakes for dessert. It'll be served in a wooden bucket and serve a family of four for 20 gold dragons. You'll want to eat every last loving piece of finger lickin' goodness!

I actually heard that in Roy Dotrice's voice. Bravo, wildcarder, bravo.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If it is a prophecy I'm rather convinced that Drogo == Drogon who indeed returns at the end of the chapter. Another possible reading is that Drogo is more of a metaphor to Dany's status as a leader of a khalasar.

I like the reading where the prophecy, if it was real, can't be fulfilled because she misinterpreted it as spiteful ramblings and killed Drogo. The conditions were a bunch of seemingly impossible things plus getting pregnant again, which is why readers thought she was barren in the first place.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If it is a prophecy I'm rather convinced that Drogo == Drogon who indeed returns at the end of the chapter. Another possible reading is that Drogo is more of a metaphor to Dany's status as a leader of a khalasar.

From Dany's prophecies at the house of the undying we know that at some point she is supposed to return to Vaes Dothrak and unite all the khalasars under her leadership, this also suggests to me that 'the stallion who will mount the world' is also Drogon.

For a second I thought you were suggesting that the soul of her baby moved into Drogo, which she then suffocated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

For a second I thought you were suggesting that the soul of her baby moved into Drogo, which she then suffocated.

Ewww, she tried sucking her babies dick before she killed him.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ewww, she tried sucking her babies dick before she killed him.

:drat:

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

book?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Do I..? Do I explain the baby dick suck comment as not being from the book or are you asking if the book is out?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Krinkle posted:

Do I..? Do I explain the baby dick suck comment as not being from the book or are you asking if the book is out?

You write the fanfic...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's very telling that I read about baby dick sucking and had to wrack my brain to remember if it was in the books.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Everyone finally quit?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Everyone finally quit?

Well it was good enough for GURM

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everyone finally quit?

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Everyone finally quit?

Wait until April

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Of what year?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not going to be watching the show, but I will probably catch recaps to see how the train wreck proceeds.

There are only so many ways to subtly imply that GRRM is a sex offender so I have little else to post.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Slithery D posted:

Of what year?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I strive to put as much :effort: into caring if the next book is out commensurate with the gurm's level of :effort: finishing said book.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I think that might violate our understanding of thermodynamics.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Is it possible to have negative book? Or is that what we're at now, after AFFC/ADWD?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
He still hasn't finished the 4th book

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

He still hasn't finished the 4th book

What do you think the record for number of books taken to finish one book is?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solice Kirsk posted:

What do you think the record for number of books taken to finish one book is?

Tolkien took 6 books.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
New sample chapter up about the tower of joy! Turns out ned + lyanna = jon, so they're just like the lannisters. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

New sample chapter up about the tower of joy! Turns out ned + lyanna = jon, so they're just like the lannisters. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Ewwwww. So really he is the most Stark of the Starks.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I wish this were true

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Well, I mean, if the show goes ahead and confirms it this season, which I believe they intend to, then it's entirely possible that GRRM may do something like that in the books to spite them.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

I like this dirty old man and his love of pizza and deep enthusiasm for sports and his weird adobe house in the desert. I hope he never finishes this abominable series and I got all I needed out of it circa 2006 at the age of 16 and am happy to have read the first four and am content to leave it there. I hope he makes many nerds mad forever. He brought new life to a genre that was dead as hell and frankly not deserving of it.

His best book was

And it's a good enough for me to read at least once a year which is really the only honor I could ever give to a novel or an author.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone finally quit?

It was cute to watch the spoiler free thread grow despondant and just stop. The last page having Gurm give the finger was especially delicious.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arbite posted:

It was cute to watch the spoiler free thread grow despondant and just stop. The last page having Gurm give the finger was especially delicious.

It's basically the minimum amount of possible discussion though. There's no book (obviously), there's not a lot of leaked filming out there (other than obvious stuff like "Jon isn't dead"), and the season is about material that is pretty much completely new. And it doesn't come out for another 10 weeks.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
1 lime
2 plum tomatoes
4 gloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
1/4 cup red onion (diced)

Remove skin and pit from avocados. Chop up and mush with back of fork in a bowl. Halve tomatoes and remove seeds/ribs. Dice. Add tomatoes, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro and onion to mushed avocado.

Serves: 1/2 GURM

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaquin posted:

I like this dirty old man and his love of pizza and deep enthusiasm for sports and his weird adobe house in the desert. I hope he never finishes this abominable series and I got all I needed out of it circa 2006 at the age of 16 and am happy to have read the first four and am content to leave it there. I hope he makes many nerds mad forever. He brought new life to a genre that was dead as hell and frankly not deserving of it.

His best book was

And it's a good enough for me to read at least once a year which is really the only honor I could ever give to a novel or an author.

drat it must really speak to you. I read it and it was ok, but it isn't a repeat-read for me.

quote:

I got all I needed out of it

That's a great way to look at it. Probably true for me too.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Disgusting food abortion

Tomatoes!? No jalapeņo?! FOUR CLOVES OF GARLIC!?

Truly, he is an absolute fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

P_T_S posted:

Tomatoes!? No jalapeņo?! FOUR CLOVES OF GARLIC!?

Truly, he is an absolute fucker.

I have no issue with the tomatoes (even though I prefer with out) but the lack of any kind of spice is triggering me. rear end in a top hat may as well just eat a spoonful of garlic, take a bite of avocado, then sprinkle salt and pepper in his gaping maw.