Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Icedude posted:

Well I feel like an idiot.

I guess I hit the wrong number key when filling my preservers :cripes:

I can only imagine the taste. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Malek posted:

How do you restore the community center?

Do I need that Joja membership? Cause I was trying to not give them any money and run them out of town.

buying the joja thing makes them tear it down and build a warehouse. to start on the community center you gotta wait a couple days and trigger the event where the mayor is looking at it and things will get rolling from there

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

DaveKap posted:

if you are sick of purple pod person Abigail or ultra-fabio Elliot,

:chloe:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Why not go whole hog? I'm gonna swap Abigail with Emily.
But seriously there's some nice little tweaky mods available. I'm thinking I'll make the black cat swap.
http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-list-modding-guides-and-general-modding-discussion.106868/

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just found a sword. Do I use

Steel Shortsword
4-8 Damage
+2 Speed

or

Wind Spire
1-5 Damage
+10 Crit Power
+5 Weight (??)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

kurona_bright posted:

Hm, not sure if this is going to be useful this late, but I made a version of Harvey with the mustache extended into a full beard. I know there's already another bearded Harvey floating around out there, but that one's beard is a lot thicker. (I actually made this the night Stardew came out, I just haven't thought about sharing it until now. :v:)
I've also included overworld sprites, but they're not shown here.

Link here. The file directory and formats should be already set, so you should just be able to unzip them into the game's main directory.

Added to the chucklefish forum post. Does anyone want a megapost about modding for those who can't be assed to go over there? I don't want to be annoying about it; I'm just really excited.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

Added to the chucklefish forum post. Does anyone want a megapost about modding for those who can't be assed to go over there? I don't want to be annoying about it; I'm just really excited.
Ditto on the excitement but unless there's gonna be a goon-centric modding community, I don't see why we can't just do it all on their turf.

Okay I just saw the "make Pam hot" mod and yeah, maybe we should just keep it here.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Why not go whole hog? I'm gonna swap Abigail with Emily.
But seriously there's some nice little tweaky mods available. I'm thinking I'll make the black cat swap.
http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-list-modding-guides-and-general-modding-discussion.106868/

I think that face swap mod would be a hell of a lot more jarring than anything else, considering that everyone else would still look the same. Having two clashing artstyles in my game at the same time ain't my definition of fun.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can only imagine the taste. :barf:

I would rather not.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm torn on whether or not I like those old portraits better. The older ones look far more generic, but the more stylized versions of the new portraits does some of the characters a disservice (namel Abigail and Harvey).

Leah, Maru, and Sebastian all definitely look better with the new portraits though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

inthesto posted:

I'm torn on whether or not I like those old portraits better. The older ones look far more generic, but the more stylized versions of the new portraits does some of the characters a disservice (namel Abigail and Harvey).

Leah, Maru, and Sebastian all definitely look better with the new portraits though.

The mod is modular (heh) though. You can install only the character files you want.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What does right clicking with the sword do, is it a block? It puts a red timer thing on it and the scythe

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What does right clicking with the sword do, is it a block? It puts a red timer thing on it and the scythe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the people who think abigail's old portrait is better are fuckin crazy

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

It's a parry. If a monster hits you when doing it then you take no damage and the monster takes some.

PS here is my mine tip that I found out today. On some levels in the mind there are minecart rails and at the end of the rail there's an abandoned mine cart with some coal loaded up that you can take.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

dmboogie posted:

I think that face swap mod would be a hell of a lot more jarring than anything else, considering that everyone else would still look the same. Having two clashing artstyles in my game at the same time ain't my definition of fun.
Oh you can very easily just swap 1 person, it's not an all or nothing proposition.
And Abigail's old portrait is better only in that the coloring isn't hosed. Someone's actually made a re-color of her and that looks way better.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Where is the best place to fish in the first few days, to maximize your income?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Yeah, now that I look at them side by side, the new portraits are an improvement across the board with the exception of Harvey (come on, nobody wears moustaches like that anymore) and Abigail (I think it's a coloring thing in her case)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zerilan posted:

Replace type="Cat" with type="Dog" (case sensitive) or vice versa in the save file to change pets.

I tried this and it still lists a dog picture in my start menu. Is there a way to fix that?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So am I just really unlucky or something? I've waited all spring for a sunflower to complete the Spring Set and I haven't even seen one.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

The mod is modular (heh) though. You can install only the character files you want.

Oh cool, that's good to know. I really like Abigail as a character but her in-game portrait is somehow a little offputting to me.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

So am I just really unlucky or something? I've waited all spring for a sunflower to complete the Spring Set and I haven't even seen one.

Sunflowers are grown as a crop in Fall. Are you thinking of cauliflower or daffodil/dandelion?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did someone forget a 0 here perhaps?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what should I be keeping and what is it alright to sell, crop/forage wise? i heard that coral/etc from the beach are great gifts but man that money would be nice early game to get some not poo poo tools and the backpack upgrades. same with crops, is it enough to keep 2-3 of everything in the box or do i need large quantities of spring veggies for winter recipes or something like that

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

This is the last one I'm missing for Introductions

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

That's Emily. She's either at home (second house from the left in the lower left part of the village), or she's working at the bar (6pm onwards).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Emily. She lives in the same house as Haley.

Pastebin of her schedule: http://pastebin.com/W0kPAThX

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Countblanc posted:

what should I be keeping and what is it alright to sell, crop/forage wise? i heard that coral/etc from the beach are great gifts but man that money would be nice early game to get some not poo poo tools and the backpack upgrades. same with crops, is it enough to keep 2-3 of everything in the box or do i need large quantities of spring veggies for winter recipes or something like that

Hang onto one of each of the four forage items you can find for each season. You can turn those in to the community center for rewards. Otherwise, just go nuts selling poo poo. Those backpack upgrades are absolutely invaluable.

You can most easily find her on Tuesdays in the back room of the general store with the rest of the workout cult.

ETA: Or, yeah, the bar at nights.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ulvirich posted:

Sunflowers are grown as a crop in Fall. Are you thinking of cauliflower or daffodil/dandelion?

One of those, the yellow wildflower. I have the one that looks like two small puffballs.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

What's the optimal number of preservers? I just unlocked it and I have two stacks of fruit waiting.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

That's a pretty big list all well and told.

You'll want to examine the bundle requirements here.

And villager gift options here.

For gifting: I would hold onto all gems for gifting (Emily and Clint love them, amethysts to Abigal and diamonds are a great gift to several villagers). Parsnips (Pam), Tulips (Evelyn) and strawberries (Maru & Demetrius) are great gifts for the named. With regards to foraging, only leeks stand out as a great gift to George, wild Horseradish is a great gift to a NPC you likely won't get in spring, and the other options available are good gifts for the npcs that like them.

With regards to coral, the only use I've seen for them is making a beach teleport totem which requires two pieces. I used one urchin for the bundle and I've been dumping coral and urchins in the box or selling to Willy as I get them.

Edit2: And for crissakes if you get a rainbow shell, HOLD ONTO IT until you get the quest that requires one!

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 2, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Shirec posted:

What's the optimal number of preservers? I just unlocked it and I have two stacks of fruit waiting.

If you're wanting to gift pickles to Harvey, one preserver needs to be dedicated to making pickled veggies. Add another and you can finish his weekly gifting in two days instead of most of the week. Everything else is profit if you so choose.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

What actually gives farming XP?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Diogines posted:

Where is the best place to fish in the first few days, to maximize your income?

There's really no reason to min/max, honestly. Everywhere is fine except the ponds on your plot. Go walk around, explore, fish. You wanted to get out of the crappy min/max lifestyle, thats why you moved to gramps farm.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Also whoever suggested using Cherry Bombs in the mine, thank you for saving me like twenty minutes of clearing out this massive room to find the one stairs tile.

e: Just went to the Flower Festival, I can just buy a daffodil. That's a generous thing to do for the player!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 2, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

One of those, the yellow wildflower. I have the one that looks like two small puffballs.

Assuming you mean: http://stardewvalleywiki.com/File:Daffodil.png
Daffodils spawn in town, at the bus stop (also check the screen to the left of the bus stop), and I want to say in the Wizard/Rancher screen but not 100% on that.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
if you're having bad luck with spring flowers, you can buy them at the flower festival as well

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just figured out how to read the books in the museum by accident. Jesus christ that is unintuitive. There isn't even anything to tell you they are there, it's just an empty counter.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I liked the fishing story, but most of the books in the library don't seem overly informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Cygni posted:

There's really no reason to min/max, honestly. Everywhere is fine except the ponds on your plot. Go walk around, explore, fish. You wanted to get out of the crappy min/max lifestyle, thats why you moved to gramps farm.
Maybe that is why YOU did! My farmer is fleeing a warrant, thank you very much!

Yeah okay fine heh, but a few more questions (I loves me some fishing):

1. Does the distance you cast from shore matter, if there are no bubbles?
2. Does a "perfect" have any effect? Does it increase the odds of better fish?
3. Do "streaks" matter?
4. Is the quality of fish mainly determine by your luck for the day?