Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

how me a frog posted:

By pet you mean "sell" right? Who the hell has time for that, can't be chasing the fuckers across the entire map just cause someone came up with the genius idea that fences should explode the day after you put them down, lol. I got slimes to slice and ladies to romance.

They go inside the barn and coops around 6pm just close the doors. Then in the morning go inside do your petting and milking, leave and open the doors again. Or upgrade to the steel? axe and chop down the log to the west of the screen to the south and collect hardwood and make hardwood fences. I made my fences at the beginning of winter and now nearly into fall year 2 and they show no signs of degrading.

Tarezax posted:

One thing I'd like added is a screen for your animal status, like the social tab. I think Friends of Mineral Town had this.

Seconding this. Also would be nice if trees were always semi transparent without having to walk behind them.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I care 0% about any "progression curve" and I'm not playing this for a challenge/"game experience" so slowing the time down a bit suits me perfectly v:v:v At 10 sec instead of 7 sec it becomes just a liiiitle bit more sandboxy and that makes it all the better to chill out with.

e: people have misunderstood me before, those are not "scare quotes" I just tend to use quotation marks a lot.

PirateDentist posted:

Catfish

6am-12am in a river during the rain.

I posted earlier about my woes catching it during Winter (aka. never seeing it) but come spring, during the first rain I finally caught it. They do exist, yay!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Magres posted:

It's a weird pseudo-circle, but yeah it's basically 8 in every direction.
Welp, least I won't need any more scarecrows.

Ever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This game owns really hard

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

This game owns really hard

A good review, we should publish it.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

There's no ending to the stardew fair other than you just walking out right?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Someone Awful! posted:

So is it impossible to get married in the winter? I'm guessing snow doesn't count the same as rain to make the marriage necklace guy show up. :(

You can get married in winter, but you have to have bought the necklace in one of the other months. I bought the necklace Fall 24 and gave it to Abby on Winter 1.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can someone spoil what does/does not happen when you complete the community building

there is no way I'm getting it all done in 2 years

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Ever.

Okay but what about the rarecrows.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Eonwe posted:

can someone spoil what does/does not happen when you complete the community building

there is no way I'm getting it all done in 2 years

The game doesn't end after 2 years I'm pretty sure. I think it's just some random score thing and then you just keep playing.

Silentplanet
Oct 14, 2012

Paid for a Joja membership on a new play through and now I don't have to do the quality crops bundle. I am pretty happy about this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xtanstic posted:

The game doesn't end after 2 years I'm pretty sure. I think it's just some random score thing and then you just keep playing.

oh I know, I didn't know if it affected your score or if it told you how you did with the town

does the community center every 'do' anything or is it just a 'good job you completed it!'

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

DurosKlav posted:

They go inside the barn and coops around 6pm just close the doors. Then in the morning go inside do your petting and milking, leave and open the doors again. Or upgrade to the steel? axe and chop down the log to the west of the screen to the south and collect hardwood and make hardwood fences. I made my fences at the beginning of winter and now nearly into fall year 2 and they show no signs of degrading.

Yeah but my entire point was farming starts out as a chore and then farming is actually plant things on one day, do literally nothign at all for a week or so, then harvest once for mad dosh. Animals just seem poo poo considering how little they give you relatively to the effort you spend (I am in spring of the second year and have about 15 quality sprinklers and the same amount again in normal ones, that's a lot of no work farming).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

how me a frog posted:

Yeah but my entire point was farming starts out as a chore and then farming is actually plant things on one day, do literally nothign at all for a week or so, then harvest once for mad dosh. Animals just seem poo poo considering how little they give you relatively to the effort you spend (I am in spring of the second year and have about 15 quality sprinklers and the same amount again in normal ones, that's a lot of no work farming).

Artisan goods make animals extremely consistent over time, and you can keep them going throughout the winter with barely a dip in efficiency

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Still loving this, a few questions.

1.) How does Grass/Hay work? I want to start being a mostly livestock farm with random sprinkler crops. In HM64 you planted grass seeds, didn't need to water them, and they just slowly grew forever, even persisting through winter. I feel like I planted a bunch of grass in summer, then chopped it and it's just...gone? There's no way that's how it works, it's so expensive and slow.

2.) So do sprinklers just water every day without fail? I haven't made any, just got them as some reward, but I'm going to maker a bunch. Do the Iron Sprinklers water in a grid like this:

XXX
XSX
XXX

3.) So when I get cows/sheep, they'll just automatically come out and graze everyday until 6, then go back in? In HM64 you had to manually push their asses in and out of the barn, which was terrible.

4.) The fishing mini-game sucks. Fishing sucks. This one isn't really a question.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Impermanent posted:

Artisan goods make animals extremely consistent over time, and you can keep them going throughout the winter with barely a dip in efficiency

What are those? I feel like the game explains none of what you're meant to be doing. I figure I'll find out eventually so I'm doing what works, and animals do not work for me vOv

edit:

Case in point, I just woke up to the message that the spreading weeds have caused damaged to my farm. I go outside to find a branch has apparenly fallen from space and smashed a plot of land. There are no fences, trees or anything at all nearby. Why did this happen? Could I have prevented it? :iiam:

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 3, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bad Seafood posted:

Ever.

Could you post a screenshot of your scarecrow army?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

how me a frog posted:

What are those? I feel like the game explains none of what you're meant to be doing. I figure I'll find out eventually so I'm doing what works, and animals do not work for me vOv

Mayo makers and cheese makers. Eggs and milk go in mayo and cheese comes out and sells for a lot.

Like my daily routine is leave the house, walk into coop pet chickens, pick up eggs leave, go into barn, milk and pet cows, leave and open the barn and coop doors, run by my 6 mayo and 6 cheese machines place the items in. I'm done by 7am usually. Leaves the rest of the day for whatever, and at night before I run into the house I pick up the mayo and cheese throw it into the bin, close the barn and coop doors and go to bed.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

1.) How does Grass/Hay work? I want to start being a mostly livestock farm with random sprinkler crops. In HM64 you planted grass seeds, didn't need to water them, and they just slowly grew forever, even persisting through winter. I feel like I planted a bunch of grass in summer, then chopped it and it's just...gone? There's no way that's how it works, it's so expensive and slow.

2.) So do sprinklers just water every day without fail? I haven't made any, just got them as some reward, but I'm going to maker a bunch. Do the Iron Sprinklers water in a grid like this:

XXX
XSX
XXX

3.) So when I get cows/sheep, they'll just automatically come out and graze everyday until 6, then go back in? In HM64 you had to manually push their asses in and out of the barn, which was terrible.

4.) The fishing mini-game sucks. Fishing sucks. This one isn't really a question.

1) Works pretty much the same you dont even have to really plant grass it just occurs naturally on your farm. Though you will probably have to buy some starter grass for your animal pen.

2) Yes and Yes

3) Yup as long as the barn/coop doors are open.

4) Fishing is good!

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
You can tend to your animals+check 20 crab pots+harvest some wood/hard wood+put all that stuff into proper artisan processing/chests by 10am. Without the crab pots by 8am. And I am talking 36 animals here.

My planting strategy is just to do pretty much nothing except hoe+fertilize+plant for the first 3 days of a month (however long it takes to use 1000-1200 seeds). I still pet the animals but sometimes I don't even milk the cows on these days. You also need to count your sprinklers and make sure you have enough seeds because the shop isn't open on wednesday. I have 158ish tier2 sprinklers right now and I crafted most during the first winter. Admittedly if I had played smarter in spring/summer/fall I'd have had a lot of them for fall. A few tier1 for odd jobs like flowers near bee hives, and I have a few iridium sprinklers that I purchased after I had 100k+ sitting around while constantly building stuff and with a full field planted. But, my green house won't finish until my fall year 2 harvest because I'm a big idiot so I don't have a million ancient fruits planted.

Year 3 I plan on planting pretty much nothing except food and gift items. Then I'll just coasting on that green house/animal/fruit tree (1 of each just because) money.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 3, 2016

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Tequila Sunrise posted:

XXX
XSX
XXX

don't harvest all your grass it spreads naturally

yes they do

dunno

fishing is actually really good and fun, keep practicing. level ups and better rods and tackle all help and make it easy to get perfect fish except for a bunch of the super hard ones

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

DurosKlav posted:

Mayo makers and cheese makers. Eggs and milk go in mayo and cheese comes out and sells for a lot. Like my daily routine is leave the house, walk into coop pet chickens, pick up eggs leave, go into barn, milk and pet cows, leave and open the barn and coop doors, run by my 6 mayo and 6 cheese machines place the items in. I'm done by 7am usually.

I was pretty undwerwhelmed by cheese and mayo. Maybe it's because I was selling them in small batches at at time versus 50 pumpkins at once. I'll give it another shot in a year or so when I buy animals again.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Khorne posted:

You can tend to your animals+check 20 crab pots+harvest some wood/hard wood+put all that stuff into proper artisan processing/chests by 10am. Without the crab pots by 8am. And I am talking 36 animals here.

My planting strategy is just to do pretty much nothing except hoe+fertilize+plant for the first 3 days of a month (however long it takes to use 1000-1200 seeds). I still pet the animals but sometimes I don't even milk the cows on these days. You also need to count your sprinklers and make sure you have enough seeds because the shop isn't open on wednesday. I have 158ish tier2 sprinklers right now and I crafted most during the first winter. Admittedly if I had played smarter in spring/summer/fall I'd have had a lot of them for fall. A few tier1 for odd jobs like flowers near bee hives, and I have a few iridium sprinklers that I purchased after I had 100k+ sitting around while constantly building stuff and with a full field planted. But, my green house won't finish until my fall year 2 harvest because I'm a big idiot so I don't have a million ancient fruits planted.

Year 3 I plan on planting pretty much nothing except food and gift items. Then I'll just coasting on that green house/animal/fruit tree (1 of each just because) money.

Green house is annoying. I'm sure a min maxer can make better use but just from some quick tinkering I couldnt figure out a way to fully use all the land inside it.
:argh:

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 3, 2016

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I basically just shut my barn/coop doors once the animals go to sleep so I can just pet them all in the morning.

I guess I'm not really feeling the pressure. I'm halfway into first fall, I've got 2 chickens, the first upgrade to my house, only really grow crops in the corner immediately around my house. I keep my two chickens in a coop/pasture south of the tiny pond, and in the northwest corner I've got 6 tapped trees and some grass.

Also back in spring my first upgraded tool was the axe and I did a sweep of the farm just clearing rocks, stumps and shrubs, which appears to have caused the entire southwest of my farm to turn into a solid mass of trees with saplings filling in the spaces between proper trees.

I only just hit level 40 in the mine and I only have like one sprinkler up. My only regret is not getting iron sooner for bee houses. I bought enough iron ore from Clint for a recycling machine, though. Those 3 crab pots the spirits gave me for one of the bundles do spit out a fair bit of trash :v:

My biggest complaint about the SNES Harvest Moon was always that it just ended, here, I can just bumble around at my own pace to my heart's content. So relaxing :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

busb posted:

fishing is actually really good and fun, keep practicing. level ups and better rods and tackle all help and make it easy to get perfect fish except for a bunch of the super hard ones

Yeah, once I got the second-tier rod and went to the pier past the broken bridge, I suddenly started rolling in money. 2800-ish gold just the last day (Y1 Summer 10). Ten gold-star Red Mullets. :vince:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Your Computer posted:

I just started my second year and other than LARGE SCALE INDUSTRIAL FARMING I plan to try my hand at animal husbandry. I already have a coop and a silo, but the posts here make it seem like animals eat unsustainable amounts of food. Is there a list or a chart or something out there than I can refer to? For those of you making walled off areas for your animals, got any pictures of the logistics?

The animals in this game are way cute and I also need things like eggs and milk to fuel my restaurant business.

Petting them improves output, yeah.

Once you hit Farming 10, animals become sustainable sources of income even if you buy 100% of your feed from Marnie (when she's doing her goddamn job :argh:). Just turn all your eggs into mayonnaise and all your milk into cheese.

The Special Chicken is a ripoff, tragically. I'm still raising two, but you can't make anything from the eggs to improve yield.

A couple rabbits for wool and, presumably, feet are worthwhile too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

how me a frog posted:

I was pretty undwerwhelmed by cheese and mayo. Maybe it's because I was selling them in small batches at at time versus 50 pumpkins at once. I'll give it another shot in a year or so when I buy animals again.

Keep in mind Mayo is about a guaranteed 100 gold at day minimum per chicken, and happy chickens give large eggs which make better mayo.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The slime hutch seems like a terrible building and a worse investment. Having a horde of slimes kick the poo poo out of me every morning in exchange for some of their goop isn't a great deal unless I'm missing a hidden function of the place.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DurosKlav posted:

Green house is annoying. I'm sure a min maxer can make better use but just from some quick tinkering I couldnt figure out a way to fully use all the land inside it.
Following money amounts assume you have +50% artisan and are making wine:

If crops never expire and fertilizer works on ancient seeds during the 8 day regrowth period (cutting it to 6) and fertilizer doesn't expire in the greenhouse between seasons: They are the best to fill it with.
If crops never expire and fertilizer doesn't work on ancient seeds: A combination of hops+ancient seeds is technically the best. But hops are annoying and a daily thing while ancient fruit is either 6 days or 8 days depending on whether the speed-gro works on it or not.

Hops are 450g/day/tile and ancients are like 560/day/tile if fertilizer works 422/day/tile if not. The only other thing that comes close is the rare seed. They are 750/day/tile with the tier2 speed-gro but you can't replenish the seeds without cutting into profits. At 3 per fruit (66% yield) they are 500g/day with the longest replant which is ideal. But I don't know if you can force 3 per fruit with luck or farming or whatever food. No idea. At 50% yield they're 375/day and not worth it.

I'd personally just put the deluxe speed-gro and put ancient seeds down. It's guaranteed to not suck even if the speed-gro doesn't work. Then you make it into wine and it's money money money. If you don't have +50% artisan you lose lots of money.

edit: To get enough ancient seeds you just shove the fruit in the seed machine. It's very much a delayed thing, but once it's online you should be rolling in the dough. Cranberries/Blueberries are 216/day (288) and 270/day (360) respectively if you make wine out of all their stuff. That takes significantly more equipment for less returns than even hops.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 3, 2016

Silentplanet
Oct 14, 2012

I've started fresh a couple of times now and it seems that fishing constantly for at least the first week is a great way to get set up. Also, the iridium rod doesn't seem worth it unless you are trying to catch a legendary fish. You catch the same quality fish with the same ability just using a fiberglass rod (the bait is really handy though, so def get the fiberglass one).

I also found the community center to be a bit of a pain in the rear end unless you focus very strongly on completing the seasonal crops/fish/quality crops and spring forageables in spring. And continue doing so each season afterwards, if you miss spring you'll be kicking yourself all winter. (it's nice to be done by winter)

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
i missed a lot of spring community center stuff, it's not a big deal. it's a cool side project to keep in mind that doles out rewards every once in a while, not something you absolutely have to finish as fast as possible

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's

not really hard to idly do the foraging while wandering around (gently caress snow yams tho) or keep in mind the four crops you'll need to do, which you should ideally be doing at least a few of all of them anyway.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Funkmaster General posted:

How do I use crab pots? I managed to put one in the ocean off a pier right after making it, but accidentally picked it back up while trying to bait it. Now I can't seem to do anything with it at all anymore. Is it one-time-use or something?

Quoting for answer.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Combat level 5, does "50% increased critical strike chance" mean my chance to crit will be 50% + whatever it already was, or does it mean if my critical chance was 4, it becomes 6?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

(gently caress snow yams tho)

winter is the perfect season to upgrade your farming tools, the copper/iron hoe will have you drowning in snow yams and roots just from idly smacking frozen sand every once in a while

Khorne
May 1, 2002

YES bread posted:

i missed a lot of spring community center stuff, it's not a big deal. it's a cool side project to keep in mind that doles out rewards every once in a while, not something you absolutely have to finish as fast as possible
It's no big deal do it next year. I am wrapping it up in fall year 2.

Once people get a better grip on the game and there are guides they will definitely recommend you keep certain things year 1. Finishing minecarts and greenhouse helps a whole lot. Well, I don't have my greenhouse done yet but it should help a whole lot.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Quoting for answer.

they are re-useable, you should just be able to set it down in the water again. the placement square is right in front of your character while the actual graphic of the crab pot appears further out, maybe that's tripping you up?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
How do you get ancient seeds in the first place, anyway? I feel like I should have run across some by now.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I got mine from fishing treasure chest I believe.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Silentplanet posted:

Paid for a Joja membership on a new play through and now I don't have to do the quality crops bundle. I am pretty happy about this.

On the other hand, now you can never get the 100% rep gain increase, and the 3 free hearts with everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Aw geeze, I can't skip tiers on tools? I have to make all the intermediate stages? :mad: