Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah justice probably wasn't the right word -- aspirations works better definitely. Kinda hope the power loss speculations don't come to pass personally, I can see where that would make sense but the resulting angst doesn't seem like it would be very fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Green Intern posted:

So do we know what the creepy blood-girl's power is? I assume it is related to drinking blood.

She is a Khrone Berserker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlpQ2G7Cltw

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I always got the impression that Bakugou wants to be famous, rather than infamous.

His teachers (and his sponsor for work study) all have noted his lovely attitude however, so who knows. How would you even sell the concept to him?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulderman posted:

I really hope this whole plan backfires horribly. Bakugo's a poo poo head but he's still a hero. They just took Baron Explodo-kill back to their base of operations... That's not the best of ideas.

They have not brought him to their base yet. He along with Tokoyami are in the Marbles the Magician is holding.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Going all Sasuke with Bakugou would be The Worst Thing. What would be interesting I think is if they capture him, he proves that to be a big mistake, and the cops tell him to keep hushed up about wrecking a villain base. I am sure he would react very differently than Deku and the others did to that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Tell me about Horikoshi. Why does he wear the mask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEnZvw6hKvo

e: Holy poo poo, that action figure collection. This is a man living the loving dream!

e2: In hindsight, I don't know why on earth I thought Toga's mask might have been anything but a direct Bane reference. The dude breathes comics. He probably signs his checks in Impact font.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 27, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Where was the panel where we saw inside the marbles? Didn't spot it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Darth Walrus posted:

Where was the panel where we saw inside the marbles? Didn't spot it.

We did not, but Tokoyami and Bakugou are both missing, the guy is holding two marbles, and he said he captured them with his quirk while flaunting the two marbles, so unless the guy's doing a fake out this is the obvious assumption to make about the situation.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vengarr posted:

Tell me about Horikoshi. Why does he wear the mask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEnZvw6hKvo

e: Holy poo poo, that action figure collection. This is a man living the loving dream!

e2: In hindsight, I don't know why on earth I thought Toga's mask might have been anything but a direct Bane reference. The dude breathes comics. He probably signs his checks in Impact font.

A good number of japanese people are fond of their privacy so they hide their face for widespread broadcasts or such. Honestly not a bad idea.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd probably do the same thing, honestly.

Being famous seems like a hassle.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kyte posted:

A good number of japanese people are fond of their privacy so they hide their face for widespread broadcasts or such. Honestly not a bad idea.

His face is already out there, though.

The real answer is that he's a westaboo.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bakugou could be convinced by the villain alliance by the sheer fact that he'd be allowed to fight Deku without having to hold back. Finally, a chance to prove that he's the strongest!

I think it'd be way more satisfying if he comes out of it with a stronger sense of heroism, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

As long as Bakugou doesn't go full Sasuke I'm okay with whatever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Bakugou could be convinced by the villain alliance by the sheer fact that he'd be allowed to fight Deku without having to hold back. Finally, a chance to prove that he's the strongest!

I think it'd be way more satisfying if he comes out of it with a stronger sense of heroism, though.

I don't think holding back is a setting on the Bakugou dial.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bakugou loses his power, Deku passes the One For All onto him.
Because we know from All-Might still being mighty that two people can share the power at the same time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We also know All Might's hiding something from Deku regarding how the transition of power works, so that's probably not a great idea.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Still not aboard the "Bakugou may be a jerk, but he's still a hero" train, but I do think/hope there's enough to him that he won't be easily swayed by whatever the bad guys have to say.

It's not so much because I think he's a good person, but more because he already has a goal (to be the best Hero) and the idea of anyone convincing him to change it seems slim to none. Him convincing himself that being a villain is a good idea (so he could fight people like All Might directory) wouldn't be that surprising, but I really don't see it happening as a result of him being kidnapped.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 28, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He could subvert the cliche by not turning, but playing along and taking their offer to save his neck. Any idiot would know that refusing their offer would lead to death or worse, so why not play along and hope you get rescued? Maybe go along on a raid or something, sabotage it, but also maybe take the opportunity to finally have it out with Midoriya or Todoroki in serious mode?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

chumbler posted:

I don't think holding back is a setting on the Bakugou dial.

More like "other people stepping in to stop him."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

He could subvert the cliche by not turning, but playing along and taking their offer to save his neck. Any idiot would know that refusing their offer would lead to death or worse, so why not play along and hope you get rescued? Maybe go along on a raid or something, sabotage it, but also maybe take the opportunity to finally have it out with Midoriya or Todoroki in serious mode?

Doesn't seem Bakugo's style. Honestly, while I do think Bakugou has potential to be a villain this seems like the worst way to turn him. Like, if the villain alliance approached him after his match with Todoroki where he was still loving pissed that Deku was showed more respect than him he might've listened to them just out of frustration. But if they just outright kidnap him I can't seem him giving them the time of day just because Bakugou wouldn't even bother to listen to them at that point, he'd probably just try to kick their rear end for messing with him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah.

I feel like Bakugou would be much more likely to go full villain on his own, sort of a lone wolf, rather than be "Convinced" to turn heel or join some organization.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Going all Sasuke with Bakugou would be The Worst Thing. What would be interesting I think is if they capture him, he proves that to be a big mistake, and the cops tell him to keep hushed up about wrecking a villain base. I am sure he would react very differently than Deku and the others did to that.

making a character into sasuke is always the worst thing, but I dunno that bakugo is gonna end up like that. hell, even if he does turn into a villain for deku to redeem, bakugo already has some of sasuke's big problems dealt with. he and deku have a preeestablished history and reason to think the way they do about one another, for example. it's not as though they barely knew each other until the story began, then became bffs for life within the span of a month like in naruto

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
We also already have Tokoyami meeting the "DARKNESS" quota. Except for him it actually makes sense given his power and all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is turning a character into Sasuke really something that happens all that often? I know the rival character joining the bad guys is an old trope but I don't think they usually go through the terrible narrative Sasuke had. It doesn't feel like something that we should fear of happening.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
People just really REALLY (justifiably) hate Sasuke.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I think Tokoyami is the spy. He's hammed it up so much with the darkness crap in his speech.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is turning a character into Sasuke really something that happens all that often? I know the rival character joining the bad guys is an old trope but I don't think they usually go through the terrible narrative Sasuke had. It doesn't feel like something that we should fear of happening.

Sort of, but it's worrying because Sasuke was just crushingly terrible. The worst. For years and years.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sasuke left an indelible mark on the minds of the anime fandom, when Sasuke "went Sasuke", it was like the 9/11 of anime.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

Sasuke left an indelible mark on the minds of the anime fandom, when Sasuke "went Sasuke", it was like the 9/11 of anime.

Never Forget

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Vengarr posted:

Never Forget

...that Sasuke was incredibly popular among the Japaneese fanbase, which is the core audience for this work.

The next time you look at a young man who grew up better than everyone else, and is driven to improve himself, but is frustrated by the fact the weakest of his childhood acquaintances is suddenly much stronger, and also cares about him on a slightly creepy emotional level? Remind yourself that the people buying these comics really, really want him to go full grimdark.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mystic Mongol posted:

...that Sasuke was incredibly popular among the Japaneese fanbase, which is the core audience for this work.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that it was more that Sasuke was extremely popular with the people who voted in popularity polls and in part two the sales for Naruto took a hit whenever Sasuke was the focus. But then, this is completely without source on the internet, so.....

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought Sasuke went "full grimdark" because his entire family had been murdered by his brother, not because he was jealous of Naruto.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought Sasuke went "full grimdark" because his entire family had been murdered by his brother, not because he was jealous of Naruto.

Nah his family being murdered and him wanting vengeance was his backstory. He was still a good guy while wanting revenge and was even starting to improve and get over it. Then he started to get super jealous of Naruto combined with his brother he wanted revenge on beating him up. He felt he was not progressing fast enough. So he agreed to go work for Orochimaru in order to become much stronger much faster. (Oro is a very good teacher and did this.)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah his family being murdered and him wanting vengeance was his backstory. He was still a good guy while wanting revenge and was even starting to improve and get over it. Then he started to get super jealous of Naruto combined with his brother he wanted revenge on beating him up. He felt he was not progressing fast enough. So he agreed to go work for Orochimaru in order to become much stronger much faster. (Oro is a very good teacher and did this.)

I dunno man. Like I know he was jealous of how fast Naruto was progressing but it still feels like the whole backstory contributed significantly to him going over the edge. He felt he was going to get strong enough to face his brother but then he didn't at all. (Oh then his brother also put him in a magic coma to make him relive his parents death for like a month or whatever).

Bakugou has one element of Sasuke's character without having the other huge defining trait. It would be super contrived for him to go evil just because some kid he thought was pathetic actually became strong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno man. Like I know he was jealous of how fast Naruto was progressing but it still feels like the whole backstory contributed significantly to him going over the edge. He felt he was going to get strong enough to face his brother but then he didn't at all. (Oh then his brother also put him in a magic coma to make him relive his parents death for like a month or whatever).

Bakugou has one element of Sasuke's character without having the other huge defining trait. It would be super contrived for him to go evil just because some kid he thought was pathetic actually became strong.

Oh I agree with you about that. It would not make sense for Bakugou to go evil.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno man. Like I know he was jealous of how fast Naruto was progressing but it still feels like the whole backstory contributed significantly to him going over the edge.

Please don't try to justify the actions of Dr. Snakes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a lot of reasons Sasuke sucks but the reason it's not quite the same as this is that Sasuke left willingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
wasn't part of the reason Sasuke left also that he chased after Itachi, found him, and Itachi was like 'I'm not here for you, I'm here for Naruto.' which kind of hosed him up even more because even his brother that he had sworn revenge on was considering him a lesser threat then Naruto? Like I don't think Sasuke knew about the 9 Tails or anything at that point either and no one decided to tell him so he didn't think Itachi had some secondary reason for wanting to find Naruto. In this case the villains are specifically like 'yeah we don't care about Deku, we want Bakugou', which is basically the opposite.