Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Magres posted:

What all water areas count as what for fishing? I'm not really sure what's River and what's Lake

Everything in the town area is river, as is most of the forest area (I think the lake up by Wizard's tower counts as lake, but it may be river as well), the mountain area and the water in the secret forest is lake, and everything in the beach area is ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Make Stardew Great Again

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tarezax posted:

Make Stardew Great Again

i will build a wall around the gem sea to keep the merpeople from swimming in and flinging their pendants at everyone, and I'll make Merxico pay for it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What about bringing our troops back from Gogoro? :colbert:

Sam and Vincent want to see their dad again.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Everything in the town area is river, as is most of the forest area (I think the lake up by Wizard's tower counts as lake, but it may be river as well), the mountain area and the water in the secret forest is lake, and everything in the beach area is ocean.

There are also subregions in each body of water that have different quality of fish or types of fish, and with the exception of the last level in the mines, there are lakes every twentieth level.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does the mine have its own set of fish or is it just the same group as the lake outdoors? I never bring my fishing rod to the mine.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The mine has a fish for the specialty fish bundle.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fun Times! posted:

Does the mine have its own set of fish or is it just the same group as the lake outdoors? I never bring my fishing rod to the mine.

There's one generic fish that's shared between each of the three levels, and then one rare fish that can be caught on each level. They're worth substantially more than regular fish, but are 2x-3x harder to the catch. The fish on lvl 100 (Lava Eel or something) sells for like 1.1k if its a gold star. 60-70% of the time you'll be catching junk though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I currently have my kitchen full of kegs and am making the townspeople love me by throwing beer at them 10/10

I'm sure I have enough hops to give everyone 2 beers a week until summer hits again and I'll have the income to grow MORE hops

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Leal posted:

I currently have my kitchen full of kegs and am making the townspeople love me by throwing beer at them 10/10

I'm sure I have enough hops to give everyone 2 beers a week until summer hits again and I'll have the income to grow MORE hops

Are you throwing beers at the kids too?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
So was there ever any credence to that whole "blow 120F of the mine up with a mega bomb to get more floors" rumor? Because I just hit 120F and the elevator very obviously made space for more floors.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Oooohhh I had figured the stuff in the forest was lake :doh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Are you throwing beers at the kids too?

Hell yeah, they say they don't like it but I just need to keep trying. Give them some freebies, get them while they're young, give them a taste and they'll be lifetime customers.

When is micro brewing going to be implemented? I want to be a typical goon beer snob.

E: VVV I also wanna know that, if I should stop bothering watering the flower that I use to increase my honey prices.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 14, 2017

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Jesto posted:

If you leave crops unpicked when they're mature, does anything bad happen?

Or is it cool to just leave crops as they are until you get a day with High Luck from the TV, to increase the chance of golden harvests?

I would wager at least one side effect is delaying the next harvest if they're recurring. If they aren't... iirc in harvest moon eventually they'd rot but this isn't HM

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Man, he's a bastard to catch. Almost escaped a bunch of times but got him on the first hook in the end.

So... what do I do with it? Just sell it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jesto posted:

If you leave crops unpicked when they're mature, does anything bad happen?

Or is it cool to just leave crops as they are until you get a day with High Luck from the TV, to increase the chance of golden harvests?

It's super hard not to pick them anyway unless you're using sprinklers since the tool button/Lclick is also the harvest button.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Imagine if some guy moved into the local farm and decided to make beer for everyone and find random stuff for you all the time and restore the community center and actually buy stuff from the local store. What a cool guy

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
I've been playing this non stop since Monday and have really enjoyed how chill it is. After getting through the first year and getting a feel for everything except fishing, I decided to start a second file to work towards the Joja achievement. As I wouldn't be needing to collect items for bundles or working on friendships, I have chosen to focus on as exclusively as possible on foraging. Well at least the forestry side of it. I know this won't be the fastest way to reach that goal.

At the start of the game I sold my parsnip seeds, and placed my water can and fishing rod in a chest. I haven't once been into the mines.

It's not the fastest way to earn money, but it may be the chillest. There's no need to worry about watering crops, dieing to monsters, or getting annoyed at fish. At the start it was a little slow earning money from what I could forage and what wood I could cut before becoming exhausted. But once I got enough money to buy materials to upgrade the axe, I have seen profits increase.
I am at Y1 mid summer now, have shifted my main income from foraging to pine lumber, and expect my maple syrup collection to be in full swing by fall. My focus now is arranging the pine trees in an efficient manner and figuring out the best use for oaks.

Someone said earlier that the forestry skill isn't worth much. But if I have a good run I can gathering about 250 logs per day and that extra 50% helps improve profits. I can only see this amount going up as my pine plantation expands, and I upgrade my axe and stamina. I'm planning to get the hardwood perk at level 10 to boost profits even more.

This isn't a play style that will let me see everything the game has to offer, but it's an interesting change of pace. I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay with it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
What is the wheat to hops ratio for beer?
Stockpiling hops as I want to make more beer then what could be considered rational as soon as I unlock the recipe

Also finally unlocked tier 2 sprinklers! Soon I'll automate all of my watering and save 2 hours in the am for fishing and the mine :3

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

MediumWellDone posted:

This isn't a play style that will let me see everything the game has to offer, but it's an interesting change of pace. I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay with it.

Look, we drew straws and I got the short one so I have to break the news to you. You're playing the game completely and totally wrong compared to everyone else. I'm sorry, you'll just have to restart.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I dont understand why nothing is working today when I was able to successfully extract everything yesterday. I'm trying to repack shirts.png but the program is erroring out. Is it because it doesn't have a .yaml file to go with it?

If I provide a link to the edited file could somebody pack it and link the .xnb?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

1x hops - 1x pale ale
1x wheat - 1x beer

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

So does this game have the potential for significant modding? If it does that pretty much solidifies my purchase.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Finally went big with the farming ops year 2 summer, got 48 t2 sprinklers set up for 400 plants in a grid (and 2 scarecrows in the middle) plus a 9x9 grid of melons (now pumpkins in the fall).. it's still a lot of drat work patrolling a field that large and harvesting everything and replanting stuff, and manually watering the second patch, and tending to the animals, didn't get to spend much time in the mines. Hell I haven't even put stuff in my greenhouse yet, though mostly because I haven't decided what I want to do with it. Soon as one of my rabbits decides to lose a foot I'll have the Community Center finished finally.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Stockpiling hops as I want to make more beer then what could be considered rational as soon as I unlock the recipe

Also finally unlocked tier 2 sprinklers! Soon I'll automate all of my watering and save 2 hours in the am for fishing and the mine :3

It only takes 1 hop or 1 wheat to make 1 beer, and they both take the same amount of time to make. Only difference is that pale ale (hops) is worth more then beer (wheat) by 100 gold

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

For the love of... Where can I get a walleye? I've seen all sorts of contradicting stuff online. Best I've gathered is evening whilst rain/snowing but not sure where.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jaramin posted:

So does this game have the potential for significant modding? If it does that pretty much solidifies my purchase.

i don't think people are entirely sure yet what the limits are, but there's definitely a fair amount of stuff that can be played around with and the dev is more than willing to help people out with it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Also do any of the normal townspeople actually like any of the museum artifacts / rare stones from geodes, because I haven't found any. Even trying to give a 'dwarven gadget' to Maru which seems like the most obvious thing gives a strong dislike

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Shun townies.

Maximize crop yield.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Indecisive posted:

Also do any of the normal townspeople actually like any of the museum artifacts / rare stones from geodes, because I haven't found any.

Wizard considers the stones and gemstones (Not the diamond, emerald, ruby etc types you can get from mining) good gifts, the NPC you find in the mines considers the dwarven things good gifts. Just sell them if you don't need to donate them.

Edit: Just saw George's 6 heart scene. Hoo boy, that one hit close to home. Except with a landmine in a bunker. :(

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 4, 2016

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I dont understand why nothing is working today when I was able to successfully extract everything yesterday. I'm trying to repack shirts.png but the program is erroring out. Is it because it doesn't have a .yaml file to go with it?

If I provide a link to the edited file could somebody pack it and link the .xnb?

XNB Node actually reads the YAML, which tells it to pack the PNG. You do need the YAML. You can try repacking with XNB Builder, which does not need the YAML, just the PNG.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Ulvirich posted:

Look, we drew straws and I got the short one so I have to break the news to you. You're playing the game completely and totally wrong compared to everyone else. I'm sorry, you'll just have to restart.

Let me tell you about the trees...

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

XNB Node actually reads the YAML, which tells it to pack the PNG. You do need the YAML. You can try repacking with XNB Builder, which does not need the YAML, just the PNG.

Okay I got the YAML file but I can't seem to figure out how to repack it.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 4, 2016

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

MediumWellDone posted:

I've been playing this non stop since Monday and have really enjoyed how chill it is. After getting through the first year and getting a feel for everything except fishing, I decided to start a second file to work towards the Joja achievement. As I wouldn't be needing to collect items for bundles or working on friendships, I have chosen to focus on as exclusively as possible on foraging. Well at least the forestry side of it. I know this won't be the fastest way to reach that goal.

At the start of the game I sold my parsnip seeds, and placed my water can and fishing rod in a chest. I haven't once been into the mines.

It's not the fastest way to earn money, but it may be the chillest. There's no need to worry about watering crops, dieing to monsters, or getting annoyed at fish. At the start it was a little slow earning money from what I could forage and what wood I could cut before becoming exhausted. But once I got enough money to buy materials to upgrade the axe, I have seen profits increase.
I am at Y1 mid summer now, have shifted my main income from foraging to pine lumber, and expect my maple syrup collection to be in full swing by fall. My focus now is arranging the pine trees in an efficient manner and figuring out the best use for oaks.

Someone said earlier that the forestry skill isn't worth much. But if I have a good run I can gathering about 250 logs per day and that extra 50% helps improve profits. I can only see this amount going up as my pine plantation expands, and I upgrade my axe and stamina. I'm planning to get the hardwood perk at level 10 to boost profits even more.

B-b-b-b-b-ut.... the romance???

Honestly it does sound like a pretty fun twist on the game and seems really chill.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've finally joined the prestigious Glacierfish Crew.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Pulled in my first crop of 15 parsnips and the profit didn't seem terribly much. Are you meant to buy back all the seeds of the crop you just sold off? I thought maybe it would grow back on its own.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Some crops you plant once, harvest multiple times. You can tell which kind it is in the seed description.

Parsnips aren't hugely profitable but they have a relatively short growth time, which can be handy if you want a quick return on your investment, or you want to grow a bunch of stuff in the last week of the month. Generally the stuff that sticks around all season is less hassle if you plant a bunch of them on day one, since you don't have to deal with replanting.

Also make sure to fertilize your soil (craft it from tree sap) to up the chance of quality crop yields, they're worth a bit more than regular crops.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

what do you do with this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zodack posted:

So was there ever any credence to that whole "blow 120F of the mine up with a mega bomb to get more floors" rumor? Because I just hit 120F and the elevator very obviously made space for more floors.

Harmburger posted:

Chantilly Say posted:

*though I saw a post on Reddit suggesting there are secret floors past 120 if you use a Mega Bomb on the final chest, haven't checked that yet
You'd have to not ever open it. Here's what happens if you just light one in the chamber though: http://imgur.com/a/r62Sl nothing

I agree it's clear there seems to be space in the elevator for more floors, but megabomb is not it. (or at least didn't work for me)