Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Diogines posted:

Yeah okay fine heh, but a few more questions (I loves me some fishing):

1. Does the distance you cast from shore matter, if there are no bubbles?
2. Does a "perfect" have any effect? Does it increase the odds of better fish?
3. Do "streaks" matter?
4. Is the quality of fish mainly determine by your luck for the day?

Yes, yes*, not sure what this is, I don't know - I've only noticed this with treasure chests spawning.

* - With the fair minigame, getting perfects on your catches gets you a multiplier tacked on your score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

inthesto posted:

Wait, I thought letting them outside to feed on grass by themselves replaced the hay feeding

Yes, this is how it works. Hay is what you using during winter or when the weather isn't great. You still need to interact with all your animals though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wtf did I just pull out a mini-harp out of no where wtf, me!

Diogines posted:

Maybe that is why YOU did! My farmer is fleeing a warrant, thank you very much!

Yeah okay fine heh, but a few more questions (I loves me some fishing):

1. Does the distance you cast from shore matter, if there are no bubbles?
2. Does a "perfect" have any effect? Does it increase the odds of better fish?
3. Do "streaks" matter?
4. Is the quality of fish mainly determine by your luck for the day?

To be honest, no one knows.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This is kind of a spoilery question. It involves the final step of the quest chain you start in the dark bus tunnel.

The quest step says to give the sand dragon its last meal. I found what I assume is the sand dragon in the desert. The flavor text seems to infer that it is trying to eat the sun. I can only assume I'm meant to feed it a sunflower?

This quest chain is not particularly good.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

This is kind of a spoilery question. It involves the final step of the quest chain you start in the dark bus tunnel.

The other sun themed item I can think of is a solar essence from the mines.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DoubleNegative posted:

The quest step says to give the sand dragon its last meal. I found what I assume is the sand dragon in the desert. The flavor text seems to infer that it is trying to eat the sun. I can only assume I'm meant to feed it a sunflower?

This quest chain is not particularly good.

Care to spoil the other stuff you need so I don't have to wait 3/4 of a year to proceed next time?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Man, this game just does not want me to catch a catfish.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Care to spoil the other stuff you need so I don't have to wait 3/4 of a year to proceed next time?

I haven't done too much progress on it myself, it starts with a battery then a rainbow shell. I haven't gotten a shell as of yet so I'm stuck there for the time being.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ulvirich posted:

I haven't done too much progress on it myself, it starts with a battery then a rainbow shell. I haven't gotten a shell as of yet so I'm stuck there for the time being.

Yeah, I got stuck at the Rainbow Shell as well. Apparently you can only find that during the summer, and I found the quest early fall.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Ulvirich posted:

The other sun themed item I can think of is a solar essence from the mines.

That did it! Can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.

Broken Cog posted:

You need a Battery, a Rainbow Shell, 10 Beets, and a Solar Essence.

The beet seeds are sold by the vendor in the desert, and only grow in Fall.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Does snow count as 'rain'? It hasn't rained since early fall in my game and I need the pendant dude to show up.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can I just keep the coop door open 24/7 or will my chickens run off or die of exposure or something

And do I need a heater in there?

Also the chargeup time for the upgraded 1x3 or whatever tools makes them practically more annoying to do than just going tile by tile. If it was instant and inherent that they do more per click it would be worth something. Does the watering can use 3x the water per charge or are you using 1 tiles worth of water for each 3 you charge down?

Also also no scythe upgrade?

Also also also how the hell do I grow trees? I finally figured out that to plant them you do it on untilled soil to stop getting the "wrong season" message. I think I'm leaving way too much room between them but whatever. Do pathways (gravel, cobblestone, wood) count as taking up a tile? I want to have walkways all inbetween them but I don't know if they will grow with paths on the adjacent tiles. Do I need to water them?

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 2, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I am laughing at the people who are wondering who is stealing from you when you pass out. It will become quite obvious as you continue to play and explore.

Also, tiller and agriculturalist together are broken as poo poo. I'm only utilizing 1/3rd of the farm and by spring 2 I brought in 200k and for summer 2 I'm going to be bringing in about 500-600k. The 35% reduction in crop growth with deluxe growth fertilizer + 10% price increase = stupid profit when you farm in bulk. All you have to do is set up a bunch of sprinklers and you can just churn out 1000+ plants every 2-6 days and only need to spend the first day of the season tilling. The harvest/planting only takes you until 9 to complete, and can be done sooner if you drink some coffee before doing it.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 2, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Fish Exploit Discovered! Near-Timeless Fishing!

1. Cast Line
2. Click Quest Menu [ ! ]
3. Wait. . .
4. Hear Caught Fish Noise, Click off Menu
5. Play Fishing Minigame
6. Repeat

Doing this makes it so you're only out of a pause clock for 3-7 seconds. You can get about 8-10 catches an hour, double to triple what you would normally get. This also means bait is useless because you don't have to worry about fish taking forever to find the hook.

Now I feel bad for discovering it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Can I just keep the coop door open 24/7 or will my chickens run off or die of exposure or something

And do I need a heater in there?

Also also no scythe upgrade?

You can keep the coop door open 24/7, I would, however, make a pen to keep the chickies corralled because you need to right click them for attention. Otherwise, no they can be free range.

You don't have to have a heater, however it'll keep them happy in winter.

No scythe upgrade.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

Fish Exploit Discovered! Near-Timeless Fishing!

1. Cast Line
2. Click Quest Menu [ ! ]
3. Wait. . .
4. Hear Caught Fish Noise, Click off Menu
5. Play Fishing Minigame
6. Repeat

Doing this makes it so you're only out of a pause clock for 3-7 seconds. You can get about 8-10 catches an hour, double to triple what you would normally get. This also means bait is useless because you don't have to worry about fish taking forever to find the hook.

Now I feel bad for discovering it.

Can confirm this. You have to click the quest menu though, pressing the key on a gamepad doesn't work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Is there a list of these for everyone (or at least for Maru)?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think the people who think abigail's old portrait is better are fuckin crazy

Mm hm, her new portrait has a lot more character to it. I prefer Maru's old portrait, though. Her current one just doesn't do anything for me.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Is it just me or are sprinklers way too cheap to make. I've been saving my quartz and have like 120 or so and i could spend half a days harvest on ores and make like 20 of the second sprinklers

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

NO I AM NOT JOKING, PLEASE DATE ME :qq:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I dunno about free range chickens, I made a habit of closing the door at night and I noticed that EVERY TIME i forgot to close it or was running late and didn't have time, there would only be 1-2 eggs instead of 4.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Met posted:

I tried this and it still lists a dog picture in my start menu. Is there a way to fix that?

find the catperson flag and set it to true.

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth
Just got bugged at the Stardew Valley Fair by getting stuck inside an npc and losing all of my fair progress, so there's that. Love this game so far though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsmCWvDK_M

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nollek posted:

Just got bugged at the Stardew Valley Fair by getting stuck inside an npc and losing all of my fair progress, so there's that. Love this game so far though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsmCWvDK_M

that happened to me and all i did was play the game again which dumped me out in a random spot

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

God ale is so good. I'm really glad i invested in all these kegs and so heavily into hops in the summer. My 10 kegs are pumping out 6000 a day. I REALLY hope the level 10 farming +50% artisan goods price works on ale haha

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

---

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Well I can't decide if I should go with Fisher or Trapper. Fisher (and then to +50%) at Level 10 seems strictly better but I haven't used crab traps or anything yet so maybe they yield good money?

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth

Johnny Joestar posted:

that happened to me and all i did was play the game again which dumped me out in a random spot

Guess I should have tried to play the game again, I just assumed that it was out of range. Oh well.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Zodack posted:

Well I can't decide if I should go with Fisher or Trapper. Fisher (and then to +50%) at Level 10 seems strictly better but I haven't used crab traps or anything yet so maybe they yield good money?

Crab pots I use mostly to get lobster for Elliot and stocking my fridge with (shell)fish. They're not a good source of money, especially compared to straight up fishing.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
So I have level 8 fishing and when I mouse over the level 5 fishing profession bar I don't have anything pop up there am I screwed from getting any fishing professions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
:geno:

:what:

:ughh:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

That Guy Bob posted:

So I have level 8 fishing and when I mouse over the level 5 fishing profession bar I don't have anything pop up there am I screwed from getting any fishing professions?

You can just manually edit your save file to add it in yourself I guess

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
If I upgrade a tool, is it two days from the day I upgrade it (so, the day I hand it to him plus the next one) or is it two days after that day (a total of three)? This is important because it's raining in the summer and maybe this time I won't gently caress up upgrading my watering can

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zodack posted:

If I upgrade a tool, is it two days from the day I upgrade it (so, the day I hand it to him plus the next one) or is it two days after that day (a total of three)? This is important because it's raining in the summer and maybe this time I won't gently caress up upgrading my watering can

Check the weather, if it's going to rain tomorrow, then finish watering your plants today, go upgrade it. In two days, or the day after it will rain, you will have your can back.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Zodack posted:

Day you give it plus next day it will be unavaiable.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't think it will matter if you miss a day or two watering anyway

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Alaan posted:

Day you give it plus next day it will be unavaiable.

Okay, that's what I was hoping for - it's raining today and sunny tomorrow

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't think it will matter if you miss a day or two watering anyway

Yeah I just harvested a bunch of melons but I don't want my blueberries to gently caress off and die after 13 days of watering

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ahahahahahahahahaha I love that the meteorite seems so broken.

It only crushed my tomatoes!

In news from my farm, I think the dog can't walk through a one-square gap because I think I've trapped it behind my kegs. I might have to move one. I'm realizing from what y'all are posting that my farm is super unoptimized and with the mine cleared* and the remaining fish I need for bundles stuck in different seasons/weather/areas, I might spend more time now expanding it and laying it out better. I may go for Barn or Super Coop but I think I need a better grass solution for cows/sheep, and I don't want to have to be buying hay from the super inconsistent Marnie all the time.

*though I saw a post on Reddit suggesting there are secret floors past 120 if you use a Mega Bomb on the final chest, haven't checked that yet

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Chantilly Say posted:

*though I saw a post on Reddit suggesting there are secret floors past 120 if you use a Mega Bomb on the final chest, haven't checked that yet

You'd have to not ever open it. Here's what happens if you just light one in the chamber though: http://imgur.com/a/r62Sl nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The "no trash loot" perk doesn't appear to be working for me. I have around 20 pots setup in the river and I'm still getting junk all of the time. Which is fine. I don't really mind that much, because it is giving me a surplus of quartz, but I was hoping for an excess of lil shellfish dudes instead.