Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't have too much of a problem with the run speed especially with auto-run on (literally unplayable without it) but I would like a quicktravel to farm or sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Emalde posted:

The game almost certainly assumes you have played any number of the previous Harvest Moon games, all of which laboriously string you through tutorials for the first in-game week or so.

Week, ha. The 3DS games extend it for an entire month. :shepface:

So glad this game came out and is a thing that people are playing. I thought it might never be real. Really happy for the devdude too that it's apparently selling well.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
So I'm on day 21, but the wiki says you get the pet at day 12?
do I need to do something specific to start that process or what's up?

soulresin
Nov 18, 2006
covered in hope and vaseline
Looks like a patch just dropped:

Fixes a few bugs, crashes, and unintended behaviors in Stardew Valley:

Fixed random crash when going to sleep after getting your pet
Sound effect volume now properly applied on load
'Error item' should no longer appear for sale in the Saloon
'Z' key is now bind-able
No longer possible to exit the Community Center menus while holding an item.
Finding your first artifact from a geode no longer destroys remaining held geodes.
Mature wild crops no longer disappear on day of load.
Crab pots can now be placed and removed without issue.
Fixed crash when inspecting chests in the mines.
You can no longer place chests in the mines
Tree seeds no longer incorrectly show a "Wrong Season" message
Fixed some map issues

I am aware of some more issues & will fix them as soon as possible!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
A farmer knee deep in piled monster corpses, starving, hungry, and frantic, sweeping through the depths of the bottomless mines. The driving force that brings him to such desperate measures is that he seeks iron so that he may make a sprinkler for his tulip garden.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Huh so a PC Harvest Moon style game on Steam is...good? Well we truly live in a golden age.

Yea after seeing some videos I just picked this up, looks really fun. Now to become the king of potatoes

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i hope i can build linus a house. first thing the dude said to me was "please don't destroy my tent." he must've seen real rough times.

There's a cutscene where he eats out of the trash, and is terrified when he's about to get caught. He gets caught by you, asks if you think what he's doing is wrong, leaves, checks another can. Then the bartender catches him and offers to feed him leftovers if he's hungry. That hit me hard.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Manyorcas posted:

I'll eat my firstborn chick if those statues around town and the wilderness don't end up teleporting you around when you progress in the story enough.

That's what I assume they are for, too, though I am not sure why they all have different color gems.

Eryxias posted:

So I'm on day 21, but the wiki says you get the pet at day 12?
do I need to do something specific to start that process or what's up?

I got my cat on the 11th day. I got her the morning after the explosion while I was sleeping.

Arcland posted:

I'm enjoying the game but I think I might wait a couple days or a week in the hopes of the movement speed being increased a bit. It's really a turnoff.

Don't hold your breath. I can't find it, but I think I remember reading something about how ConcernedApe put a lot of time into balancing how fast time flows in the game, and how it corresponds to run speed. I forget how it all came together, but I just have this idea that this isn't something that he's going to really evolve on.

I don't think it's that bad. I'd like it to be a little faster, but I'd fear that if he bends on this, he'd take it too far.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Man, I can't seem to be able to find any coal. Maybe I should have not sold them earlier.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Man, I can't seem to be able to find any coal. Maybe I should have not sold them earlier.

On certain levels of the mines you can find abandoned minecarts that have 5 or 6 coal each in them. Other than that, I had better results from breaking rocks around my farm than in the mines when it came to coal. You can also buy it from the blacksmith if you really want.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Commoners posted:

A farmer knee deep in piled monster corpses, starving, hungry, and frantic, sweeping through the depths of the bottomless mines. The driving force that brings him to such desperate measures is that he seeks iron so that he may make a sprinkler for his tulip garden.

Seriously, I want some sprinklers and bee huts.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

im enjoying the hell out of this game f y i

edit: I dislike how quickly you get tired when clearing farm stuff, is there an upgrade somewhere to not be tired so quickly

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

God I hope there's a way to get an animal of the one you didn't pick or a way to get one later because she brought a cat to my door and I was like "lmao no why on earth would I want a loving cat" and told her to kick rocks and I don't know if I picked dog as my preferred pet and I really don't want to start this Day 22 guy over, not with all the work I've put into the mines.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

im sure movement speed will be one of the first things modded yall dont worry

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Modding update:

Crossposting from my post in the Chucklefish forums. http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/modding-progress-so-far.106868/

In short:
1. The game's data is stored in PNG and XML files within the XNB files.
2. The XNB files containing the game's data can be nearly completely unpacked with a few exceptions.
3. PNG files can be edited and repacked into XNB files which successfully change the appearance of the game.
4. XML files containing values for the game like crop types, weapon strength, fish locations, etc exist, but I have not been able to successfully repack them into XNB files. The developer may be needed to help with this.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

so I got a quest to catch an eel, where should i be fishing for those? the ocean?

this game is pretty fun, i've been spending most of my time in the mine. i'm down to like 35f now at almost the end of spring but it's getting kind of scary in there... i feel like there's a lot of cutscenes i haven't gotten by now that other people would have though, not sure what's going on there.

e: vvv Thanks, and dang. It's not going to rain for the next couple days. :( Dammit, Sebastian and your goony, goony heart.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 27, 2016

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Someone Awful! posted:

so I got a quest to catch an eel, where should i be fishing for those? the ocean?

this game is pretty fun, i've been spending most of my time in the mine. i'm down to like 35f now at almost the end of spring but it's getting kind of scary in there... i feel like there's a lot of cutscenes i haven't gotten by now that other people would have though, not sure what's going on there.

Eel entry in Fish .xml

<Entry key="148">Eel/70/smooth/12/80/1600 2600/spring fall/rainy/689 .35 680 .1/3/.55/.1/0</Entry>

Sounds like maybe where the water is smooth from 4pm (1600 hours) to 2am (2600 hours) during the spring and fall while rainy?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

NPC Gift Tastes are defined and correspond to Object ID numbers, I think. Check the list to see which items are good gifts for which people. May spoil NPC names!

http://pastebin.com/QteH31u9
http://pastebin.com/qpGQ1NLk

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Possible fishing pro tip: The little bubbles that appear on the surface of the water every now and then seems to drastically increase the rate in which you get bites. I found one off the docks on the ocean and got bite after bite until the thing disappeared.

Also, Iron ore starts appearing after floor 40 of the mines.

Delaio fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 27, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This is way ahead of where most of y'all are, but here's a tip for the Luau festival in summer: try bringing a Gold Star food item for the communal potluck. A regular hot pepper caused the soup to be "nothing special."

I also can't wait for mods to pop up that modify the amount of time crafted items process for. Some of these secondary items take way too long to process.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Mm, anyone knows where Leeks and Dandelions spawn?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tired Moritz posted:

Randomly at places that aren't your farm. Including town, any screen north/south of the farm that isn't the beach or other non-grassy/non-woodsy place.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

everywhere in spring randomly. You'll find some eventually.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm gonna wait a few more days (not least because I have some productive things to do this weekend :saddowns: ) but I'm glad this game seems to please so far and the price point is pretty appealing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ugh rude

J.A.B.C. posted:

Another side note, what is everyone naming their pets? I named mine's Papi

i called her lunch, because life in stardew valley is brutal and you never know where your next meal is going to come from

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
I was going to enjoy playing Stardew but this steam review opened my eyes to the truth

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Had my first experience with what I put down as favourite thing in the beginning. It was truly magical, the power of butts. :allears:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What does the explosion do

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Babe Magnet posted:

God I hope there's a way to get an animal of the one you didn't pick or a way to get one later because she brought a cat to my door and I was like "lmao no why on earth would I want a loving cat" and told her to kick rocks and I don't know if I picked dog as my preferred pet and I really don't want to start this Day 22 guy over, not with all the work I've put into the mines.

Cat is default so if you did not actually click the dog you get the pet you deserve.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Cats are superior dogs are inferior.

Try to remember that you drat mutt lovers!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Cats are superior dogs are inferior.

if you're trying to make a hot pot sure

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I like cats more and approve of them as default despite that also making them a stereotypically lazy choice. It's just fitting that way.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
So...I may or may not have just disassembled the game to try and change the run speed :ssh:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I like the run speed. I consider all you naysayers to be sissies.

VVV The trick is to run errands in different parts of the map each day

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 27, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the run speed is fine, it's a bit slow but that's fine for a chill game like this..

..except the game isn't very chill when time moves so fast I barely get across town before having to head back and sleep :( I know I'm a slowpoke but in games like this I like to stop and inspect everything, talk to everyone, etc. and time moves way too fast for that. I'd like it if it was at least 0.5x as fast. Maybe I should try modding it too.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
How do you get into the Wizards Tower, its always locked when I try.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh my god i hate fishing

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

GodFish posted:

How do you get into the Wizards Tower, its always locked when I try.

Once you get the event where you see the mayor sighing over the community center and he shows you inside and you see the little green spirits, you'll get a letter from the wizard the next day inviting you over.

That event might be triggered by completing the 'meet everyone in town' quest (you don't need to meet the wizard or anyone behind a blocked off area for that.. except for the emo in the basement, you have to wait until he comes out of his room)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Wolpertinger posted:

Once you get the event where you see the mayor sighing over the community center and he shows you inside and you see the little green spirits, you'll get a letter from the wizard the next day inviting you over.

That event might be triggered by completing the 'meet everyone in town' quest (you don't need to meet the wizard or anyone behind a blocked off area for that.. except for the emo in the basement, you have to wait until he comes out of his room)

I think you need to look at the letter in the West part of the building with the unintelligible writing to trigger it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's not the meet everyone quest becauseI'm on like day 25 and stuck at 23/28 or something people met but I still got the mayor cutscene into wizard letter.

is there any followup to the meet everyone quest because I've given up trying to find who I'm missing