Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Because it's fine to pee into lab glassware, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Keiya posted:

Because it's fine to pee into lab glassware, right?

You were going to clean it anyway and it's held worse? I guess?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its old enough to be believable that everything's a chamberpot if its cold outside. Or cold in the hallway. Or if its just convenient.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What's the 1850's equivalent of World of Warcraft?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

What's the 1850's equivalent of World of Warcraft?

The Crimean War.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Glad the goon that banged a Erlenmeyer flask (Abe had some interesting mod challenges) at least used clean hardware.

e: archives required, bottom of page 8.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3140263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
That thread is amazing because Abe accidentally mod-challenged himself in it and had to construct, wear, and eat a tutti-frutti hat.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

That thread is amazing because Abe accidentally mod-challenged himself in it and had to construct, wear, and eat a tutti-frutti hat.

He wore the hat to an anime con, too. Between that thread and the "lost fingat, pls halp" saga, I've gotten more than :tenbux: worth of laughs out of this website.

e: let's go ahead and post the fingat saga, since it involves cooking chicken with thermite.

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/gamecube-challenge-fingat/1/

Icon Of Sin has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Feb 13, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Twigand Berries thrusting that bouquet towards the flask is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on SA and the Goldmine entry's value is greatly diminished by the lack of it.

e: actually he just owned that challenge start to finish.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Feb 13, 2016

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
You know what else goes FOOF in the night? Justice Scalia

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Well, dangerous and toxic sure fits...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Caconym posted:

Well, dangerous and toxic sure fits...

Yeah draining his fluids might be the most dangerous task on earth. Wonder what they'll use to contain his ichor and keep it from corroding through down to the hell pit his soul landed in.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah draining his fluids might be the most dangerous task on earth. Wonder what they'll use to contain his ichor and keep it from corroding through down to the hell pit his soul landed in.

The answer is always either pyrex or telfon.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jetz0r posted:

My money would go toward nickel alloy. Don't want to cheap out on the coffin to end all coffins.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

zedprime posted:

My money would go toward nickel alloy. Don't want to cheap out on the coffin to end all coffins.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

jetz0r posted:

What if both fail to contain his filth?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DemeaninDemon posted:

What if both fail to contain his filth?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This thread got edgier than a middle schooler's myspace.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:golfclap:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

This thread got edgier than a middle schooler's myspace.

Frankly, this isn't the thread that I expected to turn into Scalia appreciation station.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Munin posted:

Frankly, this isn't the thread that I expected to turn into Scalia appreciation station.

This isn't the thread I expected to turn into Munchkinland, either.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, what do you guys think of the high school picric acid trouble?

There have been a few cases in the last few years where chemistry teachers decided to clean up their old chemicals storage cabinet and they found a bottle of picric acid sitting on the back of a shelf, that had been sitting there for decades and all the water had vaporized off.

The tiniest movement of dry picric acid can cause it to explode, so in every case I heard off, they had to evacuate the school at once, and call explosive experts to safely dispose of it (probably by Very Carefully moving it outside and setting it off there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, what do you guys think of the high school picric acid trouble?

My understanding is that the risk is overstated; dry picric acid isn’t that sensitive. You just don’t want anyone vigorously shaking the bottle or especially trying to unscrew the lid.

The bomb squad has to handle it one way or another, though. There’s probably no harm in leaving it undisturbed for a few more hours and calling it in after school, but eh, it’s a teaching opportunity.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I remember my high school science teacher showing me the picric acid procedure in the chemical disposal manual he had. If it had a plastic cap, then you were supposed to gently submerge the sealed container in water, then call the bomb squad. If it had a metal cap, immediately evacuate the building and call the bomb squad.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Boring. Extra credit to the student that removes it with the minimum of property (or bodily) damage!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I was taking a walk to wake myself up and found a door with a NFPA diamond of 4/1/4 with no water and OX. The 1's the fire rating. Wonder what's in there. Probably something horrifying. Didn't want to even try and open the door.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I remember right, the local Walmart has a 3/4/4 fire diamond posted on the outside wall. Forget the exact assignment but pretty sure it added up to 10 or 11. Really made me wonder what the hell was up with containment that the diamond was posted on an outside wall.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

I was taking a walk to wake myself up and found a door with a NFPA diamond of 4/1/4 with no water and OX. The 1's the fire rating. Wonder what's in there. Probably something horrifying. Didn't want to even try and open the door.

Magnesium O2 cylinders?

I just made that up as a joke but it legitimately sounds terrifying now, and I could see it being a thing for MRI patients or something.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

I miss Abe so much, he was the best mod this site ever had.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

:vince:

jetz0r posted:

Silver, because it repels evil.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

If I remember right, the local Walmart has a 3/4/4 fire diamond posted on the outside wall. Forget the exact assignment but pretty sure it added up to 10 or 11. Really made me wonder what the hell was up with containment that the diamond was posted on an outside wall.

It's referring to their customers. :haw:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

zedprime posted:

NFPA 704, section 4.2.3.3

quote:

Where more than one chemical is present in a building or specific area, professional judgment shall be
exercised to indicate ratings using the following methods:
(1) Composite Method. Where many chemicals are present, a single sign shall summarize the maximum
ratings contributed by the material(s) in each category and the special hazard category for the building
and/or the area.
(2) Individual Method. Where only a few chemicals are present or where only a few chemicals are of
concern to emergency responders (taking into account factors including physical form, hazard rating,
and quantity), individual signs shall be displayed. The chemical name shall be displayed below each
sign.
(3) Composite–Individual Combined Method. A single sign shall be used to summarize the ratings via the
Composite Method for buildings or other areas containing numerous chemicals. Signs based on the
Individual Method shall be used for rooms or smaller areas within the building containing small
numbers of chemicals.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GWBBQ posted:

I think Walmart skipped the professional judgement following an inspection ding and skipped straight to 1 when 2 or 3 would be less antagonizing to an ERT.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GWBBQ posted:

In my field I'm fairly certain it's an actual four in both health and reactivity.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

zedprime posted:

I think Walmart skipped the professional judgement following an inspection ding and skipped straight to 1 when 2 or 3 would be less antagonizing to an ERT.
It depends on the layout. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine camping propane cylinders, lighter fluid and charcoal, pool chemicals, and all sorts of fertilizers and lawn care products within the space of a few aisles. Put that close enough to the sporting goods section with ammunition and smokeless powder and you could probably manage a 443 W OX ACID ALK COR.

On the other hand, a huge retailer like Walmart probably has liability and safety people whose job it is to make their stores somewhat safer than their clothing factories.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

On the other hand, a huge retailer like Walmart probably has liability and safety people whose job it is to make their stores somewhat safer than their clothing factories.

Advisors to ensure with local regulations as cheaply as possible. So, horrid health a safety practices in Bangladesh and slapping on a 4 4 4 sign in the US and calling it good enough.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

In my field I'm fairly certain it's an actual four in both health and reactivity.
Semiconductor manufacturing?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GWBBQ posted:

It depends on the layout. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine camping propane cylinders, lighter fluid and charcoal, pool chemicals, and all sorts of fertilizers and lawn care products within the space of a few aisles. Put that close enough to the sporting goods section with ammunition and smokeless powder and you could probably manage a 443 W OX ACID ALK COR.

I don't doubt they've got the quantity of high digit materials to warrant clear fire diamond labeling. I'm just wondering who exactly is helped by a 200,000sqft building labeled that as a whole when 1/3 of it is a grocery store and 1/3 of it is nonhazardous household goods and clothing. Maybe I should be more questioning of the NFPA code if that's really the best hazard communication we could manage on a common warehouse sized retail store.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GWBBQ posted:

Semiconductor manufacturing?

You know it! Graveyards, too, because I live dangerously.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

zedprime posted:

I don't doubt they've got the quantity of high digit materials to warrant clear fire diamond labeling. I'm just wondering who exactly is helped by a 200,000sqft building labeled that as a whole when 1/3 of it is a grocery store and 1/3 of it is nonhazardous household goods and clothing. Maybe I should be more questioning of the NFPA code if that's really the best hazard communication we could manage on a common warehouse sized retail store.
I completely agree, I was speculating on whether it's possible that a small area inside the store could be that hazardous and justify a warning posted for the whole building. I'm not sure where the proper balance should be between "here's everything you need to know" and "potential for a 444 exists, it could just be a paper fire but if it's a few aisles over you might join pile of bodies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

GWBBQ posted:

I completely agree, I was speculating on whether it's possible that a small area inside the store could be that hazardous and justify a warning posted for the whole building. I'm not sure where the proper balance should be between "here's everything you need to know" and "potential for a 444 exists, it could just be a paper fire but if it's a few aisles over you might join pile of bodies."

Those stores aren't subdivided much at all, so it's entirely possible that nobody knows where all the fire is.