Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Well then i guess im gonna read some Ahriman books then! Thanks thread! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Yep, third and final. It's been out since last year at GW stores. I absolutely loved every insane thing about it. Prospero burns. Again. Also, one of Ahriman's dudes vomits up Doombreed, who proceeds to enter melee combat with a possessed imperator titan.
Oh. :stare: I had no idea the third book had released. I've enjoyed the first two so I'll have to check that out.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I guess it doesn't count now but the space wolves chasing him were the remnants of the 13th company. The wolves were absolutely terrifying in that novel, just beat down grim as gently caress dudes that have been in the warp since the heresy. One of the cooler bits of that is when they encounter modern codex marines and how fast and organized they are, they're pretty much "Who the gently caress are these dudes?" and they're just some run of the mill marines. There are also grey knights and poo poo and it's just fun.
Man, I actually liked the old school 13th Company. Those dudes were freaky, half-mutated crotchety mother fuckers with the wulfen as a whole other sub-group. GW's recent take on them is loving awful. :smith:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

rocket_Magnet posted:

I think some other posters found it to be a bit meh.

I was one of the people who didn't like them (I didn't read the third one but I did read the first two). What it seemed like to me was that the author was trying his very hardest to make the book run at a crescendo pace the entire way through, and it backfired and turned it into a tedious slog. There's little to nothing in the books that I can remember as being a break in the action, no interludes where things aren't being pushed at a fever pitch. Also, lots of fake-outs of character deaths.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Do you feel like you don't explain the skulls on your coffee mug often enough?

Have you ever thought to yourself "Yeah, I need kitsch that exclaims my love for violent, ridiculous pulp fiction that has a heavy Nazi aesthetic?"

Well, fear not, because Black Library is here to help!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/merchandise

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I kind of liked the Munitorium mug if anything. Even if I wish it was in metal. Otherwise all of those designs are kind of :effort:, especially the stuff tied to the Ork event.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The khrone t-shirt's rune is made out of skulls. :perfect:

But yeah, I can't imagine displaying any of that stuff in public.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Have you ever thought to yourself "Yeah, I need kitsch that exclaims my love for violent, ridiculous pulp fiction that has a heavy Nazi aesthetic?"

I wanted to get a primarch figurine to put on my desk at work but my gf told me she's not dating a loving child so I settled for putting the Aquila as the background to my desktop.

:(

The child inside me cries.

I'm dragging her rear end to comicon though. She ain't ready

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Klaus88 posted:

The khrone t-shirt's rune is made out of skulls. :perfect:

But yeah, I can't imagine displaying any of that stuff in public.
I am marginally tempted by the Munitorum "Standard Issue" shirt, just because it's so 1984 in tone.

Waroduce posted:

I wanted to get a primarch figurine to put on my desk at work but my gf told me she's not dating a loving child so I settled for putting the Aquila as the background to my desktop.

:(

The child inside me cries.

I'm dragging her rear end to comicon though. She ain't ready
My girlfriend brought her books to Gamesday with me so she could get Dan Abnett to sign them for her :agesilaus:

However I realise that not everyone can have a girlfriend as cool as mine, and that Forgeworld stuff is crazy expensive, so maybe you could sell yours on ebay and buy TWO Primarchs?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm kind of amused by the "A Beast Arises" coffee mug.

cause you drink coffee in the morning so the mug is like, i'm the beast arising, cause I'm just waking up and I'm a beast.

I don't know if that was intentional

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
$8 for a bookmark :geno:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
They don't have the inquisitorial emblem on anything, pretty glaring absence there.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The T-Shirts only go up to XXL. That seems... Overly optimistic, let's say.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Immanentized posted:

Hans..are we the baddies?

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Kylaer posted:

I was one of the people who didn't like them (I didn't read the third one but I did read the first two). What it seemed like to me was that the author was trying his very hardest to make the book run at a crescendo pace the entire way through, and it backfired and turned it into a tedious slog. There's little to nothing in the books that I can remember as being a break in the action, no interludes where things aren't being pushed at a fever pitch. Also, lots of fake-outs of character deaths.

I enjoyed them, but I definitely feel what you're saying here. The pacing in second one especially felt exhausting with how everything in the second half was one, long, continuous climax with no respites.

Still, definitely one of the better Chaos-focused serious despite that. The Thousand Sons sorcerer from Talon of Horus showing up in the third book felt a bit shoehorned in, though, and if it weren't for French and Dembski - Bowden being actual mates I would have suspected him being told to put in solely for the sake of marketing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Immanentized posted:

Looking at those messenger bags I thought "Well I guess I'd choose the Sigilite one, as it just looks like a random symbol, whereas most of the others would make people think I was a neo-nazi."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

Looking at those messenger bags I thought "Well I guess I'd choose the Sigilite one, as it just looks like a random symbol, whereas most of the others would make people think I was a neo-nazi."

I don't know where you live, but none of those bags look neo-nazi-like in any way. At worst, you should expect a kick in the nuts for spending $70 on a $25 canvas bag.

Is anyone finding I Am Slaughter to be a bit of a muddled drag? I love Abnett, but I am really having difficulty getting through the book...

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Oh hey, all this Ahriman talk makes me feel like picking them up for my fix while GW is in a bit of a slump with the heresy.

Physical books on Amazon. £16.35, £15.28 and £8.99

Sigh...

I'm old, dammit! I can't do this E-Book nonsense unless it's idiot proof in the Amazon store.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The Wulfen book is incredibly short. I read it in one sitting. It was good, but short.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is anyone finding I Am Slaughter to be a bit of a muddled drag? I love Abnett, but I am really having difficulty getting through the book...

It was definitely a weird one, felt very disjointed and almost as though it started life as a comic pitch.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Immanentized posted:

The only thing I would maybe consider buying would be a black tee shirt with the Eye of Horus on it and they don't even make that. Which is cool, because I don't really want to be THAT guy anyway.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Immanentized posted:

It was definitely a weird one, felt very disjointed and almost as though it started life as a comic pitch.

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AndyElusive posted:

The only thing I would maybe consider buying would be a black tee shirt with the Eye of Horus on it and they don't even make that. Which is cool, because I don't really want to be THAT guy anyway.

They need to bring back the party tyrant shirt:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The The Beast Arises books are clearly not meant to stand on their own as individual novels. With that in mind, I really enjoyed I Am Slaughter. It was just pure ramp up. Predator, Prey was a lot worse written and definitely suffered more from being just part of a larger story. But it introduced some cool plot lines I am excited to see develop in later volumes

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

The The Beast Arises books are clearly not meant to stand on their own as individual novels.
It doesn't have to stand on its own, it would be nice if it wasn't really disjointed feeling though. It almost seems like they took Abnett's notes and said "Good enough."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
New series of 40K comics to be released.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
Ive finally given up. I canceled my warmaster pre-order from 3 years ago. Its never coming out. I guess ill start reading those Ahriman books on my shelf if there's a new one out.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know where you live, but none of those bags look neo-nazi-like in any way. At worst, you should expect a kick in the nuts for spending $70 on a $25 canvas bag.

I loved it, sorry. I haven't read the next one yet, but I really enjoyed how different it was--kind of reminded me of Consider Phlebas in a way, although I don't know if I could articulate why yet.

Edit: I adored Pariah and disliked much of Salvation's Reach, though, so I recognize my feelings might not be typical here.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 19, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
That's actually really high praise, that Banks bit. I like Abnett's stuff, but is he really writing at that level?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Peztopiary posted:

That's actually really high praise, that Banks bit. I like Abnett's stuff, but is he really writing at that level?

No, although he's clearly pushing himself to be. In terms of literary sci-fi I think he's arrived at the Alastair Reynolds / maybe Guy Gavriel Kay tier, though. I'd rate some of his books--Prospero Burns, Pariah, maybe Know No Fear, maybe some of the Gereon Gaunt's Ghosts books, and Embedded (his original setting, not 40k)--as legit sci-fi sufficiently sophisticated to handle undergrad-level close reading.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

No. Also, maybe yes.

I guess it doesn't count now but the space wolves chasing him were the remnants of the 13th company. The wolves were absolutely terrifying in that novel, just beat down grim as gently caress dudes that have been in the warp since the heresy. One of the cooler bits of that is when they encounter modern codex marines and how fast and organized they are, they're pretty much "Who the gently caress are these dudes?" and they're just some run of the mill marines. There are also grey knights and poo poo and it's just fun.

The first Ahriman novel was pretty good but French just knocked it out of the ballpark with the other two. The second was a bit hard to follow at times because of the time fuckery and the books (I think purposely) raise more questions than they answer but I love them.

Just bought the last two on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hopefully you guys don't mind me posting this here, but as part of the oath thread, there is an achievement for writing a backstory for your model so I wrote a quick short story to go along with it.

quote:

His lips still mouthing the Benediction of Hatred, Brother Captain Garron forced himself to raise his head as the rough pull of the cruel blades against his flesh finally abated. He doubted that his reprieve would last long. As his head raised, his muscles screamed from days of hanging with his arms chained cruciform. The robed forms of his four ever present tormentors blurred into focus. They had retreated a few steps from him, bloody daggers still in hand. By now he'd grown used to the pale, waxy scar tissue that were their sole facial features.

“Your prayers fall upon indifferent ears,” said a deep, silky voice as the hulking form of the arch-traitor flowed from the shadows. The faceless humans fell to one knee at his presence, their ruined faces pressed to the stone floor, the giant paying no heed to them as he passed. Garron felt his blood turn hot with anger at the sight, his body subconsciously straining against the cruel chains that bound him. The fallen Astartes stopped in front of him and gently lifted Garron’s chin with thumb and forefinger, the sleeve of his black robe slipping back to reveal pallid skin stretched over gene-forged muscle. He leaned in close to Garron. His face was hidden behind a pristine white mask shaped in the visage of a delicate human face, a single black tear drop molded below the right eye. “Don’t worry,” he continued, softer now. “Soon you will have a captivated audience for all of your devotionals, Brother Captain.”

Garron spat, the crimson spittle bright against the ivory of the mask. “You are no brother of mine,” Garron growled, his weary voice sounding pitiful in its dryness. “You left that title with the tattered remains of your broken oaths.” He forced a defiant grin. “And if you think that a few cuts are going to break mine, you are sadly mistaken. I must thank you, in fact. It has been a while since my last proper devotional.”

A low chuckle came from beneath the mask as the hand was retracted, letting Garron’s chin drop to his chest. “It is always a pleasure to have a Son of Dorn. Without a gag, I get to hear all of the empty threats and false piety. Your Gene-Father’s stubbornness is just an added benefit.” One of the faceless thralls wheeled a stained steel table between Garron and the masked traitor. “Not that it will help you in the end,” he paused, laying several blunt instruments upon the table, before adding, “my brother.”

The masked heretic met Garron’s gaze, then slowly produced a small object from within his robes and began rolling it between his fingers. Garron’s wounds began to throb and itch. For the first time, his gaze to fell upon the mosaic of cuts and brands that marred his skin. Seeing that each one formed a profane symbol that intertwined into a blasphemous web of sigils filled him with revulsion, his vision swimming at the sight.

“What—" The words caught in this throat a moment as throbbing agony built in his wounds. He caught his breath and choked them out. "What have you done to me?"

“I was Brother Undariel, Captain of the Blood Angels Fifth Company,” the traitor said, his focus still on the object twirling in his fingers. “Glory and duty came easy. My skill was unmatched. Veldo the Blood Scourge, Warboss Eadsnappa, The Herald of the True Faith, The Hunter of Ruin, all met their end at the edge of my blade.” Undariel turned his attention back to Garron and with a slow, deliberate movement, placed the small object onto the table. He removed his hand from the table, revealing a single service stud. When Garron’s eyes met the small metal spike, the itching, burning, throbbing cacophony of sensation reached a crescendo, and he struggled just to draw breath. Carved into the embossed Aquila on the head of the spike was an intricate symbol of obscene beauty, inlaid with gold and silver. Garron tore his gaze from the garish sigil and met the mask’s empty gaze.

Above the roar of the sensory overload, only one thing was clear. “Pathetic,” Garron said. How dare this scum bother him with such insignificant deeds, “bragging of the empty deeds of a heretic. They mean nothing to me. Give me a blade so that you may witness a true skill and be sent to the Emperor to be judged for your desecration.”

“I was Sanguinius,” Undariel continued, producing a second service stud from the folds of his robes and placing it on the table beside the first. The symbol on this one crude, as if made with a chisel.

“Do not ignore me you traitorous coward,” Garron snarled, his choler suddenly rising at the slight. He pulled at his bindings, his scabbed over wounds splitting and running anew with fresh blood. “Face me!”

“I fell to the curse of my geneseed, imprisoned in the death throes of my long dead father. Cursed with unbridled rage for a death that was not mine and forced to make it my own.”

Garron could feel the hot blood pouring down his arms from where the chains bit into his arms, the pain of these new wounds joining the chorus of agony, but he didn’t care. He had to get free. He had to kill this traitor. His breath was coming heavy now, seething past lips dripping with pink saliva. He flailed against the chains, he had to get free. He had to kill.

His body slumped against the unyielding chains, fatigue winning out over his anger. Temporarily defeated, Garron’s eyes discovered that a third stud had been placed with the other two. This spike looked to be ancient and tarnished, three rusty rings hammered into the Aquila. Garron realized suddenly that the sensations in his skin had changed. Without losing their intensity, they had also gotten duller, as if they had always been there. He looked down at the wounds and saw the skin around them blackening, translucent yellow pus beginning to mix with the blood. He smiled, for in that moment he knew that his revenge would be inevitable.

“I was forsaken,” Undariel said upon seeing Garron’s rage ebb. “My father abandoned us, cursing us even in death. The corpse Emperor abandoned us to obtain godhood, condemning us to serve a bureaucracy that repays our sacrifices only with suspicion and enslavement. Even my brothers forsook me, sentencing me to death for the crimes of our father.”

A fourth stud was placed on the table. A serpentine symbol twisted and writhed on the Aquila, pulsing with unseen power. That power called to Garron. With it, he knew he could restore the galaxy to the Emperor’s vision and strike down those who wish to destroy humanity. Part of him knew the truth in this lie and railed against it, but its screams of hatred were no match for the glorious torment that drowned them out. Garron reveled in the sensation as his skin knit back together, the necrotic furrows replaced with pale pink scar tissue. The fatigue in his muscles faded away, replaced by this raw power. His scars sang with glorious sensation, every twin pulsebeat of his hearts sent strength through his veins. And in his mind, he reveled in the inevitability of all things.

“I was reborn, released from the shackles of the Imperium, my mind free from the failure of the Angel. My fate freed to find my own death.

Garron felt Undariel lift his chin again, breaking the siren hold of the four studs. The skin of his face tingled as the mask slid into place. Inside of his mind, something screamed and thrashed, trying to fight through his clouded mind and regain control.

“I am nothing,” said his forsaken Brother. “I am faceless.” Garron was vaguely aware of Undariel picking something off the table as he said, “I am eternal.”

With a hammer blow, the sound of a service stud punching through the ceramite mask and into the flesh and bone of his skull filled Garron’s rapturous ears and the screaming abruptly stopped, to be replaced by beautiful whispers.

And here is my model of Undariel the Faceless.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Has there been any news of that WH40K official movie? Apparently it's written by Saint Abnett himself

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Phi230 posted:

Has there been any news of that WH40K official movie? Apparently it's written by Saint Abnett himself

No, there has not been any news of the 40k movie recently. And with good reason

http://www.amazon.com/Ultramarines-Warhammer-Blu-ray/dp/B00ATP23R4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456619380&sr=8-3&keywords=ultramarines

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well... It was written by Abnett.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I think it was half abnett.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 28, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've always loved the notion of a film based on Titanicus. There are giant machine-gods blowing poo poo up, religious/political machinations, and a variety of poor sods struggling to stay alive amidst it all. If ever a WH40k movie is made at all it'll be about SPESS MAHREENS, of course, but a man can dream.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My dream is an HBO Eisenhorn or perhaps a Gaunts Ghost campaign done up alla Band of Brothers. Alas, this world is not good enough for such things :/.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My dream is an HBO Eisenhorn or perhaps a Gaunts Ghost campaign done up alla Band of Brothers. Alas, this world is not good enough for such things :/.

I'd be so hard for a Netflix miniseries type thing for the Ghosts, Eisenhorn, or maybe even Ciaphas Cain. The Hero of the Imperium anthology could be a good one to adapt: you get a mixed-gender regiment, then three storylines against increasingly nasty opponents that cover all the major races in 40k save the eldar and tyranids.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They could do 'nids in a flashback to when he met Jurgen after someone asks at some point. It's be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
A Neill Blomkamp movie about the Mechanicus