Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

My work history would be unimpressive on a resume, but I have a number of projects that I've done over the last decade that I'm very proud of
does not compute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

does not compute

By work history, I mean I have had literally 1 employer over the last ten years, and the same position for the last five.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I live alone :smith:
I never would have guessed this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ that's v rude

The Fool posted:

By work history, I mean I have had literally 1 employer over the last ten years, and the same position for the last five.

That's not necessarily unimpressive unless you did the same static and boring things the entire time while you were there. If you progressed in responsibilities, etc, within the "same position", you're fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ that's v rude

That's not necessarily unimpressive unless you did the same static and boring things the entire time while you were there. If you progressed in responsibilities, etc, within the "same position", you're fine.

I understand that, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to present that on a resume. Hence my original question asking about a resume service that hasn't, by many accounts, gone to poo poo.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ that's v rude
Sorry bro, I will try to limit the intentionally offensive and abrasive things I say in the future.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

The Fool posted:

I understand that, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to present that on a resume. Hence my original question asking about a resume service that hasn't, by many accounts, gone to poo poo.

It's pretty easy to lie about your title and get away with it, in any case.

Most companies understand that position/title are mostly bullshit anyway, it's what you do and what technologies/experience your portfolio brings to bear that they care about. Well, once you get past the retards in HR.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

adorai posted:

Sorry bro, I will try to limit the intentionally offensive and abrasive things I say in the future.
"Communication" is something my director constantly dings me on. I'm like, maybe people should stop being stupid?

A recent one that I'm proud of, and yes of course I stole this straight off Kevin Smith, but when another person had made a colossal mistake, I wondered aloud "Did we pay him for this? Can we get the money back?"

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 17, 2016

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Fool posted:

Quality over quantity. Your one job is going to look more impressive when it takes up half the page with all the different projects you did while you were there for a decade.

As for your title, put the most senior version of the most widely known job title that describes the kind of work you did. For example, I could probably get away with "Senior Software Engineer" at this point, even though my titles have been things like "Programmer" and "Developer." The idea is to get past the HR drones and computerized keyword screenings; once you're talking to people who know their rear end from a hole in the ground, you can tell them your ACTUAL titles if they even bring it up.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Communication" is something my director constantly dings me on. I'm like, maybe people should stop being stupid?
My CIO has his office decorated with demotivators. So yeah, a storm cloud of pessimism (or realism, depending on your viewpoint) is not only accepted, but celebrated.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

As I said, I'm very happy with the resume they made me. Here's the description of my last job from it:

quote:

Technical Account Manager / Lead System Designer February 2014 – July 2015

Ex Employer, Inc. Buffalo, NY

 Provided engineering support to both sales and service representatives within the company to design, deploy, manage and support large, integrated IP-based systems involving servers, switches, routers, storage (DAS, iSCSI, FC), wireless bridges, workstations, IP Cameras, and SIP-based VOIP intercoms.

 Performed post-sales support of customer systems, including troubleshooting over the phone, in person, and using remote access tools such as Bomgar.

 Integrated and supported hardware from dozens of vendors, including Axis, HP, Cisco, Intel and Ubiquiti.

 Worked with customers’ IT departments to determine performance impact on existing infrastructure such as networking, WAN, storage and compute resources, and make recommendations for necessary upgrades.

 Developed and presented proposals for complex surveillance and access control integration projects worth up to $120K each, which included preparing quotes, submittals, specifications and technical collateral.

 Designed and sold more than 20 custom security solutions, which included integrating dozens of components from 50 manufacturers, for clients including Fortune 100 Company and Other Large Company.

 Secured a distribution agreement with Huge Distributor, Inc. to carry OEM recording appliances, which included developing a training and marketing plan for the client sales team.

 Researched, proposed and implemented in-house servers for custom recording appliances, which involved designing, building, deploying and testing several dozen server configurations.

 Performed site surveys and walkthroughs to determine project options and requirements.

 Presented designs during kick-off meetings, performed on-site inspections and monitored project progress, and conducted post-mortem analysis to ensure installations were executed according to design.

 Negotiated pricing, availability, and delivery terms for project-specific products with six different suppliers.

 Implemented and maintained internal recording server calculators and company website tools to assist sales staff.

 Designed, tested and created marketing collateral and technical documentation for custom house-branded recording appliances.

 Created, updated and maintained company website, and deployed/managed hosting environment.

 Created and updated a biweekly technical blog that showcased company knowledge and capabilities.

 Oversaw a sales pipeline generating $50K a month and maintained relationships with 150 public and private business clients, which included providing live demonstrations to client executives.

I'm not saying to buy a service from them, but take some notes on how the information is presented.

- Be as precise as possible. Concrete numbers are better than vague statements
- Your title should say what you did, not what it said on your business card
- Order bullet points from most relevant to least relevant for the specific job you're applying for
- Don't be afraid to have a section on the projects you've done, if they're big enough. Call it "Notable Projects" and go into detail about why they were difficult and what you did to overcome those difficulties
- Be well rounded

Edit: I just noticed a typo. In my resume. That I used. :doh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 17, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

One of our clients is starting to get in house IT and I saw the new desktop support guy's resume. For being in the army he sure lacked the attention to detail to notice the glaring credantials misspelling.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SaltLick posted:

For being in the army he sure lacked the attention to detail to notice the glaring credantials misspelling.

This is my favorite resume thing.

What? Your attention to detail didn't show you the red squiggly line under all the misspelled words?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
On our daily standup call, the other systems engineer (in a remote office) said that I'm haunting his dreams, and to knock it off.

I told him to put in a ticket. :smugdog:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Agrikk posted:

This is my favorite resume thing.

What? Your attention to detail didn't show you the red squiggly line under all the misspelled words?

Real talk why aren't word processors catching up to cellphone's ability to autocorrect and replace mistyped or misspelled words? I can blaze along in my text app of choice with the program being smart enough to recognize what I meant to type based on context where I don't have to go back and correct typing mistakes most times. I can see the misspelled word and watch it get without having to slow my roll. How come office word can't do this yet?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 17, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

SaltLick posted:

One of our clients is starting to get in house IT and I saw the new desktop support guy's resume. For being in the army he sure lacked the attention to detail to notice the glaring credantials misspelling.
Credantials? Ouch. Was it in the text somewhere or a heading? I've seen so many people gloss over the boilerplate because they were too focused on the content.

Coredump posted:

Real talk why aren't word processors catching up to cellphone's ability to autocorrect and replace mistyped or misspelled words?
Because it's annoying as poo poo, and while autocorrect fails make hilarious Buzzfeed listicles or whatever, they're kind of bad in professional communications

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 17, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Annoying as poo poo? It's a godsend for being able to communicate on a touchscreen device without a physical keyboard. Do you have autocorrect turned off completely on your phone? I don't know many people who do.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm one of those "no auto correct, no predictive, no nothing" types as well. Likely one of those personal things (and yes a flaw) - but I'm not a fan. It forces me to type better... honest.

We'll see how long it lasts as I get to type more work emails from my phone / my team goes internal Slack only.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 17, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Credantials? Ouch. Was it in the text somewhere or a heading? I've seen so many people gloss over the boilerplate because they were too focused on the content.

It was the heading. Nice and bold.

It's kind of an interesting situation with this guy because he was dropped into an environment where his boss is a programmer and doesn't control the environment. Trying to teach someone basic desktop support while not being there in person has been a hassle.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 17, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OS X has autocorrect built in and on by default, and I despise it. Trying to type anything remotely technical 90% of the things it "helpfully fixes" are jargon or acronyms that I did not want it to touch. So I just shut it off rather than spend half my life spamming undo and Learn Spelling.

On my phone, sure, it's useful. I'm rarely typing lengthy technical notes and I am loving awful at touch screen typing, so it's much more valuable there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Coredump posted:

Annoying as poo poo? It's a godsend for being able to communicate on a touchscreen device without a physical keyboard. Do you have autocorrect turned off completely on your phone? I don't know many people who do.
Completely turned off. I have really small fingers, though, so it's not much of a stretch for me to type as quickly on an iPhone 5S as I did on an ancient Blackberry. I'd rather be able to own my typos than have to blame a device for doing something dumb that I didn't notice.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use autocorrect on my phone(s) as aggressively as possible and love it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I have it turned off completely as well. Does more bad than good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Autocorrect with touch keyboards is not really comparable to hardware keyboards either way. On touch keyboards, you can measure how much you touched each letter, e.g. a touch may not just be classified as "it was F", but actually "50% F, 40% D, 10% R", and that can feed into a dictionary to find most likely words you intended to write. Hardware keyboards need a different kind of autocorrection if anything, something like what has been built into Word since version 6.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That's a good point about measuring where your finger landed. But doesn't the autocorrect also try to look at context when suggesting words? I know word doesn't try suggest or replace a different word when I mistype it, only when I go back and do spellcheck or right click on the word. Definitely doesn't replace as I go.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use autocorrect on my phone(s) as aggressively as possible and love it.

Same. There are times I can get close to keyboard speed on my phone when autocorrect is on its game. However I'm not the greatest touch typist either.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got contacted by a company that's really insistent on knowing what I want to make. I can't just turn them down because I'm unemployed. It's a W2 contract without benefits, including no health insurance. How much should I be jacking my asking price up over a normal position to make up for that?

It really puts a bad taste in my mouth when they immediately ask what I want to make before we even discuss the position, so I really don't care too much if they walk away.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got contacted by a company that's really insistent on knowing what I want to make. I can't just turn them down because I'm unemployed. It's a W2 contract without benefits, including no health insurance. How much should I be jacking my asking price up over a normal position to make up for that?

It really puts a bad taste in my mouth when they immediately ask what I want to make before we even discuss the position, so I really don't care too much if they walk away.

For no benefits, I'd raise up pretty high. Probably 40 to 50%, maybe more.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone been able to get Chrome bookmarks to migrate over via USMT from Windows 7 --> 10?

Doing some testing and I've got everything I've checked so far working except this. I'm using a customized MigApp.xml file (I also tried with the base version from the new version of USMT which didn't work) that was working fine for Windows 7 --> Windows 7 (and 8.1) migrations before, so I'm not sure what it could be. Nothing changed in terms of the AppData folder from 7 to 10.

code:
    <!-- Google Chrome -->
    <component context="UserAndSystem" type="Application">
        <displayName _locID="migapp.chrome1">Google Chrome</displayName>
        <environment name="GlobalEnv"/>
        <environment name="GlobalEnvX64"/>
        <role role="Settings">
            <destinationCleanup>
                <objectSet>
                    <pattern type="File">%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\*\Cache\* [*]</pattern>
                </objectSet>
            </destinationCleanup>
            <detection>
                <conditions>
                    <condition>MigXmlHelper.DoesObjectExist("Registry","%HklmWowSoftware%\Google\Chrome\")</condition>
                </conditions>
            </detection>
            <rules context="User">
                <include>
                    <objectSet>
                        <pattern type="File">%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\* [*]</pattern>
                    </objectSet>
                </include>
                <exclude>
                    <objectSet>
                        <pattern type="File">%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\*\Cache\* [*]</pattern>
                    </objectSet>
                </exclude>
                <merge script="MigXmlHelper.SourcePriority()">
                    <objectSet>
                        <pattern type="File">%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\* [*]</pattern>
                    </objectSet>
                </merge>
            </rules>
        </role>
    </component>
I'm probably doing something stupid because I can't find anyone else talking about this. This is pretty much just XML I copied from a Google search, pasted into MigApp.xml but it's worked fine since I did so.

I'll start digging through TechNet for information on customizing this stuff, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone had a quick answer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

air- posted:

For no benefits, I'd raise up pretty high. Probably 40 to 50%, maybe more.
Honestly, it depends a lot on what that base salary number actually is, because the cost of benefits is fairly consistent from FTE to FTE, as is the cost of a private/exchange health plan. W-2 without benefits is different from being a self-employed 1099, because you're not responsible for the employer portion of the payroll taxes. You do need to figure out what the lack of PTO is worth to you, though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

including no health insurance. How much should I be jacking my asking price up over a normal position to make up for that?

Go on the healthcare exchange website, choose to browse plans. For your income, put $1,000,000 a year. Find a Platinum plan.

That might give you a ballpark for how much to ask for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The recruiter said $25/hr is the max. I'm going to go for the phone interview, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist laughing if they reveal it's a Jr. Sysadmin or desktop support role.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The recruiter said $25/hr is the max. I'm going to go for the phone interview, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist laughing if they reveal it's a Jr. Sysadmin or desktop support role.

I was in the same exact spot as you and took a tier 1 helldesk job for 25/hr no benefits. It's low stress and it keeps the lights on. Take it.

After having a secure paycheck, it was so much easier to get a "real" job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It would be hard for me to believe in the integrity of anyone that was aggressively trying to me to tell them how much I made before going into the actual details of a job. Sets off the same buzzers in my head when a salesman asks me how much I have to spend. I would have to be in dire straights to even continue any conversation at all with them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, they mentioned taking escalated tickets. I guess I probably should take it either way, and just keep looking for something better. $25/hr is a lot better than my unemployment benefits.

E: Apparently they only bothered to get the information they had in the job posting rather than any other sort of information. Which is really dumb, but I'm used to recruiting companies not knowing what they're doing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Has anyone been able to get Chrome bookmarks to migrate over via USMT from Windows 7 --> 10?

Doing some testing and I've got everything I've checked so far working except this. I'm using a customized MigApp.xml file (I also tried with the base version from the new version of USMT which didn't work) that was working fine for Windows 7 --> Windows 7 (and 8.1) migrations before, so I'm not sure what it could be. Nothing changed in terms of the AppData folder from 7 to 10.

code:
    <!-- Google Chrome -->
    <component context="UserAndSystem" type="Application">
        <displayName _locID="migapp.chrome1">Google Chrome</displayName>
        <environment name="GlobalEnv"/>
        <environment name="GlobalEnvX64"/>
        <role role="Settings">
            <destinationCleanup>
                <objectSet>
                </objectSet>
            </destinationCleanup>
            <detection>
                <conditions>
                    <condition>MigXmlHelper.DoesObjectExist("Registry","%HklmWowSoftware%\Google\Chrome\")</condition>
                </conditions>
            </detection>
            <rules context="User">
                <include>
                    <objectSet>
                    </objectSet>
                </include>
                <exclude>
                    <objectSet>
                    </objectSet>
                </exclude>
                <merge script="MigXmlHelper.SourcePriority()">
                    <objectSet>
                    </objectSet>
                </merge>
            </rules>
        </role>
    </component>
I'm probably doing something stupid because I can't find anyone else talking about this. This is pretty much just XML I copied from a Google search, pasted into MigApp.xml but it's worked fine since I did so.

I'll start digging through TechNet for information on customizing this stuff, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone had a quick answer.
Is there a reason you can't just let Chrome pull bookmarks by itself? That's probably why you haven't seen anyone else try this.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

Is there a reason you can't just let Chrome pull bookmarks by itself? That's probably why you haven't seen anyone else try this.

I'm probably missing something incredibly obvious, but what do you mean?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm probably missing something incredibly obvious, but what do you mean?

Do you use your Google account with Chrome? The bookmarks should sync across via your account. I have the same bookmarks on my Mac as I do with my workstation at work on Windows 8.1 as I do with my gaming rig running Windows 10. If I add a bookmark to one, it's synced across all of them.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Do you use your Google account with Chrome? The bookmarks should sync across via your account. I have the same bookmarks on my Mac as I do with my workstation at work on Windows 8.1 as I do with my gaming rig running Windows 10. If I add a bookmark to one, it's synced across all of them.

Oh, right. I do, but I don't necessarily trust all my department's users to (though if I can't get USMT to move them over that's obviously a fine alternative).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If there's a set of standardized bookmarks, you should be able to GPO that.

If it's just to make sure personal bookmarks carry over, I would probably just send out instructions on how to back them up and leave it up to the users. Or you can probably script the Chrome export/import process and go around the long way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Coredump posted:

I know word doesn't try suggest or replace a different word when I mistype it, only when I go back and do spellcheck or right click on the word. Definitely doesn't replace as I go.

I would say it's mostly user expectation. Autocorrect requires a suggestion preview to not be an awful experience (you're subconsciously looking at it all the time) and there's no existing UI element for that like there is with the pop-up touch keyboard. There's also several hundred years of user expectation that a typewriter (which keyboards were modeled after) spits out exactly the keys that were pressed.