Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I just hit summer and all my crops turned brown. Is there no salvaging anything or am I going to have to salt the earth

also what season can I plant trees (maple seeds)?

Wilted plants need to be removed, no salvaging available. Maple trees (and pine and whatever the other one is) can be planted whenever, just have a care where you swing your tools around, you can cut down the nascent sapling in one stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've tried to plant all the tree seeds and it always won't do it and says wrong season

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Only played an hour or two so far over the weekend. Can someone explain fishing? I had a fish on the line and then some mini game opened up and I sort of fumbled my way through it not really knowing what the hell I just did.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Reb posted:

Only played an hour or two so far over the weekend. Can someone explain fishing? I had a fish on the line and then some mini game opened up and I sort of fumbled my way through it not really knowing what the hell I just did.

Tap the mouse button really quick to move the green box upwards, and it goes downwards on its own. Try to keep the fish icon inside the green box.

Edit: Wait, you can HOLD the mouse button too? God, that must make it so much easier! :doh:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Reb posted:

You have to keep the green bar over the fish image. "over the fin" didn't make any sense to me either, I thought it meant behind the fish or something.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Reb posted:

You click and hold the mouse button to make the green slider move up and down, and you want to make sure the fish icon stays within it.

Also, am I right in assuming that in order to get the sewer keys, you have to complete the museum collection?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Rookersh posted:

Here's how I thought it out.

Crab Pots are fairly cheap to make anyway, just asking 40 wood/2 iron. And by the time you want more then 1-2 Crab Pots, you should have so much wood/iron anyway, it won't matter.

Some fish though are preeeeety good to sell, and later on, you'll have fishing days, where you basically just don't want to go into the mine/deal with your farm, so it's a quick/free income boost. Also it applies to the coral/sea things on the beach, which are EASY loving MONEY, so again, free income.

During the Summer, if you go to the beach biweekly with that perk, you can easily make 10kish a week just off grabbing the corals. It's great.

Most important of all, though, is FISH MAN sells traps once they're available for 1500 each so why the gently caress would you ever make them.

They're infinitely reuseable! Who cares?! Get fish bux!

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Thompsons posted:

You click and hold the mouse button to make the green slider move up and down, and you want to make sure the fish icon stays within it.

Yeah, that's kind of what I managed to do and got the fish. Just wasn't sure if I was doing it right or if there was some other special trick to it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Thompsons posted:

Also, am I right in assuming that in order to get the sewer keys, you have to complete the museum collection?

Not complete, but a good portion of it, yeah.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Question: A while back, someone posted a patch to fix the diagonal movement speed. The new official patch broke it, would it be safe to reapply the old movement patch or will that mess things up?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Thompsons posted:

I sure as poo poo don't seem to be able to talk to him about anything else!

I'm coming up on the flower festival, spring of year 1. I've hit level 20 in the cave. My advice to newbies is to grow potatoes. Those fuckers sell for a lot and you often get more than what you originally planted since they can come in groups of up to three. It's only a six day turn around from planting to harvest, so you can get a bunch of em out in spring.

Not sure if my strawberries will ever yield before the end of spring, bought a bunch during !Easter, and planted them a few days later when some space opened up rather than planting right away. Balls. :(

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Icedude posted:

Tap the mouse button really quick to move the green box upwards, and it goes downwards on its own. Try to keep the fish icon inside the green box.

Edit: Wait, you can HOLD the mouse button too? God, that must make it so much easier! :doh:

It actually makes it much harder, because the bar has momentum of a sort and holding down the mouse will make it accelerate right past the fish. Tapping and massaging it with brief button holds works wonders for keeping it where you want.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dmboogie posted:

Question: A while back, someone posted a patch to fix the diagonal movement speed. The new official patch broke it, would it be safe to reapply the old movement patch or will that mess things up?

The patch was a pre-modded exe, so using it won't work. There was an early modding tool posted a page ago, I can't figure out how to define diagonal movement specifically though.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

I've tried to plant all the tree seeds and it always won't do it and says wrong season

I have this problem too. It was a bug that was supposedly fixed in the first patch but I still can't plant them. I was gonna clearcut my farm and plant new trees in neat little rows, too. :(

How much of a threat are crows btw? Planting extensive fields for the first time, and the amount of scarecrows I've been putting up is a little silly.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 29, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
ConcernedApe has posted on reddit saying he might boost running speed a bit, as well as fix the diagonal run speed.

He knows it's a bug. He's working on it. The diagonal speed, that is.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Will the museum accept duplicate donations? I'm worried I'm throwing away money by not selling things because I didn't realize I had already donated one of them before

Also, is the +1 fishing soup that the fish store sells a permanent buff?

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Zoe posted:

How much of a threat are crows btw? Planting extensive fields for the first time, and the amount of scarecrows I've been putting up is a little silly.

Crows, much like in reallife, are assholes and will eat the poo poo out of your crops, plant, and trellis. Scarecrows save you money in the long run.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Scarecrows also keep a count of how many crows they scared away.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Will the museum accept duplicate donations? I'm worried I'm throwing away money by not selling things because I didn't realize I had already donated one of them before

A certain NPC, available when you get a steel pick, can accept some specific category of museum artifacts as good gifts. Otherwise I've just been selling the non-gemstones.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ulvirich posted:

A certain NPC, available when you get a steel pick, can accept some specific category of museum artifacts as good gifts. Otherwise I've just been selling the non-gemstones.

As far as I can tell this NPC won't actually gain friendpoints until you get the special book associated with them, so even then it's not worth bothering with immediately.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Dang, I no longer remember at which depth range I found tons of amethyst.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
If you spend the 25k bundle at the Safe in the community center, you get a machine that will perpetually clone any gems you feed in to it (until you swap it for another).

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Also, is the +1 fishing soup that the fish store sells a permanent buff?

The museum doesn't accept duplicate donations, so you're safe to sell. The description of an item (when you mouse over it in the menu) tells you that Gunther can tell you more about it if it's an item you can donate that you haven't yet, which makes it easy to double check what you should hang on to and what you can sell.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
How deep do you need to go in the mines till you hit iron? I know you can just buy it, but what if I want to dig it up? Ditto for gold. This game owns.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Robo Turnus posted:

How deep do you need to go in the mines till you hit iron? I know you can just buy it, but what if I want to dig it up? Ditto for gold. This game owns.

It starts showing up regularly after level 40, although you can very occasionally find it in the floors just above that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm sorry for all these really dumb questions but... How do I apply bait to my fishing rod?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Right click the bait then right click the fishing rod.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Crossposting from Chucklefish:

In addition, I made a few more tweaks tonight.
All Fish All Seasons does exactly what it says. It edits Content\Data\Fish.xnb to allow all fish to be caught in every season.
All Fish All Seasons All Times All Weathers takes it further, editing the same file to allow all fish to be caught all 4 seasons, from 0600 to 2600, in both sunny and rainy weather.

As always, back up your files. Both should be unzipped to your base Stardew Valley folder so that Content\Data\Fish.xnb is replaced. Let me know about any problems!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

I'm sorry for all these really dumb questions but... How do I apply bait to my fishing rod?

You need to have a fiberglass or iridium rod to attach bait by left clicking the bait, then right clicking the rod as mentioned above me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Robo Turnus posted:

Gold is 80.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Are crab pots still broken with 1.02, or am I going to have to restart my game to fix these drat things?

Also does anyone know if there's any way to respec. I took forester over gatherer because I misread it(I thought more wood per tree, not more money per wood) and that's adding points to starting over.

Are the full skill trees available anywhere yet?

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

The error message is just wrong. Don't till the earth with your hoe where you are trying to plant the seed. If you already did, just hit it with your pickaxe to un-till it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Skills has most of the skills, but it looks like basically nobody has made it to 10 yet.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

dmboogie posted:

ConcernedApe posted this on /r/stardewvalley a few hours ago, so patch incoming:

/u/ConcernedApe posted:

I just want to let you guys know that I've been listening to your feedback about the diagonal run speed. I'm working on it right now, and I hope to have another update some time tonight that will hopefully resolve the issue. Thanks for bearing with me and thanks for playing Stardew Valley! :)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Marnie you're loving killing me, when are you selling poo poo!?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm in fall, but I'm considering starting over to get further in the mine. I feel like it's more important than farming early on.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

inthesto posted:

we probably need this to go into the OP, but the bamboo rod doesn't take bait.

busb fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 29, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I got some kind of upgraded wooden sword out of a chest so I'm off to go hit some more monsters with it so I can get iron to upgrade my pickaxe and hopefully break into this meteorite and get what's inside. When I'm not doing that I'm collecting animals, vegetables, and minerals to make offerings to the forest sprites I saw on a mushroom trip so they'll renovate the community center. And in between all that I run around town making friends by giving out jars of mayonnaise.

This game rules.

Protip for anyone having trouble with friendship: as far as I can tell everybody at least likes artisan goods, so once you get the mayo machine you should be okay for baseline gifts. Once you get the tap or the preserves barrel you're golden; I have two barrels going constantly working through the absolutely stupid amount of blackberries I have after summer.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Chakan posted:

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Skills has most of the skills, but it looks like basically nobody has made it to 10 yet.

Uggh blind skill trees with no respec option.

I'm only on fall 12 maybe I'll wait a day or two for crab pots and run speed and restart. I'm sure you could get a lot more done with fixed diagonal speed in a given day anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Chantilly Say posted:

I got some kind of upgraded wooden sword out of a chest so I'm off to go hit some more monsters with it so I can get iron to upgrade my pickaxe and hopefully break into this meteorite and get what's inside. When I'm not doing that I'm collecting animals, vegetables, and minerals to make offerings to the forest sprites I saw on a mushroom trip so they'll renovate the community center. And in between all that I run around town making friends by giving out jars of mayonnaise.

This game rules.

Protip for anyone having trouble with friendship: as far as I can tell everybody at least likes artisan goods, so once you get the mayo machine you should be okay for baseline gifts. Once you get the tap or the preserves barrel you're golden; I have two barrels going constantly working through the absolutely stupid amount of blackberries I have after summer.

Meteorite is the gold pick axe.