Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Icedude posted:

Also just got the scene in Pierre's shop with the JojaMart guy. Is there a side quest to throw a brick through that rear end in a top hat's window?

I just got that scene and it bugged my game out so I couldn't interact with anything :(

What's the best way to contact the dev? I've got a laundry list of bugs I've run into, least of all the "torches in your inventory don't provide light when you're carrying them unless you place them and pick them back up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you get Emily at the Winter Feast, they really mean Elliott apparently...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ever since the last patch, I've had the A button randomly stop working every once and a while until I use right-click on my mouse to do stuff. After that, the A button starts working again.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The White Dragon posted:

I just got that scene and it bugged my game out so I couldn't interact with anything :(

What's the best way to contact the dev? I've got a laundry list of bugs I've run into, least of all the "torches in your inventory don't provide light when you're carrying them unless you place them and pick them back up."
Use this form for best bug reporting! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jr93uTjGJWeNmyTY6jfNdb-L1w7Gz4i-aUk-EfRmR6M/viewform

Harmburger posted:

From tree chat earlier, I did some research to figure out the IDEAL tree planting scenario because I'm crazy
There's someone in the game (I think it's on the farming tv show) that states that a tree will grow as long as the 8 squares around it are free. By the looks of your test, "free" means anything that isn't a fully grown tree.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 1, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

inthesto posted:

Those bouncy black fuzz monsters (I think they spawn starting at floor 40 in the mines) drop coal pretty reliably

I hadn't noticed that. I just got to level 45 on my last rainy day. I'll farm those fuckers for a bit.

Thanks!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone know how much the deluxe stuff costs? The wiki removed it and had the wrong quantities anyway. I don't want to run all the way across town for no reason and I don't want to stuff my inventory full of garbage. I know it's 25k and some materials.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

No cat. What are you doing. Move, it's late and i need to sleep :( he won't move haha

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LemonAIDS posted:

No cat. What are you doing. Move, it's late and i need to sleep :( he won't move haha

Can you walk into him from the bottom and push him up or the top and push him down, or are you just boned? lmao

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

LemonAIDS posted:

Much like in real life, you'll just need to move the bed around the cat while taking care not to disturb cat for fear of reprisal.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

This game ate 16 hours of my Sunday...

and another 11 today.

I think I broke the quest to get to level 25 of the desert dungeon.

What I did was I stocked up on as much stone as I could loving carry, then went in with nothing but my sword, my pickax, a stack of food, and as many staircases and stacks of stone as I was able to bring in. I figured I'd go down as quickly as possible to get past the early levels. The slog through 120 levels of the mine was a pain in the rear end, so the plan hinged on avoiding combat and just stairwelling it down to get as many elevators unlocked as possible. I didn't think about the fact that I didn't see an elevator up at the top, I just assumed there would be a magic one or something.

Anyway, made it to about level 42 before I ran out of stairs and stone, so I left the dungeon disappointed.

I went home, slept, woke up and had a letter from Qi saying "hey bro I dare you to go to level 25" and I went "uh, I already made it to level 25."

Then immediately after that was another letter congratulating me on doing it.

But now the quest is stuck in my quest log "make it to level 25 of the butt."

I went back in and fought my way down to 26, then left, but no dice.

Does anything happen or unlock after that quest that I won't be able to access now?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Someone Awful! posted:

Can you walk into him from the bottom and push him up or the top and push him down, or are you just boned? lmao

he was actually in the bed, i couldn't push him out. I left the room and he was in a different part of the house though haha

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Met posted:

I got tired of bouncing around the wiki.

:frogsiren: Villager Gifting Guide

I didn't include each and every single thing villagers dislike. It's only included on the list as a dislike if it conflicts with a universal love/like.

Haley apparently hates Prismatic Shards, for some reason. And Penny seems to hate Rabbit's Foot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Keshik posted:

Haley apparently hates Prismatic Shards, for some reason. And Penny seems to hate Rabbit's Foot.

Anyone can edit the spreadsheet. I've only posted it here.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can you post a picture of the final optimal solution?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Alex has a troubled soul! I can fix him.

Man I want to do all animals. Trying to take my time, build up money. I love that there apparently isn't a time limit on anything. I want to chill.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

HopperUK posted:

Alex has a troubled soul! I can fix him.

Man I want to do all animals. Trying to take my time, build up money. I love that there apparently isn't a time limit on anything. I want to chill.

Animals are actually dramatically more profitable then crops, so that'd probably work out.

I imagine hay would be a concern tho

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Wh... what happened to my weekend?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Oh hey, looks like pines grow during winter. :3:

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

inthesto posted:

If there's one deep flaw with this game, it's that it obviously assumes that you've not just played a Harvest Moon game before, but sunk a lot of hours in multiple ones

That's the only (but seemingly huge) thing keeping me from buying this. I've never played any of the games it's "like," and if I pick this up I'd like to be able to chill and have fun rather than getting frustrated/having to keep my head stuck in a wiki

drat it

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ah cool, don't upgrade your tools during winter or you'll crash randomly when you sleep. lost two days because of this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Oh my god I just got a cutscene with Sebastian and his Cloud Strife haired friend and we got to play a round of totally-not-D&D. I think I did pretty badly though, it said I only got a "C" rating. :(

Clearly I have made the right choice of future husbando.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So how do these saplings work? I'm assuming I need to give saplings 8 tiles on all sides, right? Or is it 4 tiles on each side, which would be much, much more reasonable? After the tree is grown, can I plant things around it? What about grass?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

flesh dance posted:

That's the only (but seemingly huge) thing keeping me from buying this. I've never played any of the games it's "like," and if I pick this up I'd like to be able to chill and have fun rather than getting frustrated/having to keep my head stuck in a wiki

drat it

If you have any friends at all who have played Harvest Moon games, just hang out with them for the first hour or two you're playing Stardew and they'll get your head on straight pretty quick. After you have the bare bone basics (you have to use a hoe to till soil before planting, plants only grow on the days they get water, use this tool to get rid of this thing) the game just sort of works. You're not going to play optimally of course, and if you are a perfectionist you're probably going to restart a couple of times once you get the hang of particulars, but that's true even if you've played a dozen HM games.

The White Dragon posted:

So how do these saplings work? I'm assuming I need to give saplings 8 tiles on all sides, right? Or is it 4 tiles on each side, which would be much, much more reasonable? After the tree is grown, can I plant things around it? What about grass?
By 8 tiles on all sides it means the 8 tiles adjoining the sapling. This only applies for fruit trees, though, pure arboreal trees like oaks and maples do not give a poo poo and will grow regardless. For orchards, the optimal planting would be alternating sapling-empty space-sapling-empty space in a grid. Probably go ahead and just till the space around it even though it doesn't require it because it will discourage weeds and poo poo from growing there.

After the tree grows you'll want to keep things away from the 8 tiles adjoining because that's where fruit will spawn.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 1, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does the silo automatically dump food in the chicken coop or something? I bought hay for the day I didn't have a silo, dropped it in the feeding trough, and then the next morning I cut down some grass to make sure my silo worked, and then I went into the coop and the hay was still there. Or do baby chickens not need to be fed?

Also, does taking animals outside make a difference? Please tell me it doesn't, because trying to shove cows back into the barn when it's raining was the worst part of HM games by far.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

LemonAIDS posted:

he was actually in the bed, i couldn't push him out. I left the room and he was in a different part of the house though haha

I've seen this come up a couple of times, and I just had my cat blocking my TV. If you keep walking into it for a bit you'll step onto it's tile and be able to move through it, at least that's how I got to watch my farming show.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

It's the 8 tiles directly touching it - like the same area the second sprinkler waters.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

inthesto posted:

Also, does taking animals outside make a difference? Please tell me it doesn't, because trying to shove cows back into the barn when it's raining was the worst part of HM games by far.
Outside animals are happier but animals find their way back into their sleeping area at night if you let them out, and will simply refuse to come out when it's raining.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Is it possible to remove fences? Want to replace my wood with stone

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where the fack is Harvey?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shirec posted:

Chop them with your pickaxe.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Where the fack is Harvey?

Harvey is the doctor, right? He's always in the clinic.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

The White Dragon posted:

Chop them with your pickaxe.

Harvey is the doctor, right? He's probably in the clinic :v:

I actually was trying that, no dice. But then I got frustrated and tried everything and the axe works which is kind of obvious so that's embarrassing

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Shirec posted:

Same way you remove most placed items: give 'em a good whack with the pickaxe.
e: Or you can just wait. I feel like the stone fences deteriorate hilariously quickly, so I can only imagine how quickly wood vanishes.

( Stone fences seemed to last for like 1.5-2 seasons? Almost all my fences are gone now, towards the end of winter. )

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

flesh dance posted:

drat it

This really isn't a frustrating game. You can play it however you want.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How do you get a stack of hay for the community center. When I pull it out of the coop thing it just gives me 4, or 1 and then puts it back.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm assuming it's a good idea to buy a chicken coop as soon as I can afford it, right? I'm only near the end of my first Spring and haven't been farming as well as I could be.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

How do you get a stack of hay for the community center. When I pull it out of the coop thing it just gives me 4, or 1 and then puts it back.

keep pulling out more with the hay not on your cursor

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm assuming it's a good idea to buy a chicken coop as soon as I can afford it, right? I'm only near the end of my first Spring and haven't been farming as well as I could be.

get a silo first, otherwise you won't have anywhere to store your chicken food which is kinda important!!!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can you post a picture of the final optimal solution?

For some reason two in the middle decide to be fickle and not grow. Trees grow at weird rates, but that's the final result.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Someone Awful! posted:

get a silo first, otherwise you won't have anywhere to store your chicken food which is kinda important!!!
Oh yeah, I have a pretty full silo already. I just figure I need to start getting into animals since I haven't been making a lot of cash with my lovely farming skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoe posted:

drat IT.

Just got around to looking up what a recycler does. All this time I've been putting all my trash in the trash. :negative:

For what it's worth you get like, 3 torches, 1 coal, and occasionally a refined Quartz at best for scrap.