Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

I will be absolutely stunned if even you, someone who says the movie is extremely good, will remember it at all in six months.

Maybe they should show more violence, nudity and molesting so they could market it as THE MOST SHOCKING MOVIE, show it to the HBO fans and get all the fantasy, science fiction, superhero fans on board.

The weirdest complaint is that the movie is too "modest". It's about journalists and newspapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Room was fantastic and if the Academy really didn't want to give Best Picture to a movie that the demographic of people who unironically watch Oscars for reasons other than poo poo-talking them (those monsters) wouldn't rush out and buy the Blu-Ray for because it's not about white people overcoming social issues with polemic-filled monologues, then that's what they should have given it to.

Spotlight is a good movie. Maybe even a great one. But it's not the best, and if you're not the best, you shouldn't be getting awards that have "best" in the title. Y'know, kinda like Leo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pirate Jet posted:

Room was fantastic and if the Academy really didn't want to give Best Picture to a movie that the demographic of people who unironically watch Oscars for reasons other than poo poo-talking them (those monsters) wouldn't rush out and buy the Blu-Ray for because it's not about white people overcoming social issues with polemic-filled monologues, then that's what they should have given it to.

Spotlight is a good movie. Maybe even a great one. But it's not the best, and if you're not the best, you shouldn't be getting awards that have "best" in the title. Y'know, kinda like Leo.

This guy knows what's up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I love Room but the entire second half just feels like a comedown from the harrowing first half, even in its tensest moments. I'd put it in third behind Fury Road.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, the second half is a comedown. That's the point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, the second half is a comedown. That's the point.

Right but there's such a huge dropoff in momentum and, in my opinion, interesting storytelling that it lost me a little. Obviously it was never going to be as harrowing in the second half, but there was still a lot to mine tension out of and it just didn't quite do it IMO.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

There is no greater injustice in acting categories than Ellen Burstyn's loss to Julia Roberts.

Remember that time Paltrow won best actress for impersonating a high school girl reading Shakespeare for the first time instead of Blanchette's Elizabeth?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Calico Heart posted:

and now a fantasy movie will never be nominate for best picture again

There's lots of movies with heavy fantasical elements that are nominated for Best Picture.

Sure there might not be a movie with Elves that gets the nomination but the only movie of note to have those in the past decade is the Hobbit films.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I always thought the most ridiculous acting Oscar decision was in 1975 a year included Al Pacino in Godfather Pt II, Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, Dustin Hoffman in Lenny and a not even nominated Gene Hackman in The Conversation the winner of best actor was.... Art Carney in Harry & Tonto

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress Leo, Ennio Morricone finally got his Oscar. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ennio gave a much better speech as well. He was getting choked up and that made me feel a little :unsmith:.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

John Williams giving him a friendly pat on the back as he struggled to get up. :unsmith:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Did Tarantino attend? Because I really wanted to see his reaction to Ennio's win.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wait, what the gently caress!? I'm reading The Thing's soundtrack got nominated for a Razzie!? :psyduck:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish they had the orchestra on camera so we could see the exact moment the producer told them time's up and the orchestra kindly telling him to gently caress off because they're not going to play off Morricone.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wish they had the orchestra on camera so we could see the exact moment the producer told them time's up and the orchestra kindly telling him to gently caress off because they're not going to play off Morricone.

For both him and Leo. Cool of them to give the moment

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
HOW DID ACADEMY VOTERS CHOOSE THE ENGLISH PATIENT OVER FARGO? DID THEY NOT KNOW THERE WOULD BE A FARGO TV SHOWS 20 YEARS LATER?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Alec Eiffel posted:

HOW DID ACADEMY VOTERS CHOOSE THE ENGLISH PATIENT OVER FARGO? DID THEY NOT KNOW THERE WOULD BE A FARGO TV SHOWS 20 YEARS LATER?
lol

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is kind of definitely a case of the not best movie winning when there were like 5 movies that were better than Spotlight

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

BTW biopic isn't pronounced like that unless you are a dirty englishman.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/biopic

I've heard the correct american pronunciation all my long life until the last few years when silly people started pronouncing it the english way thinking the word was short for "biographical picture." I think it's because of ignorant millennials, personally.

Also, they aren't hover boards so stop calling them that.

Biopic is a portmanteau of biographical picture. That said it was silly of me to hyphenate what it already a word. i blame it on the late hour and an mind overtaxed by finding different ways to say science fiction film to avoid repetition.

CelticPredator posted:

Why does it have to be Mad Max vs Spotlight?

It should be Room vs Spotlight.

Because Mad Max is one of the best of its genre, which happens to be a very popular type of film that gets little to no attention from the Oscars. It really was the underdog film and giving it BP would have been a legitimate surprise because that's just not the kind of film the Academy rewards.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

AHH FUGH posted:

This is kind of definitely a case of the not best movie winning when there were like 5 movies that were better than Spotlight

Nah, sorry, Spotlight was really great.

I wish Vikander had won for Ex Machina, but I'm happy that The Danish Girl didn't win anything more. What an unsubtle hacky piece of crap.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, what the gently caress!? I'm reading The Thing's soundtrack got nominated for a Razzie!? :psyduck:

Some Razzie picks look real stupid 10-20 years later.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Every year I feel like there's no way the Oscars could be more lame or less surprising, but here you go.

It's not as exciting in recent years as most major winners/nominees have already been sitting on the IMDb 250 for at least a few months.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

loving Costner's worst beat loving Scorsese's best. That is the peak of "what the gently caress were you people thinking?"

Have you seen The Postman (1997)?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Razzies might be the one awards more masturbatory than the Oscars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cacator posted:

The Razzies might be the one awards more masturbatory than the Oscars.

Bag on the Oscars all you like, the Grammies are far worse.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Golden Raspberry for Worst Picture was a tie this year. Looking forward to watching Fantastic Four and Fifty Shades of Grey.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

weekly font posted:

People openly being pissbabies about Fury Road actually makes it not winning completely worth it.

I don't care about Fury Road. Spotlight was a lovely movie though and didn't deserve the win.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I was talking about this today, but if Spotlight wasn't your pick for best picture, be glad that it won, because the academy is wrong about 95 percent of the time, so chances are if you wanted Room, Fury Road or whatever to win, and it did, you made a terrible mistake.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Ennio gave a much better speech as well. He was getting choked up and that made me feel a little :unsmith:.
I think the Hollywood Walk of Fame is kinda bullshit, but I saw that Ennio got his last week which made me feel :unsmith:. That was nice of Harvey and Quentin.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-morricone-star-idUSKCN0W002F

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Some Razzie picks look real stupid 10-20 years later.

the 80s alone have a tonne of these

1980:
Worst Actress - Shelley Duvall, The Shining - Brooke Shields, Blue Lagoon (WINNER)
Worst Director - Stanley Kubrick, The Shining

1981: Worst Picture and Director Heaven's Gate (in fairness it took a LONG time for Heaven's Gate's reputation to be fixed)

1982: The Thing's Score, seriously.

1983: Worst Director - Broian de Palma for Scarface

1984: Worst Song - "Sex Shooter" from Prince's Purple Rain

1985: Worst Picture - Rambo Part II (WINNER), Rocky IV. Worst Actor Sly (WINNER)... actually everything nominating Rocky IV that year. Also notable is them making GBS threads all over Year of the Dragon which is a cult film now.

1986: Worst New Star - Kristin Scott Thomas and Brian Thompson

1987: Worst Supporting Actress - Daryll Hannah for Wall Street (WINNER). Worst New Star - Jim Varney (oh come on guys)

1988: Worst Supporting Actor: Harvey Keitel as Judas in The Last Temptation of Christ (admittedly, it is loving funny Harvey not even attempting an accent). Worst New Star: JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME for Bloodsport

1989: Worst Picture - Road House, Worst Supporting Actor - Pat Morita for The Karate Kid III (ok the movie sucks, but Pat Morita never sucked)

I'm sure the 90s are filled with these too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure the Tangerine Dream score from Thief was nominated.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Lid posted:

Worst New Star: JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME for Bloodsport

1989: Worst Picture - Road House,

Son

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Judakel posted:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is as good as Jaws. Perhaps Barry Lyndon. It has so many character moments.
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, as good as it is, is just good writing and acting from what I remember. On the stage with the same cast and script I'm not convinced it would be worse or different.

Jaws is almost pure cinema (Or at least in the sense of how Hitchcock meant it). What makes the movie so good is how well it uses the medium of film, which you really can't grant to Cuckoo's Nest.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 1, 2016

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Raxivace posted:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, as good as it is, is just good writing and acting from what I remember. On the stage with the same cast and script I'm not convinced it would be worse or different.

Jaws is almost pure cinema (Or at least in the sense of how Hitchcock meant it). What makes the movie so good is how well it uses the medium of film, which you really can't grant to Cuckoo's Nest.

The deleted scenes from Jaws are better than most of the scenes in Cuckoo's Nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfX1MkMazwc

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Armyman25 posted:

The deleted scenes from Jaws are better than most of the scenes in Cuckoo's Nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfX1MkMazwc
I'd never seen that before. Pretty cool little moment.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Purple Monkey posted:

I always thought the most ridiculous acting Oscar decision was in 1975 a year included Al Pacino in Godfather Pt II, Jack Nicholson in Chinatown, Dustin Hoffman in Lenny and a not even nominated Gene Hackman in The Conversation the winner of best actor was.... Art Carney in Harry & Tonto

Yeah, that's the one that always sticks out to me too. It was (as far as I know, it was a while before my time) one of those lifetime achievement/well liked actor going outside of his comfort zone awards that might be enjoyed at the time but look bad historically.

I mean, it wouldn't have been even close to the same degree, but I feel like Stallone getting one this year would have been in vaguely the same category. There's probably a few more examples from recent years.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm glad Mad Max won some things. :unsmith:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"Hey everybody welcome to the 88th Academy Awards where we celebrate our industry and the best of the best art that has been created in this last year. So let's talk about rape now."

I know peeps tend to get preachy at the Oscars, but goddam, is it always that bad?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Wings, the first Best Picture winner is on Netflix. It's a terrific film, even if not quite the artistic work.

And it has this awesome shot halfway into the movie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

GORDON posted:

"Hey everybody welcome to the 88th Academy Awards where we celebrate our industry and the best of the best art that has been created in this last year. So let's talk about rape now."

I know peeps tend to get preachy at the Oscars, but goddam, is it always that bad?

Just like the Academy giving an award to Scorsese for The Departed, the Academy's a few thousand years late on addressing how women are victimized by a cruel society who blames them for the actions of their rapists.

• Locked thread