Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

drunken officeparty posted:

What's the loving point of the copper pickax if it won't even let me break the big rocks in my south yard or the weird rock blocking the side path at the mine entrance or the loving meteorite stuck in my field

All rocks in the mine have hp. Say a rock has 2hp. A copper pick will break it in one swing instead of two, saving you stamina. This let's you get deeper into the mine faster and get more from any individual mine run. The rocks continue to scale up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lol the Claymore is pretty overpowered for its cost

bottom of the mine before the first summer, what what

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

frank.club posted:

How substantially does a coop increase profit

Build a mayo machine to process the the eggs and that's an extra 400g a day.

I just caught a sea cucumber, gross.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I know there is a wiki, but it doesn't seem to be complete and it's hard to follow so I created a document that lists all villagers with their loved and liked gifts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UE6NHxsvv5BRLVJDyk4jUzBeiVgvepInF_TEcyY5IDA/pubhtml

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SuicideSnowman posted:

I know there is a wiki, but it doesn't seem to be complete and it's hard to follow so I created a document that lists all villagers with their loved and liked gifts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UE6NHxsvv5BRLVJDyk4jUzBeiVgvepInF_TEcyY5IDA/pubhtml

You are a scholar and a gentlegoon.

(Also, Abigail likes and will apparently eat quartz. I can attest to this experimentally.)

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You are a scholar and a gentlegoon.

(Also, Abigail likes and will apparently eat quartz. I can attest to this experimentally.)

Yeah, I think she'll eat most minerals and considers them a like, but in the file data nothing is listed so I didn't put anything there. This document is a direct link from the data in the game files (which have no likes listed under Abigail)

edit: Also keep in mind that certain villagers have dislikes which may or may not clash with the universal loves/likes. So, keep in mind that while it may be listed in universal as a love or a like certain villagers have rules that override that.

SuicideSnowman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 29, 2016

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

And for anyone seeking to buy people's affection:
Everyone seems to like Icecream and Coffee, probably a lot of other foods too.

I just buy a bunch of 'em at a time ( Icecream is sold by Alex in front of the museum/library in summer, and various other places as well, and the saloon sells coffee all the time.) And run around gifting 'em to everyone I stumble over.

The Saloon is pretty nice for gifing people, since there's often Shane? Pam, Clint, and a couple others there at nights, and both Pam and Shane love beer, which can also be bought there.

There seems to be some nice bonuses from being friends with people, I've gotten 2 recipes from Shane already, and George ( the old dude in a wheelchair ) sent me like 60 stones in a letter, too. (George how did you even manage to do that.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SuicideSnowman posted:

Yeah, I think she'll eat most minerals and considers them a like, but in the file data nothing is listed so I didn't put anything there. This document is a direct link from the data in the game files (which have no likes listed under Abigail)

edit: Also keep in mind that certain villagers have dislikes which may or may not clash with the universal loves/likes. So, keep in mind that while it may be listed in universal as a love or a like certain villagers have rules that override that.

I already worked that second part out, but it's relevant to newcomers.

And really, feeding Abigail quartz is the most cost-effective outcome if you don't have amethyst or chocolate cake on hand.

(She doesn't say she eats the amethyst, but she is pretty purple.)

Edit: Nobody dislikes coffee? Good to know.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Gah, where are all the blackberries hiding. I just need one, I've been searching for days, come on...

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Apparently it is possible to change your professions in the save file, but apparently I'm an idiot and can't find where the save files are.

Anyone want to help a moron out?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

hahaha oh man this cutscene with the tent hobo

Hobo guy: Hey, I want to show you something, come inside my tent!

Off-camera noises: *squish squish squish sploooort*

Hobo guy: It's a special kind of fish bait that I make!

:gonk:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The sashimi recipe is a godsend. There's only a few characters who hate it, so I just fish up a bunch of carp in the sewer, cut them up, and then give people week old sewer carp sashimi until I run out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zoe posted:

Gah, where are all the blackberries hiding. I just need one, I've been searching for days, come on...

I think the thing may be mistimed, wait a few more days and you'll start seeing dark blue all over a lot of bushes.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: Nobody dislikes coffee? Good to know.

According to the files, Jas & Vincent don't like it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

which level 5 mining is more useful, Miner or Geologist, i don't want to end up regretting it but they both sound useful

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you hold down picking with seeds in your hand it will literally pick+plant while you keep moving. And when you pick it pauses the game during the pick animation.

I still am not sure if I want corn compared to other crops. The only real pro is I won't have to rehoe+refertilize the soil in autumn.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
With the 1.02 update if you upgrade a tool a new basic one will pop out of the bed in the morning.

At least thats what the note that said, "Hey, we found your missing hoe."

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think the thing may be mistimed, wait a few more days and you'll start seeing dark blue all over a lot of bushes.

Okay, that was it. I thought I was looking for a regular forage item you pick up off the ground. The berries didn't show up till day 8.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
How do you get more hearts with chickens? Anyone know?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SuicideSnowman posted:

This is amazing, if you could add a tab for the fish stuff it would be perfect.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone know the mechanics with bee hives and flowers? How far can flowers be from the hive? Do most types of flowers work? What is the optimal bee hive positioning? I have 9 hives at the moment and I'm wondering if I can get 8 off of a single flower patch or at least 4 off of one.

Dr. Carwash posted:

How do you get more hearts with chickens? Anyone know?
Just give it time.

Pet them everyday.

Maybe putting them outside in a fenced in area on sunny days helps speed it up? I have full hearts and I just leave them in there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 29, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

New build:

quote:

Gameplay Additions/Changes:
The cooking menu now looks for items in your refrigerator as well as your inventory.
:siren:Scarecrow range reduce to 8 tiles radius. :siren:
Movement speed slightly increased.
The price of mayonnaise and other artisan animal products now increased by the rancher profession.
Once you befriend someone to 2 hearts, their room is permanently unlocked, even if you go below 2 hearts again.
Auto-run is now the default setting for new characters.

Bug Fixes
Diagonal movement speed now proper.
Fixed duplicate item issue in the mines.
Ladders should no longer spawn underneath the player, locking them in place.
Fixed problems with the Community Center menu. You can now throw items down and delete them ('delete' key) in the Community Center menu.
Fixed item quality exploit.
You can now throw items down while in the crafting menu.
If you destroy the stable, you can now rebuild it.
Spa won't recharge you while the game is paused (e.g. steam overlay up).
Fixed problems with the Stardew Valley Fair fishing game.
Various stability fixes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Aww, no more 20 tile radius Scarecrow. Guess I'll have to build another one!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know why they decided the final version of Harvey should be a young Jim Gordon, but I'll roll with it to see where this could go.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I named my guy Harvey not knowing there was a Harvey npc and it confused me slightly

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I cannot catch a fish to save my life wtf

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Wow. Walk speed feels right on point now.

Do the Rarecrows actually scare crows? I have one but I can't talk to it like the others.

StrangeAeon posted:

I cannot catch a fish to save my life wtf

Welcome to real life! Fishing is hard

Just practice at it. Hold the button in brief bursts (or long clicks if you're on mouse.) to kind of juggle it in position.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Starting out I found i had the best luck fishing sunfish in the town river they are super lazy fish and dont jerk around like a lot of the harder fish that crop up in the ocean/lake

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone should put a giant, bold THERE IS NO FAIL STATE CALM DOWN AND ENJOY YOURSELF in the op

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Making a million blackberry jams and handing them out to everyone I encounter has gotten me to at least 5 hearts with everyone besides the wizard by Autumn 20.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
When I was a kid I played Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town a poo poo ton. How similar is this to that, and is it better or worse?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The hobo/hermit is the only guy who understands me :unsmith: While everyone else is hovering around 2 hearts because I don't obsessively pay attention to them, he just shot up to 4 hearts in no time. I just pay him a visit whenever I'm in the area and give him some food, and for that he sent me some maki rolls and a recipe to make sashimi which I'm now making an enterprise of.

It also helps that I love the fishing minigame, and the occasional loot chest makes it so much more fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fun Times! posted:

When I was a kid I played Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town a poo poo ton. How similar is this to that, and is it better or worse?

as someone who also played that a lot when i was younger, this game is a lot less nervewracking and every time i enter the mine i breathe a sigh of relief because it's not the goddamn ordeal it is in that fucker of a game

e: also am i the only one who can't switch to other pages in the community bundle viewer in the menu? it only shows the pantry for me.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Khorne posted:

If you turn it into seeds you can sell it for more. You can also pickle it. Not sure what else you can do with it but I do agree it's a really underwhelming crop and me investing all my money into it is why I had a slow summer 1. At least near the end of the fall I started processing the corn into seeds

Whoa whoa, how do you process crops into seeds? Can you do this with rare stuff?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Similar enough to love it but different enough to merit playing.

Biggest differences that will actually matter:

You don't have to savescum to progress in the mines.

The giant rock that blocks the road doesn't say "And wint....!1773 #81 <return>" when you examine it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Viral Warfare posted:

So is this good or not?

It's seven in the morning. I forgot to have dinner last night, and all I can think is "Ok this time for real, just one more day and I'll go to bed"

:ohdear: Help.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Similar enough to love it but different enough to merit playing.

Biggest differences that will actually matter:

You don't have to savescum to progress in the mines.

The giant rock that blocks the road doesn't say "And wint....!1773 #81 <return>" when you examine it.

It's been a bunch of years but I remember quitting FoMT because of how lame the mine was. Is this world bigger? My other gripe with FoMT was how small it felt.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the map actually kinda feels just the right size. there's also little bonus areas you eventually unlock by completing stuff, so it's basically gravy on top.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Pigbottom posted:

It's seven in the morning. I forgot to have dinner last night, and all I can think is "Ok this time for real, just one more day and I'll go to bed"

:ohdear: Help.

Yeah I look at hours played on Steam compared to how long it's been out and it's just fuckin embarrassing. I swear I haven't been physically in front of the computer the entire time the game's been open, no really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kickascii posted:

Whoa whoa, how do you process crops into seeds? Can you do this with rare stuff?
There is a literal seed machine. No idea what level it requires.

It doesn't work with fruit from trees and wild stuff. But, it might work with ancient fruit if that's what you are getting at. Pretty sure it works with star fruit.